TR NPC Claim 4-37-Red [Rats]

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Why
Lead Developer

TR NPC Claim 4-37-Red [Rats]

Post by Why »

Six cells. Coastal area just north of Kartur. Contains a large and unique Daedric shrine dedicated to Boethiah. Arvisrend wants to use this location for a MG quest, and since it's so obvious and close to civilisation it'd be grand if this could be inhabited by a few friendlies rather than your usual tear-your-face-off cultists or bandits. Put a plan in your claim post.

Exterior cells of special interest: (-11,-10) aforementioned Daedric shrine. This exterior cell should probably be named.

Interiors contained in this file:
[url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=22889]i4-411[/url] - Hermit's home
[url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=22890]i4-412[/url] - Daedric shrine
[url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=22891]i4-413[/url] - Ancestral tomb

Use the file attached to this post.

arvisrend creature notes:
http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=310654
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/83265276/map4-diff.png

arvisrend edit: This coastal region is called either the West Askkaedh Coast or the North Askkaedh Coast.

It's d05/d09/d01/ND on my difficulty map, meaning d05 on roads, d09 in wilder places (of which there should not be too many in this claim), d01 for sleep creatures and No Diseased creatures. This doesn't mean "no exceptions", and it only pertains to the outside world, not caves and shrines.

TR_stat_roth_* are the main levlists for this place, even if it's not strictly speaking Roth Roryn (it's close enough for the critters to cross over). The TR_stat_roth_d09 list is hopefully going to get longer once we get modellers to do something. Use TR_stc_* for non-randomized creatures (like mudcrabs at lakes, rats near corpses etc., maybe the occasional velk or two).

Put water creatures at your discretion, but be aware that they have huge AI distances; a slaughterfish can spot you from a very long distance away. Since this area is somewhat lowlevel, it should not have too much hard stuff; I'd use TR_stc_slaughterfish and TR_stc_slaughterfish_small most of the time rather than lists containing dreugh and whatever.
Attachments
TR_4-37-Red NPC cutout.esp
(320.33 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Can we make this available or do we need to hold off until we finalize those Daedric shrine plans? I'm kind of leaning towards letting an NPCer come up with a cool friendly-NPC-plan for the shrine and then working it into the MG quest plans rather than the other way around. Though if we already have a solid idea of where this needs to go, it could also be a good idea to nail that down before we push it into unclaimed. Arvis (or anyone, really, but arvis in particular), thoughts?
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Why wrote:Can we make this available or do we need to hold off until we finalize those Daedric shrine plans? I'm kind of leaning towards letting an NPCer come up with a cool friendly-NPC-plan for the shrine and then working it into the MG quest plans rather than the other way around. Though if we already have a solid idea of where this needs to go, it could also be a good idea to nail that down before we push it into unclaimed. Arvis (or anyone, really, but arvis in particular), thoughts?
For me it's fine either way; at worst the MG could take a different shrine somewhere else in noobland (there are more...).
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Why has this been in N/A all the time? Is something missing?

And is the file in Why's post the newest one? I'd like to fix a couple floateers.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I think it was waiting per the details of Why's post.

Edit - sniped
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Some exterior bugs fixed in this version:
Attachments
TR_4-37-Red NPC cutout.esp
(320.48 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Claimin', if no one objects me hogging a third NPCing claim. This seems like a nice little job.

The Daedric shrine will be inhabited by friendly gathering of Boethiah cultists. I want to emphasize the weird cult as a 'faction' aspect. They're not just some random worshipers come together, but a Cult of Boet-Hi-Ah. Maybe have them spontaneously summon Daedra, quote esoteric scriptures, have them have some sort of internal hierarchy and have them dressed in a noticeably similar fashion to denote their uniqueness. Could some of them wear the Diviner Helm, or is that Temple/Necrom specific?

The hermit will be a friendly fellow as well, though a little insane. I was toying with the idea of having him believe he's a werecreature/vampire and trying to redeem himself/protect others by living in the wilderness.

To counterbalance all this friendliness the tomb will be occupied by a hostile gang of critters. I'm still unsure whether they'll be the usual undead or something else. I was thinking: with these western parts of Morrowind, could we have caves inhabited by goblin clans for variety's sake (like in Cyrodiil)?
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Not sure about goblins and the hermit. Goblins aren't currently part of the map 4 creature set; I think this is best left to discussion on the channel once Adan and gro are back on. Unlike Oblivion's goblins, the ones in MW are high-level enemies and often trained. Not saying it's a bad idea; we just need to discuss it. (Hmm... remodelled goblins which look less warrior-like and more organic? Anyone??) About the hermit, someone should look into this as well; all this werecreature stuff gets into stupid joke territory very quickly.

