q2-27-Imp

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Why
Lead Developer

q2-27-Imp

Post by Why »

Claim type: Quest
Claim ID: TR_q2-27-Imp (#2514)
Faction: Imperial
Parent claim: TR_2-37-Ind (#100)
Claimed by: arvisrend
Files: TR_q2-27-Imp_Why_1.esp; TR_q2-27-Imp_arvisrend_1.esp; TR_q2-27-Imp_arvisrend_2.esp; TR_q2-27-Imp_arvisrend_3.esp; TR_q2-27-Imp_arvisrend_4.esp; TR_q2-27-Imp_arvisrend_5.esp; TR_q2-27-Imp_arvisrend_6.esp; TR_q2-27-Imp_arvisrend_7.esp

---

Akamora Fighters Guild quests given by Amiro.

Original design discussion: http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=23566
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Original plans by Yeti. Yeti, you're awesome.

Guild members

Laalalvo Irano (Rank: Guardian) – A female Dunmer Crusader who is an Akamora native. She used to be a member of the city guard but quit and joined the Fighter’s Guild due to it being too rigid for her. Her sister, Flaalsa Irano, is the current guard captain. Laalalvo believes that as a native Dunmer, she has the best chance of building the guild's reputation in Akamora. Despite being the leader of an outlander guild, Laalalvo still respects her native beliefs and customs and tries to run the guild within their boundaries.

Amiro (Rank: Defender) – A good natured Redguard Drillmaster who assigns the easiar contracts to members.

Circus Leonos (Rank: Swordsman) - A gruff and burly Imperial knight. Circus is only interested in winning glory (and money) through fighting. Also assigns odd jobs to guild members. Usually these jobs are tasks that he feels are beneath him.

Baren Dralos (Rank: Apprentice) – A female Dunmer women who makes her trade as a warrior. She isn’t native-born and has little connections in Akamora outside of the Guild.

Lands-With-Splat (Rank: Apprentice) – An Argonian who acts as the guilds’ smith.

Hozgub gro-Hazor (Rank: Associate) – An Orc warrior who joined the Fighters Guild very recently. Utterly incompetent, Hozgub is currently staying at The Inn Between along the road to the west of Akamora, due to his inability to locate the cave he was sent to for his first guild job.

Quests

The player starts out at the Akamora branch of the Fighter’s Guild by taking quests from Amiro and Circus Leonos. After completing the tasks (3 from Amiro and 2 from Circus) the player will receive 3 more difficult quests from Laalalvo Irano.

Please note that due to the confusing nature of the region around Akamora, players will need very thorough directions to wilderness locations.

Also, most of my quest names are mediocre and should be treated as placeholders.

An Absent Orc
Journal Entry: TR_m2_FG_Amiro1
object/script ID prefix: TR_m2_q_27_1_

Amiro’s first quest for the player will be to clear Seranassid cave of its outlaws. This task was originally given to Hozgub gro-Hazor, but it has been a long time since he departed. The player will head to Seranassid, located directly southeast of the Inn Between near the Dwemer ruin Arkgnthleft, and kill all the baddies there and return, for their reward, clear and simple. After dealing with the bandits and finding no trace of Hozgub gro-Hazor, Amiro will task the player with finding out what happened the Orc.

After asking around town, travelers will mention seeing an Orc at the Inn Between, an inn to the west of town. When the player finds Hazor there, the Orc will explain that he couldn’t find the cave and will refuse to believe that the player succeeded in finishing his mission. After the player reports back to Amiro, the Redguard will be glad to hear that the Orc is alive, though not exactly impressed with his performance.

Coordinate this with the claimant of [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=20904]q2-17-Mis[/url].

Eliminate Tedril Draren
Journal Entry: TR_m2_FG_Amiro2
object/script ID prefix: TR_m2_q_27_2_

Amiro’s final task for the player will be tracking down a notorious outlaw named Tedril Draren. He has heard rumors from pilgrims that the outlaw inhabits a cave that leads to a small valley that acts as a holy place to St. Delyn. The cave (one of Kebra’s exterior ones) is located in (30,-15). Tedril Draren is already placed there.

A Questionable Contract
Journal Entry: TR_m2_FG_Amiro3
object/script ID prefix: TR_m2_q_27_3_

Amiro’s next task for the player will be having him/her track down two slaves who escaped from Tiranat-Parys Egg Mine. The contract is from Telera Parys, an influential noblewoman in Akamora. Despite the importance of the contract, Amiro will tell the player he is uncomfortable with the job, being personally against slavery. While he’ll officially give the player the orders to capture the slaves, he’ll also give the player a personal request to free them instead if the player finds them.

Regardless of what choice the player makes, they’ll start by heading to Tiranat-Parys Egg Mine, which rests a little ways to the south of the other Akamora Egg Mines. The egg miners there will inform the player that the slaves didn’t have the chance to take any supplies with them. Because of this and treacherous nature of the surrounding area, they’re most likely still in the vicinity of Akamora. They’ll recommend searching for dwellings on the outskirts of the city where the slaves could pillage food and supplies from.

The player will find the slaves, a male Argonian and a female Khajiit, outside the Miners Residence shack on the outskirts of Akamora (the shack is currently empty). The female Khajiit will refuse to speak to the player but the Argonian will explain that they’re half-starved after trying to survive in the wilderness. It is here that the player can make the choice of either capturing the slave or helping him. Since the Argonain slave is so worn out, he’ll put up no resistance if the player chooses to capture him. The player will simply have to lead him back to Tiranat-Parys Egg Mine. However, the female Khajiit will attack and the player will be forced to kill her. If the player wants to help the slaves, he/she will have to provide them with potions of restore fatigue and health along with weapons to defend themselves. This will allow them to flee the area.

If the player chooses to capture the slaves, he/she will suffer a modest disposition drop with Amiro. The player will also receive a disposition increase from Telera Parys if he/she latter talks to her about the slaves (similar to how Dram Belo will thank the player for killing the egg poachers in the egg mine he owns for the vanilla Fighters Guild Quest “Egg Poachersâ€Â￾).

If the player helps the slaves Amiro won’t give any official guild payment, but will give the player one of his personal possessions (a weapon, piece of armor, or something). While most members of the guild will be happy with the player’s action (giving the player modest disposition boosts) Laalalvo Irano, won’t be. She will scold the player for his/her actions, saying how they’ve had a negative impact on the Guild’s reputation. Laalalvo will also fine the player 500 gold to pay the costs of the slaves to Telera Parys (the player won’t be able to start Laalalvo’s quests until they pay the fine). If the player latter speaks to Telera Parys about the slaves, he/she will lose disposition with her.
Last edited by Why on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

The claimer of these might want to follow arvisrend's suggestions outlined below:
About the orc in the Inn, I am kind of worried that the character you give him (lazy, stupid, arrogant) conflicts a bit with what I wanted him to be for Walk the Talk (humorous, cunning, thoughtful at the end). But this can probably be fixed on either side. Maybe he should somehow hint at the job being too hard, or the Fighters Guild not giving him enough training?

"Eliminate Tedril Draren" looks like a good "we'll make ourselves useful to the Dunmer" enterprise that I'd expect from Laalalvo; maybe Amiro could hint towards that in postquest dialogue.
Why wrote:Original plans by Yeti. Yeti, you're awesome.
Why, thank you Why 8)
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Yeti, are you claiming this? If not, I would.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I think Yeti would've pressed the button had he wanted this. Feel free to click claim, arvis!
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

I'll probably put my dialogue in this topic for everyone to proofread before actually putting it into the ESP.

EDIT: Also, I'd switch #2 and #3, since #2 is too delicate a quest to give to a newcomer.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Grant. Switching #2 and #3 is fine with me, but maybe that banditguy's level will need to be lowered a bit. Or maybe not, since the first quest already includes killing everything in a Daedric ruin and should be quite hard. I'll defer to your decision. Enjoy!
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

He isn't very tough. Remember, shortswords are rarely ever dangerous.

Daedric ruin?
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Cave/bandit hideout. I'm still a bit sleepy.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Here's a batch of dialogue I'd like people to glance over before I implement it. It might not cover everything yet, but I want to ensure it's good before I continue. It's all for quest #1.

TR_m2_FG_AbsentOrc / Fighters Guild: An Absent Orc

TO-DO IN FILE:
- add trapped doors to Seranassid (so that the cave is really "full of traps" and the orc sounds more reasonable).

