Golems

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

vorrheis

Golems

Post by vorrheis »

Here's the pic.
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

I made 2 skins for these guys and I figured out 2 ways to use them. If you set the movement to 0 and the idle chance of 2 and 3 to 0, then set attack at about 70, it will look like a statue and will attack you if you get too close.
If you set the idle chance for 2 and 3 high, and give it some movement, then it acts just like a normal monster.
Also, to use them as statues, make a new static and use the nif file without an X, and there you go. If you set the first type of golem in the middle of some statues, you could give someone a nasty surprise.
The same tactic works for the steam gigas, except he only has 1 idle, so you only need to adjust movement.

Vorrheis
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Well, I would like them to be more massive, and it seems they don't quite join at the hip (the beolt patrt being so much wider than the torso). Especially the slim tummy and hips seem somewhat - unrockish. I do like the head, face and arms, very intimidating.

Those look good already, and with soem work, they could be yet another great creature you made for TR!

BTW, are you going to rework the telvanni squid and the very old Kergymalechi models? The Patastylus? And whatever happened to the big red deep sea crab?
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
Gimli the dwarf

Post by Gimli the dwarf »

They don't really need to look like rock. I believe the old golem myth where it was constructed by a Jewish man (I may be totally messing this up) was made of clay. Perhaps make another skin of one that's reddish-orange for clay and the ones you have give them a more rocky texture with cracks and crevices.

Another note, I think they'd look much more intimidating by blackening out the eyes to where if the player looks into it's face they see nothing but a lifeless empty expression.

Cool stuff Vorrheis, I'm glad to see you tackling all the monsters of old, trolls and golems. Can't wait to see what you concoct next :D
ElohimAlpha

Post by ElohimAlpha »

It'd be nice to see slightly varried models depending on the material that the golems are made from. If clay, then they could look more sculpted (like the screenshot), but it would be nice to see a much chunkier rock golem (just a pile of rocks in human form). Ebon golems (ebony) would be cool, or some weaker, smaller bonemold golems. Pretty much any material in the game. . .
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

I see what you guys mean. I'm going to fix up these two, then make variants for other materials (ebony, and clay).
Were the animations okay?
I'm also thinking about a boss type golem, made of moonrock from a meteor with golden embellishments. Then it becomes self aware and tries to take over the world, or something like that.
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Very cool Vorrheis :D I'd probably wet myself if i was going through some statues and one came out and grabbed me. And i also like the idea of blackening out the eyes... that'd be very creepy.

I'll add the golem to the stickied list of models. :)
Gimli the dwarf

I haven't checked animations yet, but I'll throw some down in my claim and get back to you :wink:
Gimli the dwarf

The animations are pretty good, but there's a problem I've noticed with these and some of the others. When they're moving they will be coming towards you and it's almost like the animation resets. It's hard to explain, but they'll take steps towards you and once the animation is complete they aren't exactly where the animation places them... if you need me to explain better just say so, it's kind of diffcult considering I don't model :cry:

Besides that the animations are fine, I also realized that with a few modifications to this model you could make several different humanoid creatures (ogre, cyclops, etc) might be something to think about :D

Great work though Vorrheis, keep it up my friend.
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

Gimli- Thank you for playtesting my monsters. Most people just look at the jpeg and give me recommendations from that. I know what you are talking about with the walk (it is a looped animation). I think I fixed it. I also blacked out the eyes. They still rotate to gems when they are active. I don't know if that is what everyone dislikes, but it would be easy to fix. I vertex painted the hell out of these things so they should look a lot less bland.
Finally I just made a Mud Golem. He has a big gut and fat legs. He doesn't have hands and in general looks mis-shaped. I think the only other versions I want to make are marble and clay. They could be the same mesh with different textures. They would look more human, as they were sculpted.
I'll have this stuff up on sunday. We need to limit how many types of golem we have or the levelled lists could get a bit redundant.

Vorrheis
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

Okay, I think I fixed the animations, I removed the eyes, and I vertex shaded them. The mud golem is just an idea, we don't have to use it. I do like his death animation a lot. I added movement to the first Idle. I don't want the monster to suffer on the off chance someone will try the guard thing. I'm calling these the mud golem, daedric stone golem, and plain stone golem. I'm going to make new meshes for the remaining golems (clay, marble, and ebony). I think 6 is a good number for these. What do you guys think?
Gimli the dwarf

Alright, cool man, didn't expect you to fix it so quickly 8)

I'll go and check these out and give you some more feedback. If you'd like to know a couple other models that do the "loop" problem the gigas and swamp troll :wink:

Good luck with fixes these and I'll post some more feedback in a little bit.
Gimli the dwarf

Well I checked their animations and they're much better now :D. There's still a very minor hint of the problem, but it's nothing worth worrying about. I think they're good to go at this point, their attack animations are all fine and the walking is much improved. Great work :wink:
dEUS

Bloodtextures.

Post by dEUS »

Vorr, As I said on the ST boards. Keep in mind that you need new bloodtextures as well. The bloodtextures available right now are only for human, undead and metal sparks for the dwemer things. With the golems you cant use either of em really. Just a thing to think about.

-D-
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

exactly how would new ones be added in TESCS?
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Also for some of the golems in lore check out the creatures of tamrial post in the creatures section. Stone golems are 1 of the types listed there.
(Clay golems are not but that doesn't necissarily exclude them from the game)
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Also to vary the golem looks a bit maybe make the clay golem a bit more red and give it the a head based more off of the storm or smoothed frost atronach (more of a rounder less refined look)