Morag Tong

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

theviking
Developer Emeritus

Morag Tong

Post by theviking »

There is a Morag Tong training camp in Verulas Pass that I NPC'd and I got a couple of ideas for it recently. I managed to combine these ideas in what I think would be a nice questline. They are basically testing quests to test if you are a good Morag Tong member and a master test at the end. Some of the pieces of text are turned red, I don't have any ideas for those and it would be nice if someone have any ideas to fill them in. Well, here goes:
Attachments
The Morag Tong.doc
(33 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Wow these are great ideas here, you've had some really good thought into this! Its like your birthday gift, but to us. :]

Maybe for the Mage test you need to heal the target npc, or enchant them some sort of item to give for them to equip before you can challenge them to a honourable duel?

Also some of these might be fairly hard to script but im sure they're all doable. Although I admit, I dont think Ive ever tried to script a door that cant be open by magic :S, then again there was a script in Bloodmoon that meant you couldnt pick the lock, so I dont see why it couldnt be possible :P
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

What about helping a client stage her own phony death. She needs to be killed with a particular spell (custom made for the head of the Mages Guild of Morrowind) in order to place the blame of her supposed death onto the Imperial Guild of Mages.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

i dont think im in favor, marog tong does not give tests
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

There are a number of issues I have with the ideas. I shall list them here, in no particular order.
  • It makes little sense to make one of the NPCs a 'priest of Mephala'. The Morag Tong are, by definition, all devout followers of Mephala. There could of course be one who tends to the shrine and such, but coincidentally also making her the magic trainer sounds like RPG personality logic.
  • The same goes for the Bosmer who you can just know beforehand must be the guy with the bow.
  • I have a slight uneasiness at an Orc in the Morag Tong. It is not entirely impossible, but it would have to be pulled off extremely well, or not at all. Even more so to not evoke any memory of that cardboard-brain Orc assassin in Oblivion.
  • The riddle used to describe the location of the camp is rather cliched. It only rhymes rather shoddily and in the end it would be rather odd if a secret organisation such as the Morag Tong refuses to accept applicants other than those that manage to find the headmaster, but at the same time recite a happy-go-lucky riddle about where to find him.
  • The sparring test seems rather un-Morag Tong. The Tong does not care much for the chivalric honor of killing someone. Their idea of honour is that if someone is marked for assassination, the person in question is killed fast, clean and without too much fuss. They have absolutely no problem with backstabbing.
  • The security test could be pulled off with a Mephala-blessed artifact or something. However, we should make sure that the test does not involve to many keys and locks, which is Nocturnal's terrain and therefore the Thieves Guild's. I will talk about this more later, but I am short on time now.
  • The marksman test is difficult to code. Things don't run until they see you, and it is really easy to sneak up on them before that. All in all, it also lacks a little Morag Tong-flavour.
  • For the master test, see what I wrote above on Morag Tong 'honour'.

To make a long story short, I think it basically boils down to what Sload said above: the Morag Tong isn't the sort of people to give test. You'll notice that in my suggestions above, I mostly tried to make the quests more of an initiation into the mysteries and mentality of the Tong, than actual quests.[/img][/list]
wintermute213

Post by wintermute213 »

Adanorcil wrote:[*]I have a slight uneasiness at an Orc in the Morag Tong. It is not entirely impossible, but it would have to be pulled off extremely well, or not at all. Even more so to not evoke any memory of that cardboard-brain Orc assassin in Oblivion.
There's an orc MT member who hangs around in the Vivec guildhall in vanilla Morrowind. There's at least a couple of others around too.
Adanorcil wrote:[*]The riddle used to describe the location of the camp is rather cliched. It only rhymes rather shoddily and in the end it would be rather odd if a secret organisation such as the Morag Tong refuses to accept applicants other than those that manage to find the headmaster, but at the same time recite a happy-go-lucky riddle about where to find him.
Yeah, the riddle isn't so great. And I don't think they'd hang around in a tavern like the Thieves Guild. Maybe come up with something more challenging that you have to think about. Maybe refer to some legend which is connected with some Dunmer family, and their ancestral tomb is where the master is.

As has been said, training missions would be hard to pull off right. But I think it's something to aim for, what else would they do at a training camp? I thought maybe they could stage mock assassinations with the instructors posing as the guards and target. They could have a prop house/tower set up that you would have to sneak into without being detected and "kill" the target with a fake weapon.
Night0205

Post by Night0205 »

Orcs in MT? Just because a race may not be on the bright side, doesn't mean that people from that race can't be extremely intelligent, or that they aren't able to join the MT. There are many Orcs that are competent for being MT or any other group of intelligence.

And I really look forward to Morag Tong quests and gameplay in Tamriel Rebuilt!!!
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Bump. Other than the chivalric fights there don't seem as many breaking points with these quests, just points to improve. Can anyone give me an idea for a magic quest and/or a sparring quest within this training base?
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
Tyrant
Developer

Post by Tyrant »

If this is still required, I still have an idea for a MT test/initiation quest.

1. The player would be assigned a partner to go out and embark on their first assasination. The player would be given a writ, and then sent to a specific drop location to pick up further instructions. Upon reading the instructions placed in the drop box, the player will learn that the original writ was a lie. Enclosed is a new writ, issued for the companion the player was sent with, along with a note explaining that he did not meet MT requirements, and must be killed. Upon returning to MT hq, the player will then be made a member.

Please offer any thoughts. Thanks
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shackled, we are bound
Freedom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned
Tyrant
Developer

Post by Tyrant »

Furthermore, I would imagine a bit of a lengthy trek with this companion, who I imagine as a human female, with lots of dialogue to really try and bring the character to life. At parts the NPC will even help the player, give you health potions or some such. I would like the player to really start to like, or at least get to know this character... before being forced to kill her.
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shackled, we are bound
Freedom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Re: .

Post by arvisrend »

Drops? I think the Morrowind Morag Tong is WAY too legal and accepted to have to resort to such methods.
Tyrant
Developer

Re: .

Post by Tyrant »

arvisrend wrote:Drops? I think the Morrowind Morag Tong is WAY too legal and accepted to have to resort to such methods.
The only one meant to be deceived here by this is your partner. And the purpose of the drop box is simply part of the test. I really can't see the legality of the MT taking something away from anyone's enjoyment of this quest. But regardless, thanks for your input
TheUnending
Developer

Post by TheUnending »

I'd have to agree that the drop box serves a purpose in several ways. One way is that it'd be stupid for them to right away hand you a writ on your partner since a person disappearing after visiting the Morag Tong would probably not draw good attention to the Morag Tong and also they wanted to test you and make sure you could follow orders without someone having to tell you to do it.

Also the Morag Tong likes private executions so they probably made you take him out into the boondocks so it'd be a private assassination.
"*Sips Coffee*"

"The only sure way of taking over the world without your plans being ruined at the eleventh hour by some nosy kid... steal everyone's shoes..."
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

TheUnending wrote:Also the Morag Tong likes private executions
which is why they give you a piece of paper to hand to the guards that clears your fine and no extra bonus for being undetected. Yup, really subtle there.

This is not the sort of thing the morag tong would do. They are about business and ceremony.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

It's all a bit Dark Brotherhood. The Morag Tong don't mess with the heads of their membership like that because they don't see themselves as an evil organisation at all. They're another branch of law enforcement, almost.
TheUnending
Developer

Post by TheUnending »

I still think that the Morag Tong would want to test you and make sure you could follow orders when on your own. In vanilla Morrowind they tested you by having you go execute a writ, but of course Mainland and Vvardenfell can be different in many ways so they wouldn't be exactly the same in how they test new members.
"*Sips Coffee*"

"The only sure way of taking over the world without your plans being ruined at the eleventh hour by some nosy kid... steal everyone's shoes..."
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

In any event, if you have quest planning energies to spend, use them on M2A8, which actually needs quests. :P Factions are a long way off.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"