q2-17-Mis

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Here's the file updated to work with the newest Mainland (not sure that the old ones don't work with it, but let's not take risk). Eifid and Kaye are corpses-persistent both in the new Mainland and in this file, so that's one less thing to care for upon merge. I have recompiled the relevant scripts, too.

One dialogue error fixed: "Telling a same story twice won't convince me you aren't lying, %PCName. I already know that." I must have read these two sentences several times before I noticed they don't say what they want to say.
Attachments
TR_q2-17-Mis_adamantum_17.esp
(85.03 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
adamantum
Developer

Post by adamantum »

arvisrend wrote:Just so that everyone knows, this is currently unfinished and can be taken by anyone (since Notling dropped it). Only a little part of the quest is missing, but it's the hardest part from the dialogue view.

Here is what's missing: Buy 5 mead (e. g. from the barkeep). Talk about "mead" to Eifid. While he walks down to the basement, challenge Kaye to a fistfight duel. Then, once Eifid has claimed victory, choose the "Wait, he won't go anywhere" dialogue, so that Eifid goes to the bar. When he has arrived at the bar, nothing happens; he just stands there and says "Meet me at the bar" although he already is there. The only way to finish the quest now is by talking to Hozgub about "Hozgub's joke", but that hardly makes sense.

What should happen: anything that would conclude the story in a believable way. My suggestion is this:

Once Eifid has arrived at the bar, he forcegreets the player (once he is sufficiently near and in sight). The player now has the following options:

A: Give Eifid another mead. This makes Eifid fall down (he already has drunk 4 pints of mead in this quest), and now you have good reason to talk to Hozgub and finish the quest.

B: Tell Eifid that he has been on the butt end of a prank. He goes into a rampage, possibly breaking stuff and/or attacking the barmaid, until someone (possibly the barmaid just mentioned) calm-humanoids him. This will require a lot of scripting which I can do.

C: Do nothing (this is to allow the player to buy some mead if he doesn't have enough for option A).

As I said I can do the scripting (and fix the existing bugs like Kaye not getting up, or Eifid getting stuck along his way to the bar); the problem is the dialogue for a drunk Eifid.

Anyone up to the challenge?
I am quoting this ^^^ because I think non-reviewers couldn't see it without using the reply->previous messages exploit. At least I know I can't.

Anyway, those three options are all fine, but it might be even more interesting to be able to give Kaye some restore fatigue (and restore health maybe) potions and his sword (Kaye should probably ask the player for those), so he goes upstairs and pwns the crap out of Eifid. I know it wouldn't be easy to pull this off, but it sure would be fun.

I know I should probably be the one doing this, but I'm buried in exams right now and I'm sure you guys could do better dialogue than me :)
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

adamantum wrote: I am quoting this ^^^ because I think non-reviewers couldn't see it without using the reply->previous messages exploit. At least I know I can't.
Didn't see that. But I quickly tested the file on what's already impletemented:

- on topic "mead",
when you give mead to TR_m2_Eifid: the resultboxs on the following entries trigger 2 errors.
(errors probably caused by "AiActivate potion_nord_mead",
they're "couldn't find Creature/NPC potion_nord_mead" and "CompileAndRun error" )

- if either Kaye or Eifid are activated while they're still knocked down, which can happen whichever way the fight goes, the player gets a bounty for pickpocketing (engine bug? should be avoidable by having Return on the NPC) and gets attacked by both of them <- edit: that's a bug from a MCP option (allow pickpocketing from knocked-out NPCs)

- TR_m2_q_A8_6_KayeSaber doesn't have 'ownership' when it's activated / can be picked up in front of Kaye after the fight
(after tricking Kaye into leaving it on the table then getting him beaten and spared)

Misc comments:

- after saying "How can you be so sure?" to Eifid, the dialogue options are
1-starting a story or
2-showing him "this vampire dust".
Could use a "nevermind" third option, especially in case the PC doesn't have vampire dust.

- "TR_m2_q_A8_6_HoneymouthAmulet" - the quest reward being worth 3000g might need balancing

edit from beyond time
; I recall the scripted movements in this get interrupted everytime you pass by the moving NPC(s), they need their Hello set to 0 while they're on AiTravel.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

8 months later...

