New Core Shuffle!

The news of the front page, global announcements, and any discussion of said announcements or news articles.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

New Core Shuffle!

Post by Haplo »

No, it's not a new dance. There's been some shuffling about of the core position based on some discussions we've had recently, with regard to how we should divide up the management of these advanced stages of our project. The previous Head of Quests position, held by Why, is being split in twain:

--

Head of Stories
Responsible for story/world development both on the big picture Faction/culture level and the individual NPC/quest level, before and during the quests and NPC stages. Oversees and coordinates all things Quest Design / story implementation / NPC process.
Claim related technical stuff: Creates quest claims in coordination with HoScripts, approves quest designs making claims available in quests:unclaimed, directs NPCing stage.

Head of Scripts
Responsible for the technical side of quest and NPC implementation and head of the AI/Quests usergroup (which means, gets the final say in Quest showcases).
Claim related technical stuff: Creates quest claims in coordination with HoStories, grants unclaimed quest claims, does final reviews of quest functionality in both the quest claim process and the NPCing process.

--

Why will remain on the core as the Head of Stories, and our new Head of Scripts will be none other than arvisrend! arvisrend has more than shown his commitment and skill over the past year or two and continues to push both the progress and the quality of the project in positive directions. Let's give a hearty congratulations to arvisrend in welcoming him to the core!
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Welcome to the core, arvisrend. Godspeed and all that!
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

The important question is, why don't we have our own dance yet?

Congrats arvis, well-deserved!
Mortimer
Developer

Post by Mortimer »

Congrats to them both on their new (and more refined) positions!

But arvisrend has the title Head of Stories as well...?

Two heads of stories!
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Mortimer wrote:Congrats to them both on their new (and more refined) positions!

But arvisrend has the title Head of Stories as well...?

Two heads of stories!
I don't know what you're talking about... *whistles*
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

Post by Terrifying Daedric Foe »

Head of Stories
I've now got a disturbing mental picture of a severed head stuck on a spike telling stories. I'm not sure what that says about my psyche.

On a more serious note, congrats to Arvis on his promotion! :D

May there be many intriguing, exciting and complicated quests in TR!
'The strange thing about TR is that I think it is by and large accepted that we will finish. We are all the sort of crazy people that would do such a thing. We are inevitable.' ~ Thrignar Fraxix
Bero
Reviewer

Post by Bero »

Congrats to you both.
I like this change because this way there can be more interesting quests since weight has been divided or at least I guess it was. BTW bit off topic but what does scripting in MW looks like? C?
Completed Morrowind Interiors: 47
The trice sealed house withstands the storm.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Distributing the burden of the more technical and bureaucratic aspects of the position is definitely something I wanted to achieve with this move, yes. It'll allow me to focus more on the story development side of things so that we can have deeper and more meaningful quests. Arvis is a very experienced quest reviewer, together the two of us + Not worked for what seemed two straight weeks of reviewing/bugfixing/merging leading up to the release of Sacred East and I have absolute faith that he's the right man for the job.

Morrowind's scripting language is extremely basic, it's understanding what you can and can't do that's tricky, and debugging is quite hard at times. It's quite daunting to learn, nothing is as intimidating as a blank file, but once you get started and master the basics the more advanced stuff comes naturally. You (and everyone else) should totally make a quest showcase. ;)
Terrifying Daedric Foe wrote:I've now got a disturbing mental picture of a severed head stuck on a spike telling stories. I'm not sure what that says about my psyche.
:mrgreen:
Last edited by Why on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alex25
Developer

Post by alex25 »

Lots of congrats for both of you! Hopefully things will be easier now that questing is split.
Bero
Reviewer

Post by Bero »

Well, I saw that its basic but is there list of functions/methods that I can use in MW? Heh I guess I should ask this somewhere else.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

[url=http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?id=6083&view=Mods.Detail]Morrowind Scripting For Dummies v9[/url] is the ultimate reference for script functions and a file I use all the time when scripting. [url=http://www.themcnews.com/Quest_tut.pdf]Making a Quest for Morrowind: A Very, Very, Very Basic Guide![/url] is how I got started on my first quest.
Bero
Reviewer

Post by Bero »

I was afraid I'd end up with 200 page long Morrowind Scripting For Dummies.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

You don't actually need to read all of it, or to memorise all the functions. Just start thinking of "things" you want your script to do, and "things" you want to detect, and then find an appropriate function in the table of contents. And we are indeed derailing this thread quite a bit, please do PM me if you have any further questions!
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Well done Why and Arvisrend, I just know you'll both do an awesome job in your new capacities :)
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

Congrats, arvis and Why!

May this work out well for you ^^
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

O hai. Thanks a lot everyone for the compliments, and here's hoping I'll be of any use in that position.

@TDF: hanging around daedric shrines for a bit too long? ;)
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Most interesting change. Quests are handled a lot better lately! Keep on the good work guys.
--Mwgek--
Matin Sanguine
Developer

Post by Matin Sanguine »

Congratulations arvisrend! I'm sure your the right person for the job, especially since Why seems to think so as well. Good luck! :)
"SLOAD. SOAP. IS. NOT. SOAP"- TF

"As to where the ash comes from.. fuck if I care." -Sload

"At TR, we LOVE our quests to be steeped in lore, so you'd be able to flex your CHIM there just fine." - Nanu

Claims Completed: 4
SamirA
Developer Emeritus

Post by SamirA »

As a celebration I'm actually going to do something! Yay arvisrend!
And that's how you get to Llama School.
Lady_N: mountain dew tastes like yellow and pwning at d&d