q2-38-Mis

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

arvisrend
Lead Developer

q2-38-Mis

Post by arvisrend »

Claim type: Quest
Claim ID: TR_q2-38-Mis (#2606)
Faction: Misc
Parent claim: TR_2-23-Ind (#86)
Claimed by: Kaz
Files: TR_q2-38-Mis_arvisrend_1.esp; TR_q2-38-Mis_arvisrend_2.esp; TR_q2-38-Mis_arvisrend_3.esp; TR_q2-38-Mis_arvisrend_4.esp; TR_q2-38-Mis_arvisrend_5.esp; TR_q2-38-Mis_arvisrend_6.esp

---

This is really Kaz's showcase http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24023 . I'm opening this claim to give it a number that won't later be reused by a different quest.

MERGE INSTRUCTIONS:

- Delete the old door to the Akamora temple.

- Move the other NPC away from Farvyn.

- Check if pathgrids have merged right.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Claimed "pro forma" for reviewing. The real work was done by Kaz, but since the reviewing forum is a mess, I'm gonna handle my changes as a claim.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

All IDs changed to match TR patterns. ESM dependency replaced by ESP "dependency". Grammar messup fixed ("Favryn was unhappy with the way the outcome of the ritual") and some hyphens replaced by dashes.

Unfortunately, not all changes survived the switch to ESP dependency. Kaz, can you please take a look at the cells and the pathgrids you've changed and make a list of the changes that have been lost (don't re-do them, list them!)? Changes of the form "add new reference" are all fine, but changes of the form "modify existing reference" or "delete existing reference" usually get muddled with ESP dependency, and need to be done on the Mainland directly (after or before merge). One thing I see is the door from the Akamora ext to the Temple doubling (rather than replacing) the old door. Another one is the old frescoes in the basement still being there. If you can give me a list of all such issues, I'll get rid of them. (Also, I've moved Gilas; is that OK?)
Kaz
Developer

Post by Kaz »

Okay, it looks as though everything actually survived fine!

The door doubling was something I'd forgotten to delete - basically, when I started doing this I tried not to modify any existing objects at all as I didn't know what you'd done with them since the release. As a result, the only things I actually changed were the pathgrids, and those seem to have transferred fine to ESP dependency. I'm not sure what you mean by the frescoes? I don't think I changed any of those.

Moving Gilas is fine, although note that there's a lot of scripting that moves him and in particular both the Gilasmove and ritend scripts send him to his "original position". There's also a bit of Ilmeni's dialogue that assumes he is standing next to her after he comes back (the one that goes "Actually, never mind. [She glances at Gilas]"). If you want to move him so he's not actually standing near her at that point, just deleting that dialogue option (it won't screw up the dialogue) is probably best.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Kaz wrote:Okay, it looks as though everything actually survived fine!
I fear this is not the case. Look at the temple basement in the file (with TR_Mainland.esp loaded); this is where I need your help. Did you move/delete some frescoes or wall pieces?

(While there, you can check if I moved Gilas into the wrong place. Basically, I was stuck with 2 Gilases when I merged your file, so I deleted one of them, and it seems to have been the "wrong" one.)
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Cleaned version up (thanks, Kaz, for explaining your edits in the channel). Not reviewed yet, except I've made journal entry 10 more informative.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

New file up; diff the two attached dumps to see what I changed. Mainly:

- replaced dashes by hyphens (yawn);

- added a new reply from Ilmeni for the case when the player is too late to sabotage (Gilas is listening) but she doesn't like the player enough to suggest it anyway (formerly, she would give the same answer independent on disposition, which isn't a good thing imho);

- moved Farvyn and his clone to a different spot where they don't block the path to the balcony; unfortunately Farvyn seems to wander back to his old spot nevertheless [edit: no longer];

- fixed this bug ("Talked to PC" is prone to the 72-hours garbage collector);

- proofread the journal. You use the word "say" (as in "X said that Y") too often; it can usually be replaced by something like "X suggested", "X advised" etc..
Attachments
dumpkazold.txt
(187.55 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
dumpkaznew.txt
(186.18 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
Last edited by arvisrend on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

- Removed AIWander from (both) Farvyn(s) to really stop him from blocking the way.

- Removed a possibility to get infinitely many ingredients by using the "no family name" topic over and over on Ilmeni after waiting for Gilas to return.

- Farvyn no longer AItravels directly to the spot where Gilas is standing (this used to cause the two NPCs to stand exactly on the same spot if the player would short-circuit this AI by resting), but close by.

- The ghost no longer sticks around if the player storms out of the temple while Farvyn is fighting the ghost or directly afterwards.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

- Some British English americanized and some typos fixed.

- Floating ingreds on the ash pit in the Temple grounded (some needed rotation).

@kaz, please don't double dialogue responses according to whether %PCRace (or %PCClass or whatever) starts with a vowel or a consonant. This is something that should be left to OpenMW; it's not worth your time, not worth the space it takes in the Mainland file, and not worth the bugs it can introduce if anything goes wrong.

Remains to playtest at least 24 branches of the decision tree...
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Played through 24 quest paths and fixed 2 more little bugs (dumps before and after attached; do a kdiff3 to see the exact changes). One of them was rather subtle: Gilas would have his Hello setting set to 30 in the middle of the ritual because he would pass by a point at which the GilasMove script (which should have been stopped long ago, but wasn't, because he didn't finish his AI in time) would set Hello to 30.

Great work, Kaz. It will be merged into the Mainland now.
Attachments
dumpkaznew.txt
(190.24 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
dumpkazold.txt
(189.97 KiB) Downloaded 115 times