Who's getting Fallout 3?

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

zegh

Post by zegh »

Nemon wrote:AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH!!!!

(I just lost karma because of spamming)

:(
oh look, a norskegian!

there, solidarity karma loss!
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Fallout 3 CS on its way...

http://bethsoft.com/bgsforums/
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

sweeeet

i might actually have to go get the game now XD
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
aro101
Developer Emeritus

Post by aro101 »

Fallout Rebuilt, or rather Washington Rebuilt, lol.
PoHa: how can we best this trio of trouble? who will save us from this menace of sub-par models? what will we do?
PoHa: I know! we'll shoot an Aro at them
Aro: you have only one Aro missile!
PoHa: yes, but its heat seeking and quite possibly indestructible

How to do not become a modeller - by Stryker:
[00:13:]Stryker: no tutorial, no no no
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

man, we already have washington. Bmore ftw!

(for the record, baltimore would make a kickass expansion. tons of interesting stuff around here)
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

I don't like necromancing but... am I the only one who thought Fallout 3 was a way better game than Oblivion?
Fugu23
Location: In my comfy chair, sippin' some lemonade and watching my cotton fields.

Post by Fugu23 »

Nope. I've so far enjoyed it tons. The atmosphere is much better for starters.

Anyone gotten the GECK yet?
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Yeah, almost exactly like the Oblivion CS, but tailored to fallout. A bit more powerful too, new scripting functions etc. Very very capable, with enough effort it could essentially handle almost anything one could want to make with a single player game. And the game has a decent ammount of non-scorched assets for building normal environments, speedtrees and all. So you could build a first person shooter/rpg in a non apocalyptic world. You could probably do a medeival/fantasy kind of world too, but without shields (unless there's a way to improvise them)

The game itself I find absolutely fantastic. Feels much more alive (albeit mutated) than oblivions or morrowind's world. People and groups wandering the wastes and randomly getting into fights, dismemberment, traveling merchants. Quests can be solved multiple ways, still not quite to the level of fallout 1/2 but I found with them, too many quests either became broken or unavailable way too easily if the player did the wrong thing.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

Eraser wrote: The game itself I find absolutely fantastic. Feels much more alive (albeit mutated) than oblivions or morrowind's world. People and groups wandering the wastes and randomly getting into fights, dismemberment, traveling merchants. Quests can be solved multiple ways, still not quite to the level of fallout 1/2 but I found with them, too many quests either became broken or unavailable way too easily if the player did the wrong thing.
That's exactly what I thought. I also love the fact that in Fallout they didn't litter the gameworld with standard dungeons like in Oblivion. Every location is unique and interesting and has it's place in the world. And I love the fact that I can plant explosives.
daedren
Developer

Post by daedren »

Just got it yesterday, I hope I can try it next week.
Though I prefer TES world, so Fallout is just another game. Never will get a game who beats any of TES. :D

EDIT: I've just started it our yesterday. Still in Tutorial, and I can say I'm pretty liking this game...! This much resembles oblivion engine system, and as I'm a hard fan of TES, I'm really enjoying the similarities between them.
Think my holidays are gonna be great... ;)
-- "From the heart, the light; from the head, the law." - Excerpt from "Book of Dawn and Dusk"

-- The Elder Scrolls will become even better with Tamriel Rebuilt.

-- Thanks to Minttu Hynninen - creator of my avatar - who gave me permission to use it.
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Add another vote to the hella fun side of the equation. They corrected many of the mistakes they made with oblivion while keeping the good stuff: They used a better variety of voice actors that made each character seem unique, made each location unique and interesting, and managed to keep away from the generic dungeon feel. Well some of the subways get a little monotonous after a while, but still. Exploring is a lot more fun than it was in oblvion. And somehow, shooting zombies in the face with a shotgun in slow-mo as the are leaping toward your character takes a long time to get old.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I absolutely loved it, but I beat EVERY quest (I checked the game guide at barnes and noble because I thought I HAD to be missing tons of stuff, only missed two small ones) after only three weeks. the "hundreds of hours" argument is bullshit.

Again, though, I loved it to pieces while it lasted - it's just absolutely nowhere near as many as gameplay hours as elder scrolls. Sure you can argue that each quest is much deeper and can be solved in four different ways, but I kind of forgot about that depth when I HAD FINISHED EVERY FREAKING ONE IN JUST THREE WEEKS. :'(
Also, as far as I know, almost no quests branch off in different directions depending on your decisions; it's just "good karma ending, bad karma ending, neutral karma ending" for the most part.

And what'd I do after I realized i'd beat an entire bethesda game in under a month?

Went back to playing Morrowind, of course. :P
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

sirwootalot123 wrote:only three weeks. the "hundreds of hours" argument is bullshit.
Three weeks = over one thousand hours
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

aro101 wrote:Fallout Rebuilt, or rather Washington Rebuilt, lol.
Probably would be North America Rebuilt (NAR) as Tamriel is a whole continent.

Or, perhaps we could expand this project to the whole planet of TES: Nirn Rebuilt (NR)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then it would be Earth Rebuilt (ER) for FO3.

Of course, then we might not have the lore to built all of the other continents (Akavir, Yokuda, Aldmeris...)
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

I don't think TR is gonna branch out to Fallout. TR modders are still free to join a Fallout project as well if they want of course (many of our best modders are active in several projects).
Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

Well, I certainly didn't think TR was going to go out of the ES world (even though I heard something about FO3 being Oblivion with guns). Although, you never know about Nirn Rebuilt :wink: ...
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Nirn Rebuilt?

The starting ambition was "create the entire continent for Morrowind", it was then toned way down to "create one province per game", so it's not going to be toned up to "create the entire world, mwahahahaha!"

Even if TES5 comes with even better landscape generators that do a perfect job for creating the entire world, the concepting, modeling, texturing and animating required to create all the stuff that will go in said landmass is staggering.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I got Fallout 3 for Christmas... its a shame that the textures.bsa file won't install ;(
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
bamman62
Developer

Post by bamman62 »

I got Fallout 3 with Christmas money.

I also downloaded the GECK, loads fast compared to the Oblivion CS (Not to mention tons of extra options for custom weapons).
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Haplo wrote:
sirwootalot123 wrote:only three weeks. the "hundreds of hours" argument is bullshit.
Three weeks = over one thousand hours
According to steam, my brother and I combined have 84 hours total playing FO3; he plays a bit more than I do, so i've got no more than 45 hours. It's alot of game, but for bethesda (oblivion has at least 80, AFAIK), it's highly disappointing. I just hope that this downward trend doesn't continue on to the next elder scrolls. :-/
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

sirwootalot123 wrote:According to steam, my brother and I combined have 84 hours total playing FO3; he plays a bit more than I do, so i've got no more than 45 hours. It's alot of game, but for bethesda (oblivion has at least 80, AFAIK), it's highly disappointing. I just hope that this downward trend doesn't continue on to the next elder scrolls. :-/
That's not really relevant to my quote... Also, 45x2 = 90, not something less than 84. 84/2 = 42, and if he's played more than you, than you could have something like no more than 42 or 40 hours, perhaps. Your math in this thread is worrisome.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Man, Fallout 3 is boring.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

Nemon wrote:Man, Fallout 3 is boring.
[Equips Reservist Rifle]

[Enters VATS mode]

[Switches target from "Haplo" to "Nemon"]

[Targets "Groin"]

[Queues 3 shots]

[Accepts]

:)
"When you find out someone's sleeping with your wife, you want to kill the f***er"
~Prof. Gardner

"You wiki'd my girlfriend?"
~Dexter
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

There's no groin shots in Fallout 3. :P
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Since I started playing Team Fortress 2, I haven't felt the urge to return to my cowgirl sniper in some time.
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

Gez wrote:There's no groin shots in Fallout 3. :P
I have a mod that says otherwise. :P
"When you find out someone's sleeping with your wife, you want to kill the f***er"
~Prof. Gardner

"You wiki'd my girlfriend?"
~Dexter
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

OMG where?!

Well, it depends how you play, you can rush through oblivion fairly easily too. I walk everywhere, scrounge and explore, get lost and I'm several hundred hours into my char and I haven't even been near a good half of the map.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

After running a test, Fallout 3 cannot run on my PC (integrated graphic chipset too old), so I won't be getting it any time soon.
Aiwyn the Breton
Developer

Post by Aiwyn the Breton »

A little OT...

sorry, but I couldn't resist :D

[url=http://abadir.deviantart.com/art/Lady-Nerevar-playing-Fallout-111214714]link[/url]

No offence, Lady N. I just can't help to change the colors when I saw the original picture... XD
Maybe an idea for the Baltimore Expansion... :roll:
I hate [url=http://abadir.deviantart.com/art/The-Mad-God-111454948]Almalexia[/url].
The seven schools of magic: Alteration, Mysticism, Destruction, Conjuration, Illusion, Restoration and Computer Programming
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

not offended, its absolutely adorable :D
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Ok, I know I'm bumping this and you can chew me out later, but:

Fallout 3 was fucking amazing. I felt that it was surpassed Oblivion in some respects (but not Morrowind, obviously). I'm fascinated with post-apocalyptic settings to begin with and Fallout 3 was pretty much pure, unadulterated, sex.

Yeah, Arth's two cents...or caps.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Well then it means my laptop can't get it up. :P
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

oh, the irony...
[url=http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5838/img9531.jpg][img]http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5838/img9531.th.jpg[/img][/url]

im on the left, sorry its so blurry (forgot flash).
[url=http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/7199/img9532.jpg][img]http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/7199/img9532.th.jpg[/img][/url]
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Ah... That looks cool. Where is that, by the way?

Did you not use your fancy new camera for that picture? :o
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Interior Reviews: 168
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

no way would i be carrying that thing around NY the day after i got it :P

it was in some music/video shop (cant remember the name) in times square. the shop was going out of business, so i was actually considering buying the statue. the issue of transport back to baltimore would have been difficult however...
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!