5-19-Red

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

5-19-Red

Post by Haplo »

Claim type: Exterior
Claim ID: TR_5-19-Red (#1215)
Faction: Redoran
Claimed by: Nemon
Files: TR_5-19-Red_Aeven_5.esp; TR_5-19-Red_Nemon_1.esp

---

Velothi Mountains. Includes Cormar, a Hlaalu town in the middle of Redoran territory, and thus a provocation to the Redoran.
Claimer must create a city proposal when claiming.

Please download map 5 height map here and work from that:

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=19347
Note that cleaning irrelevant cells may create land tears, so backup your work regularly and often.

This part of the VM uses BM statics.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

See this picture for regional borders, roads and rivers. Some roads are a little "off" in the Uld Vraech part, but the merged map file has the layout we're aiming for.

[url=http://i.imgur.com/4bpa4.jpg][img]http://i.imgur.com/4bpa4s.jpg[/img][/url]
Clicky me...
Last edited by Nemon on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I'd like to take this one. I want Cormaris to be a town which has a feeling of being fortified, and at the centre a kind of stronghold, citadel. I also intend for it to feel wintery, with bits of ice on the lake. There would be a small, but permanent dock area, for the import of foodstuffs, and the export of what I only assume is lumber, and ebony from the mines.

Is this a city proposal, or would I have to build it?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

The lake shouldn't be quite as large as it is in the map image; it should only span some of the row, not the entire row, of cells it occupies.

Also, this is a relatively new town, so keep that in mind. Granting.

Oh, and just a reminder: Work off of the height map.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

I would suggest you keep the winter-y stuff for the higher areas of this claim, as this region isn't that far up north to warrant icy waters. I believe you have some altitude in the southern cells in this claim?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Just a heads up, this claim needs an update (and a file) by Wednesday.

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I actually don't have the time to do a proper job of this, as I'm in my exam year. Consider me dropping this.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Dropped as per Aeven's request. OH PEOPLE, A CITY CLAIM!
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I like city claims.

Would it be possible for me to work up a layout for Cormaris?
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Sure. But I can't tell how long this will stay unclaimed.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I'll claim it then and put something together then.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Sure, granting.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Awesome, I split the claim off from the rest of map5 last night and I'll begin a layout tonight.

Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Here's my plan for Cormaris. All the architecture is set. I cut the size of the island in half, this way the town occupies the whole island. This shouldn't change anything besides the fact that the lake will occupy another two cells that used to be island. I think this looks better and works better with the fortified feel. There will be cliffs around the rest of the island, you can pretty much see where'd they'd go.

Be mindful the file is dirty, as I was too excited to clean it.

edit: I cleaned it

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Very nice, love the multiple levels thing you've got going on.

Obviously it will change once you've got terrain and rocks in place etc., but right now it seems to me just a tad 'artificial' having the city so neatly fit on the island. I would perhaps extend the eastern side of the island a bit, but make it rugged terrain that's not suitable for building - a rocky peak that rises above the rest of the city might frame it quite nicely? It would also be a nice conclusion to that natural curving 'rise' in terrain you have the city following.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Very nice.
Perhaps a smaller island or two could be placed to the east of the main island, hosting some summer residence of some noble, shack of a hermit, or HQ of some secretive institution, grotto, ruins of some older settlement or what have you (or simply just wilderness). There could be a boat connetcion or not. Just large water area would not look to good, IMHO.

Also please include suggetion of height of the terrain in the south and approximate road location. I would like to match my claim to yours. Do you plan to have the lake surounded by high peeks and aim for a feeling of a mountain lake?
THEO
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Someone please post a few screens of this, I don't have access to my computer for a while.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I'll begin placing larger terrain statics and the bridge today then.

I like the idea of islands, that would definitely ease the problem of having a big wide open lake now.

Once I have a little more progress I'll take a few screens.

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Tyrion wrote:I'll begin placing larger terrain statics and the bridge today then.

I like the idea of islands, that would definitely ease the problem of having a big wide open lake now.

Once I have a little more progress I'll take a few screens.
I wanted to see the very concept everyone is talking about before you do any important stuff...
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Right on it, here's some CS shots I took just now.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9897526/CormarisConcept/Cormaris1.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9897526/CormarisConcept/Cormaris2.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9897526/CormarisConcept/Cormaris3.jpg
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Thank you, this is why it's extremely important to make plans before any valuable and irritating-to-delete work has been performed. The size has to be drastically reduced, Cormaris View is supposed to be a "Hlaalu venture" into disputed lands, whereas this is close to Balmora in terms of numbers of interiors. It pretty much goes without saying - this needs to be way smaller.

I'm sorry the description doesn't include guidelines on that particular detail, but from earlier consensus we've landed on max 20 ints or so for this town (oops I shouldn't have called it city), and also important: It's a fairly "new" settlement as well, which means the modder will have to make sure it looks less developed than, say "older" Hlaalu towns.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

No problem then if we can't use this.

I had some time to drum up a settlement the last couple of days, but seeing as this isn't what was called for, and I won't really have time to sit down and mod for a while, I'd rather just drop this now than let it sit while I find free time to mull for ideas.

Sorry about that.

edit: I added my latest file in case you want to truncate the existing city to the desired size. Also, use my file since it has the separated cells, rather than going back to the heightmap.

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

I sympathize with you on this, Tyrion.

I tried to claim this some years ago, but my proposal for Cormaris was 40 interiors back then :D

Hlaalu set is just so cool for crafting large cities this temptation is hard to resist.

Making Hlaalu town of less than 20 interiors is perhaps comparable to driving Ferrari at 50km/h.
THEO
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Theo wrote:Making Hlaalu town of less than 20 interiors is perhaps comparable to driving Ferrari at 50km/h.
Then by all means, stay away from Ald Erfoud. :rolleyes:
And revoked.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Theo wrote:I sympathize with you on this, Tyrion.

I tried to claim this some years ago, but my proposal for Cormaris was 40 interiors back then :D

Hlaalu set is just so cool for crafting large cities this temptation is hard to resist.

Making Hlaalu town of less than 20 interiors is perhaps comparable to driving Ferrari at 50km/h.
It's just I wasn't aware of the scope of the settlement. I've never used the Hlaalu set to build any significant settlement before, so I ended up going all MC Escher on it.

I also have the tendency to rush ideas when I get them, and I was a bit over-ambitious here, especially given the fact that I didn't have time to go back and redo anything.

Bad planning on my part.

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Ald Erfoud is actually very nice and enjoyable town. What I say is that I just wouldn't have the discipline and skill to make it the way it is.
THEO
alex25
Developer

Post by alex25 »

I'd like to try this. The town will be reduced in size and will have a squarish, fort-like shape. It should have 3-4 towers, one large administrative building 4-5 shops one (or maybe two) taverns and 7-8 regular houses. I'll keep a sizable docking area though because a) this town thrives on trade b) it's the safest way to bring food and stuff into it if the redoran decide to blockade the roads. The island will be bigger so the town will be about 1/4 of it. I'll also put some smaller islands all around.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Granting. We'd like to see what you've got for the town early on.
alex25
Developer

Post by alex25 »

Updated. The town layout and all the buildings are placed. This is a fort-town so it's quite compact. It's both new and a statement of Hlaalu power (thus the small size but lots of towers and the large administrative building in the middle).
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Like the design; for the bridges perhaps either make the centre-rails bleed into each other (but lower/raise one slightly so there's no visible clipping) so that it's not very obviously just two adjacent bridges, or more simply scale them up to 2.00, which might look nicer anyway.

Personally I'd keep the islands in the lake separate, not linked by bridges? Dunno.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
alex25
Developer

Post by alex25 »

Thanks BC! There is only one bridge on either side now and the temple has been replaced with some Hlaalu buildings. Also how much snow is in this claim anyway? Since by the looks of it most of this is going to be BM without snow.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

You can use snow for altitudes above 4-4500.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

You're within a week of the update limit, please update status.
alex25
Developer

Post by alex25 »

Due to cleaning the wrong cells without backup I lost quite a bit of work. I'm curently re-doing this stuff and will post a significant update in a few days. Also are there supposed to be any ruins/mines/velohi towers in the claim?
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

You might place a discrete dwemer ruin somewhat hidden by trees in the north east part of your claim. I think that would look kind of nice, and would be an original addition to TR. For other stuff, placing mines, caves, velothi tombs is all right as long as they're not too close to each other.
alex25
Developer

Post by alex25 »

Okay. Made a small backup update just in case.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Whoops! This needs an update by Saturday.

alex25
Developer

Post by alex25 »

Updated. Remade everything I lost and changed a few bits. Progress is going to be faster from now on.
alex25
Developer

Post by alex25 »

Update. All textures, roads and major buildings are placed. Now for the cluttering.
alex25
Developer

Post by alex25 »

Update. All the BM caves and tombs added some 300 trees added doors added, some shading added... Only some detailing left before finish... If there is any problem with the int locations now would be a good time to mention it.