pROvAK's Showcase-Literature

In order to implement content in-game, you must be a Developer. This is the place for you to introduce yourself, and apply to become a TR Developer.

Moderator: Lead Developers

provak_64

Post by provak_64 »

Eyes Of The Blight
By Jam'al Zea

3E 427 Was a time of fear for the province of Morrowind, as the Blight Curse had claimed thousands of lives, and many more hopelessly lost within the Ash Storms eminating from Red Mountain. I was one, claimed by the Blight Curse, But have lived to tell the Tale. I was a traveler, an adventurer of sort, and was told of a ruin, buried deep within the Ashlands Of Vvardenfell. I was informed of a Place called "Bthuand", and my curiosity gave in, even though my mind was desperatly trying to hold back. I had known the dangers of this journey, even before I had embarked on my quest. I had headed out early in the morning, trying to rise before the Cliffracers awoke. I left from Ald'ruhn, and had just moved past Ghostgate when the sickness swept over me. I rested for more than a few hours, but was blinded by the treasures I thought awaited me. The Ashstorms raged on, and I rose, and continued, for I had not known the Illness that had claimed me. After many days of travel, I finnaly arrived at Bthuand, only to be met by other scavengers. As they laid there eyes upon me, their eyes filled with terror, as they had seen the affliction that had enveloped me. The Very skin on my bones was rotted, and contained a turquoise-grey hue, Similar to that of the Dunmer. It was at that moment something changed in my mind, and I had a will, a will to slaughter anything I could see. I approached the one of the Bretons standing by their Guar Cart, but he saw the murder in my eyes. He drew his sword, but I had already grabbed his arm. Unexpectedly, the second Breton came from behind me, or the creature that was me. He swung his club down on my head, with such brutal force that I did not awake for many moons. I awoke, In a small room, with nothing but some shelves and a large chest, which contained my clothing. I stepped outside of the room, and I was greeted by a priest, who informed me that a man had dropped Me at the Door, hands and feet bound. This man had cured me, saved Me from the affliction of Ash-Woe Blight. I was never the same though, as the mind and flesh can never be fully restored from this curse. I then returned to Ald'Ruhn, gathered my things, and I then Built a Shack, hidden within the Grazelands, and spend my days traveling and praying at different wayshrines across Vvardenfell, as a monk, In service to the Gods of Morrowind, as they have spared my soul.

May Azura Bless The Readers Of This Tale
Last edited by provak_64 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Viva the Modders!
wollibeebee
Developer

Post by wollibeebee »

ok.

first, to me, it doesn't make much sense for their to be a book made in 3E 427, seeing as that's the year the game starts, and it would of taken a while for a book to become distributed - specially as (unless by magic) the books are all hand written. Although i do like how it's about current events.

i like how you mentioned an actually place in Vvardenfell, immersive :D

before the cliffraces awake.. god, how i want their to be day and night creatures. :D

this line:
"came from behind me, or What was left of me."
This made me think that he was limbless and that his brains were popping out - he was beyond curable. I'd write it like... "or atleast that creature that once was me" i'm not sure, i just don't like that line.

i like the ending though, and the story was more interesting that most Vanilla books :P

sadly, i'm not a reviewer for these kind of things, but that's my 2 cents.
Shask

Post by Shask »

How is this for editing? I usually wouldn't take it so far, but I, personally, found Provak's story so interesting that I couldn't quite help myself.

Eyes of the Blight
By Jam'al Zea (of what race is this fellow? perhaps just the author, and the character in the story is fictional?)

The year 3E 427 (?) was a time of fear for the province of Morrowind. As an outbreak of Blight Curse claimed thousands of lives, many more were hopelessly lost within the Ash Storms emanating from Red Mountain. I was one, claimed by the Blight Curse, but I have lived to tell the tale. I was a traveler, an adventurer of sorts, and told of a ruin, buried deep within the Ashlands of Vvardenfell; I was informed of a place called "Bthuand.â€Â￾ Even though the better part of my conscious tried desperately to withhold my temptation, my curiosity gave in. I had known of the dangers this journey might present to me. Nevertheless, I embarked on my quest early in the morning when the cliffracers still slumbered. I departed from Ald'ruhn and, after some time, had just traveled past Ghostgate when the accursed sickness swept over me. I rested within the vicinity of the gate, my body seemingly more weary and fickle than I thought it should be. Yet I lingered for no more than a few hours, before the maddening temptation had come racing back to me. My judgment remained completely blind, as if it were trying to make its way through the bellowing ash, and the thoughts of treasure continued to torment me, amplified by the worsening blight. The ashstorms raged on, and I rose and continued on, completely unaware of the truth of my ailment. After many soul-wearing days of travel, I finally arrived – nearly mindless with giddiness – at the ruins of Bthuand, only to be met by other scavengers. As they gazed upon me, their eyes filled with terror, as they saw the affliction that had enveloped me. The very skin on my bones was rotten and contained a turquoise-grey hue, similar to that of the Dunmer. At that moment, something within my mind snapped, and I had a will – a snarling, fetid will to slaughter anything I could see. I lumbered towards one of the Bretons standing by their guar cart, and he saw the murder in my eyes. He drew his sword, but I had already grabbed his arm. Unexpectedly, the second Breton came from behind me – or the creature I thought was me. He swung his club down on my head, with such brutal force, that I was rendered unconscious for many moons. I awoke in a small room adorned with nothing but some shelves and a large chest, which contained my gear. I clothed myself and stepped outside the door, and I was greeted by a priest. He informed me that a man had dropped me off at the door hand- and foot-bound. The priest had graciously taken me in and cured me, saving me from the affliction of Ash-Woe Blight. I never will be the same, however, as the mind and flesh can never be fully restored from that curse. After bidding my farewells and thanking the priest, I returned to Ald'ruhn and gathered my things. Hidden within the tall grasses, I built a shack in the Grazelands. As a monk, I now spend my days traveling and praying at different wayshrines across Vvardenfell, in service to the Gods of Morrowind that have spared my soul – and out of the aspiration that I may save a Blight-stricken soul myself.

May Azura Bless the Readers of this Tale
provak_64

Post by provak_64 »

The Author's Race is Kahjiit, and about the date, I don't know, I messed up there. And Nice job fixing it up!
Viva the Modders!
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

Oh, I see someone finally posted a book for me to look at!

Your writing style is very forward. There weren't any major issues and you at least ran it through a spell-checker first. The only thing that I saw grammar-wise was that you'd Randomly insert Capital letters on Letters that didn't need to be capitalized.

Sadly, I don't think we'd accept Oscar Wilde himself to the project based on writing merit alone. If you're interested, why don't you pick up a copy of the CS and churn out a quest? It's really simple for Morrowind and it will still let you use your writing skills for the betterment of the project. Plus, we'd promote you as soon as the quest was up to our standards. You would learn something in the process, presuming you don't already know how to make a quest, and then you'd be doing TR a real service. We have pretty much always been in dire need of questers.

If you need more detail on our rules and whatnot for writers, read the links in my signature.

Welcome to TR!
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
provak_64

pROvAK's Showcase

Post by provak_64 »

Sadly, I don't know how to quest, but I will gladly pick up a tutorial and learn. Thanks for the heads up.