STAGE 10: Amiro, the steward of Akamora's guild chapter, assigned me the tasks of taking out a bandit gang in the cave of Seranassid, and of finding an orc named Hozgub gro-Hazor who was sent on this mission before me.

STAGE 20: Hozgub resides in the Inn Between. I might want to question him about his job.
[This is set by either coming close to Hozgub or talking to anyone else in the Inn about him.]

STAGE 25: Hozgub had indeed dared an assault on Seranassid, but found himself trapped and had to teleport out. He is not planning to return and blames the Guild for not preparing him appropriately.

STAGE 27: Amiro was not happy to hear of Hozgub's resignation. I am to finish his job myself.

STAGE 30: The bandits in Seranassid have been neutralized.

STAGE 35: Hozgub congratulated me on finishing his task. He is not planning to do any further work for the Guild, though.

STAGE 100: Amiro has rewarded me with 400 drakes from the funds of Revas Baldaren.

[NOTE: These stages will not always be updated in ascending order. So whether or not the player has asked Hozgub about his resignation will not be checked by quest stage, but rather by a local variable on Amiro which is referenced from Hozgub's dialogue result scripts.]

AMIRO / ORDERS (if bandits are not dead yet): A while ago I assigned this job to Hozgub gro-Hazor, an associate in our guild. Revas Baldaren, the publican at the Inn Between not far from Akamora, has been reporting robberies on his patrons. Granted the Inn is a place for adventurers, but this is not the kind of adventure they are coming for, so we will have to put an end to it. The brigands are supposedly based not far from the inn, in a cave called [Seranassid]. It's been a while now since we have had any news from Hozgub, but the bad news from Revas Baldaren continue. So this is your second task: [Find Hozgub].
[set stage 10]

AMIRO / ORDERS (if bandits are dead already): [The same reply but without "the bad news from Revas Baldaren continue".]
choice "I have already taken care of the robbers."
=> Good tidings, %PCRank; Revas Baldaren has laid aside a good reward for you. Yet, before I hand it over, you need to [find Hozgub]. The Guild does not leave behind its members.

[also, some straightforward replies between stages 10 and 100]

AMIRO / SERANASSID (if bandits are not dead yet, and Amiro doesn't know about Hozgub's resignation): From The Inn Between, head east, but stay north of the ashen hill that is home to the Arkgnthleft ruin. At some point you will see a cave entrance at the foot of a rock. This is where the outlaws have been seen the last time. Be careful; if Hozgub failed at this, it will not likely be very easy.

AMIRO / SERANASSID (if bandits are not dead yet, but Amiro knows about Hozgub's resignation): [the same answer but without the last sentence]

AMIRO / SERANASSID (if bandits are dead, but Amiro doesn't yet know about Hozgub's resignation): Good tidings, %PCRank; Revas Baldaren has laid aside a good reward for you. Yet, before I hand it over, you need to [find Hozgub]. The Guild does not leave behind its members.

AMIRO / SERANASSID (if bandits are dead and Amiro knows about Hozgub's resignation): So you prevailed where Hozgub has chickened out. At least, he didn't join the brigands. Good to know that you are reliable. Here, the bounty set by Revas; it's yours now. If you want more orders, let me know.
[give 400 gold, set stage 100]

AMIRO / FIND HOZGUB (if he has not been found yet): I gave him the same directions as I gave you, so you may want to ask around the Inn Between whether he has been seen passing through. That's unless you find him in the cave -- but let me hope for the best.

AMIRO / FIND HOZGUB (if orc has been found but not questioned): Hozgub is in the Inn? That's not even far away from Seranassid. I really want to know what has been keeping him from doing his duties.

AMIRO / FIND HOZGUB (if orc has been questioned but Amiro doesn't yet know that the bandits are dead): I sent him to help the Inn against the robberies, and he just stays there all the time and enjoys himself? For the equipment we gave him he could have very well afforded a few lockpicks and probes. Well, not everyone can be trusted with responsibility, or we wouldn't need this guild to begin with. How about you: did you clear the cave of [Seranassid]?

AMIRO / FIND HOZGUB (if orc has been questioned and Amiro knows that the bandits are dead): I sent him to help the Inn against the robberies, and he just stays there all the time and enjoys himself? For the equipment we gave him he could have very well afforded a few lockpicks and probes. Well, not everyone can be trusted with responsibility, or we wouldn't need this guild to begin with. At least he didn't join the bandits. Revas offered a bounty; it's yours now. If you want more orders, let me know.

HOZGUB / BACKGROUND (replacing the current one): Name's Hozgub gro-Hazor, an Associate in the Fighters' Guild. Well, used to be one. By now, they have probably expelled me for dereliction of duty. Not that I care much.

HOZGUB / SERANASSID (if bandits are not dead): It's a cave southeast of the Dwemer ruin of Arkgnthleft. I have been there, briefly. Fell into a pit and had to escape by teleportation Stay on guard if you're going there; the bandits are good at using traps.

HOZGUB / SERANASSID (if bandits are dead): You killed them? Good work. I hope they'll pay you well.

HOZGUB / FIND HOZGUB: Here, you found me. How kind from Amiro to send his search party after me. Though, it would have been better if he had given me the right equipment to begin with. The place is full of traps and the bandits shoot from behind locked doors, yet Amiro believes he is having me kill rats in a barn. Tell Amiro he needs not worry about me; I am not going back to the cave, at least not for him. No hard feelings -- I'm just no longer with the guild.
choices:
1 "Should I tell Revas that you were supposed to help him against the robbers?"
2 "I see." (only if bandits are not dead yet)
3 "I see. I have cleared that cave."
Answer to 1: "Not very intimidating. He knows anyway." (maybe -1 dispo)
Answer to 2: "Good. Let me know if you need directions to [Seranassid], but you'll have to get there on your own."
Answer to 3: "Good work. Maybe you'll have a better luck with the guild than I did."

EIFID / FIND HOZGUB: Why? He is not even a vampire.

EVERYONE ELSE IN THE INN / FIND HOZGUB: He should be on the ground floor, near the entrance. Rather hard to miss.

BARO KELAIUS / SERANASSID (if bandits are not dead): You're from the Fighters' Guild? Yes, that's the cave you are looking for; its entrance is northeast from the entrance of Arkngthleft. The bandits started with burglaries in the Inn and I'm regretting that I didn't make short shrift of this back then, because now they are assaulting our guests on the roads outside of the Inn. One of them is a mage, so be prepared.

BARO KELAIUS / SERANASSID (if bandits are dead but stage isn't 100 yet): Finally they've been dealt with! You have my thanks. You can collect the bounty at the guildhouse in Akamora.

EVERYONE ELSE IN THE INN (EXCEPT EIFID) / SERANASSID (if bandits are not dead): A cave due east and a little bit south from here. Ask Baro for better directions.
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

EIFID / FIND HOZGUB: Why? He is not even a vampire.

LOL! Looks good arvis. Good choice of topics.

What if you are a member of the FG and talked to the Orc before activating the quest? What topics does he have? Shouldn't he say something about his failure or maybe ask if you could help him out? Or is he just done with the whole thing?

or is this line enough:
HOZGUB / SERANASSID (if bandits are not dead): It's a cave southeast of the Dwemer ruin of Arkgnthleft. I have been there, briefly. Fell into a pit and had to escape by teleportation Stay on guard if you're going there; the bandits are good at using traps.
--Mwgek--
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Thanks for the comments!

About Hozgub: The Seranassid lines all appear only when the quest starts and most of them disappear when it ends, so it won't be of help. His Background topic tells you all you need to know him if you're not on that quest. I don't think he would bother random people about his job, particularly not if they are in the FG (he doesn't want to act like he is trying to encumber someone else with his chores). Or should he?

Also, quoting Why in the channel:
Why wrote: [16:29] Why: try "tasked me with taking out a bandit gang in Seranassid and finding an orc..."
[16:31] Why: suggest that patronage has been decreasing at the Inn Between because of bandits in the area, rather than patrons getting robbed
[16:32] Why: since it's an inn full of adventurers that might be more plausible
PS. I've dropped the "Hozgub couldn't find the cave" idea because it made not much sense and would have the consequence that, if the player can find the cave, he should be able to make Hozgub join him, but this is something I absolutely didn't want to implement (the cave is completely unsuitable for companions, not least because of the trap).
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Just go with the: 'he went in and got slammed on the head when falling down a trap. Fending off bandits and could barely escape with teleport. He felt like he was send to his death by the FG with bad instructions/equipment and was done with it completely.'
--Mwgek--
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

My revisions below. Just had to iron out a couple of quirks to get it to sound totally natural, but it all made perfect sense.

One thing I've mixed feelings about is the use of the term 'clearing the cave' -- to me that's a videogame term, not one I'd imagine adventurers using. Don't know if it's ever used by vanilla. But it's not bad English, so I've left it in in most instances.

arvisrend wrote:Here's a batch of dialogue I'd like people to glance over before I implement it. It might not cover everything yet, but I want to ensure it's good before I continue. It's all for quest #1.

TR_m2_FG_AbsentOrc / Fighters Guild: An Absent Orc

TO-DO IN FILE:
- add trapped doors to Seranassid (so that the cave is really "full of traps" and the orc sounds more reasonable).

STAGE 10: Amiro, Akamora's Fighter's Guild steward, tasked me with taking out a bandit gang in Seranassid. I should also try and find Hozgub gro-Hazor, an Orc who was sent on this mission before me. [Always try and hotlink the relevant topic titles from the first quest entry, so that the player can click them and bring up the relevant dialogue whenever they want.]

STAGE 20: Hozgub is staying at the Inn Between. I might want to question him about the job.
[This is set by either coming close to Hozgub or talking to anyone else in the Inn about him.]

STAGE 25: Hozgub had indeed attempted an assault on Seranassid, but found himself trapped and had to teleport out. He is not planning to return and blames the Guild for not preparing him appropriately.

STAGE 27: Amiro was not happy to hear of Hozgub's resignation. I am to finish the job myself.

STAGE 30: The bandits in Seranassid have been killed.

STAGE 35: Hozgub congratulated me on finishing his task. He is not planning to do any further work for the Guild, though.

STAGE 100: Amiro has rewarded me with 400 drakes from the funds of Revas Baldaren. [Unless the source of the prize money is important, just 'For completing the Seranassid contract, Amiro rewarded me with 400 drakes.' is fine.

[NOTE: These stages will not always be updated in ascending order. So whether or not the player has asked Hozgub about his resignation will not be checked by quest stage, but rather by a local variable on Amiro which is referenced from Hozgub's dialogue result scripts.]

AMIRO / ORDERS (if bandits are not dead yet): A while ago I assigned this job to Hozgub gro-Hazor, an Associate in our guild. Revas Baldaren, the publican at the Inn Between not far from Akamora, has been reporting robberies on his patrons. Whilst the Inn is a favourite with adventurers, this isn't the kind of adventure they come for, so we need to put an end to it. The brigands are supposedly based not far from the inn, in a cave called [Seranassid]. It's been a while now since we've had any news from Hozgub, but the reports from Revas Baldaren continue. So this is your second task: [find Hozgub].
[set stage 10]

AMIRO / ORDERS (if bandits are dead already): [The same reply but without "the reports from Revas Baldaren continue".]
choice "I have already taken care of the robbers."
=> Good news, %PCRank; Revas Baldaren has laid aside a reward for you. Yet, before I hand it over, you should [find Hozgub]. The Guild does not abandon its members.

[also, some straightforward replies between stages 10 and 100]

AMIRO / SERANASSID (if bandits are not dead yet, and Amiro doesn't know about Hozgub's resignation): From The Inn Between, head east, but stay north of the ashen hill that is home to the Arkgnthleft ruin. At some point you will see a cave entrance at the foot of a rock. This is where the outlaws were last seen. Be careful: if Hozgub failed at this, it will likely not be very easy.

AMIRO / SERANASSID (if bandits are not dead yet, but Amiro knows about Hozgub's resignation): [the same answer but without the last sentence]

AMIRO / SERANASSID (if bandits are dead, but Amiro doesn't yet know about Hozgub's resignation): Good news, %PCRank; Revas Baldaren has laid aside a reward for you. Yet, before I hand it over, you should [find Hozgub]. The Guild does not abandon its members.

AMIRO / SERANASSID (if bandits are dead and Amiro knows about Hozgub's resignation): So you prevailed where Hozgub didn't have the guts. At least he didn't join the brigands! Good to know that one of you is reliable. Here, the bounty set by Revas; it's yours now. If you want more orders, let me know.

AMIRO / FIND HOZGUB (if he has not been found yet): I gave him the same directions as I gave you, so you may want to ask around the Inn Between whether he has been seen passing through. That's unless you find him in the cave... But I'll hope for the best.

AMIRO / FIND HOZGUB (if orc has been found but not questioned): Hozgub is in the Inn? That's not even far away from Seranassid. I want to know what has been keeping him from doing his duties.

AMIRO / FIND HOZGUB (if orc has been questioned but Amiro doesn't yet know that the bandits are dead): I sent him to help the Inn against the robberies, and he's just slacking off? For the equipment we gave him he could have very well afforded a few lockpicks and probes. Well, not everyone can be trusted with responsibility, or we wouldn't need this guild to begin with. How about you: did you clear [Seranassid] of the bandits?

AMIRO / FIND HOZGUB (if orc has been questioned and Amiro knows that the bandits are dead): I sent him to help the Inn against the robberies, and he's just slacking off? For the equipment we gave him he could have very well afforded a few lockpicks and probes. Well, not everyone can be trusted with responsibility, or we wouldn't need this guild to begin with. At least he didn't join the bandits! Revas offered a bounty; it's yours now. If you want more orders, let me know.

HOZGUB / BACKGROUND (replacing the current one): Name's Hozgub gro-Hazor, an Associate in the Fighters' Guild. Well, used to be one. By now, they have probably expelled me for dereliction of duty. Not that I care much.

HOZGUB / SERANASSID (if bandits are not dead): It's a cave southeast of the Dwemer ruin of Arkgnthleft. I have been there, briefly. Fell into a pit and had to escape by teleportation. Stay on guard if you're going there; the bandits are good at using traps.

HOZGUB / SERANASSID (if bandits are dead): You killed them? Good work. I hope they'll pay you well.

HOZGUB / FIND HOZGUB: Here, you found me. How kind of Amiro to send a search party after me. It would have been better if he had given me the right equipment to begin with. The place is full of traps and the bandits shoot from behind locked doors, yet Amiro acts like it's just a pest problem. Tell Amiro he need not worry about me; I'm not going back to the cave, at least not for him. No hard feelings -- I'm just no longer with the Guild.
choices:
1 "Should I tell Revas that you were supposed to help him against the robbers?"
2 "I see." (only if bandits are not dead yet)
3 "I see. I have cleared that cave."
Answer to 1: "You don't intimidate me. He knows, anyway." (maybe -1 dispo)
Answer to 2: "Good. Let me know if you need directions to [Seranassid], but you'll have to get there on your own."
Answer to 3: "Good work. Maybe you'll have better luck with the Guild than I did."

EIFID / FIND HOZGUB: Why? He's no vampire.

EVERYONE ELSE IN THE INN / FIND HOZGUB: He should be on the ground floor, near the entrance. Rather hard to miss.

BARO KELAIUS / SERANASSID (if bandits are not dead): You're from the Fighters' Guild? Yes, that's the cave you are looking for; its entrance is northeast from the entrance of Arkngthleft. The bandits started with burglaries in the Inn and I'm regretting that I didn't end this when I had the chance, because now they are assaulting our guests on the roads outside of the Inn. One of them is a mage, so be prepared.

BARO KELAIUS / SERANASSID (if bandits are dead but stage isn't 100 yet): Finally they've been dealt with! You have my thanks. You can collect the bounty at the guildhouse in Akamora.

EVERYONE ELSE IN THE INN (EXCEPT EIFID) / SERANASSID (if bandits are not dead): A cave due east and a little bit south from here. Ask Baro for better directions.
Last edited by Bloodthirsty Crustacean on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

BC, thank you! I'm going to start implementing this later today or tomorrow.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Thanks for ninja-making-my-job-easier as always BC! Your edits look good to me. Maybe change "So this is your second task: [find Hozgub]." to "So your second task is to [find Hozgub.]" The abundance of colons looks a bit strange to me, but I suppose it's alright.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Why, no probs and that edit is also good.

Just a note that the few places where I've had to delete a word aren't marked because this forum seems to have no strikethrough bb code, so it'll be easiest to just copy and paste from my post.

Good work again, Arvis, and speedy too! :)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

I've uploaded an untested version with the first quest working [TR_q2-27-arv1.ESP]. Comments are welcome! Thanks for all the help so far, BC, Why, Mwgek and Yeti.

The next quest in my plan is #3. It should normally go very quick, but I just realized that this St. Delyn statue makes no sense without a shrine (the kind you do pilgrimages to), and I'm not able to think of a good name and messagebox for that shrine. Can anyone competent at Dunmeri religion step in?

Also, do you know of anything path description simpler than this here:

The shrine is not far away from Akamora, but given the difficulty of the terrain this probably won't help you much. Let me try to give some directions; do write them down. Take the south road out of Akamora, passing the silt strider port to your right and not taking forks. The road will turn southeast by the Teeth of Stone -- two rock formations, each consisting of an arch and several stalagmites underpinning it. Once you've passed the second of these, do not follow the road, but instead turn south again. As soon as it is possible, turn west. After some steps you should have reached the entrance of Kodasha Egg Mine; go further west until you find a hillside that you can scale to your left. Scale it and climb down on the other side. You should end up in an isolated vale which leads into a cave. A ladder on the other side of the cave will lead you to the Shrine.

Oh, and I've called the quest "Fighters Guild: Beleaguered Sanctuary". And the quest with the absent orc is "Fighters Guild: Belated Service". Any better suggestions are welcomed. The alliteration is certainly not intentional.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

New version up, with two quests [TR_q2-27-arvisrend2.ESP]. What remains is the hard one (slave hunting). If you want to quickly try out my quests, "coe 30 -15" comes in handy (that teleports you pretty close to the bandit at the shrine).

Needless to say, Lazorcat is a placeholder name, and the shrine messages are placeholder text. Adanorcil would probably be the right person to write those.

Now that I'm thinking of it, the slave capturing quest doesn't make much sense with the Tiranat-Parys egg mine: they don't use any slaves down there. I'm thinking of making the following changes:

- The slaves will be from the Aravel-Senim egg mine (which btw needs a few more miners and a couple of guards/overseers; there's enough space).

- Amiro will tell you to NOT ask the overseers or the nobles about the slaves, but to ask other slaves instead. If you just free the slaves without having asked any of the overseers, Laalalvo won't be happy and you won't get a reward, but no other penalties will happen. But if you make the mistake of asking the overseers before freeing the slaves (or telling them that you freed the slaves), Laalalvo is seriously angry and doesn't let you do her q2-29 quests until you're done with q2-28, and also hides the equipment chest until the end of the questline. (The last thing needs some editing to Mainland.)

Any comments?
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

arvisrend wrote: Now that I'm thinking of it, the slave capturing quest doesn't make much sense with the Tiranat-Parys egg mine: they don't use any slaves down there.
The reason they don't have any slaves there is that the ones they did have there all escaped. :)
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Well, the mine has Dunmeri workers. I kind-of understand that a mine that uses slaves competes with a mine that uses paid workers (slaves are cheaper but far less efficient), but I fear that slaves and paid workers cannot coexist for long at the same workplace without conflict breaking loose. But let someone more familiar with history step in here.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Also I hope you did not make those two words in BCs suggestion use British English. "favourite" should be favorite, and "Whilst" should be "While".
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

I've just uploaded a minor fix (correcting BC's British English and making sure that the "orders" topic always has at least one valid response, lest some generic "I have no work for you" response to be introduced later come up earlier than it should).

I've not started implementing the slave-hunting quest because I am still trying to change it. Here is my current version of the quest plan:

The slaves are from the Aravel-Senim egg mine. They are hiding in front of the Miner's Residence (the entrance towards the mine side, not towards the city side) and they're stuck there because they can't go back (there's a guard on the nearest crossing), but they can't get on the other side since they can't pick the lock or climb on the roof (the Khajiit is sick). They ask you to unlock the door or distract the guard. (Let's not have them ask you bring them weapons and potions; there are way too many of them to condition for. "Bring me an iron shortsword, no daedric, no ebony" is stupid, and Morrowind knows no object variables.)

Either way works, and either way makes you "fail" the quest:

- If you distract the guard (through dialogue), the slaves escape, but the guard realizes you were helping free the slaves, and Laalalvo is not amused (no quests until you are done with Circus; no reward).

- If you unlock the door, they go into the Miners' Residence and find a guard awaiting them in there. Of course, your talk has been overheard and you get a bounty. Laalalvo is REALLY not amused (no quests until you are done with Circus; no reward; no equipment chest until end of the questline; and no, they're not paying your bounty).

------

Just the first dialogue response. Any ideas how to make it shorter without having it lose some of its content?

AMIRO / ORDERS:
You have been doing fairly well so far. What comes now is going to be more difficult. Let me put things in their context: Laalalvo has been working hard to make our Guild more accepted among the Dunmeri populace of Akamora and its surroundings; the orders to clear the Shrine of Lazorcat were just a small step in these efforts. Now the harvest of these policies is coming together and we are getting contracts we could not have dreamed of a few years ago.

[at this place, force-continue even if it's not strictly needed]
There is a downside to this; we are now also starting to get contracts that we would be much better off without. None other than Vaveli Senim, wife to one of the most powerful nobles in town, wants us to capture two slaves, Heel-Kur and Lijarra, that have absconded from the Aravel-Senim Egg Mines. Capture and return, mind you; I have no idea what will happen to them on their return, but I fear it won't likely be anything honorable, although legal by the laws of this land. Our Guild is an Imperial institution, and our responsibilities are not merely towards our clients. [TODO the last part of the previous sentence doesn't sound well; it would make more sense in German]

[choice "What are you hinting at?"]
This is probably a question with no good answer. If you ask Laalalvo, we should do what we are told and don't ask too many questions. I, personally, think that unless the slaves come at you with knives at first sight, you should give them a chance to escape. Discreetly and without much ado, particularly without notifying any of the guards or the noble families about your part in all of this. Try to learn about the location of the slaves from the other slaves in the mine, or from other miners around; DO NOT ask any guards or the Aravel and Senim nobles. This way we will not get any bounty, but at least we will have saved our face, and there will be no proof of our disloyalty where inability would be just as good an explanation. After all, who says Heel-Kur and Lijarra are not already in Argonia?

I am not pressing you to decide for this or the other option. But you will have to decide, and I fear there will be no right way. I can but hope that you rely on your wisdom and your heart in this, and that they don't deceive you.

-- Note that "Heel-Kur and Lijarra" is going to be the name of the main topic for this quest, unless the names suck.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

I still can't believe any civilized people would turn away from "whilst". The Comte de Buffon was right. :P

This dialogue is fine being long, it's filled with interesting story and detail. Tried to cut down on some of the words at the end. Here's a 'naturalized' version:
arvisrend wrote:AMIRO / ORDERS:
You've been doing fairly well so far. Our next move is more difficult. Let me explain. Laalalvo has been working hard to make our Guild more accepted among the Dunmeri populace of Akamora and its surroundings; the orders to clear the Shrine of Lazorcat were just a small step in these efforts. Now we're seeing the results, and are getting contracts we could not have dreamed of a few years ago. But there is a downside to this; we are now also starting to get contracts that we would be much better off without.

[Rather than a continue, maybe introduce the specific topic here - e.g. "I'm talking about Heel-Kur and Lijarra." or "...starting to get some [complicated contract]s"]

[at this place, force-continue even if it's not strictly needed]
None other than Vaveli Senim, wife to one of the most powerful nobles in town, wants us to capture two slaves, Heel-Kur and Lijarra, who have absconded from the Aravel-Senim Egg Mines. Capture and return, mind you. I have no idea what will happen to them on their return, but I fear it likely won't be anything honorable, even if legal among the Dunmer. Our Guild is an Imperial institution, and our responsibilities are not merely towards our clients.

[choice "What are you suggesting?"]
There is no simple answer. If you ask Laalalvo, we should do what we're told and not ask too many questions. I, personally, think that unless the slaves come at you with knives at first sight, you should give them a chance to escape. Discreetly, and particularly without notifying any of the guards or the noble families about your part in all of this. Try to learn about the location of the slaves from the other slaves in the mine, or from other miners around; do not ask any guards or the Aravel and Senim nobles. We sacrifice our reward, but we preserve our integrity, and there will be no proof of our disloyalty. After all, who is to say Heel-Kur and Lijarra are not already in Argonia?

How you handle this is up to you. But you will have to decide, and I fear there is no obvious course. I can only hope that you rely on your wisdom and your honor. Good luck.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

I've adjusted the Mainland to my quests:
arvisrend wrote:The Akamora Fighters' Guild equipment chest is now a different container than the rest. Again, this is for my quest claim (and q2-29).

NPC "TR_M2_Narsuli Zuls" is no longer a worker in the Aravel-Senim Eggmine in Akamora, but rather an overseer now. Workers and slaves shouldn't appear in the same place.
... and the quests to the new Mainland. (The shrine is now the Shrine of Hindsight, no Lazorcats anymore.) Some discussions with Why in the channel led to a new version of the quest design, which I am too tired to post now. Otherwise, nothing done today.

Thanks for the rewriting, BC. And if you ask me, we should be using "whilst" all over the game, but it seems that "while" is the more frequent word in vanilla.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

It just sounds weird when you try its other uses... "meanwhilst" or "to whilst away the hours" or "all the whilst..." :-P
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

I see nothing wrong with using 'whilst', but I live in a country where some people still say 'thee' and 'thou'.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

The quest stages are complete, but the dialogue is not. Any comments are welcome. Sorry for the length (which is yet to increase); I absolutely didn't set out to write another Killing-the-Messenger, but somehow the quest has been getting longer and longer all the time.

If you don't want to read this all (which I perfectly understand), I'd love it if you could read the dialogue for nobles and slaves. This is what I'm worst at.

-----------------

TR_m2_FG_Amiro3

After some more discussions with Why, the quest has been redesigned again. The "fleeing through the hut" option is no longer possible since the hut doesn't lead anywhere (it's a dead-end, despite having two exits).

STAGE 10: The Fighters Guild has been contracted with returning two slaves who have absconded from the Akamora egg mines: an Argonian named Heel-Kur, and a Khajiit called Lijarra. Amiro is not sure what to make of such a contract, and has urged me to give the slaves a chance to escape while maintaining plausible deniability. I should not talk to guards or to any one from the houses Senim and Aravel, who own the mine, about the missing slaves.

STAGE 11 (purely optional, caused by talking to Laalalvo): Laalalvo Irano, the guildmaster of the Akamora Fighters Guild, has warned me about taking Amiro's instructions to heart. If the slaves manage to escape with my help, the credit of the Fighters Guild will be tainted.

STAGE 20: A miner from the Tiranat-Parys egg mine has seen an Argonian and a Khajiit running west bound in the direction of the Miner's Residence hut.

STAGE 40: I have offered Heel-Kur assistance with his and Lijarra's escape. I am either to bring the slaves two invisibility potions (quality or higher), or to distract the guard stationed at the crossing by dropping the slave bracer key in the Indaren-Veri egg mine and tipping him off. If I am not to attract the attention of any guards, I should go with the first option.

STAGE 50: I have dropped the slaves' key in the Indaren-Veri egg mine.

STAGE 55: The false trail has been laid. I should return to Lijarra and Heel-Kur in their hut.

STAGE 70: By the sacrifice of two invisibility potions, I have saved Lijarra and Heel-Kur.

STAGE 100: Amiro was delighted to see that I have saved both the face and the honor of the Akamora Fighters Guild. Laalalvo was less enthuastic, but gave me credit for doing it discreetly and not leaving evidence behind. I am to get further work directly from her or from Circus Leonos.

STAGE 120: Amiro was delighted to see that I have not let loyalty overshadow my judgment; however, Laalalvo did not agree, and has removed my equipment chest allegedly in order to compensate for the losses I brought about for the Fighters Guild. I should get my next orders from Circus Leonos; Laalalvo does not yet consider me capable of her tasks.

STAGE 140: Amiro was delighted to see that I have not let loyalty overshadow my judgment; however, Laalalvo was seriously angered about my handling of the job, claiming that the setup has been seen through and has stirred up the Aravel, Senim, Indaren and Veri houses against the Guild. She has removed my equipment chest allegedly in order to compensate for the losses I brought about for the Guild. Circus Leonos will give me my next orders.

STAGE 160: While I have done my job to the probable delight of Amiro, he was nowhere to be found when I returned to the Guild. Instead, Laalalvo yelled at me. Supposedly, I have RUINED THE FRUITS OF YEARS OF WORK AND DIPLOMACY and ENSURED THAT THE BRIEF IMPERIAL PRESENCE IN AKAMORA WOULD SOON BE OVER as THE AGE OF TOLERANCE WAS NEARING ITS END. Looks like freeing the remaining slaves with the stolen key was too much. There are no more orders for me in Akamora.

STAGE 200: I have forced Heel-Kur to come with me. Lijarra didn't take well to returning and had to be killed. Now I should go back to the mine.

STAGE 205: I have turned Heel-Kur in. Amiro is unlikely to be enthusiastic about this turn of events, but I should get the payment for the contract.

STAGE 210: I have betrayed Heel-Kur and Lijarra to the guards. They will take care of the returning.

STAGE 211: I have betrayed Heel-Kur and Lijarra to the owners of the mine. They will take care of the returning.

STAGE 220: With gnashing teeth, Amiro has given me the distinctly high bounty for this job. I am to get further jobs from Circus Leonos and Laalalvo Irano.

STAGE 221: Laalalvo Irano was delighted to see that I didn't let Amiro sway me into letting the slaves escape.

AMIRO / ORDERS:

You've been doing fairly well so far. Our next move is more difficult. Let me explain. Laalalvo has been working hard to make our Guild more accepted among the Dunmeri populace of Akamora and its surroundings; the orders to clear the Shrine of Lazorcat were just a small step in these efforts. Now we're seeing the results, and are getting contracts we could not have dreamed of a few years ago. But there is a downside to this; we are now also starting to get contracts that we would be much better off without. We have been asked to capture two slaves who have absconded from the Akamora egg mines.

;absconded from the Akamora egg mines

AMIRO / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

None other than Vaveli Senim, wife to one of the most powerful nobles in town, wants us to capture two slaves, Heel-Kur and Lijarra, who have absconded from the Aravel-Senim Egg Mines. Capture and return, mind you. I have no idea what will happen to them on their return, but I fear it likely won't be anything honorable, even if legal among the Dunmer. Our Guild is an Imperial institution, and our responsibilities are not merely towards our clients.

There is no simple answer. If you ask Laalalvo, we should do what we're told and not ask too many questions. I, personally, think that unless the slaves come at you with knives at first sight, you should give them a chance to escape. Discreetly, and particularly without notifying any of the guards or the noble families about your part in all of this. Try to learn about the location of the slaves from the other slaves in the mine, or from other miners around; in no case ask any guards or the Aravel and Senim nobles. We sacrifice our reward, but we preserve our integrity, and there will be no proof of our disloyalty unless you provide it yourself. After all, who is to say Heel-Kur and Lijarra are not already in Argonia?

How you handle this is up to you. But you will have to decide, and I fear there is no obvious course. I can only hope that you rely on your wisdom and your honor. Good luck.

[setstage 10]
[enable slave bracers and key on the table in the hut]
[enable escaped slaves in hut]
[move guard to crossing and unlock both(!) doors of the hut]

LAALALVO / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines" (once stage is 10 or more):

I'm glad you asked me for a second opinion. Amiro is a foreigner and, despite him being one of the best trainers this Guildhouse has seen, there are things better left to natives to explain. Any attempts on your side to help the slaves escape will not be of any help to you, nor to the reputation of our Guild, nor to the situation of outlanders in this town, if this is what you are worried about. In fact, I cannot even rule out that this contract is a ploy by the nobility of Akamora to test our loyalty. There are no options here; the contract is crystal clear. I am disappointed that Amiro failed to understand this; it seems that I shouldn't have trusted him with assigning this job.

[setstage 11]

DUNEL GITHRANO [Tiranat-Parys egg mine] / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

I've been staying inside most of the time, and no, I haven't seen them in here. Ask Ervona Nethani; she works deeper in the mine, but she might have been outside back when they were making their escape.

ERVONA NETHANI [Tiranat-Parys egg mine] / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines" (dispo lower than 70):

See, I'm not exactly getting paid for talking to strangers here, particularly when they're working for the competition. And frankly, I don't like you enough to hand you that information for free. Then again, you might be able to improve that situation... I didn't mean the payment one, though. Or did I?

ERVONA NETHANI [Tiranat-Parys egg mine] / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines" (dispo from 70 on):

Indeed, an Argonian and a Khajiit--slaves, probably--have been running past this mine some time ago. They were running westwards, towards the miners' residence hut on top of the hill. It's a dead end, so I haven't thought they would be trying to escape that way. Not that I'd have cared otherwise.

[setstage 20]

DUNMER IN INDAREN-VERI EGG MINE / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

The slaves from Aravel-Senim? No, they don't even come close to here. And if you ask me, that's a good thing.

CABANJI (Khajiit slave in Indaren-Veri egg mine) / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

Cabanji has never heard the names. Why do you ask Cabanji?

HUULEM (Argonian slave in Indaren-Veri egg mine) / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

I haven't seen them. Also, noone would flee this way. Too many guards here.

ANY GUARD IN "AKAMORA, MINES" AND ALSO THE ONE AT THE CROSSING / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

Ah, you are the one the Fighters Guild sent. They were new to the mine, bought just a while before, and the lands around Akamora are pretty hard to navigate, so chances are they haven't got far. There are only two ways out of this valley, a northern and a southern one; one passes by the Indaren-Veri, the other by the Tiranat-Parys egg mine. If I was to flee, I'd try the latter. Maybe ask the miners in there whether they've seen them passing by.
[set TR_m2_Amiro.coverblown to 1]

ANYONE ELSE IN "AKAMORA, MINES" EXT CELL / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

They were new around here; I don't know what they had on their minds. My bet is they went south.

ANYONE (NON-SLAVE) IN SENIM MANOR / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

Yes, we are missing two slaves. Not that they were of much use, but we must avoid setting a precedent at all costs. The mine, along with several others, is located in a vale straight east of town. It's Speak with the miners, speak with the guards, speak with everyone; someone will surely have seen them. Here is hoping that you and the Fighters Guild will not disappoint us.

ANYONE IN ARAVEL MANOR / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

Two slaves have gone "missing" from the mines. You should see it for yourself and ask around; to get to the mines, exit Akamora to the east, by the long bridge. You and your Guild are in for a fine reward.

WALKS-IN-DARK (Argonian slave in Aravel-Senim egg mine) / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

You must be talking about Heel-Kur and Lijarra. Didn't stand even five days in the mine, and stole the keys to everyone's slave bracers. We have no idea where they went. If you find them, you will bring back the keys, won't you?

UTA-TE (Argonian slave in Aravel-Senim egg mine) / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

Didn't see anything. Didn't hear anything. And even if I did, I wouldn't tell.

NARSULI ZULS (overseer in Aravel-Senim egg mine) / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

You are from the Fighters Guild, so I can tell you the details. Not only did they flee, they also took the keys to the slave bracers with them. It's not like we have no spare ones, but we cannot afford having this one... circulate among the wrong people. Talk to everyone in this vale. It can't be that nobody saw them make off!

---
Now, to the dialogue in the Miner's Residence. Note that the slave bracers of both slaves, along with the stolen key, lie on the table but cannot be activated.

LIJARRA / GREETING 1:

[Lijarra stares at you without saying a word. She looks emaciated and worn out.]

[Goodbye; set a flag on Heel-Kur that makes him forcegreet you once you leave conversation.]

HEEL-KUR / FORCEGREETING AFTER YOU TALKED TO LIJARRA:

Lijarra is exhausted. What do you want of her? Why are you here?

HEEL-KUR / GREETING 1 (otherwise):

What do you want of her? What are you doing here?

HEEL-KUR / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

Yes. That's us. And you, you are an outlander and yet you are seeking us out... Are you here to help us escape this torment?

choice "Yes. How can I help?" 1 "No. Actually, I am here to return you to your rightful owners. [Force slave bracers back on Heel-Kur.]" 2

HEEL-KUR / CHOICE 1:

I can think of two ways. Why don't you take the key to these bracers and drop it somewhere in the Indaren-Veri egg mine? And give the guard stationed at the crossing a "tip"? They will be combing the wrong end of the valley. Or you could bring us two strong invisibility potions--quality should suffice, so we can get past the patrols. Whatever to do, it's a pity but I will not lie, we cannot reward you in any way. May the Nine bless you.
[player gets slavebracer key, slavebracer key on table disabled]
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Feel free to use a more loose style of writing in places - after all, all the dialog is spoken language.
arvisrend wrote:The quest stages are complete, but the dialogue is not. Any comments are welcome. Sorry for the length (which is yet to increase); I absolutely didn't set out to write another Killing-the-Messenger, but somehow the quest has been getting longer and longer all the time.

If you don't want to read this all (which I perfectly understand), I'd love it if you could read the dialogue for nobles and slaves. This is what I'm worst at.

-----------------

TR_m2_FG_Amiro3

After some more discussions with Why, the quest has been redesigned again. The "fleeing through the hut" option is no longer possible since the hut doesn't lead anywhere (it's a dead-end, despite having two exits).

STAGE 10: The Fighters Guild has been contracted to catch two slaves who have absconded from the Akamora egg mines: an Argonian named Heel-Kur, and a Khajiit called Lijarra. However, Amiro is not a supporter of slavery, and has urged me to give the slaves a chance to escape while maintaining plausible deniability. If I choose to help the slaves rather than catch them I should not talk to guards or anyone from the houses Senim and Aravel, who own the mine, about the missing slaves.

STAGE 11 (purely optional, caused by talking to Laalalvo): Laalalvo Irano, the guildmaster of the Akamora Fighters Guild, has warned me about taking Amiro's instructions to heart. If the slaves manage to escape with my help, the reputation of the Fighters Guild will be damaged. She urged me not to help the slaves.

STAGE 20: A miner from the Tiranat-Parys egg mine has seen an Argonian and a Khajiit running west bound in the direction of the Miner's Residence hut.

STAGE 40: I have offered Heel-Kur assistance with his and Lijarra's escape. I am either to bring the slaves two invisibility potions (quality or higher), or to distract the guard stationed at the crossing by dropping the slave bracer key in the Indaren-Veri egg mine and tipping him off. If I am not to attract the attention of any guards, I should go with the first option. <-- maybe you should make this less obvious in the journal. Would anyone take this option on purpose?

STAGE 50: I have dropped the slaves' key in the Indaren-Veri egg mine.

STAGE 55: The false trail has been laid. I should return to Lijarra and Heel-Kur in their hut.

STAGE 70: I have given Lijarra and Heel-Kur potions of invisibility.

STAGE 100: Amiro was delighted to hear that I decided to help the slaves escape. Laalalvo was less enthuastic, but gave me credit for doing it discreetly. I am to get further work directly from her or from Circus Leonos.

STAGE 120: Amiro was delighted to see that I have not let loyalty overshadow my judgment; however, Laalalvo did not agree, and has removed my equipment chest allegedly in order to compensate for the losses I brought about for the Fighters Guild. I should get my next orders from Circus Leonos; Laalalvo does not yet consider me capable of her tasks. <--These are some very strange sentences, but without knowing the exact context I can't fix them.

STAGE 140: Amiro was delighted to see that I have not let loyalty cloud my judgment; however, Laalalvo was really angry about the way I handled the job, and told me that the Guild has lost the trust of the Houses Aravel, Senim, Indaren and Veri. <--Why all the houses? Certainly only the owners would be mad? These houses have a pretty big rivalry going on.She has revoked my access to the equipment chest and told me I'll need to regain her trust by working with Circus Leonos. <-- still not really happy with this last part.

STAGE 160: While I have done my job to the probable delight of Amiro, he was nowhere to be found when I returned to the Guild. Instead, Laalalvo yelled at me. Supposedly, I have RUINED THE FRUITS OF YEARS OF WORK AND DIPLOMACY and ENSURED THAT THE BRIEF IMPERIAL PRESENCE IN AKAMORA WOULD SOON BE OVER as THE AGE OF TOLERANCE WAS NEARING ITS END. Looks like freeing the remaining slaves with the stolen key was too much. There are no more orders for me in Akamora. Not sure about this entry, it's a bit extreme. Try simplifying it: "When I returned to the Guild, Amiro was nowhere to be found. Instead, Laalalvo yelled at me. She made it very clear that there will be no more work for me in Akamora."

STAGE 200: I have forced Heel-Kur to come with me. Lijarra didn't take well to returning and had to be killed. Now I should go back to the mine.

STAGE 205: I have turned Heel-Kur in. Amiro won't be very happy, but I should get the payment for the contract.

STAGE 210: I have betrayed Heel-Kur and Lijarra to the guards. They will take care of tracking them down.

STAGE 211: I have betrayed Heel-Kur and Lijarra to the owners of the mine. They will take care of tracking them down.

STAGE 220: While he was clearly unhappy, Amiro has given me the bounty for this job. Further orders are available from Circus Leonos and Laalalvo Irano.

STAGE 221: Laalalvo Irano was delighted to see that I didn't let Amiro sway me into letting the slaves escape.

AMIRO / ORDERS:

You've been doing fairly well so far. Our next move is more difficult. Let me explain. Laalalvo has been hard at work improving our Guild's relationship with the local Dark Elves; your [/b]orders to clear the Shrine of Hindsight were just a small step in this process. Now we're starting to see the results, and are getting contracts we would not have dared dream of a few years ago. But there is a downside to this; we are now also starting to get contracts that we would be much better off without. We have been asked to capture two slaves who have absconded from the Akamora egg mines.

;absconded from the Akamora egg mines

AMIRO / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

There is no simple answer. If you ask Laalalvo, she'd tell you we should do what we're told and not ask too many questions. I, personally, think that unless the slaves come at you with knives at first sight, you should give them a chance to escape. Discreetly, and particularly without notifying any of the guards or the noble families about your part in all of this. Try to learn about the location of the slaves from the other slaves in the mine, or from other miners around; in no case ask any guards or the Aravel and Senim nobles. We sacrifice our reward, but we preserve our integrity, and there will be no proof of our disloyalty unless you mess up. After all, who is to say Heel-Kur and Lijarra are not already in Argonia?

[setstage 10]
[enable slave bracers and key on the table in the hut]
[enable escaped slaves in hut]
[move guard to crossing and unlock both(!) doors of the hut]

LAALALVO / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines" (once stage is 10 or more):

I'm glad you asked me for a second opinion. Amiro is a foreigner and, despite him being one of the best trainers this Guildhouse has seen, there are things better left to natives to explain. Any attempts to help the slaves escape will not be of any help to you, nor to the reputation of our Guild, nor to the situation of outlanders in this town. In fact, I cannot even rule out that this contract is a ploy by the nobility of Akamora to test our loyalty. There are no options here; the contract is crystal clear. I am disappointed that Amiro failed to understand this; it seems that I shouldn't have trusted him with assigning this job.

[setstage 11]

DUNEL GITHRANO [Tiranat-Parys egg mine] / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

I've been staying inside most of the time, and no, I haven't seen them in here. Ask Ervona Nethani; she works deeper in the mine, but she might have been outside back when they were making their escape.

ERVONA NETHANI [Tiranat-Parys egg mine] / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines" (dispo lower than 70):

See, I'm not exactly getting paid for talking to strangers here, particularly when they're working for the competition. And frankly, I don't like you enough to hand you that information for free. Then again, you might be able to improve that situation... I didn't mean the payment one, though. Or did I?

ERVONA NETHANI [Tiranat-Parys egg mine] / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines" (dispo from 70 on):

Indeed, an Argonian and a Khajiit--slaves, probably--have been running past this mine some time ago. They were running westwards, towards the hut on top of the hill. It's a dead end, so I didn't assume they were trying to escape. Not that I'd have cared anyway.

[setstage 20]

DUNMER IN INDAREN-VERI EGG MINE / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

The slaves from Aravel-Senim? No, they don't ever come close to here. And if you ask me, that's a good thing. <-- still a bit unclear what he's implying

CABANJI (Khajiit slave in Indaren-Veri egg mine) / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

Cabanji has never heard the names. Why do you ask Cabanji?

HUULEM (Argonian slave in Indaren-Veri egg mine) / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

I haven't seen them. Also, no one would flee this way. Too many guards here.

ANY GUARD IN "AKAMORA, MINES" AND ALSO THE ONE AT THE CROSSING / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

Ah, you are the one the Fighters Guild sent. They were new to the mine, bought just a while before, and the lands around Akamora are pretty hard to navigate, so chances are they didn't go far. There are only two ways out of this valley, through the northern and the southern exits; one passes by the Indaren-Veri, the other by the Tiranat-Parys egg mine. If I was to flee, I'd try the latter. Maybe ask the miners in there whether they've seen them passing by.

ANYONE ELSE IN "AKAMORA, MINES" EXT CELL / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

They were new around here; I don't know what they had on their minds. My bet is they went south.

ANYONE (NON-SLAVE) IN SENIM MANOR / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

Yes, we are missing two slaves. Not that they were of much use, but we must avoid setting a precedent at all costs. The mine, along with several others, is located in a vale straight east of town. Ask around, someone is sure to have seen them. Here's hoping that you and the Fighters Guild don't disappoint us.

ANYONE IN ARAVEL MANOR / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

Two slaves have gone "missing" from the mines. You should see it for yourself and ask around; to get to the mines, exit Akamora to the east, by the long bridge. You and your Guild are in for a fine reward if you manage to track them down.

WALKS-IN-DARK (Argonian slave in Aravel-Senim egg mine) / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

You must be talking about Heel-Kur and Lijarra. Didn't last five days in the mine, and stole the keys to everyone's slave bracers. We have no idea where they went. If you find them, you will bring back the keys, won't you?

UTA-TE (Argonian slave in Aravel-Senim egg mine) / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

Didn't see anything. Didn't hear anything. And even if I did, I wouldn't tell.

NARSULI ZULS (overseer in Aravel-Senim egg mine) / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

Since you're from the Fighters Guild, I can tell you the details. Not only did they flee, they also took the keys to the slave bracers with them. It's not like we have no spare ones, but we cannot afford having this one... circulate. Talk to everyone in this vale. It can't be that nobody saw them make off!

---
Now, to the dialogue in the Miner's Residence. Note that the slave bracers of both slaves, along with the stolen key, lie on the table but cannot be activated.

LIJARRA / GREETING 1:

[Lijarra stares at you without saying a word. She looks emaciated and worn out.]

[Goodbye; set a flag on Heel-Kur that makes him forcegreet you once you leave conversation.]

HEEL-KUR / FORCEGREETING AFTER YOU TALKED TO LIJARRA:

Lijarra is exhausted. What do you want of her? Why are you here?

HEEL-KUR / GREETING 1 (otherwise):

What do you want of her? What are you doing here?

HEEL-KUR / "absconded from the Akamora egg mines":

Yes. That's us. And you, you are an outlander and yet you are seeking us out... Are you here to help us escape this torment?

choice "Yes. How can I help?" 1 "No. Actually, I am here to return you to your rightful owners. [Force slave bracers back on Heel-Kur.]" 2

HEEL-KUR / CHOICE 1:

Thank you, %PCRace! or something along those lines. I can think of two ways. Why don't you take the key to these bracers and drop it somewhere in the Indaren-Veri egg mine? And give the guard stationed at the crossing a "tip"? They will be combing the wrong end of the valley. Or you could bring us two strong invisibility potions--quality should suffice what?, so we can get past the patrols. We have nothing to reward you with, but know that you have our eternal gratitude. or something along those lines.
[player gets slavebracer key, slavebracer key on table disabled]
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Alright, here's a claim almost done. Testing highly welcomed. Please use the newest version of the Mainland (the one in the internal thread).

Three things are missing:

- Post-quest replies to the "absconded from the Akamora egg mine" topic for the Senim and Aravel nobles, to give some context and opinion (nothing important). As I said, I'm very bad at writing noble dialogue, so I'd rather have someone else do that. Of course, there is no strict necessity to have this kind of dialogue at all.

- Post-quest replies to the "absconded from the Akamora egg mine" topic for Laalalvo. I just forgot those; will be added with the next edit.

- The quest doesn't yet take notice if you kill Heel-Kur (which you are not asked to do by anyone, but you might end up doing when Lijarra attacks you and Heel-Kur gets in the way). I don't really know how people should react to that. Suggestions, please!

Thanks to Why, BC and anyone else for the dialogue review done so far.
Last edited by arvisrend on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Update, to be used with new mainland esp only. I don't know why it gets shown beneath the previous version...

There is now a failstate if Heel-Kur dies. Unfortunately, the method I'm using to prevent it from wrongly triggering (when creatures on the road kill Heel-Kur) is somewhat dirty right now, so I might end up changing it.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Declaring this as finished.

Still missing are post-quest replies to the "absconded from the Akamora egg mine" topic for the Senim and Aravel nobles, to give some context and opinion (nothing important). As I said, I'm very bad at writing noble dialogue, so I'd rather have someone else do that. Of course, there is no strict necessity to have this kind of dialogue at all.

NOTES TO TESTERS/REVIEWERS

EDIT: The newest file is found in the posts below, NOT in the list at the beginning of this topic.

Use the [url=http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=307125#307125]newest Mainland ESP[/url].

There are 3 quests.

The first one is rather straightforward, but there are two objectives (find the orc and kill the bandits). They should be doable in any order. Killing the bandits before the quest should work, too.

The second one is very straightforward. If you don't want the hassle of following the directions, "coe 30 -15". But this way I won't know whether the directions are any good :( . Killing the outlaw before the quest should give different dialogue.

The third one has seven different solutions:

1) Hand potions to the slaves; don't talk with guards/nobles about them. Best possible outcome.

2) Hand potions to the slaves, but talk with guards/nobles about them before. Noticeably bad consequences.

3) Distract the guard to free the slaves. Seriously bad consequences.

4) Do any of the above, but also use the slave key to free any of the non-missing slaves from the mine. Extremely bad consequences, including Amiro getting fired and Laalalvo yelling at you. You get no more FG quests in Akamora.

5) Capture the slaves. Lijarra attacks you, Heel-Kur follows into the mine. Good consequences, although Amiro isn't happy.

6) Pretend to help the slaves but actually betray them to the guards or the overseer at the mine. Same consequences as 5).

7) Kill Heel-Kur. Nobody is happy about that and you get no more FG quests in Akamora.

Please check whether my moving around stuff in "Akamora, Miner's Residence" has caused any floaters, bleeders or illogical placement.

I've given the slaves what TR calls common clothes. I'm kinda unsure if they don't look a bit too exquisite...

NOTES TO THE MERGER

Slave and noble dialogue is probably subpar. Heel-Kur still talks like a philosopher; sorry, I can't do anything about this. Maybe you can make a virtue of necessity and give him a backstory as having had a more intellectual role in Argonian society? His parting words are a good place to put this. I have no idea about Argonians or I'd do that myself.

Freeing the two slaves starts the Twin Lamps quest no matter how many other slaves you've freed. If you think this makes finding the Twin Lamps too easy (I don't think so), remove the corresponding parts of Heel-Kur's "absconded from the Akamora egg mines" dialogue.

I'm kinda worried about the amount of Greeting-1's I have added, but I don't know how I could have done with less.

The equipment chest, if removed, should return with the last quest in q2-29. I've removed it by using disable and positioncell at the same time (since the effects of disable are occasionally ephemeral); likewise it should be put back.

"absconded from the Akamora egg mines" is a long name for a topic, but it avoids prefix conflicts.

The use of ALLCAPS in Laalalvo's greeting (and its quotes in the journal) is supposed to get a message across. If you find a better way to do it without using allcaps, feel free to change that.

Changes to the Tiranat-Parys egg mine should be merged into the Mainland. They make sure that the player can leave the mine without levitation or teleporting. Yeah, that wasn't the case. The mine is still a pain to navigate.

Changes to existing NPCs can be cleaned out, but then you'll have to manually do the following:

give NPC TR_m2_O_Tedril Draren the script TR_m2_q_27_TedrilSCN.
give NPC TR_m2_Hozgub gro-Hazor the script TR_m2_q_27_HozgubSCN.
give NPC TR_m2_Laalalvo_Irano the script TR_m2_q_27_LaalalvoSCN.
give NPC TR_m2_Amiro the script TR_m2_q_27_AmiroSCN.

Changes to existing dialogue: only the "Background" reply of NPC "TR_m2_Hozgub gro-Hazor" and possibly a reply to "Orders" of Laalalvo.

Upon merge, check that:
- the above-mentioned 4 NPCs have the above-mentioned scripts.
- Greetings 1 and 6 and topics "go free" and "Orders" haven't been borked. ("Borked" as in, replies getting out of order.)
Last edited by arvisrend on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

reviewsubmit
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Did a quick playthrough, it's unfortunately all I have time for right now. Raw observations, some not really relevant to the claim:
  • Akamora needs ShowMaps in dialog, maybe show Dun Akafell when asked about Inn Between. Maybe ShowMap Arkgnthleft in Hozgub's dialog, or any dialog that mentions it.

Seranassid: Hozgub sais southeast of Arkg, others say northeast. Tell the player there's no road, that'll make it a bit more clear. It's actually rather hard to find the cave. Random thought: make Hozgub lead the way? Might be very difficult to implement. I'll look into this later.

who the hell is Arodreth, do we use him in a quest? We should.

dridrea probably not nolore-filtered. It should be, maybe create a separate entry for guards (if those are still NoLore'd, which they probably shouldn't be.)

Who is Haefida? Use her in the MG questline?

the pond in front of the cave before the shrine is way, way too deep for static water. Excellent directions to the shrine by the way.

Give Amiro some greetings that link to the relevant quest topics. He'll want to know if you made progress. It's convenient for the player as well.

I feel we need some sort of contact at the mines for if you want to return the slaves. It's kind of unclear where to take them now. That, or improve the journal entry that pops up once you catch them a bit.

Maybe AITravel the slave further into the mine once you return him, just having him wander around the entrance is sort of strange.

Amiro nor Laalalvo would talk to me about the absconded slaves once I returned the Argonian. Probably a faulty condition somewhere in the dialog.
Sorry I couldn't be more thorough!
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Thanks a lot! Here's a minor update, fixing the path descriptions to Seranassid (no escorting, though) and adding a little bit of dialogue.

The mine needs a pathgrid. I guess I'll do it in the Mainland before I have to care about merge fuckups...
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Some more of Why's suggestions have been implemented:

There are ShowMaps to Arkgnthleft and the eggmines. Amiro has greeting-6s now to remind the player of the quests. Heel-Kur AITravels (and then AIWanders) when returned to the mine. For the AITravel to work, you need the new Mainland file (which can be found at http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=21859&start=360 ). The public 7/7/2012 file doesn't have the pathgrid necessary for the AITravel.

I think I'm done with the file now unless new bugs are found. Happy testing!

I hope the file can be merged soon, since both q2-28 and q2-29 need to build on it. (In the case of q2-28, it will be very easy to adjust it to q2-27, but in the case of q2-29 it will probably be much better to start with a mainland file which already has q2-27 merged into it.)

The remaining suggestions of Why's should be handled in the Mainland. I didn't want to change, e. g., the Dun Akafell topic to just change a greeting.
Attachments
dump2-27.txt
a plaintext dump of the file made with tes3cmd; good for finding NPCs or looking up quest stages
(168.03 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
TR_q2-27-arvisrend9.ESP
the ESP itself
(109.63 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

I've yet to be able to playtest, but this file here includes a couple more dialogue language fixes.

I did tone down the extent of Laalalvo's breakdown if the player really screws up the mission, in terms of the allcaps. The only time in the game anything comparable (and actually far less severe in terms of length and tone) happens is if the player intentionally screws up the Main Quest. Given that this is just a single faction job, it didn't seem appropriate.
Attachments
TR_q2-27-arvisrend9.ESP
(109.4 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Thanks a lot. Almost all of your replacements are better than my original dialogue, including some formulations that I have been looking for and failed to find.

One thing: You changed

"who is to say Heel-Kur and Lijarra are not already in Argonia and Elsweyr?"

into

"who is to say Heel-Kur and Lijarra are not already in Argonia?"

Ironically, this was how I wrote it originally, but then I thought that it might sound wrong since Lijarra is a Khajiit. If you think it's okay, though, then I'm happier with leaving out Elsweyr (it sounds better this way).
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Yep, it sounds better, and also gets away from the fantasy trope that races and their homelands are inseparable, something TES3 is normally quite good at averting.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

Post by Terrifying Daedric Foe »

I didn't recognise you at first, BC. Your new avatar is... different.
'The strange thing about TR is that I think it is by and large accepted that we will finish. We are all the sort of crazy people that would do such a thing. We are inevitable.' ~ Thrignar Fraxix