Ash swamp at Kogotel - what to call it?

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Ash swamp at Kogotel - what to call it?

Post by Nemon »

Since we're probably going to start referring to this place near Kogotel in dialogue/literature shortly - what about we settle for a name? Ash Swamp is, of course, just a temporary thing for simple internal referring. What we require is a name that fits the place, has linguistic connection to the local language and kicks ass.

I am no dunmeri scholar, so my suggestions will solely be based on cool sounding stuff. For some reason I want something with a z in it. Have at it...

And for what it's worth, reich parkeep/rich barkeep/lolsexytown also needs a proper name. It's Redoran, in a cave, and awesome.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Soluthis is a lore-based candidate for Reich Parkeep
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Soluthis seems fine.

Gnolan Huk for the marsh, Ruhn Huk for Hla-ruhn (just ideas). may be call it "[Gnolan Huk] Ashwaters Region" to not obfuscate its identity for the player.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

Gnolaan Huk?
hlan huk?
hlaan mur.
rhan huk.
Gnar Huk.
Zaan Mar.
Huk Zaan.
Huk Zaal.
Ghuk Mar.
Ghuun Mora.
Haal Huk.
Ghuul Huk.
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Referring to the Master Plan, and the need for clear 'regional divisions', I think there's a case to be made for a more evocative name, vanilla-style (e.g. Bitter Coast, West Gash, Red Mountain) rather than another indistinct "Dunmerisyllables Region".

"Built into a promontory rising out of the silt of the Low Marches, you find the city of Kogotél."

More fantasy syllables in that sentence doesn't add much to it for me, beyond trying to remember the difference between Roth Roryn and Gnolan Huk and Shipal Shin and Molagreahd.

But getting bogged down in naming things is always pretty tedious, so whatever works.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

i agree with bloodthirsty crustacean
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Ashmires?
Ash Bottoms
Ash Wallows

Yeah, I'm kind of sucky at naming places. Having "Ash" in the name seems appropriate to me, since it immediately tells the player what the area is like by relating it to a familiar Vvardenfell environment. Of course, there's always the danger of sounding too derivative.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

rot mentioned Barrens on the IRC channel, and I have to say, Ash Barrens does have quite an appeal to it. It's literal and in English while not being campy... all good things in my opinion.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Barrens is good, though it doesn't really communicate the wetness of the region.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I prefer Ashmires - as far as I understand, what qualifies an area as barrens is it being devoid of vegetation, and these swamps are actually full of life with all the Trama Root, parasols and puffshrooms.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

+1 for Ashmires for the sound of this name.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Gnolan Ashmires?
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

I personally like the idea of something a little less on-the-nose. E.g. 'the Low Marches', 'the Drowned Flats', and then let the player find out for themselves through NPCs and visiting the place itself that it is an ashmire.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Not entirely on-topic, but Inlet Bog is a super-lame region name as well. How about the Darnim Wetlands?
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Speaking of lame region names, has the "Mephalain" typo ever been fixed? It ought to have been Mephalan or maybe Mephalian. Mephalain sounds like dyslexia.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:I personally like the idea of something a little less on-the-nose. E.g. 'the Low Marches', 'the Drowned Flats', and then let the player find out for themselves through NPCs and visiting the place itself that it is an ashmire.
I like the Low Marches.
Cathartis wrote:Not entirely on-topic, but Inlet Bog is a super-lame region name as well. How about the Darnim Wetlands?
I would suggest Darnim Bog or Darnim Marshes, but yeah. Wetlands are a thing environmentalists are saving.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Nice to see that some people like Ashmires, though Drowned Flats also sounds nice to me.

I kind of like Inlet Bog. It's straightforward and aptly describes what the region is like. It's a tad simplistic, but I think that actually works in its favor here. At any rate, I don't see how renaming it after Darnim, a meager village lying near its edge, makes sense. That's like naming the Bitter Coast after Gnaar Mok.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

other way around, darnim is named after the marsh
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

"Darnim" doesn't really sound like a marsh name, though. Like I'd expect a marsh to have a marshy name. Like Bolmar or Golshad or Glubmoor or something. Well, maybe not Glubmoor, but that's the idea. Darnim could be a mountain. Darnim Peak sounds right. Darnim Bog doesn't.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I think Inlet Bog is fine. I want more region names like it, actually.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

inlet bog is an absolutely shitty name
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

How about a compromise of the two types of names, with a touch of historical influences.

Like Rhunhuk Marches.

Or the Marshes of [X]. X being the name of some minor historical Dunmeri figure that nobody gives two farts about but the name stuck.

Ex: Marches of ASDFLETH, for it was upon this bog where some dude named ASDFLETH threw back a host of Akaviri and cast them back East in the name of ALMSIVI. (That was a stupid random example I just made up, but I'm sure any of you can come up with something better).

We could throw in a name from some random work of fiction like Poison Song or 2920. Name the ash swamp after some fictitious general who fought back the Nords in that area.
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Can we please get away from this Orcish shit for names

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

I have no issues with inlet bog but it's your first language, people. You probably hear and see different things about it.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI