q2-10-Mis

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

The Greatness wrote:EDIT: I ought to mention that I checked it out on TESAME and found loads of changes to unnamed cells. As I didn't make this I have no idea what they are, and whether to clean them or not.
If you didn't change them, then you should clean them out.
MaMeeshkaMowSkwoz - choose your syllables
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

It's something that happens (iirc) when you work with TR_Mainland, there are a couple of cells that always get altered and need to be cleaned.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

MMMowSkwoz wrote:
The Greatness wrote:EDIT: I ought to mention that I checked it out on TESAME and found loads of changes to unnamed cells. As I didn't make this I have no idea what they are, and whether to clean them or not.
If you didn't change them, then you should clean them out.
Well I didn't make half this claim, so I don't know what the last two did. I also don't know where or what they are as no name appears.

Another thing I ought to mention now I think about it: I changed the reward to a pair of chitin boots with the enchantments 'fortify endurance 2 points' and 'fortify willpower 3 points'. My thinking behind this was that these were Ilvenus had decided to give up adventuring to settle down with Rerienne, so decided to give you his favourite boots as thanks (as he tells you). I thought this was a better conclusion to the quest, made Ilvenus feel more human and made it feel like you had become good friends with him (he didn't just give you some gold). However, I'm not sure the boots actualy have any effect as I was hoping they'd raise your health and fatigue, but if they do it doesn't appear to be immediate.

I've also decided on a position for my quest I suggested that would make more sense. If I say that the Trayle (the murdered dude, I will change the names) found the note at the top of the main area of Tel Onoria where there is that double bed, and also dropped the ripped note there. He then went round the town and crossed the rope bridge to get to the small plaza at the top of Tel Onoria where the smuggler saw he was about to enter the Archmage's chamber, and stabbed him. He then moved the body to the living chambers with that wierd Breton slave, which the player finds locked and under guard.

When I wrote the idea for the quest I hadn't really checked out Tel Onoria, and assumed it would be like other Telvanni towers, rather than just a collection of small rooms. However, I think my repositioning makes more sense as the smuggler killed him outside rather than in a crowded tower. For this to make sense I would get rid of the guard standing by the alchemy chamber (he would have seen the murder) and replace him with the guard who guards the crime scene, who can also fufill the role of stopping players going into the alchemy chamber.

Will this work? If you still don't like it I'll give up on this and try some new ideas.
Warning: may contain large amounts of sarcasm.

Myzel- We never actually see slaves working on Vvardenfell either. They're always just standing there. If you ask me they deserve a good whipping.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Urm... I'm just waiting to see what you guys think of whether my repositioning would work before I do anything.

Myzel- We never actually see slaves working on Vvardenfell either. They're always just standing there. If you ask me they deserve a good whipping.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Sorry, I am at the height of busy-ness right now.

On boots, make the boosts more of a substantial figure (5/10/15) and make them a briefish cast on use. Values as small as you suggested would be fine for Constant Effect, but unlike Oblivion (where there's nothing but) CE stuff is very rare in Morrowind.

On other quest, sounds good, only note is that the Breton dude isn't particularly weird, he's more of just a butler type housekeeper. Point being that he would notice if a body was dumped in the hallway he's standing in. But if we assume for the purposes of the quest that he was out at the time, and then came back to find a body and reported it, that makes sense.

I'm still a *little* shaky on the smuggler dude just being in Marog at the right time to kill the victim, but the whole quest sounds good and fun. Could there be some better motive/explanation rather than 'I wanted to see how he'd react to the threat', which seems a little strange, because obviously he'd expect him to report it. Maybe change the detail of what the victim was investigating or whatever, but keep the actual events the same.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Alright. I'll start building the quest in and see what I can come up with to improve the plot.

I'll make the Breton a witness that stands outside the room, and then move him back when the quest is done.

Oh yeah, and one more thing, [url=http://www.squidweb.co.uk/megamatty/screenshot1.JPG]here's what I did while bored[/url].

The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Sorry about the lack of action guys. I know I said Friday, but I've been a little distracted. 'German Exam' immediately springs to mind but 'Oblivion Mods' and 'World Cup' is probably closer to the truth.

I've been toying with how to improve this quest's plot but could do with a little help on the ideas front really. I thought I could change the story to say that the guy was murdered by a sleeper agent for the smugglers, who is revealed in a note on the lead smugglers body or something, and maybe add a bit onto the end of the quests where you go and arrest this sleeper agent, and are forced to kill him. I'm not so great on the story side of things really though.

The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Revoke.

Gah. So sorry about this. I really wanted to help. Unfortunately I was really badly distracted by Oblivion just as I was getting to the good bit and was unable to maintain interest on modding Morrowind. I'm like this. My mind wanders from game to game regardless of important stuff like this. I'll almost certainly return to Morrowind someday, and hopefully I'll pick up a claim and finish it quickly while my enthusiasm is still strong.

I've uploaded my most recent file. Like I said I've finished and polished Why's quest and made a start on mine. I sort of game up when I hit this unexplainable problem of dialogue not appearing after I'd set up a fair bit of it. Some stuff is set up but I'd understand perfectly if you guys want to start over on this quest. The_Greatness-1 contains purely Why's finished quest and none of mine.

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Revoked then I guess.

Oblivion is very shiny, and grabs you hard at the start. After your first game though, what with the complete lack of branching questlines and creative landscapes, you'll probably grow bored with it.

Or at least I hope this is the case as it would mean you aren't gone for too long.
OTRaw
Developer

Post by OTRaw »

Claimage. A single misc quest seems easy enough for my first quest :D

If I worked this out right, I need to finish the quest The_Greatness started, as described on pages 2 + 3. I see no reason not to use the parts The_Greatness started and finish it off.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Sounds good, Happy Modding. :)
OTRaw
Developer

Post by OTRaw »

Just fixed all the spelling and grammar issues I can find, WIPing mainly to get used to the claim browser for when I make a substantial change.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Good to see you're picking this one up. Shoot me a PM if you have questions about the first two quests, I fixed the first one and started the second back when I worked on this.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

OMG there's like 50 files for this claim. Which ones am I safe to remove, all but the OTRaw files?
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I think so. Unless OTRaw wants to keep any. In case of a server wipe or meteorite impact I still have a copy of my files which I could reupload, so feel free to remove those anyway.
OTRaw
Developer

Post by OTRaw »

Will do Why ;)

Haplo: My file has all the changes, and I've backed it up onto two hard-drives + on here, so as Why said it's fine to remove them.

Edit: If you read this The_greatness I think the dialogue not appearing was where you wanted the locals to talk about the murder after the quest was started at index 10, but you had typed index 100 :P
OTRaw
Developer

Post by OTRaw »

A couple of questions:

In a Journal entry and on the note The_Greatness mentioned that the murderer was at Jaw Rock. For the life of me I cannot find where he means.

Also is it OK to edit things outside of Marog for the quest? ('cause there is no place to put smugglers inside the cell)

Thanks.

Edit: As I cannot find a place that looks at all like a jaw, any objections to setting the camp up here, just outside Marog. A couple of smugglers in the red area and the leader of them in the blue where the hill levels off.

[img]http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/3605/93369973.png[/img]
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

OTRaw wrote:A couple of questions:

In a Journal entry and on the note The_Greatness mentioned that the murderer was at Jaw Rock. For the life of me I cannot find where he means.

Also is it OK to edit things outside of Marog for the quest? ('cause there is no place to put smugglers inside the cell)

Thanks.

Edit: As I cannot find a place that looks at all like a jaw, any objections to setting the camp up here, just outside Marog. A couple of smugglers in the red area and the leader of them in the blue where the hill levels off.

[img]http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/3605/93369973.png[/img]
Jaw Rock doesn't exist. I was going to make it. Feel free to change the name if you can't make a jaw or something, I just thought that would make a suitable landmark.