Anyone have their eye on this? Else I could (slowly) finish it.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

For graet justice!
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

0day update yo

Nothing new, just dealt with what I'd myself reported (8 months ago) + a few more tweaks,

- couple typos/grammar fixes
- now no longer removes an unchecked 5th pint on the 'mead' line (bug)
- "AiActivate potion_nord_mead" replaced by "PlaySound, Drink", which is for all intents and purposes identical
- even if that was a MCP bug, disabled Activate on Kaye or Eifid while they're knocked down
- Kaye's actual saber is now itself picked up so you get a bounty if caught (then removed and replaced with a nonscripted one via global script instead)
- added "Nevermind" option after "How can you be so sure"
- set Hello to 0 while Eifid travels
- changed "A Redguard vampire? That's strange..." to "A Redguard vampire? Of course..." to keep some ambiguity wrt Eifid's status as a ?total boob or vampire hunter?, matching his dialogue
- strengthened Kaye script with "GetWeaponDrawn" condition to only start combat when fists are drawn, matching dialogue
- now setting everyone's Alarm to 0 in the Inn for a second after the ForceGreeting that stops combat between Kaye and Eifid, in case you were in mid-swing when that happens (needs testing)

todo:

- account for the case where you CalmHumanoid both Kaye and Eifid at the same time
- finish the drunk Eifid line. I'm thinking arvis' plan (Eifid rages around for a spell) except the barmaid just suckerpunches him instead of calm
- nts, remove 3-4 bolts from Eifid so he doesn't keep shooting in melee with kaye
- restore eifid's hello
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Yet more minor edits,

_ added case where they both get calmed. Same as success for Hozgub,
corresponding states 6,7 on Eifid & Kaye
dialogue variants:
(Eifid) "Wait. Wait! Forgive me, Redguard. I thought you were a... There's been a misunderstanding."
(drunk Eifid) "Wait. Wait! This is a misunnert... mis-un-heard-... a, a mistake! Forgive me, Redguard."
(Kaye) "I don't know how that fool came up with the idea to attack me, of all people. But don't think I don't know you had something to do with this!"
(Kaye, drunk eifid) "That drunken fool... It's fortunate you intervened before he got hurt. But don't think I don't know you had something to do with this!"
+ journal 58, "I calmed Eifid and Kaye before their fight got out of hand.", added to conditions on "You tricked me, %PCName. Mess with me again, and you just might get a crossbow bolt between the eyes."

(one potential problem!!!, will have to see whether needs fixing: if it's possible to calm say Eifid with a very short spell, then immediately calm Kaye before he could hit Eifid but after the calm spell expired on Eifid, then you'd end up with both doing nothing and no update.)

_ added to Kaye script: he will now stop battering you if he wins the brawl before Eifid arrives. Didn't make him pick his saber back up after that, maybe should
dialogue: "This crude contest is over. Once you've recollected yourself, %PCRace, think on what it means to challenge a duelist."
+ journal 44: "Kaye won the fistfighting duel. Now to see whether an armed Eifid fares any better..."

- set Kaye's HandToHand back to low when he starts fighting Eifid, otherwise without player involvement he'd keep knocking him out over and over again for 5 minutes

_ sprinkled voices

_ mashed two entries with exact same conditions and results but slightly different dialogue:
"That is not funny, %PCRace. Not funny. I know a vampire when I see one, and this one *burp* clearly has red eyes. No wait, white! Both white and red. Doesn't matter, he is a vampire! Don't try to stop me now."
"I am not drunk, %PCRace. And I can clearly see that his eyes are white. Red. Both white and red. Doesn't matter. He is a vampire!"

_ changed reward "TR_m2_q_A8_6_HoneymouthAmulet" value from 3000 to 420, but didn't change the enchantment (0-25Charm + 15-50 CalmHumanoid), is it too strong?

todo:

- the actual work... (drunk Eifid)

- what if you knock out Kaye before Eifid arrives...
- restore eifid's hello
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Gratuitous progress post, still not done.

- when they stop fighting, Eifid script now also removes damage effects from both (poison/fire/...) for safety

- added "AiTravel, 4050, 4640, 14722, 0" in dialogue results so Eifid goes back to his original position instead of resuming travel down after a fight

- hijacked completion from drunk state,
(Hozgub) "I don't think I've ever seen Eifid so drunk... I wonder how it will all turn out at the bar. Hah hah, this is going to be good!"
Journal 56: changed to "I was able to calm Eifid down by proposing to celebrate his great victory with another drink. He's now heading to the bar..."

-> started last part of Drunk Eifid. Dialogue not very inspired. Will be Journal 61, 62.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Playable version of drunk Eifid is up. Roughly done, not polished, not playtested.

edits:
- entries of topics Eifid, Kaye: fixed and updated order,conditions,
- matching previous dialogue, Eifid now magically disappears if he killed Kaye (Disabled from "Hozgub's joke")
- added edited response on topic Kaye if topic is obtained from Hozgub - default one assumed you'd met him
- made first Journal entry 10 'Finished' (->restart) so you can refuse the quest without it staying in log
- added small delay in Kaye script so he doesn't psychically startcombat Eifid
- Kaye will refuse Training if beaten or tricked
- kicked down Conjuration and Enchanting from Eifid's Trainer skills

new:
- drunk Eifid line finishable. Corresponding quest states:
61 (drunk eifid passing out),
62,64 (knocked out) 63 (calmed) -> 151 / 153 (finish)
- can bluff to make him attack another NPC, because throwing chairs just doesn't work. Alternate reward _Snaketongue if PC so 'betrays' Hozgub.

nts
-> this part of Eifid script: was that only for when he stopped due to Hello (can't hurt to keep it I guess) or are there other ways for him to get stuck that I don't know about?
(";just in case Eifid somehow gets stuck - reminds him to move")

edit: few fixes, thanks @arvis & Rats
- failsafe: Eifid and Kaye attacking each other won't happen if you've attacked Eifid on the way
- negative fatigue often doesn't knock out NPCs if they've just executed an Ai function. Used PlayGroup Knockout as well.
- minor things
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Playtested some, minor fixes and cleanup. Removed useless comment marks. (edit- just realised I also removed leftover markings in a q3_3_captain script - only comments, so harmless)
Can be considered done, won't touch it for the next 2 weeks!

- *might* still be a very low, random chance of NPCs not collapsing at all when on negative fatigue.
If it does still happen, one way around that bug is to force said NPCs into combat with a dummy for the duration they're to stay down

- some 'shared' variables currently aren't used on the other NPCs,
eg. local "eifidconvinced" (along with settings of it in a couple entries) is used on Eifid, but useless on Kaye ?and Hozgub?,
left them in case they get used later. otherwise they'd be safe to remove upon merging if you wish

- reminder to move (or reduce wander) Revas Baldaren so he doesn't block Eifid's travels
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Update, file _7 (finished)
fixed issues arvis reported, notably NPCs will now comment on it if you involve them. Also a couple minor tweaks (topic 'mead' added even if you don't ask what to do, etc.).

For the record, the most foolproof way to ensure NPCs get knocked out seems to be through animation (eg PlayGroup, Knockout, 1)

---------------------------------------------------------

arvisrend edit:

---------------

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 0

Walk the Talk
QUEST NAME: Walk the Talk

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 10

Hozgub gro-Hazor, an Orc in The Inn Between, asked me to help him pull a prank on some adventurers there.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 20

I've agreed to take part in Hozgub's joke. He wants me to convince Eifid, the Nord vampire hunter, that Kaye, the Redguard duelist, is in fact a vampire.
QSTR: Quest_Restart

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 30

Eifid didn't believe the story I made up. I'll need to find another way of convincing him.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 31

A story I made up convinced Eifid that I'm a vampire hunter too. I told him I found out Kaye is a vampire, and now he's heading downstairs to confront him. He asked me to distract Kaye somehow, but I'd need to be quick.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 32

After a bunch of drinks, I've been able to convince Eifid that Kaye is a vampire. He's heading downstairs to confront him. I must act quickly if I want to help either one of them.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 33

I gave some vampire dust to Eifid and told him I found it in Kaye's room. It was enough to assure him Kaye's a vampire, so he's now heading downstairs to confront him. He asked me to help him by distracting Kaye somehow. I'll need to be quick if I want to influence the outcome.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 41

I challenged Kaye to a brawl and he accepted. He will put away his sword when I sheathe my weapon. With his weapon out of reach, he should be an easy target for Eifid.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 42

Kaye thanked me for warning him about Eifid. He told me not to worry as he won't be taken by surprise, but to stand back and watch the show.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 43

I've drawn my weapon while fistfighting Kaye. He was angry that I tried to trick him and refused to continue the duel.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 44

Kaye won the fistfighting duel. Now to see whether an armed Eifid fares any better...

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 51

Eifid was too drunk to be convinced not to kill Kaye, and he did it before I could react.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 52

Eifid killed Kaye after I encouraged him to do so.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 56

I was able to calm Eifid down by proposing to celebrate his great victory with another drink. He's now heading to the bar...

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 57

After I pointed out to Eifid that Kaye in fact wasn't a vampire, he spared him. I guess he figured out what was going on, and wasn't a bit happy that the joke was on him.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 58

I calmed Eifid and Kaye before their fight got out of hand.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 60

Eifid was easily bested, and Kaye chivalrously let him live.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 61

Eifid collapsed at the bar after a drink too many.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 62

Eifid went into a rage upon learning that he had been tricked, but his drunken rampage was cut short. Hozgub must be pleased with the Nord making a fool of himself.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 63

Eifid went into a rage upon learning that he had been tricked, but I calmed him before he could cause any damage. Hozgub must be pleased with the Nord making a fool of himself.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 64

Eifid was angered about getting tricked, and I pointed his drunken rage towards... none other than Hozgub.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 70

I've killed Eifid.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 80

I've killed Kaye.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 90

Both Eifid and Kaye are dead, and I had no small part in that.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 150

Hozgub laughed his pants off when I told him what happened. He congratulated me on handling the situation well and thanked me for a good laugh.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 151

Hozgub was delighted with the chaos his joke yielded. As I told him what happened, he congratulated me on handling the situation well and thanked me for a good laugh.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 153

Hozgub seemed at first disgruntled by the turn his joke took. As I told him what happened, however, he congratulated me on handling the situation well and thanked me for a good laugh.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 180

Hozgub was surprised that his joke got so badly out of hand, but he thinks the victims probably deserved it.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 190

Hozgub was a bit shocked when I told him I killed one of the two adventurers. He called me a dumb %PCRace with no sense of humor.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 200

Hozgub was shocked when I told him that both targets of his prank are dead. Obviously his sense of humor is different from mine.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 250

I've killed Hozgub. I bet he didn't anticipate that kind of a punchline to his joke.
FINISHED!
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Uploading a file with 2 little bugs fixed because I'm going to be useless in the next days :/

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 0

Walk the Talk
QUEST NAME: Walk the Talk

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 10

Hozgub gro-Hazor, an Orc in The Inn Between, asked me to help him pull a prank on some adventurers there.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 20

I've agreed to take part in Hozgub's joke. He wants me to convince Eifid, the Nord vampire hunter, that Kaye, the Redguard duelist, is in fact a vampire.
QSTR: Quest_Restart

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 30

Eifid didn't believe the story I made up. I'll need to find another way of convincing him.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 31

A story I made up convinced Eifid that I'm a vampire hunter too. I told him I found out Kaye is a vampire, and now he's heading downstairs to confront him. He asked me to distract Kaye somehow, but I'd need to be quick.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 32

After a bunch of drinks, I've been able to convince Eifid that Kaye is a vampire. He's heading downstairs to confront him. I must act quickly if I want to help either one of them.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 33

I gave some vampire dust to Eifid and told him I found it in Kaye's room. It was enough to assure him Kaye's a vampire, so he's now heading downstairs to confront him. He asked me to help him by distracting Kaye somehow. I'll need to be quick if I want to influence the outcome.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 41

I challenged Kaye to a brawl and he accepted. He will put away his sword when I sheathe my weapon. With his weapon out of reach, he should be an easy target for Eifid.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 42

Kaye thanked me for warning him about Eifid. He told me not to worry as he won't be taken by surprise, but to stand back and watch the show.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 43

I've drawn my weapon while fistfighting Kaye. He was angry that I tried to trick him and refused to continue the duel.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 44

Kaye won the fistfighting duel. Now to see whether an armed Eifid fares any better...

