GameInformer's TESV Wishlist (or, how to ruin TES)

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

TennysonXII
TR Tester

GameInformer's TESV Wishlist (or, how to ruin TES)

Post by TennysonXII »

[url=http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200903/N09.0318.1805.56285.htm]Read[/url]. Discuss.

How many of these things would work in the world of the Elder Scrolls? How many of these things are utter rubbish? How many times have you said something along the lines of the stuff in this article? How many of you have lost respect for GameInformer Magazine after reading this? And how many of you lost respect for GameInformer Magazine a long time ago?
By the way... Do you happen to know what the fine is here in Cyrodiil for necrophilia? Just asking.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

I was expecting something horrendous, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. All is see is fantasy stereotyping, and people wishing for things that while nice aren't really feasible.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Crafting
For this, we take a page from many of the MMOs out there. The series has already started building a crafting system but we would like more, more, more. The alchemy is extremely helpful but what about all those raw materials we can collect. Why bother hoarding yarn or shears or paintbrushes if you can’t really use any of them? We’d love to see the next Elder Scrolls let players create new clothing, armor, weapons and other tools that could be used for adventuring. Quests could dole out plans and patterns for new gear, and players gain the ability to create more sophisticated items as they become more proficient. Looting bodies is fine, but we think being able to wander out into the world decked from head to toe in gear that you created yourself would be even more rewarding.
Okay Runescape
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

the first paragraph mentioned Fable, i stoped reading. gods, why cant people just keep TES TES instead of trying to cram it full of stuff from other games?

[edit] they do get +1 for mentioning George R.R. Martin
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

They talked about the next TES featuring parts of two or more provinces, and mentioned that every past TES has only featured one, when in fact, Daggerfall had two, and Arena was everywhere, and Morrowind wasn't even one whole province.

I also thought it was stupid that in order to get political intrigue we need to have more than one province involved, when really, any of them could have enough political intrigue on their own, and really Cyrodiil could have as well if it had been done differently.
My Art: [url]http://demi-urgic.deviantart.com/[/url]
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

I love their "you know, it should be set in that area where Skyrim, Hammerfell and Highrock connect and have political intrigue..." one.

For example, wouldn't it be nice if we had a complex power play between three dominant powers, with subplots full of blackmail and treachery within each of the competing courts, and the player being a pawn to them all before getting to chose a side? But we'd want some high fantasy as well so that it's not just mundane politicking. I'm thinking about a stirring tale of restless dead screaming bloody vengeance for betrayal, it would tie in nicely all the intrigue with the fantastical dimension. It could be, say, the ghost of a murdered king; that'd appeal to powerful fantasy archetypes. The only thing lacking to make it truly perfect is to have something truly epic at the climax of the main quest; maybe like traveling to a higher plane of existence so as to animate a golem of truly gigantic size.

What do you think?

The rest of their suggestions read like "it would be great if it was Fallout 3 with swords".
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

no way would that fly gez it doesnt fit at all with tes
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

First off I love GameInformer! Best sourse of video gaming news, previews, and reviews in the world in my opinion, but I agree that some of their suggestions fit with what TES is. We certainily don't want it to be generic fantasy! but a few of their suggestions were alright.
We have to remember that the people at GameInformer play hundreds of games and are not focused so intensely on TES like some of us here (me included) :lol:
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

I just want to see playable musical instruments
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

Seconded
Macar: At last, I have a coleague to work with.

Lady N: Jedak-of-all-trades
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Túrelio wrote:I also thought it was stupid that in order to get political intrigue we need to have more than one province involved, when really, any of them could have enough political intrigue on their own, and really Cyrodiil could have as well if it had been done differently.
Truth. That was a really irritating claim on their part, and the kind of thing I can see Beth being suckered in by.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

VATS? Really? Did they really suggest putting in VATS? My god, I would boycott Beth. What rubbish.

On the subject of setting, I would rather have just one area, as the "intrigue" has been at an acceptable level for me. I wouldn't mind seeing Akavir, or one of the non-Tamriel continents for a change though.
Gentlemen, start your striders:
[url]http://tristikov.deviantart.com/art/G-Dunmer-wit-Siltstridaz-dawg-28071455[/url]
hmmmm... I should have looked at this guys DA gallery before posting a link to it... he likes horses... a little too much
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Haplo wrote:
Crafting....
Okay Runescape
HA! Absoultley, I play a bit of Runescape myself, more as a socializing thing, but yeah that exactly what I thought when I saw that. As much as Crafting wreeks of runescape fail, it might be a good idea, it just needs to be different and better from runescape. Its the same for um.. mining and smithing (Armorer) as well.

Saying this, there are also fishing rods in the game that have no purpose either, ... yet.

You know one of the thing I ALWAYS hated about Oblivion was the fact there was so many skills cut out from Morrowind. Honestly using a short blade like a dagger IS NOT the same as using a a freakin' Katana, and I would know since I've trained with both short & long swords before. honestly what kind of f****** idiots thought that up. (pardon me)

I would adore to see all the previous skills back including a few new ones.

Spear
Axe
Long Blade
Short Blade
Medium Armour
Enchant
Unarmoured

And More....
milne

Post by milne »

Collecting minerals to be made into armour was has been done before in an Elder Scrolls game or two, remember the snow wolf and bear armour in Bloodmoon and the Adamantine armour in Tribunal :P

Anyways, I think that free running like in Mirrors Edge or Assassin's Creed could be an interesting new skill for assassins and thiefs, and if its going to be set in Skyrim almost a necessity for getting up those steep cliffs.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

And the amber/madness armors in Shivering Isles.

For some reason it's something that Bethesda always put in the expansion and then say "hey! look! you can craft your own stuff (by bringing raw materials to a smith who'll do the actual crafting) now!" as if it was something astounding. :P
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

I dont own Oblivion, yet Ive played it ALOT at Gamers (Internet Cafes) and at friends' places. I actaully forgot about amber armour for a second there. its pretty interesting how it works.

On another note, Im getting a new laptop soon (hopefully), so I think I'll pickup a copy of Oblivion for myself. Mainly just to mod.

As for crafting, its sort of complex, you need to look at what exists in Morrowind, TR, and Oblivion data:

Gems - Diamond, Ruby, Emerald, others...
Hides - Guar, Alit, Kagouti, Daedra Skin, whaterver..

I think anything more minerals based (like ebony for example) would be more 'Armorer' than crafting-like because its more used with armour/weapons than other. idk..