As for the Boethiah cult, if you can pull that off, go ahead!

So, yes, granting, but please don't start with the hermit and don't put any goblin armies into the place so far. Nag Adan, gro and (if he comes back) Why about the hermit, please. Oh, and I guess you know that q2-29 has priority these days. :)

Granted!
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Some food for thought regarding the personality of the Boethiah cult:

My brother was a warlock of the cult of Boethiah -and from what he told me, the Dark Warrior was closer to my spirit than the treacherous Molag Bal. Boethiah is a Warrior Princess who acts more overtly than any other Daedroth. After years of skulking and scheming, it felt good to perform acts for a mistress which had direct, immediate consequences. Besides, I liked it that Boethiah was a Daedra of the Dark Elves. Our cult would summon her on the day we called the Gauntlet, the 2nd of Sun's Dusk. Bloody competitions would be held in her honor, and the duels and battles would continue until nine cultists were killed at the hands of other cultists. Boethiah cared little for her cultists-she only cared for our blood. I do think I saw her smile when I accidentally slew my brother in a sparring session. My horror, I think, greatly pleased her.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Rats wrote:Claimin', if no one objects me hogging a third NPCing claim. This seems like a nice little job.

The Daedric shrine will be inhabited by friendly gathering of Boethiah cultists. I want to emphasize the weird cult as a 'faction' aspect. They're not just some random worshipers come together, but a Cult of Boet-Hi-Ah. Maybe have them spontaneously summon Daedra, quote esoteric scriptures, have them have some sort of internal hierarchy and have them dressed in a noticeably similar fashion to denote their uniqueness. Could some of them wear the Diviner Helm, or is that Temple/Necrom specific?

The hermit will be a friendly fellow as well, though a little insane. I was toying with the idea of having him believe he's a werecreature/vampire and trying to redeem himself/protect others by living in the wilderness.

To counterbalance all this friendliness the tomb will be occupied by a hostile gang of critters. I'm still unsure whether they'll be the usual undead or something else. I was thinking: with these western parts of Morrowind, could we have caves inhabited by goblin clans for variety's sake (like in Cyrodiil)?
An isolated sect of Boethiah cultists is fine I guess, although there ought to be a reason why they're not in Dres lands where they can practise their religion openly.

Goblins sound fine to me, no reason there can't be a migrating tribe in the area.

The mad hermit is ok in principle. I'd be inclined to go with a devoutly religious type like a medieval anchorite, or some other kind of madness. Maybe he thinks he's a Telvanni Lord who's been usurped and cast out by someone who's now imitating him? That's fun because it's not completely impossible.
Test
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Thanks for looking at this, gro!

Talking of the mad hermit:
[18:49] arvisrend: i'm wondering if the notion of a yurodivyj exists in the west
[18:49] arvisrend: because that would make even more sense
[18:50] gro-dhal: New word for me
[18:50] arvisrend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foolishness_for_Christ
[18:54] gro-dhal: Excellent
[18:54] gro-dhal: A few of those would be just the ticket
[18:55] gro-dhal: Vivec is basically one of these already
[...]
[19:00] arvisrend: so
[19:01] arvisrend: what the fuck is Boethiah about
[19:01] arvisrend: i mean, what Mephala isn|t
[19:01] arvisrend: oh i see
[19:02] gro-dhal: I kind of see Boethiah as more of an anarchist
[19:02] gro-dhal: Glad Sload isn't here to see me say that
[19:02] arvisrend: Mephala is more about deceit as a way of ruling, Boethiah is about deceit (and not just deceit) as a way of liberation
[19:02] gro-dhal: Exactly
[19:02] arvisrend: which is a bit disappointing because i steered q2-29 into a more Boethian direction
[19:03] Haplo: lol
[19:04] gro-dhal: What's the problem there
[19:04] arvisrend: because it's Mephala acting Boethian
[19:04] arvisrend: but that's OK i guess, given Rats' quality of work
[19:05] arvisrend: also it's all for the sacred goal of Getting The Outlanders Piss Off
[19:05] gro-dhal: Mephala can promote what seems random and chaotic
[19:05] gro-dhal: But actually has a plan to it
[19:05] gro-dhal: In the longer term
[19:05] arvisrend: i see
[19:05] Haplo: would two daedra ever get together and try to mess with mortals by acting like each other?
[19:06] Haplo: then feigning offense
[19:06] gro-dhal: Why not
[19:06] gro-dhal: Boethiah has form for impersonating people
[19:06] Haplo: I mean for a quest idea
[19:06] arvisrend: tie *this* in with the holy fools, maybe?
[19:07] gro-dhal: Maybe
[19:07] gro-dhal: I'm against the idea of Daedra just pissing about for a laugh
[19:07] gro-dhal: Unless it's part of their sphere to do so
[19:07] gro-dhal: They're constrained by their nature to act in certain ways
[19:10] gro-dhal: For Sanguine, all that drunkenness and revelry is serious business, it's like his job
[19:11] gro-dhal: Of course Daedra could work together to deceive a mortal to further their agenda
[19:11] gro-dhal: Especially someone like Boethiah
[...]
[19:48] rot: "An isolated sect of Boethiah cultists is fine I guess, although there ought to be a reason why they're not in Dres lands where they can practise their religion openly. "
[19:48] rot: looks like all the other cultists in MW didn't get the memo either
[19:49] rot: reason doesn't need go further than there's a shrine there
[19:49] rot: oh gone
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Rot- the vast majority of Daedra worshippers you encounter are followers of the Bad Daedra, who are proscribed everywhere in Morrowind. Boethiah's legit in the far south, and I suppose a bit of a grey area elsewhere.
Test
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

gro-Dhal wrote:Rot- the vast majority of Daedra worshippers you encounter are followers of the Bad Daedra
Not in TR. The hostile Azura cultists are a pretty effective reminder that it's a Daedric Prince... Boethiah ones might've been more of a dubious regional theme though.
arvisrend wrote:(Hmm... remodelled goblins which look less warrior-like and more organic? Anyone??)
Reposting links of gob resources, they still look more like soldiers than vermin but could maybe inspire someone:
[url=http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=7012]Unarmored goblins[/url]
[url=http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=7356]Goblin shaman[/url]
Rats
Lead Developer

Re: A note on Naming

Post by Rats »

rot wrote: [url=http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=7012]Unarmored goblins[/url]
[url=http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=7356]Goblin shaman[/url]
Though I'd love the goblins to have shaman, the helmet on midgetalien's model isn't placed correctly and needs fixing. The two unarmored goblins look good as they are, though. Great for "peon" and "berserk" goblins.

I was thinking that the Boethiah cultist could engage in some violent initiation rite where they beat a hopeful Altmer acolyte to death (even toyed with the idea having him be reborn as an Orc afterwards).

Anyways, I'll probably start working on this more as soon as im done with q2-29
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

I'm posting a WIP file to let you guys take a look what I've done with the ancestral tomb and say what you think.

The tomb's been crittered with a group of relatively low-level goblins that I've named the Grave Maggot tribe. They have their own [url=http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y417/rats_tr/grave_maggot_goblin_sign_zps03d0abe9.png]tribal symbol[/url] which they'll use to decorate the tomb like [url=http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y417/rats_tr/goblinpaint02_zps06f7b43f.png]this[/url] and [url=http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y417/rats_tr/goblinpaint03_zps23d5b9e2.png]this[/url] and [url=http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y417/rats_tr/goblinpaint01_zps80e7b199.png]this[/url].

I also went and modified midgetalien's goblin shaman model to give it a more "shaman-y" look and to fix the helmet. [url=http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y417/rats_tr/rats_goblinshaman_zps4c7abde8.png]Screenie[/url].

So, what do you think?

.esp file, the new shaman mesh + textures, and the tribal symbol mesh + texture attached
Attachments
Goblin Shaman and Grave Maggot tribe logo.7z
(879 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
TR_4-37-Red_NPC_7_Dec_2013.esp
(328.17 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

The "decorations" are fucking brilliant! There's nothing that screams profanation like a clawed pacman face painted in blood on the walls of a crypt.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Rats, now that the goblin stuff is in the data, can you please update the 4-37 file to use it (with correct paths)? Thanks a lot.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Here you go :)
Attachments
TR_4-37-Red_NPC_29_Dec_2013.esp
(329.4 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

What should we do with all these NPC Claims in exteriors claimed that have been superseded by the section development scheme? Right now they don't do anything but clutter the forum. I suggest shifting the ones that don't overlap with currently existing sections into Exteriors N/A. Relevant ones should be reconstituted as new claims based on discussion in the sections.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

Agreed, already merged this into the supermerge, where it will be split back into proper sections. Moving to "Finished".
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates