Proofreader and Loremaster Available

In order to implement content in-game, you must be a Developer. This is the place for you to introduce yourself, and apply to become a TR Developer.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Phoenix1701

Proofreader and Loremaster Available

Post by Phoenix1701 »

Greetings!

I recently got around to downloading and installing both Telvannis and Antediluvian Secrets for Morrowind, and I am highly impressed. TR is the only "expansion" mod (that is, a mod that adds original content) that I have ever installed on more than an experimental basis; my standards are very, very high, and TR goes a very long way toward meeting them. Your meshes fit, your textures fit, your NPCs fit, even the tone of your dialog and the feel of the region fit. As I wandered happily around Telvannis District, I found to my great pleasure that if anything, this mod enhanced the sense of immersion rather than detracting from it.

That is, until I picked up a book.

Don't get me wrong: many of the writers here are very skilled, and the vast majority of what I read was both entertaining and well-written. Much of it even felt like it belonged in Morrowind. But in just about every book, I found relatively large numbers of misspellings, grammatical errors, and linguistic inconsistencies. And not just confusions of "there" with "their," either: I found Vvardenfell spelled with a single V, Daedra spelled "deadra," passages praising the great Prophet Velothi (his name was Veloth), references to things as "cyrodiilic" (small C, two i's -- the adjectival form of Cyrodiil is "Cyrodilic"), etc. Just to give an accurate impression of how rampant this sort of thing is, the section in the FAQ about proofreading (http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=16311) itself contains at least two grammatical errors (more if, like any reasonable individual, you consider the use of the Oxford comma mandatory). ;)

So, by complaining about this, I realize that I've basically just volunteered myself to go fix it. And that's exactly what I'd like to do. Although I would also be willing to write new works from scratch, any contributions of that sort would probably have to be sporadic at best. Proofreading, on the other hand, is something I can do one sentence at a time as I see things in-game that make that particular vein in my forehead throb.

I'm not certain what the procedure is for this, since obviously proofreading doesn't lend itself well to "claims," and it certainly wouldn't do to have me submit a fixed-up version of the entire mod that's weeks or months out of date. But if you can lend me some guidance as to how I could be most helpful, I would be happy to make my services available.

Oh, I should mention that I am also fairly adept at modding interiors, so I'm not a newbie to how TESCS works.
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

*Paging Nanu Ra. Nanu Ra, if you're in the building, please report to the showcase aisle.*

But in all seriousness, those are some excellent points. I, too, am somewhat of a grammar nazi and experience my fair share of language-related headaches. Speaking unofficially, I'm sure the project would benefit greatly from someone who is willing to go through everything line by line correcting errors (there's quite a bit of dialogue that could use a good once-over). Proofreading alone isn't something for which one can be promoted, but members are occasionally promoted for literature. If you would like to post a sample of your work for our Head of Literature to peruse, that would be great.

Welcome to TR.
Q1-77-Tel current progress:
[url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=266462#266462]Journals 100% done.[/url]
Practical implementation is now underway.
Phoenix1701

Post by Phoenix1701 »

Faalen wrote:Proofreading alone isn't something for which one can be promoted, but members are occasionally promoted for literature. If you would like to post a sample of your work for our Head of Literature to peruse, that would be great.
Er, promoted? From what, to what? If that implies more responsibility, please let me assure you that I have no desire to be promoted. ;) I may change my tune if and when I eventually get sucked into the project, but for the moment all I'm interested in is fixing some errors and perhaps contributing a story or two subject to approval from reviewers. If it requires a promotion to actually contribute content, then I could probably be persuaded to post a sample (which I would likely have to cook up on the spot).
Kasan Moor
Developer

Post by Kasan Moor »

Phoenix1701 wrote:
Faalen wrote:Proofreading alone isn't something for which one can be promoted, but members are occasionally promoted for literature. If you would like to post a sample of your work for our Head of Literature to peruse, that would be great.
Er, promoted? From what, to what? If that implies more responsibility, please let me assure you that I have no desire to be promoted. ;) I may change my tune if and when I eventually get sucked into the project, but for the moment all I'm interested in is fixing some errors and perhaps contributing a story or two subject to approval from reviewers. If it requires a promotion to actually contribute content, then I could probably be persuaded to post a sample (which I would likely have to cook up on the spot).
Since TR raised it's standards, modders need to showcase previous work and be promoted to TR Modder to actively contribute on the project. That said, I think you will be promoted soon, especially if you got Lady N on your side. Welcome to TR. :)
"Bling shizzle, here's a revizzle . . .oh god, I'm so white. . . "
-Jacurutu

"and since Armor of Tamriel has been delayed longer than Half Life 2, I have no idea if it exists or not." -Dexter
NexUmMonastica
Developer

Post by NexUmMonastica »

Just to give an accurate impression of how rampant this sort of thing is, the section in the FAQ about proofreading (http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=16311) itself contains at least two grammatical errors (more if, like any reasonable individual, you consider the use of the Oxford comma mandatory).

its alot better to use the command if you're using a link as an example:
[url]http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=16311[/url]

and spelling and grammar is a big thing in published mods: not even big companies take the time to proofread 100% anymore. And being a "tr modder" does not make you responsible for other people: It just means you have limited acces to important forums/utility downloads, and you can claim potential projects and submit your work to be reviewed.

as a member your work is simply "showcased" to get picked for promotion.
...killing a six-pack of beer just to watch it die.

"you are awesome... become female so you can bear my children "
"This has been a known occurrence for years. We will not fix it." - Thriggy
"Anal crits are my specialty..." N
MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

Whilst becoming a TR modder is the norm, if you only wish to contribute one single thing to the project, I don't think it's entirely necessary. [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=21124]Abot[/url], for example, just contributed his excellent script fixes. We checked them, made a few minor alterations, and implemented them. He never became a TR modder, but his contribution was extremely valuable.

Also, yay for the Oxford comma!
MaMeeshkaMowSkwoz - choose your syllables
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

TR uses american english. Some of the errors you report like deadra without capitals are minor, but I think you're welcome to correct those mistakes.
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Currently Map1 is being fixed for minor details. Perhaps, at one point, we could use Phoenix to look over the dialogue of Map1 for any grammatical/syntactical errors. So in case a member of the Core drops by, perhaps they'll think about that.
Phoenix1701

Post by Phoenix1701 »

blackbird wrote:TR uses american english. Some of the errors you report like deadra without capitals are minor, but I think you're welcome to correct those mistakes.
Except daedra is spelled "ae," not "ea," which is a substantially less minor error. :) Capitalization is actually not required.

Though I'm not quite sure what you're referring to by noting that TR uses American English, I do too -- I savor colors and flavors with good humor like many of my neighbors. The Oxford comma is pretty widely accepted in American as well as British English. When people ask me what the advantage is, I often quote a book dedication (which probably never existed, but serves to illustrate the point well): To my parents, Ayn Rand and God.

MMMowSkowz, it's good to hear that I may be able to contribute some fixes without lots of rigamorole. :) Concocting a story actually sounds fun, so I think I will do so anyway, but if I get mercilessly stomped on by the reviewers I will probably go that route instead.

Thanks all for the warm welcome!
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

capitalization of daedroth/daedra is dependent on the usage.

Daedroth (archaic form) Azura
Daedra Azura

The daedroth attacked me.
The daedra attacked me.

You capitalize with the names of Oblivion lords and lowercase with the creatures, unless the creature is a really powerful one.
Phoenix1701

Post by Phoenix1701 »

Yup, what Hemitheon said. If it's a title, you capitalize it; if it's a descriptive noun, you don't. Sort of like "Hi, Mom" vs. "your mom". *ahem*
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

Ok, I haven't noticed the orthography.
Phoenix1701

Post by Phoenix1701 »

Okay, so I finally got around to writing something for you all... I noticed that there wasn't a whole lot written about the formation of the alliance between Chimer and Dwemer to drive out the Nords from Resdayn, so I decided to fill the gap a bit. This particular history leaves out the question of how Nerevar arranged for the Dwemer to show up to begin with, but of course we know how that happened from other sources (it was his friendship with Dumac). Anyway, I hope you enjoy it, and yes, I was somewhat intentionally channeling J.R.R. Tolkien here.

[Edit: forgot to mention, I am happy to discuss any questions of lore that may be raised; I've been pretty careful not to assume too much here, but it's always possible I've missed something somewhere.]

