MwGek - Showcase

In order to implement content in-game, you must be a Developer. This is the place for you to introduce yourself, and apply to become a TR Developer.

Moderator: Lead Developers

greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

Is anyone still interested in the large ornate band around the buildings shown in this concept?

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/1353/richhouseconcept1c.jpg

I have to admit, I had my reservations when you started posting the buildings with the sandstone textures, but now that they are closer to the decided color scheme of Dres, I have to say that I'm a convert. Great looking work!

Note: I still want to see some building decals and decoration like in that screenshot. I think it would look very awesome indeed. Even if you just put in a dummy texture for the ornate bits, just so that later a texture artist can fill them in correctly
Gentlemen, start your striders:
[url]http://tristikov.deviantart.com/art/G-Dunmer-wit-Siltstridaz-dawg-28071455[/url]
hmmmm... I should have looked at this guys DA gallery before posting a link to it... he likes horses... a little too much
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Looks awesome Nalin. The walkway I showed there was just a bridge model. I like the atmosphere in your picture, feels good. And since you still have the claim and i'm not promoted to do models for TR u still call the shots on this. I'm just messing around I guess.
--Mwgek--
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

@greendogo,

I think I recall some mentioning that more important or significant buildings would be likely to have some ornate bands.

However seeing as I haven't been here in a while, it may have changed.
Dexter (on IAS): "Since when do you need to be able to do backflips to dig holes?" Fri 29 Jul, 2005 3:57:03
Sload (on Narsis): "Jesus Christ, I wonder why there was lag when you had an 80,000 face gazebo." Thu 09 Apr, 2009 11:46:33
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

Yeah, that would actually make more sense. I wouldn't expect a pawn shop to have a fancy exterior.
[url]http://tristikov.deviantart.com/art/G-Dunmer-wit-Siltstridaz-dawg-28071455[/url]
hmmmm... I should have looked at this guys DA gallery before posting a link to it... he likes horses... a little too much
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

Adding alpha mapped decals to the basic textured buildings was an idea we discussed - giving us alot more customization options - for wealthier Dres - family name/liniage tributes around doorways etc.

Like this stuff:[url=http://img706.imageshack.us/i/dresatmosphericconceptc.jpg/][img]http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/3451/dresatmosphericconceptc.th.jpg[/img][/url]
[url]http://www.rvnant.tumblr.com/[/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Those decals are super sexy... but where did that ghost in the doorway come from? Photoshop?
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

Photoshop, yeah, along with most of the rest of the stuff in the image.
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Wow, amazing picture Nalin. Everyone's work on Dres is really starting to look fantastic. looking foward to it.

Keep up the good work guys.
Dexter (on IAS): "Since when do you need to be able to do backflips to dig holes?" Fri 29 Jul, 2005 3:57:03
Sload (on Narsis): "Jesus Christ, I wonder why there was lag when you had an 80,000 face gazebo." Thu 09 Apr, 2009 11:46:33
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Some of the buildings..
Last edited by Mwgek on Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Mwgek--
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Hi, did some updates on my version of the Dres like set. Used some of Nalins dimensions, also made the overpass like he showed in his screens. Everything is in exact multiple of 64, so gridsnap proof. All models are UV mapped and replacing textures is easily done. I just used Nalins pre-made textures since im not much of an artist.

Screen that sums up what I made:
[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/drestest.png/][img]http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4963/drestest.th.png[/img][/url]

Top view screen. You can see the building can snap together to make L and T shapes.

[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/72/dres.png/][img]http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/3439/dres.th.png[/img][/url]

Now working on Overpass long and balcony in 3 variations.
Last edited by Mwgek on Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--Mwgek--
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Good to see some more news on this front! Looks pretty good :)
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Wanted to go ingame and see:

[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/9/dresv.jpg/][img]http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2339/dresv.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Also i'll attach the file with the buildings so far. If you want to visit it ingame type coc aaa_test_dres in console. I think I didn't like the textures correctly yet, but im not sure.
Last edited by Mwgek on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
--Mwgek--
SamirA
Developer Emeritus

Post by SamirA »

Oh, nicely done. maybe we will finally have something to build in Dres lands...
And that's how you get to Llama School.
Lady_N: mountain dew tastes like yellow and pwning at d&d
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

Cool, progress! Thanks for the rather thorough usage examples. That's a nice touch for this update.
Worsas
Developer

Post by Worsas »

Nice stuff here. Would there be a way this can combined into a final common set using some of the structures Warder made? That's just me hating to see work going to waste, though.

Warder also showed a cool council house with a few bad edges but otherwise well-shaped. I might be mistaken though when it comes to judging quality, you guys always see decisive tiny details I do not notice myself. And I will say I favor Nalins twists. But how about using the best elements from everywhere anyway? Idk, I haven't been with TR for some time now and I have no idea what you guys are up to.
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Well feel free to uvmap Warders building, I think the Dres claim is free to claim. Don't think there is anything decided yet.

Made the long overpass with Guard Towers from a dres concept art. But I'm not really satified with them.. They need to change a little bit, but im not sure what. And i'm having a fight with the texture on the topwall, which turns brown in CS and is Grey in Max.. Thnx for the reactions.

[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/dresyq.png/][img]http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9475/dresyq.th.png[/img][/url]
Last edited by Mwgek on Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Mwgek--
The guar man
Developer

Post by The guar man »

Wow man I haven't been around in awhile and I try to pop in when I can...but all I want to say is that the work you have put in is amazing...I think everyone can agree with me in saying thanks and keep up the fantastic work!!!
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Thnx, haven't done anything after the last update. Since i don't know what to do with it. Currently busy modelling some random stuff for my own morrowind character :).
--Mwgek--
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Mwgek wrote:Made the long overpass with Guard Towers from a dres concept art. But I'm not really satified with them.. They need to change a little bit, but im not sure what.
Perhaps change that roof-top wall that flares out to be more of a short guard-rail instead? It looks a bit silly/flimsy the way the walls are now, almost like a paper hat on a much more sturdy body.

PS this stuff is awesome
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Looking back, hopefully Nalin still has those door models he shows on the previous page. They're pretty awesome :)
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

I fired the set up in the CS and I have to say it is a dream to work with. Your latest file puts us tantalizingly close to a completed dres set, and for that I thank you.

Being so close I have to ask if you'd be willing to finish the set off. Looking through your most recent file, the only things that came to my tired brain as missing were stairs (probably 2 heights), balconies, pillars for free standing city walls, doors, and walls. (plus anything else I forgot, which I don't think could be much) I noticed you completed walls on the previous page so I am guessing that is in an earlier file. You appear to have started a door on the previous page as well, though I don't recall seeing a finished product. Anyway, what say you?

I really look forward to seeing what our exterior modders can cook up with this set. The freestanding pillars are so modular that I expect we will see a great deal of variation in dres structures.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Wow I missed this entirely. It looks really good, it would be great if it was completed soon.
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Looking back, hopefully Nalin still has those door models he shows on the previous page
That's the same model as these, only dimensions are different. I used his base model and remade it to snap perfectly in the mw cs. The other screens he showed is photoshop magic :).

the only things that came to my tired brain as missing were stairs (probably 2 heights), balconies, pillars for free standing city walls, doors, and walls.
Yes I can do that, but there is no concept are on any of these things. Should I create some out of the blue and get your opinions about them, rework etc.

Lastly I hope Nalin can do some better textures on the set. He said a while back he could do that easily. Like the alpha mapped decorations above doors etc. Everything is UV-mapped so save a new texture to its folder and done you are.
--Mwgek--
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Really super. I have a few stylistic thoughts that you can totally do what you want with, and ignore if I'm wrong.

For the rooftops and walkways, I would be tempted to reuse a vanilla texture, because for some reason I can always tell a modded floor texture when vanilla objects are placed on top. I think the Vivec canton floor brown tiles would work quite well? Would help make the overall thing less starkly black and white, too. Other textures might be better.

There are a couple of places with very sharp angles in the design that I think look slightly too harsh. I get that could be what we're going for, but I don't think it looks great as a 3d model - buildings should not be 'sharp', they should look weathered and solid. Notably, the 'archway' of the bridge piece, and the 'spiky pillar caps' on the guard towers. Could places like that be smoothed out just a touch?

This is also very noticable on the triangular windows, in my opinion. Just flattening the corners a touch might be good. In the guard tower, I would actually not use triangles at all but just tall narrow rectangles with rounded corners (a separate 'object' rather than holes in the wall, too). Some variant non-triangle windows like that for regular buildings too could also be cool. Could just retex some existing vanilla Hlaalu ones.

If anything I say above is wrong or off-base, ignore it!
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
SamirA
Developer Emeritus

Post by SamirA »

I agree with BC about the windows, they seem odd in with the perfectly sharp angles. I don't think it is such an issue in the other places mentioned, but a smoothness added to them as well wouldn't hurt.

It's such a good set already though that even without those tweaks it should be in game.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

regarding the things with a lack of concepts, seeing as you made most of the dres set already, I think you probably have a good enough grasp on the aesthetics that you wouldn't have to have a concept if you didn't want one.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

regarding the things with a lack of concepts, seeing as you made most of the dres set already, I think you probably have a good enough grasp on the aesthetics that you wouldn't have to have a concept if you didn't want one.
Ok I'll just try them and see how it goes.
For the rooftops and walkways, I would be tempted to reuse a vanilla texture, because for some reason I can always tell a modded floor texture when vanilla objects are placed on top. I think the Vivec canton floor brown tiles would work quite well? Would help make the overall thing less starkly black and white, too. Other textures might be better.
That is a vanilla texture, so do not worry :).
Notably, the 'archway' of the bridge piece, and the 'spiky pillar caps' on the guard towers
Done, see below.

The Guard tower is far from finished. Just deleted the whole thing since it was a bad piece. Will maybe try again at a later date.
This is also very noticable on the triangular windows, in my opinion. Just flattening the corners a touch might be good. In the guard tower, I would actually not use triangles at all but just tall narrow rectangles with rounded corners (a separate 'object' rather than holes in the wall, too). Some variant non-triangle windows like that for regular buildings too could also be cool. Could just retex some existing vanilla Hlaalu ones.
Say no to retextured Hlaalu. I kept it close to a concept art piece for the windows. But it does look a bit sharp. Going to make some variations and see how that goes.

Began working on the set again. Here is a new version of the file with updated overpasses, adjusted some triangles and made it less pointy in the middle. There is a long and short variation now.

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/morrowindgek/TamrielRebuilt/drestestoverpassv2.png[/img]
Last edited by Mwgek on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Mwgek--
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

These look really good, just had a look at the esp.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

Can we rename Mwgek to The Hope of Dres?
I'm really glad you've stuck to style of the earlier models I did. You've done an excellent job with them. I have some more concepts for doorways with an inbuilt tunnelled walkway/ramp that leads up from ground level to the second floor. I'll clean them up and post them here for you soon, along with any other models I can find that may be useful.

I can sort out some alpha mapped decals to add around the doorways and windows and such when the set is done. Smaller things that I can get done quickly. I can help out with textures too, on the doors and adding grime and such (I did a door in one of the previously posted concepts if you want a reference for it).
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Glad to see you back here Nalin. Would love to see the conept art you're talking about. Currently making some walls to go along with this stuff.

As for the door texture, I noticed it on your earlier artwork. Could you supply the texture for that piece? If not I can plunge myself into photoshop. But that part of modelling is not one of my best parts. Got any tips on making the textures? Since yours look very nice.
--Mwgek--
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I was wondering if we could get some dome pieces? The concept art had some. Looking really amazing so far! :)
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

The council house building and some of the cantons had a dome in Turelio's artwork. But that was about it. I think Warder made the council house building, but never finished texturing it. Where do you want domes on? :).
--Mwgek--
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Are the Dres pylons being worked on by someone else? Or not at all at the moment? I hope they're not forgotten.
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

As promised I've attached all things Dres that I can find. I'm quite sure I already uploaded this somewhere but for Mwgek's sake I'm putting it all here. I'll post any further concept art here too. Hopefully having it all posted in the same thread will make it easier to get finished and to follow the progress on it.

[url=http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/828/dresdoor.jpg][img]http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/828/dresdoor.th.jpg[/img][/url]
The Texture on this door was added in photoshop but once a door mesh is ready if you put a placeholder on it then I'll retexture it.

[url=http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/6251/dreswindow.jpg][img]http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/6251/dreswindow.th.jpg[/img][/url]
This window is from cire's initial stuff. I just UV mapped it today. It's included.

I'll dig up the concepts I did (they're on paper) and post them when I've cleaned them up.

