(Obsolete) Almalexia Discussion [Formerly M3A6 thread]

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I don't know what to do inside of Othrensis just yet, just look if there are things to be done.

As for the area around it: I think the shading there is rather messy. I also think there's a rather odd combination of WG and GL rocks. To put it simply, I think it feels messy.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Granted for updating of the western regions
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Is there any objection to rethinking the region around Othrensis in its entirety?
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Yes, I feel the area is ok enough - and I'd rather see exterior effort made in other and new areas. I have it loaded in the CS now. It's a small strip of GL land, a region I'll mark for continuation a few cells into map 6, naturally bordering the other parts of the Alt Orethan region that will stretch further into map 6.

I do, however, agree with the fixes in and around 14 -26.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Alright. Will you be able to merge in your Almalexia work easily enough by the way?

Oh, and I do insist on doing nicer shading for the roads around the Othrensis Grazelands (which needs its own region because it really isn't Alt Orethan.)

Do you also want me to region-paint and remove cell names where not needed?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Aeven wrote:Do you also want me to region-paint and remove cell names where not needed?
No, leave that until a later phase, please.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

If Aeven has time and wants to, it might be worth him looking at tweaking the more eastern areas? For one of our nearer releases, the Alt Orethan is kind of a mixed bag of quality, and doesn't really have any identity, which is a shame.

But finish the important stuff first, yep.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

I'll look into the eastern areas, I need to fix the river in and around Almalexia anyway. And Alma itself is progressing nicely.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I haven't done anything yet on this, but it might help if I work on Nemon's file.

Also, iirc the western area has the most NPCing done.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

The file I'm working on is a cleaned version of the main file, don't recall the exact date of it. Only Almalexia cells are covered, although I see the need of certain "almalexia region" cells needing some editing in order to have the landscape "work" or "fit" if you'd like.

Aeven, I don't have access to my pc right now, but judging by earlier files I've posted - are you doing stuff anywhere close?
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Probably not: there's a slight mountain ridge that separates the Othrensis and Almalexia area.

I do think we need some kind of region for the Othrensis area. It's currently Alt Orethan. The Almalexia area uses Mournhold in the city and Alt Orethan outside it, which to me doesn't make total sense. Leaving the city to find the rain ends there is weird.

I'll start some work on this tomorrow I think (still on holiday in Hong Kong at the moment.)
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Are we discussing weather? That's the simplest thing to change, since we can create pretty much whatever we want. I'm more concerned about having regions blend nicely, in terms of statics and textures.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

WIP, lots of stuff done, lots of things left.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

holy mother of god...

There are no Gods but the Three; there is no City but Her City; there is no Modder but Nemon.

Every time I thought you were done, another three mindblowing cells loaded up round the corner.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Very very nice. Vertiginous.
Tyrant
Developer

Incredible!

Post by Tyrant »

Excellent work! This looks spectacular

10/10!
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shackled, we are bound
Freedom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned
Nerano
Developer

Post by Nerano »

I am ashamed that I was against the rebuilding of Almalexia.
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Fantastic stuff. I really like the more natural-looking design of the sections you most recently added, compared to the more regular and geometric earlier sections.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Cathartis wrote:Fantastic stuff. I really like the more natural-looking design of the sections you most recently added, compared to the more regular and geometric earlier sections.
I agree, that way up to the entrance of mournhold is just amazing. Would be a great pleasure to take a walk there. In the file I walked up that ramp with all the tall buildings, but why does it end all the way up at the mournhold wall, and there is no gate there? From the road there you can jump on that coloured wall model and you then sink through the collision.
--Mwgek--
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Mwgek wrote: I agree, that way up to the entrance of mournhold is just amazing. Would be a great pleasure to take a walk there. In the file I walked up that ramp with all the tall buildings, but why does it end all the way up at the mournhold wall, and there is no gate there? From the road there you can jump on that coloured wall model and you then sink through the collision.
I have some plans for these areas, just haven't gotten around to them yet. I don't want the player accessing those places anyway.
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Ok, I was just asking myself what could be the purpose of that :). If you run into some ind models with a dire need of cleaning I can do that for you. Because if there are more models with massive collision or invisible polys almalexia is going to be a choppy ride when playing it.
--Mwgek--
Tyrant
Developer

Post by Tyrant »

Thoughts on the NPC's of Almexia

Almexia is truly a sight to behold, and I think the NPC's should know that. As such, besides just talking about their city a lot in the dialogue, I think it should be clear that living in Almexia has gone to their heads. I imagine almost a Parisian-style arrogance among the people living there, who will (possibly unintentionally) be condescending and talk down to you about being from elsewhere. For the most part, I would imagine this a very sophisticated city, and even generic NPC's would be middle-upper class in most cases. This would show in their clothes, homes and dialogue.

I'm not sure what the final consensus was on having a "slum", but I think that could provide a good contrast between the well-off Almexian upper-middle class, and the poor that live off their scraps.

These are my thoughts, please let me know what you think
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shackled, we are bound
Freedom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Some screenies?
THEO
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

It's a long time since I replied here.

Very good work Nemon!
My biggest concenr is about the interiors. I wonder how many interior claims will be put up and how many will be deleted. Let's hope many interior modders want to create new almalexia interiors!
Are you keeping some of the buildings of the old Almalexia or are the most made from scratch?

About Othrensis: As long as you keep the city and the 'grazeland plains' it's allright for me. By the way, have you left the 'cactus area' intact or not?
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

I believe Othrensis will be pretty much kept as is, it's a nice area to walk about in.

Regarding interiors to be kept, know that I copied huge areas from the old alma into a new interior cell that I carried over to the new alma - moving lots of them into the new exteriors of this city.

But door markers are all deleted, and it will be some work sorting out what goes where, and if we're keeping it.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Nemon, an idea:

In some of the poor outskirt areas, add some ruined OM stuff such as columns and walls, and shacky stuff in between. Think the same way paupers live in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood: between the old Roman ruins.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

New file, not clean.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Nemon asked for these MH-style Aqueduct meshes! :)
Attachments
Aquaducts.rar
(94.58 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Almalexia Interiors

To help speed things up, Nemon agreed I could find existing interiors from the old Almalexia and find their new counterpart. I know which cells this can be done for already, because Nemon has told me.

In many cases the old building shells are the same or almost the same. I've made a picture of cells with the claim numbers of the buildings that go there. In addition I've added a list of these claims, and details of what they are and what kind of editing is needed based on the changes Nemon has made. Obviously the northmarkers need to be redone, so I have not added this to that list.

Cells 20, -30 and 21, -30 DONE!

i3-108 Craftsmanshall. Easy to add back in
i3-59 Alma Cathedral. Easy to add back in. Needs new name
i3-99 Appartments
i3-98 Appartments
i3-101 Appartments. Needs new doors at the east side of new city.
i3-203 Pillow shop. Needs two windows added back in the exterior.
i3-93 Needs two interior windows removed based on exterior, or 'switched' if added back to the exterior on the other side.
i3-263 Weapon and armor shop. Needs new door to balcony on the east side.
i3-95 Black Rose Cornerclub
i3-181 Travel equipment shop

Cell 22, -30 DONE!

i3-113 Enaalen Manor. Needs to have an interior window added on the new west entry of the building.
i3-424 Grand Ascendants Cloister. I don't think this is the place we want to Grand Ascendant to live in the new Almalexia, so maybe repurpose the place (not redo). Remove interior windows at the new south end.
i3-114 "The Purple Nixhound" Restaurant. Could use some updating to standards of the furnaces in the cellar, but generally okay. Nemon should probably add some kind of decoration to the exterior, with flowers like the foyer inside has. Done -Nemon

Cell 23, -30 DONE! The inappropriate interiors not linked!

i3-32 Guard towers/Administrative buildings. Also something called Dancing Sword in the most western part. HUGE tower, possibly too huge. It's basically a big hotel building, so if we keep it, adjust the exterior a bit to make this more obvious.
i3-28 Guild of Brewers. VERY big, but nice.
i3-26 Messy house. Doesn't seem very appropriate for such an expensive location, but sure.
i3-30 Alchemist. Ancient, but I suppose it's fine. Not sure if the new location makes sense, but this IS the interior for the exterior shell.
i3-213 Fletcher's shop
i3-214 "Morag Tong" Instrument maker. Don't know what makes this a Morag Tong place except for the Mephala tapestry.
ie-210 Redware store. Possibly not such a great location anymore. Also, either remove the windows inside or add them back on the exterior.

