Guide to Mournhold District

Place where in-game literature is written and developed.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Guide to Mournhold District

Post by Nomadic1 »

The second regional guide, completely incomplete...

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/evildemonofcowville/MournholdDistrict-1.png[/img]

Morrowind is the northeastern-most province of the Tamrielic Empire, bounded on the north and east by the Sea of Ghosts, on the west by Skyrim, on the southwest by Cyrodiil (also known as the Imperial Province), and on the south by Black Marsh (also known as Argonia). Mournhold District encompasses the eastern part of the province, and contains the elegant, stately holdings of Great House Indoril.

Whilst containing numerous villages and towns, no settlement in all of Morrowind compares to the sprawling metropolis of Mournhold-Almalexia. Literally a city within a city, it is the heart and capital of both Morrowind and House Indoril. Mention of this region can also not go past the great necropolis of Necrom, the sacred and somber center of the Dunmeri ancestral cults.

The Mournhold district has five distinct geographic regions, each with their own distinctive terrain features. Scholars have based their classifications on the different types of lands as described by the local Indoril, so the designations are recognized by most local traders, travelers, and adventurers. These geographic regions are called: Alt Orethan, the INLET BOG, Lan Orethan, the Mephalain Mountains, the Nedothril Coast, the Sacred Lands, and the Thirr River Valley.

ALT ORETHAN

Alt Orethan is the highly populated plains and twisting ranges that lies in the centre of the district, and is named after the river that runs through it. In the heart of the region lies the sprawling twin cities of Mournhold-Almalexia. The other settlements of note in the region are Othrensis and Meralag.

Almalexia is the center of Great House Indoril and home to the Indoril Council. Located in the center of Almalexia lies the city of Mournhold, capital of the district and home to Almalexia, one of the three god-kings of Morrowind. This impressive metropolis is by far the largest city in the east of the Empire, and boasts a considerable array of services. Mournhold Temple is the most popular pilgrimage site in Morrowind. The silt striders at Almalexia offer travel to destinations wide across central Morrowind.

Meralag is a small town north of Almalexia, near the source of the Alt Orethan river. The town offers few services.

Othrensis is a large town in the east of Alt Orethan. The old town is an ancient settlement built on a hill, and the new town built in splendid Mournhold style lies below it on the banks of a river. The town offers a large array of services.

INLET BOG

The INLET BOG is an INLET BOG. The only permanent settlement is the small coastal town of Darnim, located at its eastern edge.

LAN ORETHAN

Between the Alt Orethan to the west and the Nedothril Coast to the east lies the verdant valley of Lan Orethan. The valley is home to an ancient forest that extends the length of the Lan Orethan river. While frequent patrols keep the roads safe and maintained, the depths of the forest can be perilous to the unprepared. There are numerous farms and manors in the valley, as well as the towns of Bosmora and Dreynim.

Bosmora is a small market town located in the south of the Lan Orethan, at a crossroads in the foothills of the mountains. The town offers several services for the pilgrims and merchants that pass through.

Dreynim is a small ship-building village in the center of the forest, built on the main road between Almalexia and Necrom as it crosses the Lan Orethan river. Travelers should be aware that the village offers no services to those that pass through. On the other side of the river lies the resort of Dreynim Spa, popular with the elite of Great House Indoril.

MEPHALAIN MOUNTAINS

The labyrinthine valleys and passes of the Mephalain Mountains dominate the northeast of the district. Within the mountains lie the towns of Akamora, Ayemar, Hlersis and Tahvel.

Akamora is a large egg-mining town located in the heart of the mountains. It is reached easily only from the west.

Ayemar is a mighty fortress in the far northwest of the mountains that guards the holdings of House Indoril further south. The fortress offers little in the way of services.

Hlersis is a small troglodyte community on the highway north out of Necrom. It has a small underground inn.

Tahvel is a small, isolated egg-mining town located east of the source of the Lan Orethan river. It offers no services.

NEDOTHRIL COAST

The windswept western coastline of the district between the Isle of Gorne to the south and the Necrom Lighthouse to the north is known as the Nedothril Coast. The sheltered coves and valleys are home to a few small towns. Numerous lakes dot the district, and several small farms and ranches are to be found. Submerged rocks make the sea itself is treacherous for unknowing mariners. The towns in this region are Enamor Dayn, Evos, Gorne, Sailen and Seitur.

Enamor Dayn is a small coastal town in the south of the coast, located northeast of Bosmora.

Evos is a small farming community in the north of the region, located nearby Sailen.

Gorne is a village on the southern end of the island of the same name. The town offers several services to passing ships.

Sailen is a farming market town in the far north of the region, near the highway that leads to Necrom, and is the largest town in the region.

SACRED LANDS

THIRR RIVER VALLEY

etc. and so forth. et al.
Last edited by Nomadic1 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

I love how official these maps look. :)

According to Sload's old map (http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/download.php?id=16893) Mourhold District includes the entire Thirr Valley. Could we expand this map just a bit to the west?

Also, I think you're missing the eastern fork of the river in the Lan Orethan.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I can extend it that far if thats as far as the district goes. I just have to remake the map. 2 hours or so to do is all it will take. The hard bit is going to extend it south more, but I can manage that.

EDIT: Does anybody know how large bookart can be? I've been making it a max of 512 to be safe but its nice to know how much I've got to play with.

I deliberately don't add every stream, lake or island. That risks overcrowding the map. That eastern fork, for example, is only a small stream that comes from a Daedric shrine. Nobody would miss that on the map.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

That's hawt. I would actually add the eastern fork, because it's integral to the shape of the region.

I love the little Meralag volcano here :) Also, I would suggest adding Roa Dyr, I think it's major enough to add here.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

gorne is off to the side by itself, and would work nicely with a label I think.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

Aeven wrote:That's hawt.
Seconded.

Besides Gorne I don't think there's room for any more settlements without risking the map getting too crowded.

It's either Roa Dyr or Almas Thirr, going with both might look to cluttered.

Previous TR map's were split kind of awkwardly so I assume there is indeed a size limit for Book art.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Loving the map again (as I said of the Telvannis thread) but shouldn't Bosmora just about fit on the current map? Or is it a little south?
Warning: may contain large amounts of sarcasm.

Myzel- We never actually see slaves working on Vvardenfell either. They're always just standing there. If you ask me they deserve a good whipping.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Bosmora is where those roads meet at the bottom. Didn't add it though because its kinda small and out of the way, and I don't even know what its being renamed to. Roa Dyr won't fit with Almas Thirr, which I figure is the more important city. Can add Gorne. :)

Of course, I'm gonna be making the map a little larger to cover the entire district, so hold off until version 2. :]
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

And here's version 2. Gorne, Darnim and Sailen have been added, and the map extended to the west and south. Its also a lot tidier.
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

HLERSISSsssss :P

That is probably not an important enough settlement to mention, but I am known for my silly behaviour, am I not?
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Scamp
Reviewer

Post by Scamp »

Do better not add Hlersis. It is an (yes, unimportant) underground town in an interior, and thus it makes no sense to mark it on an exterior map imo.
"Scamp you are the wonderboy" - Praedator

[url=http://scamp.blogspot.com/][img]http://i.imgur.com/Ea8ABeM.png[/img][/url]
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Map updated.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Just wanted to say that the archipelago thing north of Almas Thirr will be continued south of it as well, although it's map 6 and still only on the horizon.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I know there will be changes around there. They'd be easy enough to make though once they are done.

EDIT: Also added some text.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

If we want to include this amazing piece of work, it needs a bit of updating. The Area 3 bit on the lower east end of the Thirr near Andaram lake was changed in terms of rivers. It's big enough to put on the map.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Nomadic, I noticed you've been around recently. Any idea if you could update this? It'd be great to include in the next update/release. :)
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I didn't think these books were needed anymore. If they are I can get onto them again.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the image for this one won't work in game because it isn't power of 2 on both dimensions.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I'm not sure how the formatting will look like in-game, but a bit of filler alpha map above or below the image, wherever it fits, could fix that.

I noticed two small errors in the text:
Othrensis is a large town in the east of Alt Orethan.
Going by the map, I think that should be in the west of Alt Orethan.
Submerged rocks make the sea itself is treacherous for unknowing mariners.
The 'is' shouldn't be there.