Quagmire creatures

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Tes96
Reviewer

Quagmire creatures

Post by Tes96 »

Who drew these? http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/?p=conceptart&section=19706

Nobody's signature is at the bottom.

Also, are those creatures supposed to be like lesser daedra or something? I mean, they come from Vaernima's realm of dreams and nightmares, right? Hence the name.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Lutemoth drew them.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Four Greyhounds

Post by Four Greyhounds »

While your on the subject, is Quagmire a confirmed project? Lady N had said earlier that it is an unorganized project that's low on the priority list, but isn't it supposed to be the next map to come out, after Goldmoor?
You'll see, I'll show you, that these, uh, civilized people? They'll eat each other. You see, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve.
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

The top two are by Lutemoth. I can't remember by whom the other ones were drawn.
Myzel's Art gallery: [url]http://themyzel.deviantart.com/[/url]
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Quagmire isn't a map, so much as a non-map. It is map 10 because all interior claims have to have a map. It doesn't have an exterior though.
Reviewing Administrator

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Tes96
Reviewer

Post by Tes96 »

I don't care really about the mod, I'm just trying to understand the realm and what the creatures are. I guess since Quagmire is the nightmare and dream realm, the creatures and beings that come from it can look have the appearance of your most beautiful dreams or your most horrible nightmares. That's how I would view it. I see Vaernima as having the power to look inside your head and manifest the things that you fear the most to come get you; kinda like Pennywise from IT.
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

You could have talked about the mod on its own forums a bit more nicely than saying you don't care about it, it's hardly going to endear yourself to those who have slaved over their work for many years.

Regardless, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head in that what the person sees would be largely based upon their own hopes and fears, so as to instil the most terror in them. A personal nightmare for every player character would prove hard in terms of game mechanics, however. The current plan is that we will have preset linked nightmare scenarios that occur in a semi-random sequence to increase variation.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

Cathartis wrote:A personal nightmare for every player character would prove hard in terms of game mechanics, however. The current plan is that we will have preset linked nightmare scenarios that occur in a semi-random sequence to increase variation.
It was probably brought up in the thread about it, but what about nightmares or random sequences of nightmares that are specific to the player character's path (might/magic/stealth)? It would be pretty easy to write nightmares for generics from those 'paths' without getting too 'specific,' which gives the player room to roleplay.

You could even break up the "random" sequences based on the character's major skills or something, so that a nightmare for a specific major skill plays in random order until all major skill nightmares have played out. That would mean 21 different nightmare sequences, with seven sequences per character.

I don't know. Obviously that would be a lot more work, but so is re-creating entire provinces in Tamriel and no one worried about that one. :P My entire post might even be nonsense because I don't know too much about what is being planned for Hammerfell right now.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

it was agreed (I think, its been a few years) that it would be 3-5 sections per sequence. Anything more specific than the general focus of the player's skills wouldn't work. I must say though, that I like the idea of nightmares specifically tailored to play styles...
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

These creatures are the weavers of nightmares. I know that you like to ask a lot of questions, because I'm unhappily familiar with the TESF Lore forum, but this forum isn't for that sort of thing. Unless you're here to contribute to the mod, we don't have the time for it.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Kasan Moor
Developer

Post by Kasan Moor »

Sload wrote:These creatures are the weavers of nightmares. I know that you like to ask a lot of questions, because I'm unhappily familiar with the TESF Lore forum, but this forum isn't for that sort of thing. Unless you're here to contribute to the mod, we don't have the time for it.
Tes96, you just got Sloaded.

Anyway, in reply to Thrignar, although it is a nice idea, i think it would be to much work. Btw, has there been any concept on the Quagmire portals already?
"Bling shizzle, here's a revizzle . . .oh god, I'm so white. . . "
-Jacurutu

"and since Armor of Tamriel has been delayed longer than Half Life 2, I have no idea if it exists or not." -Dexter
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

wouldn't be too much work if they weren't filtered and came up in the natural rotation. (might not be if they were simply added in by figuring out which set of skills was higher)

No CA has been done. Quagmire is ultra low priority.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Kasan Moor
Developer

Post by Kasan Moor »

It might be ultra low priority, but I had a nice idea for the portals. Staying with the eye theme, what about a vertical eye with swirling iris and black flames/electricity around it? I could draw a concept for it, but I think you get the picture.
"Bling shizzle, here's a revizzle . . .oh god, I'm so white. . . "
-Jacurutu

"and since Armor of Tamriel has been delayed longer than Half Life 2, I have no idea if it exists or not." -Dexter
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Quagmire portal CA here: [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=15158](link)[/url]. I really browse these forums too much.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

portals are so low priority I forgot we already have good CA for them. This thread has run its course, locked.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

Kasan Moor wrote:It might be ultra low priority, but I had a nice idea for the portals. Staying with the eye theme, what about a vertical eye with swirling iris and black flames/electricity around it? I could draw a concept for it, but I think you get the picture.
Too 'uber' (For lack of a better word).
Myzel's Art gallery: [url]http://themyzel.deviantart.com/[/url]