The end of Morrowind

Miscellaneous non-TR related discussion.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Should they have destroyed Morrowind?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 36

Gabrielman

The end of Morrowind

Post by Gabrielman »

Is it just me, or when they wrote the book (the infernal city I believe...) and destroyed Morrowind basically, that it was a pretty stupid idea? I mean, they had the moon crash into Vivec City and Red Mountain erupt.... all because Vivec lost his powers. If I were him, I would have thought of that and realize that the moon needs to go, and before my powers faded, would have had the entire moon mined to dust, to prevent such a thing from happening. Am I the only one who thinks this and is upset at the author?
[img]http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx219/Gabrielsword/Bleach-Manga-Chapter-462-003-1.jpg[/img]
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Vivec didn't slowly lose his powers, he dissapeared. Not much you can do about that, really.
Warning: may contain large amounts of sarcasm.

Myzel- We never actually see slaves working on Vvardenfell either. They're always just standing there. If you ask me they deserve a good whipping.
Gabrielman

Post by Gabrielman »

The Greatness wrote:Vivec didn't slowly lose his powers, he dissapeared. Not much you can do about that, really.
I had heard otherwise. Why would him disappearing mean the moon would fall though? He had traveled at other times away from Morrowind and the moon never fell.... anyway, still annoying! =D
[img]http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx219/Gabrielsword/Bleach-Manga-Chapter-462-003-1.jpg[/img]
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

The moon crashed into Vivec city because the Dunmer people forgot their love for him. Check your Sermons, man.

Let's face it anyway, the Dunmer culture was becoming pretty stagnant, they needed something to shake everything up.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
TheUnending
Developer

Post by TheUnending »

I'm mad they destroyed Vivec City and a lot of Vvardenfell, but hey, this might mean a possible return to Vvardenfell after the carnage and after they rebuild. But in any case, sometimes you need to destroy the old to bring in the new and lets face it, the Dunmer on Vvardenfell were full of old worn out traditions that needed a redo(think about computers, best way to fix 'em is to blow their brains out and start over).

Frankly, I think they needed to redo Morrowind(more specifically Vvardenfell), and I voted as such ;).
"*Sips Coffee*"

"The only sure way of taking over the world without your plans being ruined at the eleventh hour by some nosy kid... steal everyone's shoes..."
Gabrielman

Post by Gabrielman »

Cathartis wrote:The moon crashed into Vivec city because the Dunmer people forgot their love for him. Check your Sermons, man.

Let's face it anyway, the Dunmer culture was becoming pretty stagnant, they needed something to shake everything up.
Haven't read the sermons TBH, though I have read a lot of the books in Morrowind. That aside, it still bugs me is all. I know, only opinion, but I liked Morrowind the way it was.... and it would make sense they would forget their love for him, after he lied to them, made himself to be some kind of a god, and then made someone else do what he wouldn't do, or any of the other tribunal at that matter... and lost his connection to the heart. So it is to be expected. Anyway, thanks for all your responses. Didn't really look into it too far after hearing what happened in that book, kind of made me upset.
Frankly, I think they needed to redo Morrowind(more specifically Vvardenfell), and I voted as such Wink.
There is a special place in Oblivion for you..... :twisted: Thought I would let you know that, lol! (JK)
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

Not sure about yours, but Morrowind is still the same on my game disk. It's not like we really lost anything.

Then again, I usually don't like modern fantasy novels so it's been quite easy for me to ignore that book.
Myzel's Art gallery: [url]http://themyzel.deviantart.com/[/url]
TheUnending
Developer

Post by TheUnending »

Myzel wrote:Not sure about yours, but Morrowind is still the same on my game disk. It's not like we really lost anything.

Then again, I usually don't like modern fantasy novels so it's been quite easy for me to ignore that book.

Mine isn't different either, although I considered destroying Vivec once... what I did was made myself a super suit and armor in the construction set and killed everyone in Vivec.

Anyways, back on topic, ya I kind-of ignored that book as-well since frankly books aren't like the games and its basically the same situation as the books several authors have made about the Halo games, basically its just their rendition of what COULD theoretically happen since Vivec is rumored to have disappeared.

On the topic of Vivec disappearing I thought it would be pretty cool to actually find him again and save him.
"*Sips Coffee*"

"The only sure way of taking over the world without your plans being ruined at the eleventh hour by some nosy kid... steal everyone's shoes..."
Gabrielman

Post by Gabrielman »

Myzel wrote:Not sure about yours, but Morrowind is still the same on my game disk. It's not like we really lost anything.

