Imperial legion and Rathra's quest lines

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

theviking
Developer Emeritus

Imperial legion and Rathra's quest

Post by theviking »

I had a brilliant idea earlier today; since the mainquest of map1 isn't going to be made anymore, why not break the questline in two managageable questlines: One for the imperial legion and one for the master quests of Rathra... The masters quest for Rathra are almmost done as you can see. The only thing missing are rewards for the quests.

The imperial legion questline is more sketchy, but the later three quests of the line involve the creation of a new fort (i1-61), the Balachen fort. It shouldn't be too hard to finish the design of this questline.

Here they are:
Attachments
Rathra's master quest.doc
(20 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Imperial legion.doc
(14 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

There is already far too much imperial influence in telvannis, where there really shouldn't be much at all, so the imperial line doesn't work.

The Telvanni line reeks of old TR and doesn't fit with the direction the Telvanni is going to be taken when we finally begin working on their quest line again.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

How do you know what direction we will go when, by your own words, we haven't even started working on it yet? And I disagree; I think Imperial influence is balanced on Telvannis... they have Firewatch and it's hardly worth mentioning Bal Oyra. The fact that the Imperials have any power at all is the driving force behind half of the Telvanni motives and quest opportunities.

theviking: I like the idea, but I think any proposed plan for a new fort should be thwarted regardless of the player's actions. Any more settlements or power would tip the balance too far in the Imperial's favor when they are focusing on holding onto what they've got while the crisis in Cyrodiil is going on.

As for the Telvanni side, those sound like good quest ideas, although personally I would like to see more detail and depth from the perspective of "what does Rathra want, and how is she using the player to get it, in order to further her personal interests". This does a good job of being pro-Telvanni, but not very specifically pro-Rathra.

Perhaps if there were some personal thing Rathra gets that reveals some kind of betrayal on the player's behalf so that he/she realizes they had been played by Rathra?
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Thrignar Fraxix wrote:The Telvanni line reeks of old TR and doesn't fit with the direction the Telvanni is going to be taken when we finally begin working on their quest line again.
There has been work done since we shifted the focus.
Reviewing Administrator

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

That word does not change anything.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

I've been playing the Morrowind quests again and i must say that most of the faction quests are less elaborate than what we produce. That means that we are producing top notch quests and the difficulty/ingenuity/elaboration of or questlines is a big reason why there aren't as many questers as interior makers.

So, I tried to make the questlines doable, as compared to the gargantuan effort needed to create the former main quest. Rathra's questline is a simple anti-imperial questline and it end with a Telvanni-style decoration of a fort in Firewatch itself. Rathra=anti-imperialism sounds like a big enough idea for a questline. When compared to the Vvardenfell Telvanni Councillors, there back story wasn't elaborated as well. Therana=crazy, Neloth=cocky, Gothren=paranoid, Dratha=hates men, Aryon=modern.

Second, the imperial legion questline. Would any player seriously consider that building this fort might considerably lower the Telvanni influence? No. When the fort is completed the lands stay Telvanni. You are worrying way too much about this. It would be a serious waste of modding if the fort was never used.
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

theviking wrote:Would any player seriously consider that building this fort might considerably lower the Telvanni influence? No. When the fort is completed the lands stay Telvanni. You are worrying way too much about this. It would be a serious waste of modding if the fort was never used.
Thanks for answering your own question; we can throw that opinion out now. Anyway, the real issue is not so much decreasing Telvanni influence in the area as it is increasing the Imperial influence, which is unfeasible given the reasons I outlined in my post above.

Secondly, are you telling me this fort already exists in the mod as a completed exterior creation/interior claim? Because my interpretation was that you were suggesting a new keep be built, but the fact that you're referring to it as a waste makes me think otherwise.

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=195304

i1-61, the claim he mentioned.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

I remember the discussion that perhaps the old TR policy of not interfering with vanilla Morrowind should be abandoned and factions TR_Telvanni and Telvanni merged and accordingly the whole Telvanni faction redesigned to provide meaningful and uniform experience of the house.
IMHO grand house questlines and other quests with political background and consequences should be considered only after the whole of Morrowind is finished, and local quests and lore implemented.
This is the only way to make them fit into the world, which has been already designed and not create any conflicts.
Before doing this, I think some of the map 1 quests should be revisited then, because some of them still do not make sense and some even do not work properly. After a release of full Telvanni + Antediluvian secret with 100 percent working local, misc and minor guild quests is out there, it makes sense to think how to enhance it with some overarching quests (remaking Vvardenfell too).
THEO
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Theo wrote:I remember the discussion that perhaps the old TR policy of not interfering with vanilla Morrowind should be abandoned and factions TR_Telvanni and Telvanni merged and accordingly the whole Telvanni faction redesigned to provide meaningful and uniform experience of the house.
IMHO grand house questlines and other quests with political background and consequences should be considered only after the whole of Morrowind is finished, and local quests and lore implemented.
This is the only way to make them fit into the world, which has been already designed and not create any conflicts.
Before doing this, I think some of the map 1 quests should be revisited then, because some of them still do not make sense and some even do not work properly. After a release of full Telvanni + Antediluvian secret with 100 percent working local, misc and minor guild quests is out there, it makes sense to think how to enhance it with some overarching quests (remaking Vvardenfell too).
I think we need to discuss that a bit more in private before we determine our public course of action, for quality's and solidarity's sake.