However, isn't that spot right next to Kemel-ze? I was going to put it on the opposite side of the penninsular Marog is on.
OTRaw wrote:If you read this The_greatness I think the dialogue not appearing was where you wanted the locals to talk about the murder after the quest was started at index 10, but you had typed index 100
*facepalm*. I suprise myself at my own stupidity sometimes. I spent quiet I while looking for that. Are you sure? I put a check to make sure it was less than 100... Did I put the wrong symbol or something?
Thrignar Fraxix wrote:Revoked then I guess.

Oblivion is very shiny, and grabs you hard at the start. After your first game though, what with the complete lack of branching questlines and creative landscapes, you'll probably grow bored with it.

Or at least I hope this is the case as it would mean you aren't gone for too long.
I discovered Oblivion mods. Silly me.

OTRaw
Developer

Post by OTRaw »

Hey The_Greatness, come back! :D

First off, I think you had told it to start > 100 and < 100 :P I can't really remember now I edited it.

Secondly, do you think that this would be a better suited location:
[img]http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/2601/46922746.png[/img]

If not, where do you think it should be?

Good to see you here, you really should start questing again 0_o
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

I'm not sure I like the idea of adding something that looks like a jaw to the landscape. We already have dragonhead point. Also, Jaw rock is a terrible name.

can't this just take place somewhere that already exists?
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
OTRaw
Developer

Post by OTRaw »

Problem solved, I shall use the tree you can see in the bottom right of the square. It already exists, is easily recognizable, easy to give directions to and is at a choke point so you can't walk past it without realizing.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Thrignar Fraxix wrote:I'm not sure I like the idea of adding something that looks like a jaw to the landscape. We already have dragonhead point. Also, Jaw rock is a terrible name.

can't this just take place somewhere that already exists?
I had a good look around for somewhere suitable, and I was planning to build a small camp there so I felt it may as well be somewhere new.

And don't worry, I was never going to be gone, I'm just struggling to find the motivation to mod Morrowind at the moment. If I can get back into it I'll get back to work. That area you suggest looks perfect btw, you could easily fit a little camp in that clearing and give it a better name.

OTRaw
Developer

Post by OTRaw »

WIPed.

I've been very busy the past couple of weeks and have done little of this claim, I should of finished ages ago :/

But I have done a bit. Wrote a bunch of scripts, created some new NPCs for the quest and fixed alot of IDs that didn't conform to the TR standard.

I'm off on holiday for 1 week but I am pretty sure I will get it finished within a week, two at the most, of getting back.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Awesome :-) Thanks for the update, OTRraw
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
OTRaw
Developer

Post by OTRaw »

Requesting a revoke.

Really sorry about this, but I can't motivate myself to work on this claim any more :(

Don't get me wrong, the design is a good one and I still enjoy quest-modding, but I can never get anything done with THIS quest.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

This is my mess. If no-one else has claimed it after I've finished the Helnim miscs I'll clean it up. Of course I have nothing against anyone else finishing it...

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

don't worry about it OTRaw, that happens to everyone at some point.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

This claim is clearly more trouble than it's worth. Is there any active TR quester other than me who hasn't had a shot at this one? :P

To simplify things, three quests here is not necesary, and looking back, Greatness, your third quest wasn't all that good in its specifics anyway. Some good ideas for implementation, but didn't really fit here in terms of storyline. So I've cut that quest, leaving us with two complete and perfectly respectable quests.

I've cleaned those two up for most typos and playtested and fixed up a couple of bugs. I'll count that as my review, so this should be ready for merge now, unless anyone wants to give it a further test.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

I'll drink to that. That quest was my first designed, and was, in essense, shite.

Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

This file is now ready to be merged. I'm not even going to say it...

-double check it.

Damn I said it.
Attachments
TR_q2-10-Mis_Bloodthirsty Crustacean_1.rar
(18.65 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Not another memory

...And so my bad karma gets worse
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Claim has been merged into TR_Mainland and has been released with Sacred East.