:P okay okay, not literally in the game (I admit nothing....) just in the book, that Bethesda happens to seemingly like. Anyway, just a point of annoyance is all. So now, in future games, if you can ever travel back to Morrowind, it just won't be anywhere near the same... as there will be no Vivec, and Ald' Ruhn.... and other fun places, if they actually go with that in the Official story. Also... poor Saint Jiub... off topic, but it is sad they killed him off. His work though, makes the world a better place.... he needs a city named after him. Why does Vivec get a city, and yet does so little about the biggest issue facing Morrowind (cliff racers)? Jiub at least needs a shrine.... a very large shrine full of stuffed cliff racers! MUHAHA! wait.... I am off topic now... sorry... just suddenly came to mind thinking of revisiting Morrowind in a future game.
Gabrielman

Post by Gabrielman »

TheUnending wrote:
On the topic of Vivec disappearing I thought it would be pretty cool to actually find him again and save him.
Sounds like a good idea for a future mod.... on that starts up after the main quest is over. Some times passes, the moon is mined out to ruin any authors bad ideas.... and you go to visit Vivec only to find he is gone. Though correct me if I am wrong, didn't he get taken by daedra? Hm.... travel to Oblivion anyone? (not the game... the other realm...) Then again, what could he offer you for saving him? He has nothing of any real value.... hm.... perhaps an eternal service to you? Now you got me thinking =D you should never do that!
TheUnending
Developer

Post by TheUnending »

Also... poor Saint Jiub... off topic, but it is sad they killed him off. His work though, makes the world a better place.... he needs a city named after him.

Uhm, I'm not good with lore and I've only played Morrowind and a bit of Oblivion so... who is Saint Jiub? I've never heard any mention of a Saint Jiub... I've heard of a Jiub(the guy you're with on the prison ship when you arrive on Vvardenfell in Morrowind).

Sounds like a good idea for a future mod.... on that starts up after the main quest is over. Some times passes, the moon is mined out to ruin any authors bad ideas.... and you go to visit Vivec only to find he is gone. Though correct me if I am wrong, didn't he get taken by daedra? Hm.... travel to Oblivion anyone? (not the game... the other realm...) Then again, what could he offer you for saving him? He has nothing of any real value.... hm.... perhaps an eternal service to you? Now you got me thinking =D you should never do that!

Its my idea! Copy-written!!

Haha, on a serious note ya it'd be a great idea for a mod but if I did decide to do it I'd have to make a bunch of new meshes/textures for a Daedric realm where they could be holding Vivec hostage... so I guess its more trouble than its worth and you can have it ;).
"*Sips Coffee*"

Gabrielman

Post by Gabrielman »

O_O you don't know who Saint Jiub is? He is Jiub from the boat. After the events at Red Mountain, Jiub rose up and drove all, and I mean ALL the accursed, annoying, evil, darkness that is Cliff Racers from Morrowind. Which makes him a Saint as they said in Oblivion. In all respects, for such a great deed, he should be the 10th Divine, lol. I was, a while back, working on a mod to put him actually in game, and have him drive out all those evil Cliff Racers, but I am not working on it right now... lol

As for the rescue Vivec mod.... I would be willing to work on that with someone hint hint ;) ;)
TheUnending
Developer

Post by TheUnending »

I might start working on that mod but not for a while ;)... and anyways I only have Morrowind on my computer(I have Oblivion but my computer can't handle it... dang integrated Intel graphics chip).

At the moment I'm considering learning how to make my own models and textures so I can remake some stuff from this TV series that I really like(for a mod idea I have).
"*Sips Coffee*"

Gabrielman

Post by Gabrielman »

TheUnending wrote:I might start working on that mod but not for a while ;)... and anyways I only have Morrowind on my computer(I have Oblivion but my computer can't handle it... dang integrated Intel graphics chip).

At the moment I'm considering learning how to make my own models and textures so I can remake some stuff from this TV series that I really like(for a mod idea I have).
Well I have it on pc, as well as oblivion, and oblivion seems to work fine for me, on a lap top, lol. But then again, it is a Toshiba.... so no wonder it runs it :P (JK)

What Tv series (Pm me if you like). I can't really re texture, not even sure where to begin, though making models I can do.... albeit it takes me a good long while.... lol.

