Map 3 Detailing Claim #6

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Kasan Moor
Developer

Post by Kasan Moor »

Could you be more specific on the other stuff that needs to be done? I might want to claim this one.
"Bling shizzle, here's a revizzle . . .oh god, I'm so white. . . "
-Jacurutu

"and since Armor of Tamriel has been delayed longer than Half Life 2, I have no idea if it exists or not." -Dexter
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

fix the rivers according to that image, and take care of any errors and low quality areas. Not really much else to say.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

During the latest WIP merge, I recall quite some land seams in the general area of Almalexia. Almalexia demands beauty.
Kasan Moor
Developer

Post by Kasan Moor »

I'll take a look at it one of these days and decide to claim this or not.
-Jacurutu

"and since Armor of Tamriel has been delayed longer than Half Life 2, I have no idea if it exists or not." -Dexter
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I don't believe you've been promoted for exterior work under the current showcase/modder system we have now, which is a prerequisite for this important stage.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Kasan Moor
Developer

Post by Kasan Moor »

I have done map 2 detailing..
-Jacurutu

Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

There was also some talk about redoing Othrenis (sp?), aka Gah Ruhn. So detailer might look into that as well.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Othrenis indeed would deserve to be improved most of map 3 settlements. The problem is interiors for this have already been made, but hopefuly they could be reused here or elsewhere. I had some ideas of features that could be used in this town, hope I can find the screenshots and post them here...
THEO
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

I probubly shouldn't, but I would really really love to claim this. I've already had a look in the CS and the only cells that need proper detailing are in the western half of the claim (heaps of missing vertex shading - my favorite area of eterior modding). Almalexia and her surroundings only require a few tweaks.

Pretty please?
*puppy dog eyes*
Macar: At last, I have a coleague to work with.

Lady N: Jedak-of-all-trades
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Okay, have fun and if you need to change river layouts, please refer to the picture posted in the first post.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

OK, I need to ask about a couple of major changes here:

1: The western river is split by a hill range toward the north - I am assuming that the river should go through it rather than cut off at both sides?

2: Does Othrenis need to be rebuilt? If so, what needs doing?

3: I have retextured the roads around Almalexia to be mainroad AI textures rather than the standard road tex's. Is this correct?

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

1: what does the river map say?

2: How does it look? What is it even?

3: If it looks like a more fitting road, then yes.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

Jedak wrote:OK, I need to ask about a couple of major changes here:

1: The western river is split by a hill range toward the north - I am assuming that the river should go through it rather than cut off at both sides?

2: Does Othrenis need to be rebuilt? If so, what needs doing?

3: I have retextured the roads around Almalexia to be mainroad AI textures rather than the standard road tex's. Is this correct?
Answer to question 3: Finally, I guess I was not the only one.
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

OK, did a teeny bit of work on this, started some major changes (such as the whole river mess with the layouts and the paths) but not enough yet to upload. I'll finish detailing a couple more Northern cells and then I'll update. I had a VERY busy week.

And for when I get to it: Othrenis has an ugly mixture of velothi and indoril exterior builings and has a very blocky unnatural shape. The problem is that the number of indoril/velothi builings is pretty equal so it would be quite a waste to just chuck out so many interiors (plus, theres the fantastic underground complex I wouldn't want to stuff up).

:|

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Yes, othrenis is a the major problem to be solved in this detailing area. Moreover I think it is too big and to close to Almalexia. What I would suggest is to export the velothi interiors to extra file, and use them in another place (map 4 perhaps) and to use remaining Indoril buildings to remake the town.
THEO
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

I had an idea of Othrenis being a pure-Indoril venice like town with artificial canals... Have a look at TR_Testing cell in here to get some inspiration:
THEO
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

There is already a Venice town. Try something new.

Why not move all the Velothi architecture to one side of the river and the Indoril stuff to the other. That way you either have A: two towns that merged. B: 1 town in which Indoril made its presence known.

Velothi works perfectly with ALL House tilesets because it not only predates them, but was the essential architecture for thousands of years.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Generally separating the different sorts of architecture set would be good. Depending on how the interiors look like, the velothi tileset could become the upper class either surrounded by the velothi achitectre or, perhaps, surrounding it at a slightly higher elevation.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

A cool looking height-differentiation would be cool. I love anything with cliffs and bridges and stuff. That always looks good in Morrowind. A town with two architecture styles just 'split by a river' could look a bit silly and arbitrary (did the first guys not bother to build on the other side?)

Also, isn't this place called 'Othrensis'? Or am I misremembering?
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Separating the Indoril buildings and the Velothi buildings is IMO the best way to go for Othrensis. It'll give it some character and should (hopefully) de-uglify the style mixing.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:A town with two architecture styles just 'split by a river' could look a bit silly and arbitrary (did the first guys not bother to build on the other side?)
Historically, it's been seen often in the real world, at least until bridges are built.
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

what if I make it a little like two little towns.

Like Othrenis and Old Othrenis?

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:A cool looking height-differentiation would be cool. I love anything with cliffs and bridges and stuff. That always looks good in Morrowind.
That would be cool but the town lies in the middle of plains with a river and ocasional ponds here and there. I would be fore making the town smaller and Indoril only and using the interiors to some map 6 town.

But spliting the town to 2 is also fine, I think if there is a visible and logical split.
THEO
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I reckon the town should be left at the size it is, divided into two in some manner.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Chances are, Othrensis will be made entirely Velothi, swapping its MH interiors for Sailen Vulgate's Velothi interiors. Othrensis IS a Velothi town with some Indoril buildings, not an Indoril town with Velothi buildings. Read over the discussion in the private forum. So far Haplo and Gez both agree that this would be the sanest thing to do. That way, you don't have to worry about 2 cities or a divided city.
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

According to the Arena map of Morrowind, there is a major dungeon just southwest of Almalexia. Just something to keep in mind. I've wandered Map3 for years and I don't think Im aware of any special dungeon in that area.

http://www.imperial-library.info/maps/arena_morrowind.shtml
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

UPDATE

The BC area in the NW is done and a little of the surroundings. Other little miscellanios thing have been done all around the claim as well. Not a big update but an update notheless.

May I have permission to add entrance to awesomesauce dungeon? I don't think it should have just a little hole in the ground so some ideas would be appreciated (I would LOVE to make a little OM ruin for it, but that might be too uber)

Also, how are we going to get the interiors swapped for the buildings from that other town to othrenis? Or should I just not worry, look into the exterior of the other town and add all of the Velothi builing from there to othrenis?

I am not too fond of the town ATM - its far to square and boring (Boring = wrong (thank you Sload)). I most definately will be remaking the town.

Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

Heres the file

Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

For the building swap, talk to Zalz and decide which settlement is getting MH interiors, and which is getting Velothi ones. Then just TESAME and send the interiors to each other. Making the exteriors to match them shouldn't be that hard.

Whenever you want to add interiors, just say so. As long as you don't go stupid with them, I'll create interior claims for you.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Hemitheon wrote:According to the Arena map of Morrowind, there is a major dungeon just southwest of Almalexia. Just something to keep in mind. I've wandered Map3 for years and I don't think Im aware of any special dungeon in that area.

http://www.imperial-library.info/maps/arena_morrowind.shtml
That's the Black Gate.
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

Does that mean it should exist?

Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

No, it doesn't mean so.

The Arena map being what it is, the location of the Black Gate on it should not be considered reliable anyway. I was thinking of saying Bis Andryon is the Black Gate, since it is a large stronghold that is in that region, but the idea has been shot down.

Mostly, we shouldn't care too much about Arena.
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

We've had that discussion before. Even Sload said Bis'Andryon is not the Black Gate. In fact, he says screw Black Gate. The Black Gate needs to be on the west side of Almalexia not the East.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Some kind of suggestion a dungeon was there ought to be present. I believe Barenziah herself even went there, as stated in in-game lore.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Hemitheon wrote:We've had that discussion before.
It might even explain why I said the idea had been shot down.
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Missed that last line. Sorry, Gez.

I'd say include the remains of the exterior without linking it to any interior, in other words, a blocked entrance.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Make it a mostly-caved-in dungeon in OM style so Hemitheon can do the interior, and place it where there's plenty of space, but as close to the spot on the Arena map as possible. It should not be readily accessible (by that I mean not on the side of the road or anything).

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

Will do.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Please see MMMowSkwoz' last post in this thread immediately, before you use the save your progress using the latest TR_Data:

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=21429&start=80

MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

If you've already saved your file with the most recent version of TR_Data (1st March), the replacement is slightly more complicated:

- Download the TR_Data_intermediate.esm from the other thread and rename it TR_Data
- Locate the last backup you made which was dependent on the old TR_Data (January)
- Open this file using the version of TR_Data you just downloaded
- Find all references of any Yilgamseh books in your claim region. Note down their locations and which book it was
- Now close the CS, remove the version of TR_Data you just downloaded
- Open up your most recent file using the most recent version of TR_Data
- Go to each of the locations where a Yilgamseh book was removed (the ones you noted down) and fill the gap with the appropriate Gospel (see list in other thread).

You only need to do this if you've already saved your file with the newest TR_Data loaded. If you haven't done this, please follow the instructions in the other thread.

[url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=21429&start=80]>Other thread<[/url]

Sorry about this.
MaMeeshkaMowSkwoz - choose your syllables