Going the way of Quake2

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

doomedmarine

Going the way of Quake2

Post by doomedmarine »

Hi, I'm a new poster, yet have been following the Tamriel Rebuilt Mod for some time now via the webpage and I was just wondering if a finish date is in sight?

It sounds a bit 3DRealms Duke Nukem Forever to be saying.

"It's done when it's done."

and well we know how most gamers feel about that?

Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate this is a fan effort like most modding jobs for any game.
And have downloaded the first map released, and am about to download the 2nd map. It's just I have seen this occur with other mods, the best that comes to mind is the "StarWars: Call of the Force" mod for the game Quake2. lot of the fans waited for 5 years, got releases here and there, got told the single player game was coming together then pow! one day they pulled the plug and left us high and dry. New Quake/Doom engine games came and the team switched to new the new engines, and I worry about this occuring with Oblivion being here that we may get the whole "ah why bother, let's focus on oblivion mods and such now guys"

This happened to a lot of QUake2 TC's/Mods and also other games.

I am just concerned as this mod was started in 2002, before the game was even released, that after 7 years, it will either not come to be, or the fan base will dry up, as with all games no matter how good, the numbers of we die hard fans are generally outnumbered by the "next shiny toy please" brigade. and also with most mods, some just get tired of waiting, even the die hards.

Like I said, I appreciate this is a team of dedicated and talented people doing this for the love of the elderscrolls games and they have lives, I just worry that the quality over quantity motto might be putting too much focus on quality, the average gamer isn't that into the LORE of TES, so I worry that maybe too much detail and accuracy could drag this project on for many years to come. But I do thank you for your efforts and the hours of play you've added to a much loved game.
Just a rough ETA, even if it's years would be nice.

Keep up the good work.

(and just to say, I'm not the sort to troll through years of posts, so I apologise if this has been brought up elsewhere already)
MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

Finish date: No, we don't have one. However, at a personal guess, I'd say the next release will be end of this year / start of next year. The completion of all 6 maps will be years away. If you want me to guess, I'd say 4-6 years (and that is in no way official).

And as to us giving up Morrowind for Oblivion, there's a fair few of us who don't actually like Obivion very much as a game, so I think we'll stick around for a while yet :)

(I've assumed you were asking about the Morrowind side of the project. I'm afraid I know very little about Hammerfell)
MaMeeshkaMowSkwoz - choose your syllables
Chin Music
Developer

Post by Chin Music »

If the project ever does reach a "fully released" state, I'm certain that we will never stop screwing with it anyway.

Also I find that it's easy to find reassurance within TR because you can see just how active it is for yourself, and can track progress as it is made instead of just going on what you are told.

The achievements the project has made so far, and the fact that it has survived this long I think are a testament to its longevity and the dedication of its supporters.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Well, I'm not leaving, so if there's any consolation in that...
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Anyway, there's just about zero chance that map 3 won't get released at this point, so absolutely worst case, TR just releases half the province of Morrowind and only doubles the size of the game world.

Is that really so bad?

Not that there's much chance of all of us giving up on the rest, either.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Zalzidrax wrote:Anyway, there's just about zero chance that map 3 won't get released at this point, so absolutely worst case, TR just releases half the province of Morrowind and only doubles the size of the game world.
It would take nothing short of the world wide destabilization of civilization to stop some of us. (Even that would probably just lead to a temporary break)

btw, map 3 more than doubles the size of the game world by itself. maps 1 and 2 come close to doubling the world size.

Figure the time between our first two releases and you'll get what might be a reasonable estimate extrapolating from there.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

I think that's a legitimate question, but this mod project tries to be open about its progress in comparison with others i've seen. And we are making progress, the project hasn't slowed down since Map 2 was released.

And I think if anything the Morrowind side of the project actually still gets more man-hours invested in it than Hammerfell, simply because it remains the preferred game for a lot of modders. If you get tired of waiting, then go and do something else and we'll let you know when it's finished! Or of course you could join up and help speed things along...
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

We're actually moving at a faster clip now than we were before. Prior to the releases of maps 1 and 2 we were a lot more disorganized. Now we have a system down and progress is a lot smoother, a lot faster and more visible.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

We aren't going to abandon Morrowind for Oblivion because Oblivion sucks and Morrowind rocks. We also aren't doing this for the community; we're doing it for ourselves, so it doesn't really matter if there's anyone around when we finish stuff.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
milne

Post by milne »

I'm not sure about any other randoms here, but even when I unintalled Morrowind once and moved onto Fallout 3, I would always check up on Tamriel Rebuilt to see if there was a new release out or if anything big had happened.

