Map 2 NPC Claim #8 [arvisrend]

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Also it should be noted BC that you shouldn't expect to use that file as a new "latest updated" file for TR_Mainland, since I'll still be updating my own un-merged version of TR_Mainland with bugfixes and whatnot.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Thanks for the heads up. For the timebeing I will be using my '.esp dependency method' to make these quests, so that's no issue.

When it comes to the quest that may need some rewriting of existing dialogue (the Inn Between one) I will need to work onto the raw .esp, but as long as we coordinate that, it'll be no problem (just a lot of big uploads, erk).

EDIT: Though, to clarify, the file you just produced should nonetheless from now be used as the default "latest updated" Mainland.esp by whoever is its current occupant. Otherwise things'll just get messier when we finally merge this claim.

(And if the above file is the result of this claim merged with an older version of Mainland, then the procedure needs to be repeated with the most recent, otherwise obviously all those Mainland bugs fixed would be lost.)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Hello again, TR. :banana:
Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote: Character Flaw

Journal Entry: TR_m2_Ak_Flaw
IDs: TR_m2_q_A8_3_
Quest Giver, Location: Fasele, Akamora

Ainab Guls is a former Telvanni sorcerer....

I would like to claim this one.

I'll make it fun, and if it's ok, I plan to give two alternative questgivers; you can be given the quest by the slave who finds living with the now-cranky enchanter unbearable, or by a local friend of Guls who finds that there friend is out of sorts.
When you push the Telvanni, you also get the choice to let him go or turn him in, or, if you're Telvanni yourself, to simply leave Guls with his enchantment on him, telling your questgiver that it's siply a mystery you can't solve.

Reward from Guls will be a couple of decent scrolls.
Reward from Vares will be one point of Telvanni rep, plus a promise to tell a couple of enchanters in Port Telvannis to look out for the player.

I also have some questions:

This should be made as an esp, dependent on Tr_data only, not TR_mainland or this detailing claim, right?
Also, is there any restrictions on items or objects that shouldn't be changed?
:banana: :banana:
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Ludovic madness. Long time no see!

Yes, feel free to take it. And yep, use the procedures outlined in the Necrom thread to get the full instructions on how to make your file properly dependent (simply: no reliance on any .esms beyond vanilla and Data; run the 'master .esp' alongside your plug-in but do not set it as Active, so that your quest exists in an independent .esp - remember to always load the master .esp alongside). Any alterations or deletions you want to make you should let the merger know about, rather than make them yourself. So simply: no modifications or deletions of existing items/references - additions are fine though.

For simplicity's sake, I'd just have the neighbour channel the player towards the slave rather than have two separate questgivers.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Cool beans.
I'll start on writing the dialogue tonight.
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:EDIT: Though, to clarify, the file you just produced should nonetheless from now be used as the default "latest updated" Mainland.esp by whoever is its current occupant. Otherwise things'll just get messier when we finally merge this claim.

(And if the above file is the result of this claim merged with an older version of Mainland, then the procedure needs to be repeated with the most recent, otherwise obviously all those Mainland bugs fixed would be lost.)
Unfortunately your edit for clarity does absolutely nothing toward clarifying things. It seems to me you just stated we must do exactly what I made an entire new post about to say we should NOT do, which is exasperatingly useless for all the modders working on these quests. No one really understood why you needed TR_Mainland to work on your quests, because you didn't give any reason and we couldn't think of one.

If it's your intent to have a new "main" file of all our released/finished work up until now, with which to work, you need to explicitly state that to avoid confusion and wasted work, please and thank you :-)

Because otherwise as administrators we are going to continue doing our own work on the main file and your work risks incompatibility down the road.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Posting this here for error fixing, from Leon:

4/8/2012 (10:38 ) TR_Map_2_Detailing_A7S.esp 12/28/2008 (01:32 ) TR2-7 Helnim Fields Region (32, -9 ) "ex_rope_short" 267670 -70320 1372 "bleeding with ex_de_shack_plank_01"

4/8/2012 (10:40 ) TR_Map_2_Detailing_A7S.esp 12/28/2008 (01:32 ) TR2-7 Erethan Plantation (31, -8 ) "furn_de_ex_table_03" 258170 -62604 305 "must be rotated"

4/8/2012 (10:42 ) TR_Map_2_Detailing_A7S.esp 12/28/2008 (01:32 ) TR2-7 Erethan Plantation (31, -8 ) "ex_velothi_window_01" 260084 -63440 668 "bleeds in ex_vivec_h_15"

4/8/2012 (10:43 ) TR_Map_2_Detailing_A7S.esp 12/28/2008 (01:32 ) TR2-7 Erethan Plantation (31, -8 ) "ex_velothi_window_01" 260084 -63564 668 "bleeds in ex_vivec_h_15"

4/8/2012 (10:49 ) TR_Map_2_Detailing_A7S.esp 12/28/2008 (01:32 ) TR2-7 Mephalain Mountains Region (34, -10 ) "flora_tree_wg_05" 281497 -75292 908 "Leaves of this tree bleeds in rock"

4/8/2012 (10:52 ) TR_Map_2_Detailing_A7S.esp 12/28/2008 (01:32 ) TR2-7 Darconis/Necrom Region (34, -15 ) "Terrain_rocks_GL_02" 279081 -118903 1300 "Needs to push the "X" Position few times"

4/8/2012 (10:54 ) TR_Map_2_Detailing_A7S.esp 12/28/2008 (01:32 ) TR2-7 Darconis/Necrom Region (35, -14 ) "Terrain_rocks_GL_02" 209312 -109282 733 "Half of this rock is floating"

4/8/2012 (10:56 ) TR_Map_2_Detailing_A7S.esp 12/28/2008 (01:32 ) TR2-7 Darconis/Necrom Region (35, -14 ) "terrain_rock_gl_02" 291075 -109840 1003 "must be rotated"

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Hap, sorry for all the confusion.

With regards to what file needs to be what: in order for quest work on this file to proceed in the proper way, there can be no dependence on TR_Mainland.esm (the removing of .esms is one of the causes of the various merging problems that the new .esp dependence procedure is designed to avert, saving us questers lots of work in the long run - getting Map 1 to a releasable state was an arduous process, to say the least - this way half the work should hopefully be avoided).

Because of the extremely dirty way in which this file was constructed, however, its dependence on the actual data of TR_Mainland is essentially necessary, because various obscure things in Mainland have been changed, for reasons unknown to me (ask Theo or Blackbird or whoever it was who first merged all the Map 2.5 claims into this one file): if TR_Mainland is not present when A8 is loaded in the CS, various merging errors will be introduced.

Given that the file needs to be both 1) an .esp and 2) dependent on Mainland, the only solution is for the merging of this file and Mainland to be done now.

Given that this file needs to be merged with Mainland, it also needs to be merged with the most recent and up-to-date version of Mainland. Because if changes need to be made directly to the A8 file for the purposes of questing (which they will be, at some point), we would otherwise end up with two divergent Mainland.esps: one with the most recent world fixes, and one with the quest changes. Merging the two would be impossible. (I don't know why you would have merged the A8 file with an outdated Mainland in the first place anyway, but whatever)

Given that that's all potentially quite complex and I'm writing in a hurry, the one-sentence answer is that: Yes, please merge the most recent version of A8 to the most recent version of Mainland, and use that as the new "main" file for your fixing purposes.

Final (most confusing) element: At a later date, when quest work on this file is to be completed, some direct changes to the A8 file need to be made. For most quests, these will just be simple 'leave instructions for merger' tasks - anyone who only needs to make such changes to the file can begin work on the .esp you provided earlier. However, Yeti indicated that the person working on the Inn Between quest (me) will likely need to rewrite the dialogue of some of the inhabitants: this is more complex, and will require direct work on to the file. At that point (but only then) you will need to re-upload the latest version of the Mainland file (which would include both the latest A8, and all the latest bug fixes) and halt bug fixes whilst that dialogue work is completed. Once completed, I would then upload the latest file, and bug fixes/regular merging would proceed from there.