------------------------------------

Of the Battle of Valenvaryon
And the Alliance of Chimer and Dwemer

At last the outlanders thought with guile to put ashore with great force near to the Sheogorad, for there the armies of the Chimer came seldom and few indeed traveled to tell of the coming of the enemy. But the cunning of Nerevar was greater still, and he foresaw the tactic, saying to his counselors, “send mer fleet of foot and hardy to the edge of the Sea, but tell them there to remain until the camps of the outlanders dot the beaches. They will not see the ships, for the enemy is skilled at the finding of hidden places among the rocks; but the outlanders' fires are large and they know not what tinder smokes and what shall not. Once they have gathered in force, return with all haste and we shall make ready for them.â€Â￾

And so it was that the first of the runners returned to Valenvaryon, whither Nerevar had retired with a force of many hundred mer, and they said to him, “the beaches glow with the fires of the enemy, my lord, countless as the stars of Aetherius. Whence came they we know not, but we were afraid and did not wait for more to appear. My lord, unless there is some trick, the number of the enemy is beyond our strength; if we stand fast here it will be with our deaths only that we shall meet!â€Â￾ But Nerevar said, “speak not so quickly of such bleak ends. Stand we will, and both fear and death will be theirs to meet.â€Â￾ And so he rose and went out, and mustered to arms all those who dwelt within the walls. And still the runners were afraid, but they perceived that Nerevar spoke with the conviction of a one who has insight that others lack, and took up their bows and their spears with the rest.

In the morning the great gates of Valenvaryon were opened, and the host of Nerevar came forth to battle, arrayed in all the splendor of the Chimer. The banners of the Great Houses flew high and proud, and the hilts of fine ebony blades glinted darkly in the brightness of the sun. Still in sight of the fortress the army halted, and there they stood in ranks facing northward, and there was silence all about but for the blowing of the wickwheat in the breeze. And many grew restless and fearful, and hearkening to the edge of their senses thought yet that they heard the footfalls of the outlanders as a great rumbling of the earth, and were filled with dread. But soon there came a cry from a scout who had taken a position on a little hill, and he pointed to the east and shouted, “Dwemer! The Dwemer are come!â€Â￾ And all looked to the east, and as they watched they saw afar the glint of sun on metal and heard the great hissing of the steam centurions, and the Chimer despaired and upon the host of Nerevar settled a great hopelessness. And Almalexia turned to Nerevar saying, “we must retreat to Valenvaryon and prepare there our defense. All our hope has come to naught with this new treachery; I wonder only that we did not foresee it sooner. The Dwemer are full of hate and would sooner join with outlanders and risk their own servitude than see the Chimer victorious.â€Â￾ But Nerevar looked upon her sadly and said, “and how shall it be otherwise, when those with whom they might treat are so quick to condemn them as traitors! I feared that you would say such a thing, but it is not so: the Dwemer have come because I have asked it of them.â€Â￾

Almalexia heard this with astonishment, and in her anger almost called Nerevar for a traitor too, but in the end she could not meet his gaze, and looked at the ground in her shame. And Nerevar went before the assembled Chimer even as the Dwemer drew closer, and threw wide his arms and said, “hear me, for we stand this day not at an end, but at a beginning! It was told to me that the outlanders come in great number, and that to stand against them was folly. I said that the folly was theirs, and I show you now the reason for my defiance! It was told to me also that the Dwemer are treacherous, and that in their blasphemy they would never join us against those who would take our lands and our lives. Now I say this: such counsel is ill taken, and though their worship be profane and their ways not our own, they will spill their blood for Resdayn this day. And so shall the enemy discover, to his sorrow! So let us put aside now that which brings us to each other's throats, and let our blades and our arrows find their targets instead with those who seek to take from us our homes and our lives! For Resdayn!â€Â￾

And Nerevar drew his sword, and it sparkled in the sunlight, and the ring of Moon-and-Star upon his finger sparkled with living magicka, and a great cry of “Resdayn!â€Â￾ went up among the Chimer. And soon it was heard that the Dwemer, too, cried “Resdayn!,â€Â￾ and as the enemy came up over the hills to the north it was to the sound of a thunder of voices. And as Nerevar charged, so the Chimer and the Dwemer rushed forth together, and the sun glinted on the golden skin of the Chimer and the golden bronze of the Dwemer's centurions, and it was as a flood of golden light that the hosts of Resdayn set upon the enemy. And the faces of the invaders fell, and they faltered in their advance and were overwhelmed, and the blades of the Chimer and the Dwemer sang as they cut the enemy asunder. And as the outlanders fell upon the field to their utter destruction, so began the long age of peace and the glory of Resdayn.
Phoenix1701

Post by Phoenix1701 »

Lady Nerevar wrote: If your showcase has not received a reply in over a week please bump it!
Okay! *bump*
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

I actually like it, but i do think that the tolkein-channeling can be toned down in places. maybe add a few commas or something, im not sure, its at the moment a bit *too* hard to read imo. i think its the word order in particular, its technically correct but not instantly understood by the general populus.

remember, its very hard to get promoted for literature, as we have a ton of books already. I hope nanu sees this soon, but if not feel free to send him a PM.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!