Map 2 NPC Claim #8 [arvisrend]

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

enjoy!
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Glanced this over a bit, this still has a ton of m3 entries that need to become m2. Also while you're at it, I'd love it if you could take a look at Hlersis, Ayemar and Erethan - I'm under the impression that these have a ton of unique dialog, but very few guiding topics. I'd much rather see things like more generic "someone in particular" and other such topics than the very situational and specific entries that are so abundant. They're meant to guide the player rather than to flesh out the NPCs.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Haplo Edit: This post is no longer accurate. Please see my post two posts down for the beginning of what I'm sure will be a(n updated) discussion.

Adan, TF, Cat and me agreed that the Dragon's Nest Inn is stupid and should be removed. The easiest solution is just to remove it from the tree it's sitting in, and downsize the tree a bit, back to normal proportions. Could you take care of that, TG?
Scamp
Reviewer

Post by Scamp »

Don't forget to remove the interior, too.
"Scamp you are the wonderboy" - Praedator

[url=http://scamp.blogspot.com/][img]http://i.imgur.com/Ea8ABeM.png[/img][/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Do not remove the inn. The solution we agreed upon several months ago that, apparently, everyone chose to forget/ignore, wtf? was that we would put it on the ground, rename it the Inn Between, and rework the ridiculous paths along the cliffs nearby so that they made more sense and would be closer to ground level instead of a bunch of rope bridges everywhere.
Last edited by Haplo on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

but then it is a pointless common inn in the middle of nowhere with a strange interior layout miles from any actual imperial holding
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

It's ideally located near a wilderness area and a major ruin for adventurers and a good half-way point for tourists, that's not really strange at all.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Come on Haplo, the inn is a moddy, sub-par, oversized thing that serves no purpose. The only nearby point of interest is Dun Akafell a few cells north - not a place that attracts enough tourists to sustain an inn this size. The only town nearby is Akamora, and even that is quite far away, moreover, its residents probably won't be waiting in line to visit this inn anyway, being Indoril and having way more conveniently located services in their own town. It isn't in-between anything, it's in the middle of nowhere. Lowering it to the ground would take much more effort than just removing it, unjustifiable effort given the quality and absurd location of the thing. And then there's how it actually looks - even if it is lowered to the ground, it is an absurd collection of common buildings mashed together to create the most ridiculous building in all of our files. Normally you're the first to torch these things. What makes you so inclined to keep it?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Sorry, I should have been a little more detailed. By move it to the ground, I meant that it would exist on the ground in it's new state, which I had assumed would mean a re-do of the interior with a non-tree-based exterior to boot... I agree that simply moving the hobbled-together structure from the tree straight to the ground without redoing it would look really moddy.

As for it's location, that's kind of the point, isn't it? By being in the middle of nowhere... it's on the way to everything else. Travelers who don't want to travel through the night can stop at an inn along the way, that's why inns exist. The primary area of interest that draws many of the Inn's customers, Dun Akafell, is nearby, yes. And like I mentioned before, there's wilderness to explore for the more faint-of-heart.

I am more attached to this than other things of TR's past because I have invested more time in this than other things to make sure it *isn't* moddy... so I'm a little frustrated that those efforts seem to have been overlooked.

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Ok, I can live with a smaller inn that serves as a hub for Dun Akafell-related things. Haplo and I agreed on IRC just now that a new Indoril-style interior would be best, but it could be run by a foreign (read: non-Dunmer) owner, or something. I'd like that, tbh.

Edited a bit.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Do you want me to do that? I wouldn't recommend it...
Warning: may contain large amounts of sarcasm.

Myzel- We never actually see slaves working on Vvardenfell either. They're always just standing there. If you ask me they deserve a good whipping.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

there needs to be either a new int claim or a revoking of the old one. I'll leave that to cat though.
Reviewing Administrator

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

What about the exterior changes that need to be done? Who can do those?

Myzel- We never actually see slaves working on Vvardenfell either. They're always just standing there. If you ask me they deserve a good whipping.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

If you like I could do it. Would be just one cell, right?
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

While I sometimes express doubts about you Greatness, I'm fairly certain you can handle deleting a treehouse, downsizing a tree, and placing an indoril inn.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Thrignar Fraxix wrote:While I sometimes express doubts about you Greatness, I'm fairly certain you can handle deleting a treehouse, downsizing a tree, and placing an indoril inn.
Along with the requisite windows, door(s), containers/chairs/decorative and aesthetic additions to the building to make it look realistic.

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

How's this going, TG? Haven't heard from you in a while.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Here's a WIP so you can do some ext stuff. I've done done a few dungeons and some wilderness LCs as I've been really distracted recently. Could whoever does this stuff fix the Dragon Nest Inn and the path to it too. Seriously, I tried, but just rotating a rock makes me ill.

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

This needs the following alterations:

Dragon Nest Inn fixed like discussed above
Othrensis Fighters Guild and Mages Guild moved to Akamora

Is there an exterior modder who'd like to take this on?

edit: I'll mark this as unclaimed for the time being - TG, if you want to keep it, I'll stick your name back on it once the exterior modifications have been made!
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Done.
Guilds moved to Akamora, the interiors renamed and north markers corrected. Dragon's Nest Inn burnt to the ground (but int kept for fun) and replaced with indoril version. I cleaned the file as far as I think my alterations were made.