I apologise for how messy this particular claim is: unfortunately the people to blame for it are probably all long gone.
Last edited by Bloodthirsty Crustacean on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Haplo and BC: Thanks a lot for clearing up this ancient mess. I also believe that the best way to go on is: merging the files ASAP, not waiting for the quests; fixing the bugs that have already been found; starting the closed beta; THEN merging the quest claims as they get finished. The only downside I see is that this way, the M2A8 quest claims don't get betatested as thoroughly as the other ones, but it should not be difficult to counterbalance this.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Another bug, told to me by TF in the channel.
Attachments
akamora-guild-of-mages.jpg
Akamora, Guild of Mages
(381.44 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Also:

TR_Map_2 -Necrom.esp 4/8/2012 (15:53) skraeling terrain_rock_gl_04 Mephalain Mountains Region (25,-15) 208541 -116592 607 "caspering"

NPC TR_m2_Dravil Bradyn (the caravaner of Akamora) has no travel destinations.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

When attempting to playtest a merged file I encountered a game-crashing error: Expression error- Unable to find dialogue id: TR_m3_Wil_Teknilashashulpi_door_sc, which references a Journal entry TR_m3_Wil_Teknilashashulpi.

The problem is that this Journal entry does not exist. I can't find any text entries relating to Teknilashashulpi, nor any door or interior cell called by that name either, aside from the script calling for it. Should I just delete the script? I have narrowed the source of the problem down to M3A4East's file, but checking both it and M3A4West shows zero results for Teknilashashulpi in dialogue, scripts, or objects, etc.

Edit: for those curious, here is the code of the script in question:

Code: Select all

begin TR_m3_Teknilashashulpi_door_sc

if OnActivate
	if ( GetJournalIndex TR_m3_Wil_Teknilashashulpi < 20 )
		Messagebox "Smart won't-open messagebox-thingy."
		;locked door sound
	else
		Activate
	endif
endif

end

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I do recall M3A4E having a quest that was started but removed later. Maybe this is part of the leftovers? There was a plan for a "friendly" Azura daedric ruin but it was decided the player would rather loot the pretty place or something like that.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Thread might shed some light: http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=21203&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

The thread indicates that this quest was taken out. Also, this script contains the text "Smart won't-open messagebox-thingy." that would be displayed in an in-game messagebox (if the requtied journal entry wasn't missing that is), clearly indicating that the script itself is unfinished.

Methinks you should just delete the script and then the problems will go away.
-Ophelia Benson
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Okay, I've deleted it and the problem has been fixed. Now I'm working on merging.

Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

Post by Terrifying Daedric Foe »

Here's a WIP version of the Ayemar quest. Most of the scripts don't work properly. I've probably made everything too complicated. I'm not going to work on this any longer, or the Akamora quest I claimed - I've lost all motivation to work on this.

Instructions for Merge
The generic guard standing next to Vuvil Adas in the Ayemar courtyard needs deleting.

The script TR_m2_q_A8_1_HlorgirScript_1 needs adding to TR_m2_Hlorgir Firm-Hand (the one in prision). Hlorgir needs to be moved so you can talk to him through the door.

Tavrene Indalas needs moving somewhere accessable, at the moment he's locked behind a 100 lock (surely that's too much, as far as I can remember the only 100 lock in vanilla is for where Vivec lives).

In case you missed it, this has been DROPPED and some of the scripts NEED FIXING.

Sorry. :(
Attachments
Clean TR_m2_Ay_FallGuy.ESP
(34.56 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Last edited by Terrifying Daedric Foe on Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

I'll claim this for fixing as soon as there is merged Mainland+M2A8 which I can work with. It would be a big pain to work with TDF's file right now, since it requires certain dialogue replies to be bound to certain NPC IDs which only appear in the M2A8 file. (These bindings were lost on cleaning, but should not be hard to guess: the two relevant NPCs are Hlorgir and Tavrene Indalas.

Meanwhile, somebody please find a better name for the quest than "The Fall Guy"...
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Hopefully you should be able to use Haplo's 3-part rar file from the last page for that purpose. Give it a try with that?

'Fall Guy' is just a fairly standard English phrase meaning equivalent to scapegoat, so if anything it's just a rather boring descriptive title. (which is fine)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

That file has been removed.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Fall Guy should be renamed to Scapegoat, since Scapegoat sounds better and Fall Guy is just vernacular. I'll be uploading a new TR_Mainland.esp and .esm to the TR_Mainland thread in Internal Downloads shortly. Arvisrend can work off of that .esp (or Nemon, or whoever. just make sure two people aren't working on it at multiple times.).

The new TR_Mainland WILL INCLUDE THIS CLAIM, M2A8.

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Terrifying Daedric Foe wrote:Instructions for Merge
The generic guard standing next to Vuvil Adas in the Ayemar courtyard needs deleting.
Why?

Another question:
I will not speak of such matters to you. This is a matter for the House Indoril, not a %PCRace such as yourself.
I will not speak of such matters while you have a criminal record. Repay your debt to society, then we may talk.
You want me to release the Nord prisoner? Well, you'll have to pay his fine. 185 septims.
Are these dialogue lines for Tavrene or for some guard in the jail?

In other news, the scripts did not work because there were "return" statements in front of them. (Also, I am not sure whether the variable declarations in the middle of the scripts would work.)
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Anyone can help me with making the prisoner detect the player? No matter how close I move him to the cell door, no matter whether I make him forcegreet the player; he always just says "Who's there?". My only idea is to let him happen to be on parole for the moment the player is in the guardhouse. Kind of artificial, though...

@TDF: Equality checking in Morrowind scripts (and most other programming languages) is done using ==, not =. Good job writing a quest with that many ways to proceed; that some results got messed up was inevitable but the quest is worth it.
Last edited by arvisrend on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

Thanks Arvisrend for taking this on.

The guard next to Vuvil was in the original NPCing file. Because I added an extra guard (Vuvil) I thought that there would be guard overkill in the courtyard. I suppose he doesn't have to be deleted if you don't think it's necessary.

Those lines of dialogue are for Tavrene. He's the top mer at Ayemar, so I thought he'd be in charge of releasing prisoners. If you think that should be changed then that's up to you. You'd have to edit some of the journal entries in that case (change from 'I spoke to Tavrene' to 'I spoke to some guard').
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Terrifying Daedric Foe wrote:The guard next to Vuvil was in the original NPCing file. Because I added an extra guard (Vuvil) I thought that there would be guard overkill in the courtyard. I suppose he doesn't have to be deleted if you don't think it's necessary.
I see. I'll add a replacement for when Vuvil is dead.
Terrifying Daedric Foe wrote:Those lines of dialogue are for Tavrene. He's the top mer at Ayemar, so I thought he'd be in charge of releasing prisoners. If you think that should be changed then that's up to you. You'd have to edit some of the journal entries in that case (change from 'I spoke to Tavrene' to 'I spoke to some guard').
No, I wasn't planning to change this, I was just trying to make sure I'm not misunderstanding the quest.
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Anyone can help me with making the prisoner detect the player? No matter how close I move him to the cell door, no matter whether I make him forcegreet the player; he always just says "Who's there?". My only idea is to let him happen to be on parole for the moment the player is in the guardhouse. Kind of artificial, though..
I could redo the celldoor and remove the collision in the window. Not sure if that helps?
--Mwgek--
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Mwgek wrote:I could redo the celldoor and remove the collision in the window.
Please do so for great justice.
It's in_MH_jaildoor_01, and there is no "window", but you should probably just replace the collision mesh by one half as high.
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Tested this and it works, was just a quick check so messed up textures somewhere in between.

Here is the files, but it needs another update if I have the time I'll look it up later tonight. Just for a second check on your side, please download it and check.
Last edited by Mwgek on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Mwgek--
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Thanks a lot - this is very nice, but I'd prefer that not even the bars have collision at eye level.

In other news, I've got a version which works, although there might be the occasional bug in there. I will give it some thorough testing this evening, but it'd be great if someone else wishes to try it out as well.

At the moment, you have to unlock Hlorgir's jail cell and open it in order to speak with Hlorgir. This will become unnecessary when Mwgek's celldoor is merged into the TR_data.

The file adds a script to a Mainland NPC, and might also do some more changes. If these changes should be done at mergetime, tell me and I'll clean them away.

