Dres Concept Art

Place where art is developed for our game.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

Yes, I have been thinking about that. I was planning on doing several doorjam designs. The cantons are pretty big, those doors are big, there is actually quite a bit of room there, but don't worry, the actual model will have space.
My Art: [url]http://demi-urgic.deviantart.com/[/url]
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

I don't know if this should go here, but the Dres area is far enough away from Vvardenfell I feel like it might apply. What type of flora are being used in the southern area of MW? My question mostly pertains to the small area of Dres lands that are said to be swampy. Will the BC trees be used? And will there be ANY land around there that would be labeled as "jungle"? I know most Dres lands are supposed to be plains though, right?

On another subject, I am still hoping for some new developments on Dres architecture. So I hope the mods don't consider this thread dead yet, or they'll be mad at me for resurrecting it :P
Gentlemen, start your striders:
[url]http://tristikov.deviantart.com/art/G-Dunmer-wit-Siltstridaz-dawg-28071455[/url]
hmmmm... I should have looked at this guys DA gallery before posting a link to it... he likes horses... a little too much
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

I think Turelio is still working on concepts, but he's stated before progress is slow due to general business or something like that. I don't think Dres is very high priority atm anyway, so there's no reason to rush this. :)
Myzel's Art gallery: [url]http://themyzel.deviantart.com/[/url]
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

There will be, and already is a few pieces, of unique argon jungle flora. The plant that dirnae just fixed is actually supposed to be found there. Check TR_Data's flora under the AJ prefix. (no guarantees it is any good).

As for Turelio, last I heard he was in Germany without internet.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Terraced rice patties, jungles, swampy areas, hills, plains, etc.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Ter13

Post by Ter13 »

I spent a bit of time working on a quick mock-up for [url=http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/1353/richhouseconcept1c.jpg]this[/url] concept. [url=http://i43.tinypic.com/2vuc5xj.png]Here[/url] is what I came up with...

It's nothing fancy, and there's no texture yet. Just a ten minute model.

There are actually three models done in that picture. The door, the window, and the manor. I'm going to get a few more done today before I head off to work. Will post updates in a bit.
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Looks good. The only thing I can suggest is follow the lines of the concept closer. Yours is a a bit boxy whereas the concept graceful slopes to the top. Likewise, your building is 3 stories whereas the concept is 2 1/2. Elongate the windows; notice that the frieze-thing (lack of a better word) that goes around the lower half of the build. In the design, it slopes as well. In your model, it's boxed. Lastly, the doorjamb should slope as well. Oh and that top-piece is larger in the design. Good work.

On the other hand, TR hasn't officially chosen this design for House Dres. However, I personally don't see anything wrong with your creating an example of the concept art.
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

Ter13 wrote:I spent a bit of time working on a quick mock-up for [url=http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/1353/richhouseconcept1c.jpg]this[/url] concept. [url=http://i43.tinypic.com/2vuc5xj.png]Here[/url] is what I came up with...

It's nothing fancy, and there's no texture yet. Just a ten minute model.

There are actually three models done in that picture. The door, the window, and the manor. I'm going to get a few more done today before I head off to work. Will post updates in a bit.
Ah, I didn't see these. Very cool, but as Hemitheon said, the building in the concept is 2 1/2 stories and the sides need to slope more. Other than that, you could probably make the door and windows a little bit more slanted down, perhaps with more of a pronounced difference between the curved part flush with the wall and the part that is facing out. The top and bottom could be pushed out a smidgen more from the main body of the building.

Also, what do other people think about what Ter13 did with the roof?
[url]http://tristikov.deviantart.com/art/G-Dunmer-wit-Siltstridaz-dawg-28071455[/url]
hmmmm... I should have looked at this guys DA gallery before posting a link to it... he likes horses... a little too much
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

I kind of like it, but yea it needs to slope a bit more. Also, I don't know anything about your process, but doorjams and windows would probably be better as separate models from the house.

I don't not have internet as much as I don't have to tools to work on my stuff, and of course even less time, that I shouldn't spend reading on forums for hours on end. I'll be back soon though.
My Art: [url]http://demi-urgic.deviantart.com/[/url]
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

Túrelio wrote:I don't not have internet as much as I don't have to tools to work on my stuff, and of course even less time, that I shouldn't spend reading on forums for hours on end. I'll be back soon though.
Alright, I'm looking forward to your return!
I feel you though. I've been using an iPod touch as a "computer" since my laptop was busted at the beginning of the summer. I can't even play morrowind, let alone mod it. At least I've got email and a "browser". Those are the tools I can't do without.
Vaelen Dreth

Post by Vaelen Dreth »

Hi there, just a fan lurking around here. I made a VERY quick sketch on how to place the poor people in Tear, if the 'open canton' idea was to be used. Placing them in cold, wet, fragile shacks next to the cantons, just above water level would seem fitting if the hierarchical height system with pits and towers is going to be used.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2975/randoms.png
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

I've got a few ideas im working on atm for some lesser dres architecture, likes some farming houses/saltrice fields, I had a wierd dream about it the other day :?

Anyway, Túrelio, I wanted to know for this picture:
[img]http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/8272/tearconcept1.jpg[/img]

What kind of colour scheme do you picture the outside of these buildings in? maybe Earthy colours?

If I find a scanner, I'll upload some drawings.
Dexter (on IAS): "Since when do you need to be able to do backflips to dig holes?" Fri 29 Jul, 2005 3:57:03
Sload (on Narsis): "Jesus Christ, I wonder why there was lag when you had an 80,000 face gazebo." Thu 09 Apr, 2009 11:46:33
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Probably dark colors. Grey, navy, maybe just deep blue, etc. with gold trim. Likely House Dres colors, or a scheme that fits their personality and their ideals.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

No gold trim please. Dark grey would be nice
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Gold leafing actually goes incredibly well with dark blue, and would fit with some stuff we already have made.

Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

its too western
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
jonarus_drakus
Developer

Post by jonarus_drakus »

Looking at the picture posted by RelinQ:

With the idia in mind that its supposed to be Dres, how about a solid mid-grey with a hint of purple undertone for the Draker stripes around top and bottom, with i more generic grey for the majority. The thin white stripes that border the darker stripes would be in a mildly contasting colour, Im thinking a sandy yellow... see my rough job (done in MS-paint) attached.
Attachments
My only concern is that it does look a little... pastel...
My only concern is that it does look a little... pastel...
drescoloured.JPG (6.1 KiB) Viewed 6774 times
~Give yourself to the Darkside, We have Dental!
~The Death-Star lounge will now hold happy hour every night from 11.
~DUN DUN DUN, Da Da-DAH, Da Da-DAH! (imperial march)
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Too purple I think... more earthy and grey would feel about right.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Tur actually had some color schemes before he left.
jonarus_drakus
Developer

Post by jonarus_drakus »

Tyrion wrote:Too purple I think... more earthy and grey would feel about right.
Yeah, i was a little worried that the colour was a little 'strong'. Heres another version where i have tried to bleed out the colour a bit more. This time i have also added a '3-part' colour chart to give a very basic plan with which the colour sceme could be 'test aplied' to other structures/designs.
Attachments
drescoloured.JPG
drescoloured.JPG (9.23 KiB) Viewed 6749 times
~Give yourself to the Darkside, We have Dental!
~The Death-Star lounge will now hold happy hour every night from 11.
~DUN DUN DUN, Da Da-DAH, Da Da-DAH! (imperial march)
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Haplo wrote:Gold leafing actually goes incredibly well with dark blue, and would fit with some stuff we already have made.
You could try a copper sort of colour or even a chromey-like silver could work. as opposed to gold.
Dexter (on IAS): "Since when do you need to be able to do backflips to dig holes?" Fri 29 Jul, 2005 3:57:03
Sload (on Narsis): "Jesus Christ, I wonder why there was lag when you had an 80,000 face gazebo." Thu 09 Apr, 2009 11:46:33
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I am quite certain this topic is of low enough priority that it can wait until the original artist has the ability to contribute his particular vision of the set that he drew, which was excellent.
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

What type of texture would go with those colors? I would think that the gritty texture found on Hlaalu or Velothi would be a good fit. Is there any other texture to use that would add character that would be specific to the Dres? Or would it be better to stick to the basic velothi/hlaalu texture? I'm only talking about the texture/material, not the color scheme.

Also, using 'bright' gold would look crappy. Using a drab or worn-looking gold could look ok, maybe.
Edit: Nevermind about the gold, I took a look at some gold on buildings and found it looked pretty cool: bright or drab.
Edit 2: I agree that talking about this stuff when Turelio is still working in it is pretty pointless.
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Before you accuse me of "robbing this bank" remember this; I am not robbing this bank. :P

That aside, I think Túrelio's concepts do actually capture some of the essence Sload was talking about. With the narrow doorways, the tall over-looming building structures, etc. A distinctive interior set would really complete the effect.

After all, there's only so much 'austere and unwelcoming' stuff you can do with architecture before you just get OTT and put spikes on everything and massive leering gargoyles. :P

I'd also say that once they become the Dres set, they'd say 'Dres' as much as the rather nondescript Hlaalu buildings say 'Hlaalu'.

But sure, debate is good, as long we don't just spend ages circling around some airy ideas before finally settling for Túrelio's (perfectly excellent) art anyway.

On the other note, I don't think that armour's made it into the latest Data, at least... Could you perhaps provide the necessary stuff so we could get it in there. It's great stuff.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

I'm working on a few Dres armour and clothing concepts at the moment so i'll try to finish off the bits missing from the slave hunter armour while i'm at it.

As a distraction from that stuff and inspired by this thread I decided to play around with Sketchup abit and try to get across a how I envision Dres architecture could look bearing in mind comments already made so far.

I possibly went a little overboard with the all black look but in my defence that is supposed to represent crushed bugshells that the building in decorated with - shiny, offering variation and giving off a bug-ish effect without looking like a bug.
The windows should look like this inside:[url=http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dreswindowtexture.png][img]http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8867/dreswindowtexture.th.png[/img][/url]

Here's a crappy quality .wmv of what I came up with;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUe7pPo3bJI
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

interesting. Too black, but that is easily fixed. I'm curious to see more.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

The black is definitely a wrong move (and would look ridiculous on a sunny day in-game), and overall I personally feel that the whole design just screams 'Mordor' as opposed to 'Dunmer', unlike Túrelio's lot. Perhaps changing the colour scheme would change that effect, I dunno.

Remember these guys aren't panto villains setting out their 'we are bastards' stall with their architecture, they're just guys building houses. For the purposes of art, it's great if they have that 'cold, austere feeling', but it shouldn't look as if that's what the actual inhabitants had in mind as their 'absolute objective' when building them.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

the inverted shape is rather cool, im wondering how it would look with Tur's design.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I like that it gets wider as it rises, but don't think that can work in-game, unless that only happens in a single direction, because buildings have to fit basically together or you'll get weird "alleyways" that just look fudgly. I guess it could work though if only one side was angled though.

I dont like the black.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

the front can have the weird angle so that it looms over you as you enter. goes with the domineering/overbearing aspect.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

If the front was angled like that, it could lead to some nicely oppressive street plans. And it would provide shade in the hotter climes of the south.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

In the 'tier' sections of the cantons, maybe, that could be very good.

I get the feeling it'd just look weird in an open plan city though.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Maybe if every town was walled, it would look ok.
cire992
Reviewer

Post by cire992 »

That building would look neat if it were in the ashlands, but most of Dresneyland is in the jungle, right?
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

well not really, The Argon Jungle is on map6 near the borders of and small patches here and there, its not just everywhere. Map6 is rather odd in terms of landscape, sorta diverse. there will be some jungle plants around but not everwhere.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:In the 'tier' sections of the cantons, maybe, that could be very good.

I get the feeling it'd just look weird in an open plan city though.
Yeah I had that feeling as well, I mean tiers in Tear? (Yes okay its a bad pun) but... it would seem a little odd what with a rivers through the town and all.

You could always make the tiers via landscaping then add some walls and platforms in the occasional spot, I mean thats probably a better idea and less modding work.
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

That reminds me of the brothel from the Beetlejuice movie. Perhaps a bit too Tim-Burton-y in it's top heavy design.

Anyway, I had an idea for the farming landscape, thanks to the couple of posts before me talking about "tiers". I hadn't read what they were talking about yet, so I started to think about terraced farming.
Link: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrace_%28agriculture%29[/url]
Does anyone think that's an idea for Dres farming worth discussion?
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Okay here is something ive been trying out in 3DStudio,

Currently Im just using textures that already exist in the original data (eg vanilla textures). the lighting of this render isnt to good, but its just to play around with anyway.

[img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/Relinquished_kaos/Dresarchitecture.png[/img]

EDIT: I noticed the texture looks sorta white :? which is bad ebcause it reminds me of Necrom, I was trying for more of a sand/beige colour. but I dont have the textures.
Worsas
Developer

Post by Worsas »

Nice to see one more person starting with modeling. I don't feel alone anymore.

The way you have attached the texture looks neat. I also like how you have made that edges. The whole shape still differs from Turelios concept as here are no curves at all. The sidesurfaces of the roofs at Turelios drawings are also more narrow. Where you have attached the 'rings' at the bottom, I believe there belongs an edge (jut?) rising from the ground.

I hope you can get what I try to say :? ;)

Anyway I wish you good luck at modeling your pieces.
wintermute213

Post by wintermute213 »

Some really impressive and well thought-out ideas on architecture here. As is the majority view, theirs would probably be largely Veloth-type but with their own spins on it. We know the Dres are traditionalists who have sided with the Indoril in much of Morrowind's known affiars, but Vivec also said they "represents the past of pre-Tribunal Great House culture, a persistent tradition of Daedra- and ancestor-worshiping civilized Dunmer clans." This leads me to think of them as being more superstitous and maybe more tribe-oriented than the Indoril and other Dunmer. Not "oppressive" or "dark" in some vague sense but having a huge connection to the past, and to old ways, particularly religion. I was reminded a lot of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shwedagon_Pagoda]Southeast Asian Buddhist Architecture[/url] by that first post of temple designs. I think that could be a great way to liven up buldings in wealthy areas, having a lot of ornate, gilded carvings and inlays on archways and along roofs and foundations depicting various Daedra or scenes from myth. Also get kind of an Aztec vibe from this, which works too, and is kind of similar.

One thing I don't like is the idea that they're militaristic or orderly in some all-pervasive way, which just doesn't work for the Dunmer, or any race in Tamriel really. The Dres especially are supposed to be rather backward, which means looking towards old tribal way, not fascism.

Edit: Additionally, if you look at [url=http://www.imperial-library.info/gallery/mw_TAoM_p27.jpg]Bethesda's concept work for the Dres[/url], almost every character is wearing an asymmetric outfit, which also goes against the "orderly" thing.