TR CAN'T lax on the quality of its content, that's what makes the mod so great for me, you can play it without actually realizing that it wasn't created by Bethesda, I think TR is great, don't stop please :)
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Re: Going the way of Quake2

Post by Sload »

doomedmarine wrote:(and just to say, I'm not the sort to troll through years of posts, so I apologise if this has been brought up elsewhere already)
In fact, and this may shock you, during the past 7 and a half years, no one, not once, has complained that this mod is taking too long. You have contributed a completely original thought.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
cire992
Reviewer

Post by cire992 »

Haplo wrote:Oblivion sucks and Morrowind rocks.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
doomedmarine

Post by doomedmarine »

Ok thanks for all the replies. I'm looking forward to the 3rd map, and hopefully some quests for map 2, (sorry I'd assist, but time and a growing family doesn't allow me to mod, barely get time to even play these days lol)

@sload, not complaining, just enquiring and expressing some concerns ; )

@MMMowSkwoz yep I'm talking about Morrowind, I only have Oblivion on the 360, something I will change when I get a decent vid card, or I might buy it and try oldblivion.

I might be an oddity, but I like Oblivion. (yes there are a few things I dislike about it also) but Morrowind I agree is definitely the better of the 2.

Anyways, happy to hear that it seems like this project is still rolling along and will be for the foreseeable future. Again I appreciate all the hard work of the modders involved.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

Haplo wrote:Oblivion sucks and Morrowind rocks.
There are a few things I like from Oblivion:

1) It's prettier, although that's inevitable with newer games.
2) It has physics beyond jumping.
3) It handles theft/ownership better.
4) Blocking isn't totally random.

Although 2 has a drawback -- sometimes I don't really feel like chasing a dead bear down a mountain to get that pelt.

Some of the skill perks are nice too, but wouldn't make sense in Morrowind (who needs to jump off the surface of water when you can levitate?), or would make MORE sense in Morrowind (like investing in shops).
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

3: It handles theft/ownership better.

Bullshit. Bull fucking shit. Ownership in oblivion was dumb. No way someone in bruma knows that the cup I am selling him belongs to someone in leyawiin
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

Stealing one instance on an item in Morrowind = all such items are now considered stolen. Is that really better? At least in Oblivion you can tell what's been stolen, and won't have whole stacks of legitimately acquired items taken from you when arrested.

I'll take "How do they know..." over "They can't tell which it is, so it must be all of them" any day.
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

It was ok yhat you could see in oblivion which item was stolen, but you couldn't sell those stolen objects to another merchant. You could only sell them to a thieves guild member.
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

That made absolutely no sense to me. Why should a simple merchant be able to tell that an object is stolen?

They should have only refused to buy something off you if it was very obviously stolen, like the Duke's ceremonial sword or some other highly recognisable item.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
dirnae
Developer

Post by dirnae »

This is turning into a Morrowind vs. Oblivion thread.
I like Morrowind vs Oblivion threads, Morrowind always wins.

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1022938&st=0&start=0
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1025354&st=0&start=0
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1027071&st=0&start=0

I wouldn't worry about TR dropping out now, the Morrowind modding community is modding better and stronger than it has in a long time, I mean, I've got godrays in Morrowind!
You know how fucking epic that is!?!
[url=http://s647.photobucket.com/albums/uu195/mark507_album/morrowind/models/]My Models[/url]
[url=http://s647.photobucket.com/albums/uu195/mark507_album/morrowind/animations/]My Animations[/url]
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

lets just keep our opinions to ourselves, kay?
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

I just can't help but to find such discussions amusing because of their sheer futility. :P
Myzel's Art gallery: [url]http://themyzel.deviantart.com/[/url]
dirnae
Developer

Post by dirnae »

That's what makes it fun. :)
[url=http://s647.photobucket.com/albums/uu195/mark507_album/morrowind/models/]My Models[/url]
[url=http://s647.photobucket.com/albums/uu195/mark507_album/morrowind/animations/]My Animations[/url]