i4-335-Hla

After an interior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderators: Seneca37, Lead Developers

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

i4-335-Hla

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Claim type: Interior
Claim ID: TR_i4-335-Hla (#2290)
Faction: Hlaalu
Parent claim: TR_4-21-Hla (#158)
Claimed by: Jule
Files: TR_i4-335-Hla_Jule_1.esp; TR_i4-335-Hla_Jule_2.esp; TR_i4-335-Hla_Jule_4.esp; TR_i4-335-Hla_Thrignar Fraxix_1.esp

---

Dwemer refinery. Download 4-21-Hla to check the exterior.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Unlocking, for great justice!
Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

Claimsky? Dwemersky refinersky, yes?

Lots of ore stashed everywhere around (gold, iron?) and some underground tunnels, ancient dwemer mines perhaps?
Of course, all these dwemer machines which are necessary in a dwemer refinery.

Or should the refinery be exactly that - just a refinery?
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Sure, better be good, though. Keep in mind this is a refinery of that weird tar/oil bubbling up outside, have plenty of machinery and important-looking pipes.
Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

My piping always looks impressive :twisted:

So, no metal refinery? This does help a lot.
Le vent nous portera

Tea is important! - Cathartis
Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

Am I correct to presume that this interior has 2 entrances? It seems to me this is supposed to be a rather big ruin. Should I divide it into multiple cells or should I keep this as a single cell?
Le vent nous portera

Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Look at the exterior. However many entrances there are, use that as your guide. Same goes for the size. I don't think this could ever require more than two cells.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

Two cells is what I was thinking, too.
Le vent nous portera

Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

I was wondering if I could have doors scripted to open only if one activates a certain lever? I think I won't make this a looted ruin, there should be a lot of dwemer centurions and such walking around. (I know, I won't be placing them myself.)
Le vent nous portera

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

many TR dwemer ruins have puzzles in them, so I don't see why this one can't. If you have a good idea but don't know how to script it just make the puzzle and tell me how it's supposed to work. This all on the condition that someone okays your plan of course, I have no such power. ;)
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

I personally think it would be better to invest effort into making an interesting interior that speaks to the player, rather than scripting a puzzle. Puzzles are a rather stereotypical thing to have, especially in Dwemer ruins.

If you insist on making a puzzle, make it a Dwemer one, which is to say: odd, illogical and only possible if you misinterpret something. (Which I realize is more or less contrary to the idea of a puzzle.)
Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

Why is this happening? The tiles that won't light up are TR_in_dwrv_hall_ceiling. I've tried pretty much everything but I just can't make them as light as the rest of the interior.
Attachments
ScreenShot 1.JPG
I hate this.
(43.37 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Le vent nous portera

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

It is a Morrowind engine glitch.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

Can it be fixed somehow?
Le vent nous portera

Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Jule wrote:Can it be fixed somehow?
You could probably try and fix it by adding some more light sources closer to the dark tiles (perhaps invisible ones with a very small radius), but that might make the room lighter than you intended. The problem with the Morrowind engine is that an object is either lit or not lit by a light source, with no in-between.
Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

Thanks people, you've been very helpfull :)
Le vent nous portera

Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

First WIP uploaded: the shell of the dwemer refinery is done, and I've also started some cluttering. What's left is only optimizing the lightning and adding more furn pieces.
Le vent nous portera

Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

Second WIP is up. Split the refinery into two parts, it's almost finished, just need to add some more clutter, some more pipes, and screw around with the damn lights a bit.
Le vent nous portera

Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

Khadumzunch, the Dwemer refinery, has been finished.
EDIT: You should use the last file (4), the NorthMarkers have been set pointing in the wrong direction. This has been fixed.
Le vent nous portera

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

review time
Praedator
Reviewer

Post by Praedator »

TESAME: Clean

Fits exterior: Yes

Northmarker set: Yes
Loading errors: No

Review: This is a very good and well done interior, however I found it to be empty, nearly all objects are statics. The player should be rewarded with a little more dwemer armor (maybe 3-4 pieces, but not a complete set ofcourse), weapons (3-4), misc clutter (goblets etc/gear) and containers with something in it, placed in empty hallways.

Especially the main level was very empty.