[file removed to reduce confusion. see below for final version.]
Last edited by arvisrend on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Ok, this should be it. Just collision below the lower bar and in the top. Couldn't jump through so should be enough. The texture stretching is on the orignal model aswell. Since Beth used velothi door texture and was to lazy to make a MH texture for jail doors.

Try if it works correctly.
--Mwgek--
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Here is the final version of TDF's quest.

Known issues: The guard that is supposed to replace Vuvil when the quest is finished (NPC TR_m2_q_A8_1_VuvilRepla) doesn't always appear. This might fix itself upon merging (I recall such issues being related to ESPs), and is not important anyway.

The file is clean except of intentional changes and of some cells being touched (this was already the case before I got the file). The merger might have to redo the intentional changes since they might get lost in merging. Here are they:

Merge instructions

If you see a generic TR_ind_guard standing directly next to Vuvil Adas in the Ayemar courtyard, delete it. (I really mean "directly next", not on the other side of the stairway.)

The script TR_m2_q_A8_1_HlorgirScript_1 has been put on NPC TR_m2_Hlorgir Firm-Hand (the one in prison); please check that it is still on that NPC.

Hlorgir has been moved so you can talk to him through the door. Please check that this still is the case upon merging.

Tavrene Indalas has been moved to a room accessible without lockpicking (originally he was behind a 100 lock, which is unrealistic anyway: the only 100 lock in vanilla is for where Vivec lives). Check that he is still in such a room.

In "Ayemar, Guard Tower", the door In_MH_jaildoor_01 has been replaced by a TR_in_ind_q_jaildoor_col (from the newest TR_Data). Check that this has not been lost.
Attachments
TR_m2_Ay_FallGuy_arv3.ESP
The quest is called "An Inconvenient Scapegoat" and is started by exploring the cell "Ayemar, Guard Tower". TDF wrote all the dialogue.
(38.74 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Ideally to make the merging process as smooth and bug-free as possible, it is best to avoid making any of the above such changes yourself. I imagine the merger will have to keep an eye out for a couple of duplicates where things have been moved.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Are we having a reunion in this thread? I'll join! ;)

I'd like to take on the Gem Collection quest. Should be straightforward enough to allow me to properly pick up scripting again. Lore by TDF sounds good to me but I'll be vague about it and leave the interpretation of the historical accuracy of those stories to the player.

I'll be on IRC for most of the day so you can all come and chat with me / tell me how much I suck / bring me up to speed on what needs doing! :D
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Great to see you here again, Why :banana:
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

Why, are you back? (I'm so funny :lol:)

Anyway, thank you again Arvisrend.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Yup, I'm back!

I might change the quest around a bit. Since Dun Akafell is infested with vampires, I doubt a simple merchant could and would have taken down a mercenary there. I'm tempted to cut him out of the quest entirely, because while I could have him kill the mercenary on the way back to Akamora, I want to send the player into the ruins for this quest. Does anyone have a better idea? Please share!
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

I endorse altering the details on that point. Perhaps keep the bait and switch, but perhaps redirect the player to another bandit camp, or further into Dun Akafell than they thought they'd have to go.

Great to see you back. :)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Ok, here's my quest.
Doesn't need any edits to integrate it.
Attachments
Done TR_m2_a8_q_flaw_lud.esp
(32.66 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
-Ophelia Benson
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

I'd like to take a shot at the "Hunting Daedra" quest if no one else has claimed it.
Not another memory

...And so my bad karma gets worse
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Granted! The Dridea is a TR_cr_dridrea_GREATER in the cell (32, -13). I'm not exactly sure if this is supposed to become a Vermai or not - I'd argue that a Dridea in the Mephalian Mountains makes more sense, and having it out in the open gives us another incentive to fix it fast, amiright? If we still have Dridea in our upcoming release, we might as well have one here.

Anyway, this should be a fairly straightforward go-kill quest. If you want, you can add a special item as a reward, in which case it should probably be placed on one of the corpses nearby. Alternatively have a letter direct you to someone else, who will reward you for bringing the news of their friend's demise. Or something. I'm sure you'll come up with something fitting.

edit: edited BC's post to reflect claimed status