Now get some assage moving on this one.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Will do.

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

The interiors for the FG and MG need to be remerged, they didn't carry over properly. Also we need a rock of some sorts to be plugged into the gap behind the MG, should be easy.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Also just so that it is said; this is super high priority and stuff. Like work on it every day, priority.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Haplo wrote:Also just so that it is said; this is super high priority and stuff. Like work on it every day, priority.
No, really. See here for clarification if it is needed:
http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=302366#302366

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Imma annoy you every time you log onto Steam and play stuff :slavedriver:

jk, a little...
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Hey. If you don't have time/motivation to work on this, TG, I can pick it up for a little bit (read: Until Battlefield 3)? If so, a newer WIP would be appreciated (if it exists).
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Interior Reviews: 168
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Yes please Stryker. I've been really shit with this claim and I have no motivation to work on this stupid bloody thing. I hope you have more luck than me. Here's the WIP. I was working on dungeons and exterior pathgrids last (there are loads of stupid mountain paths).

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Stryker wrote:(read: Until Battlefield 3)?
Finish it before BF3 and I'll fucking gift the game to you. Thanks for picking this one up...
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Revoked by request.

TG, are you still around, and want to take a shot at this again? If not, this is open to anyone.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

I might be able to get some work done on this, seeing as how my other NPC claim isn't high priority.

Claiming
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Grant yeah!
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

I have two questions.

1. Is Akamora's ruler (Novas Senim) an Indoril councilor? If he is, does he already have plan of what his personality should be?

2. What exactly is the story behind Dun Akafell? I read somewhere in this thread that a Dragon friend of Almalexia used to live there but I don't have a clear idea of the place’s history. Also what type of enemies should be placed there?
Last edited by Yeti on Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Yeti wrote:I have a two questions.2. What exactly is the story behind Dun Akafell? I read somewhere in this thread that a Dragon friend of Almalexia used to live there but I don't have a clear idea of the place’s history. Also what type of enemies should be placed there?
Nope, there wasn't a dragon friend. That idea was not intelligent. Unless of course the dragon was only a friend, in which case it's fine.

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

@Haplo

so this:
Sload wrote:Dun Akafell is different now. The as-yet unamed dragon lover of Almalexia who held Morrowind in place with time broke used to live there
is no longer accurate, but it's still okay to have a dragon as part of Dun Akafell's back-story?

I have another question:

3. Can anyone tell me what the purpose of the "Mining Headquarters" in Akamora is? Currently there are a bunch of random nobles hanging out there but its function isn't very clear to me.

I kind of have the idea that the place is where representatives of each of Akamora's individually owned egg mines sort out disagreements and try to cooperate on things, but I want to know if the place had a different purpose planned.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Correct. The lover idea was just stupid. As for question #3, I don't know of any previous purpose (Why may know more), but your proposal sounds good.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Also,
Yeti wrote:1. Is Akamora's ruler (Novas Senim) an Indoril councilor? If he is, does he already have plan of what his personality should be?
No. The families in Akamora are all vying for the position of councilor, but none of them can hold onto any lasting advantage long enough to call themselves councilor.

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Update

Akamora's NPCs and dialogue are pretty much done, though I'll likely be making further tweaks and additions.

Some Questions:

1. Did the fixed version of Tomaril manor's interior ever get merged?

2. Concerning Tomaril manor, is there already a plan for who lives there or am I free to make something up that sounds reasonable?

3. Approximately how many quests does this file require and where should they be located.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

I've answered question #1 by myself but I still would like some clarification on #2 and #3.

If nothing concrete has been decided on for the Tomaril guy, I would like to adapt one of Immortal_pigs ideas from earlier in the thread and make him a former Indoril Councilor from Akamora. He grew tired of House politics and built Tomaril manor using his wealth from being the former owner of Akamora's egg mines. He sold them all before leaving Akamora, each one to a different noble family because he didn't want to give anyone complete control over the city.

Progress Report:

Tomaril manor is fully NPCed (I can modify what I've done if my above discription for the owner is no good) and I am preparing to start the dialogue process. I'm also currently going through all the exterior cells adding leveled creatures where they are needed.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

The file should already have quests in it, could you check for anything that might look like a quest? The area around Dun Akafell and the inn needs at least one quest, if there isn't one there already.

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

After thoroughly looking through this file, I can say with %100 certainty that this file does not have any quests.

Anyway I think a reasonable plan for quests for this claim should be:

1 quest for Ayemar

1 quest that involves both Erethan plantation and Hleris (since both are owned by the same guy)

2-3 quests for Akamora

1 quest that involves Dun Akafell and The Inn Between

I have ideas for several of these already and will post plans once I've worked out all the details. I might be able to combine one of the Akamora quests with the Dun Akafell-Inn quest.

Also, can I go ahead with my description of the Tomaril guy?