These are adjusted versions of an earlier atmospheric piece. Lightened so the decals are more visible. did another lamp variant - not happy with either of them yet.
[url=http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8219/dresatmosnight1.jpg][img]http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8219/dresatmosnight1.th.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2995/dresatmosnight2.jpg][img]http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2995/dresatmosnight2.th.jpg[/img][/url]
Attachments
Architecture.7z
(8.99 MiB) Downloaded 71 times
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Thanks again, that is great help. I'll go ahead and include your stuff in NIF fromat in my next upload. Really like the lantern. I've also made some progress here. I made a few variations of my window. But maybe you like Nalin's more and then i'll merge in that 1.

After this I will upload a uv-map of the door (prop 256-512) for you to decorate. Nice screens :)

Here is a screen of what I was upto so far. Uvmapping needs to be adjusted a little bit to match the building. And i will be making a few variations. Should I make 1 like the Hlaalu where there fits a door under it?

[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/dresbalconytest.png/][img]http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8608/dresbalconytest.th.png[/img][/url]
--Mwgek--
SamirA
Developer Emeritus

Post by SamirA »

I like those new windows that are on the lower level.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Nalin wrote:These are adjusted versions of an earlier atmospheric piece. Lightened so the decals are more visible. did another lamp variant - not happy with either of them yet.
[url=http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8219/dresatmosnight1.jpg][img]http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8219/dresatmosnight1.th.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2995/dresatmosnight2.jpg][img]http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2995/dresatmosnight2.th.jpg[/img][/url]
They look good but I think they are maybe slightly too Halloween-ish. I dunno, I'm not really one that should comment on artistic stuff.
Mwgek wrote:Should I make 1 like the Hlaalu where there fits a door under it?
Of course. :D The more a modder can do with the set naturally, the better it is and the better the cities made with it will become.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Your new windows really nail it, Gek. Perfect.

Stairs also are great (although are the individual steps all on an upwards slant?)

Having checked out the .esp I still think at some point a browner, or greyer, rather than blacker rooftop texture might potentially look better - but having looked at the canton tile texture I suggested earlier, that doesn't really work.

Only other thing I'd note is that on the bridge piece, it should probably be altered somewhat to include a few steps at either end, so that it does not collide with the railing on the buildings its connecting, but rather neatly slots above them. (or include such mini-steps as a separate piece)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

I couldn't help painting over that last screen. Nice work Mwgek.

[url=http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/4701/dressmallmanor.jpg][img]http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/4701/dressmallmanor.th.jpg[/img][/url]

I feel like we're in danger of losing some of the unique elements from the set so I tried to focus on some of the design points that sets this apart from the other stuff.
It's only my opinion but I think adding the straight drop-down bit under the doorway (regardless of how it will be mostly sunk into the ground) takes the sharpness off it and makes it look more like what we've already seen. I had this idea of the doorways digging into the ground or coming up out of it at that angle. The band around bottom of the doorway makes it look more like an extension of the wall rather than a distinct part - it all blends in too much and gets a little lost. We shouldn't go too brown either.
Really like the lantern
Yeah, it's kind of Victorian looking though. It needs a redesign really, has some alpha mapping issues too. The glow-worm in a lamp idea is something that has to be done though - especially if we can make it wiggle.
Should I make 1 like the Hlaalu where there fits a door under it?

Of course. Very Happy The more a modder can do with the set naturally, the better it is and the better the cities made with it will become.
Again, design matters. Would be nice to see how it'll look and work with the set before modelling it.

Edit: Couldn't find the sketches so I mocked this up instead - was the same idea
[url=http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6842/dresupper.jpg][img]http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6842/dresupper.th.jpg[/img][/url]
The idea was having these taller steeper entrances for the wealthier manors. Set high above and withdrawing from the street level. A lamp is hung inside the tunnel bit before the door. Blue/green lighting from the windows and larva-lamps and orange/red lighting from torches will complement each other perfectly.
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Thanks for the feedback, that picture is really helpful. Busy adjusting stuff to match the concept. But with the stair, would you prefer a single slope or more sloped steps?

And yes the glow larva in the lamp looks awesome, the lamp itself could be more dunmerish.

Ow and i'm not really sure about that sloped door you demonstrate there. It looks... like a door for giants.
--Mwgek--