The Big Creature List

Place where approved concepts are developed into in-game assets. (Models & Textures)

Moderator: Lead Developers

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I like both. Is it possible to have both?
Worsas
Developer

Post by Worsas »

I must say the second vermai is kind of cool with that long mouth.

Here is an update on the spider daedra. I have been messing with it for a while really. Turned out a bit generic though. Do you have advises?

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g23/Worsas/spiderdaedra.jpg
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

This one looks like a male. You could of course have a smaller, male version.
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Worsas wrote:I must say the second vermai is kind of cool with that long mouth.

Here is an update on the spider daedra. I have been messing with it for a while really. Turned out a bit generic though. Do you have advises?

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g23/Worsas/spiderdaedra.jpg
I would really redo the face. Firstly, it's quite obviously one of the standard faces with black eyes on it. Secondly, the texture is pretty stretched and the eyes are too far apart. As for the hand, I think it would look a lot better with normal hands. (Black, as BC suggested.)
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Yep, I agree with Ada.

Aeven, I think it would be better being male. Distinguishes it from the Oblivion one, and also the whole 'black widow sexy spider lady' stereotype.

Worsas, I would advise just removing as much of the 'extras' as possible (e.g. ball eyes, pincer hands, patterned abdomen) and just keep it as a pure 'Dunmer man', although perhaps keeping those shoulder spikes; and with black hands/forearms. He also needs ears.

There is still concern about those massive legs, as well. They could be made a lot more compact.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Nice, but the black & red spider abdomen and legs scream oblivion to me.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

It's sort of hard to avoid with Spider Daedra, unfortunately. As for the legs, while I agree that they could use some scaling down at any rate, it might be a good idea to additionally make them less splayed while otherwise keeping their largish dimensions. That way it would simply look like a spider in a cramped area, which any Spider Daedra we place would probably be.
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:Yep, I agree with Ada.

Aeven, I think it would be better being male. Distinguishes it from the Oblivion one, and also the whole 'black widow sexy spider lady' stereotype.
Very true.
Worsas, I would advise just removing as much of the 'extras' as possible (e.g. ball eyes, pincer hands, patterned abdomen) and just keep it as a pure 'Dunmer man', although perhaps keeping those shoulder spikes; and with black hands/forearms. He also needs ears.
I agree. I think it could do without a lot of the extras. [url=http://www.imperial-library.info/bestiaries/battlespire_large_spiderdaedraperthan-1.jpg]The Battlespire ones[/url] were simply a naked male upper body. (Though they're rather stupid otherwise.) I don't object to the shoulders, though. As for the eyes: I kind of like them having multiple sets of eyes, but I think it'll look better painted into the texture.
Peterboy
Developer

Post by Peterboy »

BC asked me to make a face for the Spider Daedra, so I came up with this. How do you like it? Ideas? I'm not big fan of the multiple eyes(nor the black and red design)
Attachments
Untitled-3.jpg
(160.18 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Last edited by Peterboy on Sun May 30, 2010 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A sick thought can devour the body’s flesh more than fever or consumption"
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

Peterboy wrote:BY asked me to make a face for the Spider Daedra, so I came up with this. How do you like it? Ideas?
I'd drop the facial tattoos/markings and keep it a straight dunmer face (I'd go with the skinniest head mesh, the vampire one) make the eyes all black and then add a couple more sets one above and one below the normal eyes.
[url]http://www.rvnant.tumblr.com/[/url]
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Personally I don't like multiple eyes. Distracts from the overall thing, and will inevitably just look tacky and drawn on. I think black eyes would look more like posession, less like Daedric. The vampiric face looks too wizened, so I'd stick with the current one, which is good. The tatoos I could take or leave. Depends on if they distract from the hands or not.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Peterboy
Developer

Post by Peterboy »

Just out of curiosity I made this vamp head with black eyes. Well IMO it looks like shit. Atleast the eyes... the headshape depends on the overall feeling.

For the spiderbody [url=http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/gallery/files/5/2/8/6/GardenSpider_225060.JPG]this color and pattern might be better[/url]
First: it's spidery
Second: the brownish tones are matching more with the color palette of morrowind
Third: it dosen't looks like oblivion. Only the dremora has the black and red demon style in morrowind :)
Attachments
Untitled-2.jpg
(157.24 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

I like multiple eyes
[url=http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=heads.png][img]http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/9505/heads.th.png[/img][/url]
I don't like the tattoos though, they look like tribal tattoos and too realworld.

@BC drawn on they would be, tacky though - that depends on how they are drawn on.

Edit: They'd probably cool cooler dunmer red.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

No, I'm sorry but that just looks crap. :P Multiple eyes is not a good idea.

Personally, I think a head that works like the Winged Twilight head is far superior. (i.e. relatively Dunmer, but like Peterboy's does, with more shiny eyes) Otherwise it just gets gimmicky and draws away from the purity of the image (as the tatoos do to an extent).
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

Multiple eyes is a very good idea. Along with a dunmer male upper body and head the difference in the eyes will tie these parts with the spider part of the rest of the creature.

@Peterboy The brown colours there aren't going to match with dunmer skintone and the black stained hands and forearms.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

It doesn't need tieing. The point of having a Dunmer body is to distinguish the spider daedra and make it distinctively Dunmer, not to then submerge it in spideriness again. The point also still stands that we haven't yet seen multiple eyes looking even remotely decent. They'll either look painted on or like something from a budget 70s sci-fi show.

You're right on the colour scheme, the current one should stay for now.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Worsas
Developer

Post by Worsas »

hey, that's a good thing. I was already worried because of the human features that i should make.

As for now I have deleted any of the things mentioned as extras by BC. Even the pauldrons. If you allow I would prefer to keep the pattern on the body but change the color of the stripes to black instead.

Would that be okay?

I think I'm gonna remake the whole animation now as there is no point in keeping the old-one anymore. I thought keeping the walking-animation and the fighting-animations of the spider would save me some work, but actually it looks crappier and crappier to me while I look at it now.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Yep, sounds good.

If you're going to redo the animations, now might be a good time to look at down-sizing the body and legs to make it more compact. Make the Dunmer-half more prominent, rather than the spider half.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Peterboy
Developer

Post by Peterboy »

Nalin wrote: @Peterboy The brown colours there aren't going to match with dunmer skintone and the black stained hands and forearms.
Good point.

(The pauldrons looked good IMHO, but they are not necessity)
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

Just to let you all know - I took over the spider daedra from Worsas. I'll be modeling and texturing it.
Worsas
Developer

Post by Worsas »

Oh dude, I should have started with animating your Nixmount already. :oops:

But my plan ahead involves doing the above-thing soon.

I'm still here and watching progress, just not modding much for TR atm. I also did not want to join the usual praise about your dres-stuff as it wouldn't have added much to what the others have already said. :)
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Nix-mount progress? spidea-daedra progress? I'm lovely all this animation productivity, good work guys!!, this is going to be great with all these new creatures. :D

In addition, I recently heard Dirnae has finished and sent his Sea Crab our way as well, which will also make a nice addition to TR's finished list of creatures :)