TES V: Skyrim announced

Miscellaneous non-TR related discussion.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Chin Music
Developer

TES V: Skyrim announced

Post by Chin Music »

Trailer here:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/vga-10-tba-game-2/708368?type=flv
drfroth

Post by drfroth »

Holy Bawlz of Hector... finaly here.
Just when you think it's all ducks and checkers, the salamander begins to frolic in the eggnogg.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

about to watch the trailer. I will either cry or need new pants. Load faster!

Holy fuck that didn't tell us much of anything but it still looks awesome.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Thrignar Fraxix wrote:Holy fuck that didn't tell us much of anything but it still looks awesome.
Agreed.

I totally hope they don't pull a "omg dragonz attax halp halp" generic fantasification. Though Lady N's lore analysis of the trailer over on the official forum helped to alleviate my fear a bit.

Let's hope they updated the engine already.
MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

The whole time I just sat and didn't know what to think of that ghetto ass Morrowind theme redux.
"Thank you to the Makers of Rules. To the Breakers of Backs. To the sincere Autocrats. To the false Democrats. To the Builders of Walls. To the Painters of Lines. To those who Tattoo Numbers. To those who point fingers. To those who count their greed. To those who split by colour. To those who smile their lies.

Thank you so very much."
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

I just died a little of reading the retarded threads at the official forums.

No - technology from 2005 (echsbosch) and 2006 (place titson) is not flashy anymore. There's no more "juice" to crank, no more "strings to pull". Fuck you and your dated tech.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

MSam wrote:The whole time I just sat and didn't know what to think of that ghetto ass Morrowind theme redux.
Shouty Nords. acceptable.
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

The announcement left me neutral, but I am looking forward to the new game. Hope I will have a new machine by then, but that is unlikely. :x
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

Trailers are obviously notorious for not telling a damned thing about the actual product, but it does tell us what they want us to think about their product.

I, for one, am thinking: Dragons... vikings.... and beowulf?
Myzel's Art gallery: [url]http://themyzel.deviantart.com/[/url]
Scamp
Reviewer

Post by Scamp »

Nice.
"Scamp you are the wonderboy" - Praedator

[url=http://scamp.blogspot.com/][img]http://i.imgur.com/Ea8ABeM.png[/img][/url]
Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

Already? I haven't even played Oblivion yet.
Le vent nous portera

Tea is important! - Cathartis
Letrune
Developer

Post by Letrune »

For me, music is good, I like human voice over the TES theme. :)
Do you think that NASA' computers will be able to run TES V when it comes out?
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Screw all that, Mass Effect 3 was announced!

Although to be honest, I think this is the year my degree finally dies under the sheer assault of awesome: Dragon Age 2, Witcher 2, Assassin's Creed 3, TESV, ME3, Pokemon Black and White, 3DS, Phoenix Wright vs. Professor Layton, Gyakuten Kenji 2... faack.

The main thing that gives me hope for TESV right now is the inclusion of Akulakhan in the teaser. Tho to be honest I have always had faith that Bethesda were gonna miraculously make Skyrim amazing, despite the massive crapfest that was Oblivion: somehow I just can't not be excited.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Hmm. I'm a little worried. Nords plus Dragons plus awesome mountainous province usualy equal win but if Beth make another generic fantasy land and fill it with nothing but boring, samey mountains with generic dungeons they could really screw it up.
Warning: may contain large amounts of sarcasm.

Myzel- We never actually see slaves working on Vvardenfell either. They're always just standing there. If you ask me they deserve a good whipping.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:

Although to be honest, I think this is the year my degree finally dies under the sheer assault of awesome: Dragon Age 2, Witcher 2, Assassin's Creed 3, TESV, ME3, Pokemon Black and White, 3DS, Phoenix Wright vs. Professor Layton, Gyakuten Kenji 2... faack.
My thoughts exactly.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
King Toxin

Post by King Toxin »

I'm psyched for this. I know I shouldn't be on the TES forums following this game 'cause it's just going to spoil too much for me, but I don't think I can stay away. I do want to see some gameplay trailers, though.
osiris
TR Tester

Post by osiris »

These are sweet news indeed. Nothing that has not been possible to suspect since 2006, in reality... As many of us already knew that TES V would have been set in Skyrim. ;) Now let's hope Bethesda will put in this new game the same amount of depth of Morrowind.
Last edited by osiris on Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harke the Apostle, Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:26 pm
My book sucks cause it´s a vampire.

Hemitheon, Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:51 pm
*sarcastic*
You know what's also popular? Enormous flying cities and ridable dragons. Maybe TR should invest in navigable ships and underwater cities.
drfroth

Post by drfroth »

Just realized that this comes out the day of my wedding...hope she understands...lol.
Just when you think it's all ducks and checkers, the salamander begins to frolic in the eggnogg.
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

I just heard about this on facebook, screw ESF I come here to talk about these things :-P I, for one, am super excited about this. I'm going to need a new computer by then, no way my crappy old graphics card will be able to handle it.

And it comes out the day before my birthday lol
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/12/12/bethesda-says-skyrim-engine-all-new/

Skyrim engine all new. The end of mods? Or even better mod support?
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

The old engine is up for sale according to this thread:

http://www.silgrad.com/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=12599

I wonder if the new engine will allow (quite) easy modding.
Maybe they grew tired of the old engine or they thought the old engine was too flawed.