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 51

Eifid was too drunk to be convinced not to kill Kaye, and he did it before I could react.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 52

Eifid killed Kaye after I encouraged him to do so.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 56

I was able to calm Eifid down by proposing to celebrate his great victory with another drink. He's now heading to the bar...

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 57

After I pointed out to Eifid that Kaye in fact wasn't a vampire, he spared him. I guess he figured out what was going on, and wasn't a bit happy that the joke was on him.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 58

I calmed Eifid and Kaye before their fight got out of hand.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 60

Eifid was easily bested, and Kaye chivalrously let him live.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 61

Eifid collapsed at the bar after a drink too many.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 62

Eifid went into a rage upon learning that he had been tricked, but his drunken rampage was cut short. Hozgub must be pleased with the Nord making a fool of himself.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 63

Eifid went into a rage upon learning that he had been tricked, but I calmed him before he could cause any damage. Hozgub must be pleased with the Nord making a fool of himself.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 64

Eifid was angered about getting tricked, and I pointed his drunken rage towards... none other than Hozgub.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 70

I've killed Eifid.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 80

I've killed Kaye.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 90

Both Eifid and Kaye are dead, and I had no small part in that.

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 150

Hozgub laughed his pants off when I told him what happened. He congratulated me on handling the situation well and thanked me for a good laugh.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 151

Hozgub was delighted with the chaos his joke yielded. As I told him what happened, he congratulated me on handling the situation well and thanked me for a good laugh.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 153

Hozgub seemed at first disgruntled by the turn his joke took. As I told him what happened, however, he congratulated me on handling the situation well and thanked me for a good laugh.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 180

Hozgub was surprised that his joke got so badly out of hand, but he thinks the victims probably deserved it.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 190

Hozgub was a bit shocked when I told him I killed one of the two adventurers. He called me a dumb %PCRace with no sense of humor.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 200

Hozgub was shocked when I told him that both targets of his prank are dead. Obviously his sense of humor is different from mine.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_wil_between Stage 250

I've killed Hozgub. I bet he didn't anticipate that kind of a punchline to his joke.
FINISHED!
Attachments
TR_q2-17-Mis_rot_7.esp
(123.53 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Simply fixed bug reported by DestinedToDie ("stuck with the quest in my log if I kill the quest giver. ")
- TR_m2_q_27_HozgubSCN: OnDeath added
- TR_m2_q_A8_6_HozgubGlobalScript: death detection removed
Attachments
TR_q2-17-Mis_rot_9.esp
(122.29 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

failsafe for Eifid's travel being messed up by resting:

TR_m2_q_A8_6_EifidScript

Code: Select all

If ( cereblation == 1 )										; travel
	AiTravel 4043 4418 14466
	if ( weapons == -1 )	;give Kaye his weapon back if it was removed in dialogue
		"TR_m2_Kaye"->AddItem, "TR_w_adamant_saber", 1
	endif
	set cereblation to 2
ElseIf ( cereblation == 2 )
	if ( GetAiPackageDone == 1 )
		set cereblation to 3
	endif
becomes

Code: Select all

If ( cereblation == 1 )										; travel
	AiTravel 4043, 4418, 14466, 1
	if ( weapons == -1 )	;give Kaye his weapon back if it was removed in dialogue
		"TR_m2_Kaye"->AddItem, "TR_w_adamant_saber", 1
	endif
	set cereblation to 2
ElseIf ( cereblation == 2 )
	if ( GetAiPackageDone == 1 )
		AiWander 0 0 0
		set cereblation to 3
	endif
Attachments
TR_q2-17-Mis_rot_10.esp
(122.32 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

What stage of completion is this quest at?
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Merged into Mainland.

As with q2-29, I am not calling what I did on this a full review, but it's been ages since the last bug in this has been found, and I did review an earlier version. Either way, this quest deserves to be published; it's a wonderful kick in the ass to the game industry. Great job, adamantium and rot!