And of course someone could do a mod that showed the Oblivion crisis in Morrowind as well, for Morrowind, and then you save Vivec! =D tons of work! YAY!!
Lutemoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lutemoth »

The Landfall has been a long time coming, unfortunately. Those of us who deciphered it years ago shed tears for our future. It was mistaken by many that the Crisis was the arrow dodged, but that didn't cog well with Satak Memno-innards. Like waiting for a bee sting.
HoonDing mongori tiavo; Lemansha temin diang hibat.
The Hoon Ding guides us; all others can Make Way.
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

Except the bee sting is more like a tank shell. :p
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
Sickjin

Post by Sickjin »

I think any change to the lore that has fans split 50/50 is a very good thing. Differing opinions breeds opportunity for factions and quests in future games.
RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 »

well no one raised this yet.

If i understand correctly, the destruction of Vvardenfell (Red Mountain supposedly greatly damaged Vvardenfell but maybe not the mainland?) was inevitable as Vivec's, as well as other artificial gods and goddesses, took their powers from the Heart of Lorkhan. Destroying it mean you killed Dagoth'Ur, and that Almalexia was able to kill Sotha Sil and then you killed her afterward. Vivec was away from all this, but then when you go talk to him, he's saying that with the Heart being gone, he's mortal again.

So Vivec's disappearance was probably due to him retiring somewhere and dying there, but i'm not sure of how exactly he died or simply disappeared instead...
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

Rumours in Oblivion left him as kidnapped by the Daedric invasion forces.
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Laheja

Post by Laheja »

Can't understand how the moon can destroy Vivec, The moon was big yes ( if we are talking about the big rock baar dau where ordinators hold prisoners), but it was fairly low, and hard to imagine it destroying whole vivec, maybe high fane and palace and make a massive tidal wave, but those vivec cantons are well built, each of them is like stronghold on their own, surely they can take on big wave :S, or can't they?

The red mountain volcano did a lot of damage, as mentioned in Skyrim it did affect whole tamriel with climate changes, however how many casualties there were remains to be seen, I found it odd that such disaster happened as Nerevarine should have been aware of the effect what may or may not happen if tribunal loses their power or if not, Azura could have done something especially as dumner didn't believe in false gods no more and restored the religion with good daedra.

on the other note, how the hell can I get a avatar? Have tried adding it but it simply won't show :S
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

The moon destroyed all of vivec because it didn't merely fall, it resumed its old trajectory.

I'm unsure what trouble you are having with your avatar. You uploaded it to an image hosting site like photobucket and pasted a direct link in the avatar box right?
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Laheja

Post by Laheja »

Thrignar Fraxix wrote:The moon destroyed all of vivec because it didn't merely fall, it resumed its old trajectory.

I'm unsure what trouble you are having with your avatar. You uploaded it to an image hosting site like photobucket and pasted a direct link in the avatar box right?
That's one evil moon.

Yep uploaded pic to image shack and copy-ed a direct link. And it tells that profile updated, but it just won't show up.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

I can see it - your browser is likely just taking a bit to update your cache.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

The problem was resolved via PM, it wasn't browser delay
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Letrune
Developer

Post by Letrune »

For me, destroyed does mean it as the Dwemer was destroyed - Morrowind is, well, a big chunk of ashlands and vulcanic places, with parts of civilization here and there, like how Ald-Ruhn is in Morrowind. So, yes, it is said to be destroyed, but in the same way as Skyrim bathes in blood: the rumours travel fast and break some parts of the original story.

...And in my opinion, exploring the ruins of Ald-Ruhn or Balmora would be a LOT chilling...
Tyrant
Developer

Post by Tyrant »

Just an idle thought. How much fun would it be to play in a post-apocalyptic Morrowind, Fallout style! Who's up for destroying morrowind right after we finish creating it? :D
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shackled, we are bound
Freedom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned
Bero
Reviewer

Post by Bero »

That would be most awesome total conversion for Morrowind.
Heh leaving safety of Mournhold into the dangers of wasteland beyond its walls. That would be more than just "most awesome" experience.
Completed Morrowind Interiors: 47
The trice sealed house withstands the storm.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Anonymous wrote:[img]http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/2793/memedr.jpg[/img]
QFT
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined