Translation to different languages (I can do it in Russian)

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Zurabman

Translation to different languages (I can do it in Russian)

Post by Zurabman »

Greetings! I would like to ask if anyone here does the translation.
I am Russian Morrowind fan and I am hooked on this lore, so it would be a great pleasure for me to translate these texts. I know that there is a hard work, but I am ready to form a team.
Can you tell me if anyone started doing it?
Your faith leads to a miracle.
Nerano
Developer

Post by Nerano »

The only advice I can give you is to find as many helpers as possible, if you want to start such a project (a good place to look for them are the official forums). I know that there was a team of Polish modders, who translated the whole mod, except for books that were not quest related, some years ago (unfortunately the team ceased to exist). As far I know, they were quite successful and released some beta version, but they admitted that they underestimated the amount of work. And much new content has been added to the mod since then...
Numenorean

Post by Numenorean »

Interesting that someone wants to attempt a Russian translation. TR is also beyond the English-speaking community not unknown. We have been planning for some time to start with a German translation. ;)

Since Zurabman has opened a translation thread, I'll post our request here:

-----

Permission for a German TR Translation?

Greetings, Tamriel Rebuilt!

With a small fix (change "Mournhold" to "Gramfeste" in "TR_LoopScript") you can visit the Mainland in Morrowind's German version too, but there is still no successful TR translation. Considering your efforts to recreate the whole province with tons of dialogues, books, quests, most impressive in- and exteriors etc, this sad state should be changed.

So we would like to ask for your permission to translate Tamriel Rebuilt: Sacred East into German. The idea came up in the TR release tread on [url=http://www.scharesoft.de/]Scharesoft[/url], but is not yet announced in the community. At the moment, the core consists of three persons, but I'm sure to put a good team together. We are fully aware of TR's dimensions and would approach a translation as professional as possible:

- organisation with an own redmine site (in close proximity to "Daggerfall Deutsch", an ongoing project to translate TES II). This system would allow us to begin with a Sacred East translation and use this content as a base for further updates / map releases.

- we agree to preserve the lore and the unique style of Morrowind (be it a correct translation of old and new lore terms, Morrowind's specific naming scheme or the choice of language in dialogues) which means relatively high translation standards.

- a translation of your TR_esm files with an esp, as we initially prefered, is apparently inconvertible, so a German TR version would involve changed TR_masterfiles. But you do not have to fear that your data will be spread without permission, we would further inform you about our upload options before releasing TR-GV.

- finally, we could offer you to some degree direct support, maybe by translating the release news or important parts of your website. If you have any ideas how some German modders and translators could help Tamriel Rebuilt, let us know it.

We hope to get your permission and give TR an adequate German version. :)

Numenorean, Crashtestgoblin, Ortega1302
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

You are welcome to translate TR into German! Any and all translations into other languages are welcome.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Zurabman

Post by Zurabman »

Hey, Nerano! Thanks for the information.
Unfortunatelly, Russian and Polish are nor as similar languages as the Western people think. Anyway, thanks for the info! I'll try to make a team on Russian forums.
Wish me luck guys!
Your faith leads to a miracle.
Numenorean

Post by Numenorean »

We have, among other things, nearly completed a translation list of TR's cell names into German. :)

But there are some cells in Kemel-Ze, which really try our patience: "Kemel-Ze, Aster" and "Kemel-Ze, Vels [: ...]".

Could you help us by explaining, what "Aster" and "Vels" means? It sounds ridiculous maybe, but we've found absolutely no reference. Or is it Dwemeris? ^^
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

It's Dwemeris.

Do you guys have a plan for what to do when TR gets updated? As in: are you going to start everything from scratch or do you have some import tool that automatically adjusts your translations to the newest version? I expect SE 1.2 to come out pretty soon, and I would like it if the German translations uses 1.2 as a base rather than the (comparably buggy) 1.1.
Numenorean

Post by Numenorean »

Thanks, arvisrend!

There exists an automatic translation tool for cell names, armor, weapons, clothing etc (not dialogues), but to add our TR translations, we would need skills in hex editing. That's the alternative to handwork. Maybe we should seriously consider it...

I'm sure you've released 1.2 when we control our translation and integrate it, because we work with an online tool and add the content later to the esp-files. But yes, when we use older translations as a base for a newer version, we really have to keep in mind the small changes and bugfixes. Do you have a changelist for every version, or will it depend on our eagle-eyes? ;)
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Unfortunately (or fortunately), a changelist for 1.1 to 1.2 could easily fill dozens of pages (and we don't yet know what's to come). It is probably indeed best to start with 1.2. I expect 1.2 to be more or less the final Sacred East version in terms of bugfixing (which is not to say that we won't add new content with further patches).
Wind0fChange_

Post by Wind0fChange_ »

Can you tell me if anyone started doing it?
I've started to collect materials on mod in russian: http://elderscrolls.net/morrowind/tamriel-rebuilt/. But there is no sense in starting a translating now. I think that too much will be changed.
[url=http://www.elderscrolls.net/]http://www.elderscrolls.net/[/url]