Okraina's Interior Showcase

In order to implement content in-game, you must be a Developer. This is the place for you to introduce yourself, and apply to become a TR Developer.

Moderator: Lead Developers

okraina

Okraina's Interior Showcase

Post by okraina »

Hi there! This is my interior showcase! Its 2 Rooms and a corridor going through them. The style is Velothi.

Cleaned with TESAME. Cell name is "Test Room". Lighting values I used correspond with lighting values from Vivec, Jobasha's Book store respectively to make the lighting match with the velothi interior. I made sure to place a north-marker as well as check off the "It's illegal to sleep here" box.

Please tell me what you think!!

Edit: I also made sure to use de_p Items as well!
Attachments
Okraina's Test Interior.ESP
the cell name is "Test Room"!
(10.35 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Last edited by okraina on Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Welcome to TR, I've got class in 10 minutes so I can't review this file right now, but rest assured someone will be along to review it in the next day or two. (if for some reason we fail to do this, don't take it personally and feel free to bump)

If you have any questions now or at any time, feel free to post them here. (alternatively, PM either myself or the head of the relevant department)
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Talias
Developer

Post by Talias »

I took a quick look.

The de_p furniture's surface is uneven, so all the clutter you place on it should be rotated to match the surface.

You should be also careful with placing stuff halfway on rugs, because it will either bleed or float if not rotated.

The skooma is illegal so I think it should be placed more out of sight.

And finally the little alchemy lab has some rare and hard to get ingredients, also it's too tidy for a skooma addict.
okraina

Post by okraina »

Hi there!

Thank you for your short response! I will proceed to fix the issues that you addressed. I have one question before I do so, What exactly do I have to do to fix the uneven surface issue on the de_p furniture? I just rotate the item a bit and press "f"? Will this work also with items that are placed on rugs as well?

If you wish to, I can make another test interior to show my improvement, as I read here in a thread that it is hard to learn by fixing every tiny mistake you make in one interior, rather it is more productive to make another and learn from those mistakes. As well as I would certainly enjoy making another test interior for you guys!

Cheers,

Okraina
Talias
Developer

Post by Talias »

About the uneven surfaces - yes, you got the right idea, simply rotate a bit and press "f", sometimes it's easier to doubleclick on object and change the rotation values there. As for rug the best thing to do is to either place it fully on rug or not on rug at all.

If you fish to make a new interior you are free to do so, by rules one interior can have three real reviews, and then you must make something else.

EDIT. Previously I forgot to point out one more thing - pillows (also sacks and few other items with pointy bottoms) should bleed a little.
okraina

Okraina's Interior Showcase -Revisited-

Post by okraina »

Hi there,

First of all I would like to thank Talias for helping me identify the bugs in my previous interior showcase. You were the only person that reviewed my showcase and it definitely helped!! I hope you will find a time to look at this one as well and see by how much my interior design abilities have improved!!)))

Second of all, here is my brand new interior showcase! It is similar in that it is also in Velothi style (I read somewhere that TR interior showcases are preferred in Velothi style xD). It is supposed to be depicting a lower class bar with a hint of shady atmosphere on its lower level.

The cell name is "Velothi interior showcase". Cleaned with TESAME. I made sure to check off the "It's illegal to sleep here" box, included a North Marker, matched the lighting values with some cell for a house in the Plaza of Vivec, St. Olms. I placed enough light for things to be clear but as well for it to be a bit more darker in my own opinion to represent a more shady atmosphere. I took Talias's advice and made sure to rotate all of my items placed on Dunnmer furniture as well!

Best Regards,

Okraina!! :D
Attachments
Okraina's Velothi Test Interior.ESP
The cell name for my showcase is "Velothi interior showcase"!!
(13.07 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Not an official review (I'm not an official reviewer), but some observations:

Some misc_de_bowl_redware_01's are standing on their pointy tips. I think they should rather bleed into the bookshelf. (Pointy tips are a case when bleeding is not only allowed but actually required.)

You chose to accomodate the misc_com_bottle_05's to the unevenness of the poor bookshelves by means of bleeding them into the shelf. This is not how things are done in TR; instead they should be rotated in X and Y directions by a few degrees.

misc_de_bowl_01 (on the bookshelf) floats.

One of the two furn_de_p_bookshelf_01's floats. So do two of the furn_de_p_bench_03's and two of the Furn_de_rug_big_01's. You seem to haven't noticed that the walls of Velothi interiors are rounded off at their lower ends, so if you put a bench or bookshelf close to a wall and F it once, its two front legs float.

ingred_muck_01 floats.

Does Morrowind have bars which aren't inns? Because this one has neither rooms nor beds, but I don't recall seeing that often in MW. Also, I am not seeing any shady atmosphere in the lower room; it just feels too barren (is it a dancefloor?).
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

One thread per person. Showcases merged.
le Rules wrote:Each person must create their own thread, and are only allowed one thread.
Don't worry about it, though. You really should read the stickies. :p

arvisrend: You don't have to be an official reviewer to give reviews in the Showcase. Actually, your attention to detail is quite good. You should take the test. It's the easiest thing ever. :)
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
okraina

Post by okraina »

ooo sorry! I actually read the sticky but forgot about that (((. Anyways so is my second interior not up to standards yet for TR? because I can do another one if you guys want.
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

I PM'd the head reviewer guy. He'll get on it, I hope. :)
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

arvis's review is a perfectly acceptable review. You don't have to be a reviewer to review a showcase, you just have to be a modder.
Reviewing Administrator

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
okraina

Post by okraina »

hi there!

id like to offer another interior showcase after couple months to give it another go.

tell me how it is, and if its better than the last two!
Attachments
Clean Okraina's Showcase.ESP
the cell name is "Okraina's Interior Showcase"
(13.72 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Scamp
Reviewer

Post by Scamp »

Anonymous wrote: You don't use Gridsnap, you do everything by hand which is a problem by itself. Gridsnap helps you to fit the tile sets nice to each other without caspering walls and such.
Keep in mind though that you should only use gridsnap for the interior shell and bar tiles.
Anonymous wrote: Further, your file should also be based on Bloodmoon, Tribunal and TR_Data.
Doesn't have to be dependent on TR_data, though it's a nice thing to do as it adds new items for more variety.
"Scamp you are the wonderboy" - Praedator

[url=http://scamp.blogspot.com/][img]http://i.imgur.com/Ea8ABeM.png[/img][/url]
okraina

Post by okraina »

the small room wasn't supposed to be part of the showcase. in fact its Vivec, St. Delyn South Three. I placed it there when I was working on the larger room to see how what type of furniture is placed in poor sytle rooms. I just forgot to remove it after finishing my room (the one with the two beds). I wouldn't try to mark it as mine as I just bare copy and pasted it just to have like a reference there... lol

thanks for the feedback on the big room though! il have another one up soon (hopefully this time I'll remove the reference material im using ahahha)

pce!

edit: yeah I just checked the St. Delyn South Three room and I found most of the errors you listed (floating etc.) in the game originally. so those were actually the dev's mistakes lol

still dosent help the fact that i rushed this fast enough to forget to clean up my workspace, but yeah :p
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

I can understand wanting to use another cell as a reference, but loading it up in your own space is not the way to go. That dirties the file, and while it can be fixed with TESAME, there is an easier way altogether.

If you go to your Morrowind folder, open up your morrowind.ini file in notepad, add "allowmultipleeditors=1" (without the quotations) anywhere under the [General] section and save it. Now you can open up multiple instances of the CS at once.

Now open up your own file, start working on it, and load up another instance of the CS and choose whatever cell you want. It's a lot easier this way, trust me. :)
Not another memory

...And so my bad karma gets worse
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

If only we could drag and drop data between CS instances... oh god how awesome that would be...
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
okraina

Post by okraina »

ook im gonna give this yet again another shot xD

this one is a bit more simple I think. Tell me what you think!
Attachments
Clean O.ESP
(4.41 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
okraina

Post by okraina »

Thank you! Can you please specify where Gridsnap was NOT used?
okraina

Post by okraina »

I swear I used gridsnap... It might have been accidental moving when placing static objects though, but thanks for highlighting it! I prolly wouldnt have spotted it otherwise
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

wait, since when do we require everything to be gridsnapped? Gridsnap is a useful tool, but if something looks good without it totally go for it. The skewed doorjamb to the bedroom looked rather interesting, I think. Nothing wrong with stuff like that. Unless it leaves holes in the walls, of course, but that can be alleviated without gridsnap.

edit: in my testing those architecture pieces seem snapped perfectly by the way. Leon, how did you test this, did you just select them and drag them a bit to see if they snapped back? In that case, set your gridsnap to 32. You'll see that it works fine. Different gridsnap settings result in different grids, and as long as architecture pieces are at non-decimal coordinates and the shell is snapped together properly, any gridsnap setting is fine. Standard is 64, but I myself use 32 because not everything snaps properly to 64. I've gone as low as 8 for some items, iirc.

As some general pointers for you, Okraina, go to file->preferences, and set your rotation, pan and zoom speeds to low values, something like 0.1 or 0.05. Then select each of the items you placed individually and pan around them to see if they float or bleed. It's the easiest way to spot errors. Think like a reviewer and you'll make error-free interiors!
SamirA
Developer Emeritus

Post by SamirA »

Why is correct, there is no issue with gridsnap in this interior. The use of doorframe is actually very good. This interior is far too small though. This will not give a good judgement on skill. Try going a little larger. The room itself looks good which tells me you have a good eye for the scene, but I need more to judge rotation and placement skill. Try for no less than 100 refs. You are currently sitting at 53 I believe.
And that's how you get to Llama School.
Lady_N: mountain dew tastes like yellow and pwning at d&d
okraina

Post by okraina »

hi there!

i fixed the errors and expanded it to look more like a warehouse of sorts.

when i was designing this i was thinking some storage facility where furniture and other stuff is stored, hence the random closets and desks. but its primary use is urn storage ahah. then what i had before can count as a small office type are and the sleeping quarters for the guard who lives there.
Attachments
Clean O.ESP
(9.96 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
okraina

Post by okraina »

*just gonna poke and bump this thread* :$
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Leon, please try to remain helpful in the showcase. Okraina I will review this when I wake up.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
okraina

Post by okraina »

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Please don't drag an drop an object and push "f", that is wrong, you really need to rotated the object itself to match the surface.
Wait, I don't do that? What I do now is I drag an object into the render window. Hover it above where I want it to land, and then rotate it a bit ways, and THEN push f. That's the impression I've been given as to what to do, am I mistaken? :S
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

It is most of the times more accurate to lower it with 'f' and then place it accurately with the 'z' , 'y' and 'x' keys. Then you don't have to guess on your rotation and rotate it on the surface where it needs to be placed.

Hope it makes sense :). Just place it at the right location and then do the rotation. Hope TF can help some more. Glad to see you are so dedicated to do this! We can use that.
--Mwgek--
okraina

Post by okraina »

Ohhhh ok. so i press f, THEN i like rotate it around? its just when I did that people said it caused things i placed on shelves (bottles i think) to "bleed" and thats not how to do it. the specific comment is somewhere above in this thread
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

First off, there are multiple ways to rotate objects to avoid bleeding. Find the one that works best for you and stick with it.

REVIEW:
This interior has far too many lights. Removing the sconces got it back down to a more appropriate level.
your lamps all bleed into the floor slightly
stylistically, sacks generally go on the bottom shelf as they tend to be heavier than the other things
None of the objects resting on the wavy de_p surfaces have been rotated to match.
de_p_desk_01 looks a bit barren. Please add a few items, and be sure to account for the surface.

You appear to be making a new file with each attempt, but you also appear to not be starting entirely from scratch, which kind of makes it hard to ensure you aren't working too long on the same file. For your next iteration, please make a 2 story hlaalu house, single cell with staircase. (still using de_p of course)
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
okraina

Post by okraina »

Ok sounds good! Can someone place tell me how to rotate objects to match surface, step by step? I keep trying as instructed but it still does not work out as its supposed to:(
adamantum
Developer

Post by adamantum »

Some objects are pretty easy to put in place because they rotate the way it's natural. Some others are tricky, they just don't seem to rotate the way you want them to. Anyway,

- Move the object to where you want it and F it. Some objects (candles, etc.) can't be F-ed, so you'll have to lower them manually.
- Try to rotate the object roughly the way you want it. (holding down X/Y/Z and leftclick moving)
- Zoom in really closely, so you can clearly see the surface and the part of the object that should match it (C does wonders, and also holding down V and moving the mouse).
- Double-click the object and fine-tune the rotation and z-position using those tiny up and down arrow buttons. If needed set the move/rotate step to 0.5/0.2/0.1. Usually 1 degree per click is OK for rotation, but you'll probably want to lower the Z-position step to 0.1 or 0.2 if needed.

EDIT: Of course, this is just one way to do it. Experiment and you'll see which one suits you.