Anyway I would love like to see ingame screenshots.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

The old engine was based on Gamebryo, which went bankrupt. Whats on sale is the Gamebryo, not Bethesda's modification of it.

The CS is likely to remain the same - I doubt they would have radically switched up tools on their workers. We'll be stuck without exporters and Nifskope though, unless Beth releases the code themselves (which they might, since the engine is 100% theirs).
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
osiris
TR Tester

Post by osiris »

blackbird wrote: Anyway I would love like to see ingame screenshots.
Mee too, and I'm sure some will show up soon. :)
Harke the Apostle, Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:26 pm
My book sucks cause it´s a vampire.

Hemitheon, Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:51 pm
*sarcastic*
You know what's also popular? Enormous flying cities and ridable dragons. Maybe TR should invest in navigable ships and underwater cities.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Lady Nerevar wrote:We'll be stuck without exporters and Nifskope though, unless Beth releases the code themselves (which they might, since the engine is 100% theirs).
Their reasoning for not releasing the code for things like that was always that it wasn't 100% theirs, so we'll see.
Last edited by Haplo on Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Myzel wrote:Trailers are obviously notorious for not telling a damned thing about the actual product, but it does tell us what they want us to think about their product.

I, for one, am thinking: Dragons... vikings.... and beowulf?
That's exactly what I was thinking too, I'm interested to see what elements of the old nordic culture they will include into the game.

Although I'm more interested about the terrain atm, Skyrim is OBVIOUSLY covered in a large area of Ice and snow, and its very mountaious, but I'm curious how much of the province will be covered in such conditions.

Maybe they might include seasonal changes into the game to alleviate some of this snow/ice?

I'd be very curious to see what the final outcome will be. :D
Last edited by RelinQ on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter (on IAS): "Since when do you need to be able to do backflips to dig holes?" Fri 29 Jul, 2005 3:57:03
Sload (on Narsis): "Jesus Christ, I wonder why there was lag when you had an 80,000 face gazebo." Thu 09 Apr, 2009 11:46:33
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

Well, I am hoping for the map to be something along the lines of this
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/GrungeHead1991/SkyrimMapv2-1.jpg[/img]
instead of just a big pile of snow.
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Well me too Andres, The last thing you want is a huge map thats 2/3rd's snow normally, let alone what conditions would be like if it was 'winter season' as such.

You'd be assuming though that you that they would make several different levels of tree lines as the terrain rises and falls. rather intriguing tbh.
Dexter (on IAS): "Since when do you need to be able to do backflips to dig holes?" Fri 29 Jul, 2005 3:57:03
Sload (on Narsis): "Jesus Christ, I wonder why there was lag when you had an 80,000 face gazebo." Thu 09 Apr, 2009 11:46:33
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

They'll find ways to vary the landscape and climate, I think we can take that pretty much as a given. That's the sort of relatively superficial thing that most reviewers would pick up on and criticise.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

gro-Dhal wrote:They'll find ways to vary the landscape and climate, I think we can take that pretty much as a given.
They probably thought that before they released Oblivion too.
Warning: may contain large amounts of sarcasm.

Myzel- We never actually see slaves working on Vvardenfell either. They're always just standing there. If you ask me they deserve a good whipping.
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

Not to mention Fallout 3.
Myzel's Art gallery: [url]http://themyzel.deviantart.com/[/url]
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

The Greatness wrote:
gro-Dhal wrote:They'll find ways to vary the landscape and climate, I think we can take that pretty much as a given.
They probably thought that before they released Oblivion too.
Not being funny, but they did exactly that in Oblivion. Snow, forest, plains, swamp. Not an exciting variety, but a variety nonetheless.
rpeh

Post by rpeh »

I'm sure there'll be plenty of variation, but even if it's 70% snow, Bethesda have learned how to do it better since the boring wastes of Solsthiem or Cyrodiil's mountains.

The Operation Anchorage DLC for Fallout 3 had some truly stunning landscapes, and it was 100% snow and ice.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

p.s. N keep it up and you'll swiftly mantle Princess Stomper in the road to BGSF modhood. ;)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

I think I'm a bit too opinionated to ever be elected mod. Although you're not the first to suggest that. Last time mods were elected someone suggested that I was next xD

I may soon be the proud author of (another) sticky :)
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

yeh, you'd maybe have to be a little less lore-focused and get lucky with your patter with the devs; but it brings back happy memories of F3 times, back when I was active over there. :)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

I'd say my spread is pretty nice actually: I cover community discussion, Skyrim, OB/MW mods, TES General, and lore daily.
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

i mean in regards to lore, your focus. I don't know how much the mods get the 'Shadowy Forum Clique'(TM) world view and its attendant level of detail (as seen in your rather comprehesive breakdown threads). :P
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

Heh, if you think the breakdown threads are comprehensive take a look at the comment section of my profile :P
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

[img]http://static.zenimax.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif[/img] :P

i will lol when it's at last inevitably revealed that the answer is "they're literally just dragons, cos dragons are awesome, amirite?" :P
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

I'll lol, and then I am disappoint.

[url=http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_183695274981341&ap=1]Grow a beard to show your love for skyrim.[/url]
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!