Comments It looks and it is nearly perfect, just needs some extra clutter, and you will have a high rated int.

Send Back.

Rating n/a
I know I'm going to sound like a hypocrite for saying this, but this needs *less* rocks - Cathartis
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I believe this interior is plenty cluttered enough. Praedator, check out some vanilla Dwemer ruins and see how sparse they are compared to this. The ruin has ample containers in every nook and cranny. After all, if the ruins on Vvardenfell have been as cleared out by smugglers as they have, then the ruins on the mainland (which people have had access to for much longer) should be much more empty.

It could do with a bit more that makes it seem like a refinery, but the reviewer should be able to add a few containers or miscellaneous items that delineate what kind of interior this is. The only problem might be the ridiculous amount of lights used in one spot.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Praedator
Reviewer

Post by Praedator »

I believe this interior is plenty cluttered enough. Praedator, check out some vanilla Dwemer ruins and see how sparse they are compared to this.

I agree vanilla doesn't have much, but I thought that TR wants to improve that also with clutter.
Knowing that Dwemer ruins have many heavy duty critters, the loot level can be a little higher than in vanilla, if you ask me.
The ruin has ample containers in every nook and cranny.
Did you also check how many of these are empty?
After all, if the ruins on Vvardenfell have been as cleared out by smugglers as they have, then the ruins on the mainland (which people have had access to for much longer) should be much more empty.
I agree on that.
It could do with a bit more that makes it seem like a refinery, but the reviewer should be able to add a few containers or miscellaneous items that delineate what kind of interior this is.
Yes, I would and will if needed. But I foresaw at least about 50 items, mainly gears and misc clutter. And discussed it with Cath, ending up in that I did send it back, not that Cath told me so though.
The only problem might be the ridiculous amount of lights used in one spot.
I was a bit worried on the lights myself, but their range was only 128 and that seemed ok in such a large room.

In the end, I think it is a good practice for Jule, but if you want me to add some stuff just send if off to review and I will enhance it.
I know I'm going to sound like a hypocrite for saying this, but this needs *less* rocks - Cathartis
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Praedator wrote:
The ruin has ample containers in every nook and cranny.
Did you also check how many of these are empty?
See:
Praedator wrote:
Haplo wrote:After all, if the ruins on Vvardenfell have been as cleared out by smugglers as they have, then the ruins on the mainland (which people have had access to for much longer) should be much more empty.
I agree on that.

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Ok, this int is getting sent back. 1 light for every 6 pieces total is ridiculous. Take a look at vanilla ints to see the proper quantity of lighting. This needs about 3/4 of the lights removed.

As for the clutter, I believe it is fine, but wouldn't hurt from perhaps another barrel or chest here or there. Dwemer ruins always look sparse without creatures.

One final bit, you rotated those objectless free floating lights... why would you do that? It makes absolutely NO difference.
Reviewing Administrator

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

Does this mean that I have to remove most of the lights from the corridors and rooms, or is it the lights in the main hall that need to be removed? I added that many lights in the main hall so as to avoid any overly dark floor and ceiling tiles showing up.
I don't mind removing some (or most) lights from the corridors and other rooms, but if I remove those objectless free floating lights from the main hall it will just make it look like crap, since there will be unlit tiles.
(btw thank you for pointing out that fact about the objectless lights, I thought that the direction they are pointing at determines the way they light surrounding objects; my mistake)
Le vent nous portera

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

if there is no other way then those free floaters are fine. As for corridor light density, look at vanilla ruins.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

Finished, again. The finished esp is file number 2.
Le vent nous portera

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

review time again
Praedator
Reviewer

Post by Praedator »

TESAME: Clean

Fits exterior: Yes

Northmarker set: Yes
Loading errors: No

Review: No floaters or bleeders found. Sound interior.

Comments I am a bit concerned about the "AL" doorway with common ex cave door. The door texture stands out, but I cannot think of a good alternative. Maybe the brownish in_cavern door?

And there are still a whole load of lightbulbs in the main room.

Rating 8.5/10
Attachments
TR_i4-335-Hla_Jule_2.esp
(76 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Approving. Fixed the strange entrance to look better
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

What ext cell does this correspond to?

EDIT: (-2, -22), I believe. Not in AT North. Is it AT South?