Skyrim Realism extreme cold

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

prometheus
Developer Emeritus

Skyrim Realism extreme cold

Post by prometheus »

i think we should make a scripting that makes the pc feel cold in the extreme climates unless may be a nord forcing him to wear fur capes to protect ...and if not may be some illnes could hit him by decreasing progressively stats and reducing movement till paralisis and frooze .....what u think?
Totalwar site:
http://www.crimsonlegion.totalclan.com/

TR download website
http://prometheanlands.tamriel-rebuilt.org/
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

How much is extreme? Is it -20 or -40? Perhaps we should disable fatigue recovering the province since it's soo cold you have to use all your power to keep warm :)
prometheus
Developer Emeritus

Post by prometheus »

well if u loo lat the map u can get an idea ...but i found really that i could run even naked on the iceplains of bloodmoon without any problem ...
Totalwar site:

TR download website
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Prom, what about extra use of fatigue when using fatigue? If you get my meaning!
Also according to map you are making it doesnt look that cold really, from the look of it, it doesnt seem to have much ice and such. So I'd guess around 0 to -15 :P
prometheus
Developer Emeritus

Post by prometheus »

lol have u seen the north part it should look like all ice ..or may be i painted it in a bad way that isn't recognaisable? :]
Totalwar site:

TR download website
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yeah, the north could have somewhat extreme cold but the southern part even has a river running!

This reminds me we could use a frozen water texture :P
prometheus
Developer Emeritus

Post by prometheus »

well i want to be forced to wear furs ...hi hi i wouild like to see my pc forced to wear fur capes for protecting from the storms
Totalwar site:

TR download website
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well, if we could make it that a fur will protect from extra fatigue drain then I think most player will have it on! :)
prometheus
Developer Emeritus

Post by prometheus »

ok if someone will make the script i can try to make the fur capes when i'll get some more time
Totalwar site:

TR download website
wererat
Developer

Post by wererat »

Originally posted by Bladmand
texture? as long as its not a new static. there are no frozen rivers anywhere, unless they are extremely shallow. the others just have a layer of ice on top and moving water beneath (ice acts as an insulator). we could just use the ice statics from Bloodmoon.
'To be thanked for having done one's duty is humiliating' - The Vicomte de Bragelonne
sxotty
Developer

Post by sxotty »

Originally posted by Bladmand
Yeah, the north could have somewhat extreme cold but the southern part even has a river running!

That was genius tho, you can make a river that actually runs downhill, just make it frozen solid at the top, and a few frozen waterfalls wouldn't hurt either, then when it gets low enough it turns to liquid (as the water table has been reached)
cells completed: 39
claims 6-20;6-19
Nairb
Developer

Post by Nairb »

i like the frozen idea, however, instead of dying by sataying still your screen slowly goes black and you then "freeze", then you wake up, like a unfading black screen then you wake to someone saying like i found u frozen and took u to the nearest town or something and you better bundle up heres some extra clothing and have a random npc next to the player untill he leaves the cell.
Hold on sec, my keyboard is sliding off the desk, i gotta catch it b4 it jnkgdnldnl
Legolas55

Post by Legolas55 »

Why not in the extremly cold parts of Skyrim the player somehow gets frost damage. Or, to protect themselves, the wear one of the many kinds of armor Nords have that are enchanted to resist frost.
Gimli the dwarf

Post by Gimli the dwarf »

Speaking of cold damage, what kind of beast of burden do they use in Skyrim. It would seem to me that it's too cold for guars, rotumbo, or horses. Maybe some kind of shaggy animal likea bantha from star wars.
Shaper of Worlds
RaJevir

Post by RaJevir »

While I like the idea, I don't think it's scriptable. Also, temperatures change GREATLY in high mountain/polar regions, I mean with a range of -20 - 20 C average temperature during the day and -40- -10 during the night, depending on the season. We'd have to take this into account, which, ultimately, would end up with a monster script that we somehow have to get to activate once per cell, and only once.
Last edited by RaJevir on Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Scrib specimen number two escaped from its pen today. Again. I shall have to find some other way to limit its mobility, as building higher walls seems to have little effect" -Mistress Rathra
evilgreebo

Post by evilgreebo »

I fairly sure you could script it n fact you even make it so the player has different degrees of frost damage depending on how much fur clothes they have on but it would be fairly long and complicated and we are trying to keep the number of globals down. If you want me to I have no problem with giving it a go.
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

@gimli, I think you are right, we should start conceptuallizing some sorta "bantha" like creature, cold beast of burden style, cause Id like to see them around the landscape, we could use some alpha mapping to give it the shaggy look, sorta like Vorrheis swamp troll with the moss hanging from him, except it would be little white hairs
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Gimli the dwarf

I would love to draw up some creature concepts (I'm really good at art), but I have no way of getting in on my computer :cry:

I don't have a scanner, but "maybe" I could take a picture of it with a digital camera and use that....

Are you wantnig to start modelling creatures now Majra :D ?
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

Well, Im really not very efficient at making creatures, I guess I could begin a rough start to it, then vorrheis some time when hes not busy(hes really busy right now) could take over with the body, then he could throw it back to me for the hairyness cause I got a really good method to do this right now

I think me and vorrheis should team up on this one, and make somethin insanely professional :)

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Gimli the dwarf

Well if it's anything like that sea troll I'll be looking forward to what you two come up with :D
Asylum
Developer

Post by Asylum »

so this also means sun damage in desert regions? :D
"Forgive me, for I don't know what I gain
Alone in this garden of pain
Enchantment has but one truth:
I weep to have what I fear to lose"
Legolas55

Post by Legolas55 »

RaJevir wrote:While I like the idea, I don't think it's scriptable. Also, temperatures change GREATLY in high mountain/polar regions, I mean with a range of -20 - 20 C average temperature during the day and -40- -10 during the night, depending on the season. We'd have to take this into account, which, ultimately, would end up with a monster script that we somehow have to get to activate once per cell, and only once.
I know this quote was from a while back in this thread, I think it can be scripted. Get some Skyrim trees or rocks and make them activators. Then, place them here and there in Skyrim wilderness. Then when the PC gets close, they get frost damage. The rocks and trees are not actually giving the frost, they just are regular objects and are used to put some cold here and there.
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

I think making someone wear furs isn't really A) fun or B) realistic because most likely you would put linings and padding in your armor that would keep you at least a bit warm. That being said possibly making sleeping in the open or going in water do cold damage might be a good idea.
prometheus
Developer Emeritus

Post by prometheus »

WELL IT JUST NEED SOMETHING LIKE ON CELL ENTERED OR IN STORM ...
Totalwar site:

TR download website
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

@legolas

couldnt you just make a giant non collision object with nothin visible, and make a script that if you are within its area you get frost damage? that way rocks wont be giving off the cold :wink:

evilgreebo

Post by evilgreebo »

A global script could do it. Just add a cell check, weather check (second thoughts is that possible, must look into it), check how much fur clothes the player is wearing and hit them with an frost spell.
I'll have a go at it and see what I can come up with.
evilgreebo

Post by evilgreebo »

This is what I've come up with so far, not bad for an hours work. You'll find it just outside castle Karstaag it looks like a shrine for now and has a set of bear armour (with my fur script on them) next to it.
When there is a blizzard you'll take damage and lose health. An odd bug makes yout total health drop but it goes back up afterwards, I'll sort it out when I get back from work.
evilgreebo

Post by evilgreebo »

Doesn't seem to like me.
Legolas55

Post by Legolas55 »

@Majra

I didn't think of big invisible objects. Those would be better since they can cover a large area.
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Then you could just fly over the cold :roll:
Also I would think most armour and cloaks would protect against frost.
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

hmmmm not if you make it really big and tall(all the way up) I do believe theres a limit to how high the player can go

evilgreebo

Post by evilgreebo »

Making a really big object would really have the same effect as making it affect the whole cell.
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

except you could have more control ie... one big object that starts at certain elevation and goes to the top level of game play, then one below that, goes from lower elevation to that elevation, then one below that to the ground.. and make each have a different effect even... like higher you go, the more painful it is or somethin like that

evilgreebo

Post by evilgreebo »

I think thats taking it a bit far really and I don't know many cells that change in height so much you would notice.
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Actually since skyrims large mountain ranges there will be a lot of height variation.
evilgreebo

Post by evilgreebo »

Made some changes you now have 3 types of clothes with 3 levels of protection. However the level of protection doesn't go down when you remove them so that needs some works
BalinMinister

In favor of a plan....

Post by BalinMinister »

Hmm....i like the idea of having the player take damage when exposed to the extreme cold after a certain length of time....however i am in favor of a more time-related loss as opposed to taking a spell at a certain point....as in every-X-length of time, subtract X damage to the player.....

One way to avoid the damage (to an extent) would be to wear perhaps the nordic versions of armor, that would probably be tested against the cold for many years and would be the best defense the player has against the cold (besides a thick robe that is).....however, a medium/heavy weight armor must be created in the nordic fashion (if there isnt already one) so that all players have appropriate armor...

However, what scares me is the prospect of people wanting to get CE Resist Frost damage or a CE Restore Health spell that would allow them to wander around the wilderness for endless amounts of time, but when they are in a cave fighting monsters with ranged Frost attacks...the battle will be too one sided and will completely shift the difficulty of the game...for the player 2 birds will be killed with one stone...

So my suggestion is to possibly disable any sort of console cheat or any CE spells so that each player has an equal shot at damage, and only the ones with the proper equipment and map-navigating skills will not take too much damage.....

Just some suggestions
-BM
evilgreebo

Post by evilgreebo »

I like it around 20 seconds seems a good time to try out. I should be able to work it into my current code.
Psyborg

Post by Psyborg »

Well, as long as we're getting cold-related damage, it should damage a lot more and a lot faster if you're under water- that's always a thing that bugged me about Bloodmoon- you go underwater (and under ice), but have no ill effects.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Darth_Blade

Post by Darth_Blade »

Uh, but you know, if we talk about realism, if the player always runs (and we do always run in the game, right?) the he should keep warm. Also, you're greatly overestimating the danger of the cold. I mean, even I can withstand -40 without my coat on (althought it is NOT a pleasant experience) for quite a long time, and I'm nowhere close the super-puper tough Nerevarine. :)
Lazy@$$ interior maker.
Title: Shooshpan-ataman

Finished interiors: Four

All things are but a horse.