Cells 20, -29 and 21, -29 DONE!
i3-57 Gate tower. North is a barracks, south is a storehouse
i3-200 Potter. Owner lives here.
i3-264 Lerasi "Mansion". I'd drop the mansion part, this isn't very big. Seems the occupants don't dine together.
i3-56 House
i3-215 Barracks? Seems to be a place for Indoril captains of the guard.
i3-86 Dalamus Theray: Pawnbroker
i3-262 House. Cut off the storage room cell (just remove the cell and the door) and it fits.
i3-259 Tavern with beds. In the exterior it seems Nemon wants this to use the wall-bridge to go into the shell north of it. If so, it needs an extra bit of work.
i3-247, 7 The King's Sceptre Inn. Nemon has already edited the exterior to fit this. The door in the back to the balcony which no longer exists needs to be removed, as should probably be a window. Check.

I do not add buildings which are of (poor) 2005 quality to this list.
Attachments
Almalexia2021-30.jpg
Cells 20, -30 and 21, -30
Buildings with no numbers need a new interior.
(267.48 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Almalexia22-30.jpg
(58.65 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Almalexia23-30.jpg
(53.09 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Almalexia2021-29.jpg
(67.15 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Last edited by Aeven on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

So Aeven (since I'm so slow on phone irc) : Bottom south west corner I placed a huge structure on a hilltop. What interior was assigned to this?

And the north east corner, smack into the mountainside; which interior was assigned to this?

And in the indoril quarter I'm doing in the cell that had the waterfall thingy (recent work NOT uploaded yet) - what did you mean should go here and how should it look (what mesh, or combination thereof)?
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

The building in the south west corner is the Almalexia Basilica, i3-59-Ind.

In the north east corner, into the mountain side, you want [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=12076]i3-25[/url], which is the Indoril Council Hall as made by Yeti. It's currently in Reviewing and has been for over a year now. It's mainly the main chamber which needs to be preserved, but that's easy because that's been built into the mountain.

Further, we should keep i3-611, Horatio Gorgonath's place that Hemitheon made. Not entirely sure what the exterior would look like, but it's a good interior.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Approximately one hour later than I thought, who would think having two kids could screw up one's schedule??
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Hi all. yes I check in on every so often. The building the Gargonath house is based on is that octagonal shaped 2-story building, Indoril style. It also had a couple balconies if I can recall. BTW, great job all! :)
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

You can locate the old horatio gargonath exterior straddling the center-west cell of almalexia (leading to the old strider port) and the cell just north of it.

Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/testmj.png/][img]http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8988/testmj.png[/img][/url]

Is this ok for almalexia Nemon. Or do I need to desaturate the window texture some more?
--Mwgek--
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

I think that'll do just fine!
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Latest file. This is for Aeven to do some testing of existing interiors, sorting out what's good - what fits where and what's to keel with fayaa.

Feel free to try some exterior stuff as well, since I won't have time in between all the sacred east fixing.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I made an alternative texture for Mwgek's window file, which I based on the vanilla MH window texture. Personally I think this one suits it a bit better, but you be the judge.
Attachments
tr_tx_ind_tower_window.dds
(170.8 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

This file has a great number (and growing) of interiors linked in. All this is being coordinated with Nemon. This helps us save time because all the non-linked buildings at the end of this need new stuff, and all interiors remaining unlinked can be killed by nuclear fire.

EDIT: newer file
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Dirty as fuck, hot as Almalexia.

EDIT: New file. Much cleaner too.