Notes for a bestiary- contributions please!

Place where in-game literature is written and developed.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Notes for a bestiary- contributions please!

Post by gro-Dhal »

So I had an idea for a bestiary, a compendium of Tamrielic creatures as they would be described by someone who inhabits the world we're making.

Rather than being a boring, functional description of the creature as you might find at UESPWiki, I was aiming for a more superstitious view that takes into account what the animal symbolises, how it fits into the worldview of the (in-game) writers and so on. This is the sort of information that was recorded in medieval bestiaries- see the following link [url]http://bestiary.ca/beasts/beastalphashort.htm[/url].

After I started it occurred to me that this could be a nice collaborative experiment. So who wants to have a go? Pick a creature (no Daedra, could be something as mundane as a horse or dog if you can fit it into Tamriel in an interesting way), and write a short entry for it. I've written two entries already to give an idea of the sort of tone and content i'm thinking of.

As always, don't be afraid to MAKE THINGS UP. Eagles are sacred to Julianos? Cool! Why? Dreugh live for a thousand years? Excellent! What are the implications of that?

This may or may not end up becoming a book for the game, but the idea is to encourage people to contribute a very short piece of writing that forces you to reimagine something fairly ordinary in an interesting way. Because that's how good lore is made. I would really like to see contributions from people who've never written for TR before. I'll be nice, don't worry.

The Moth
There are many kinds of moths to be found in Tamriel, but all are derived from the Luna Moth, which migrates annually between Nirn and its moons in swarms of a million or more and in so doing marks out the safe aurbic currents used by travelers and mystics. In more recent times the moth has become a symbol of the Empire, the Legion and of the Elder Council. They have a relationship with the dead (hence the Cult of the Ancestor Moth), but the nature of this connection remains a secret to the uninitiated. They are not indigenous to our world, but can be found in Skyrim, Cyrodiil and High Rock. Their migrating swarms sometimes attempt to reach Morrowind, but they are killed by the ash cloud of Red Mountain and fall to the ground like countless autumnal leaves.

The Mudcrab
This is a common name given to several species of large crustacean that inhabit silted areas close to water. Though not commonly thought of as predators, all varieties share a taste for flesh and are in turn consumed as a delicacy or as a staple food by many societies. It is common amongst the clans of Valenwood for relatives who have died of disease to be fed as carrion to the mudcrabs, which are then themselves consumed by the family of the deceased. In this way the traditional death rites can be observed without risk of spreading any illness.

Everything is a work in progress. Any questions?
Test
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Re: Notes for a bestiary- contributions please!

Post by arvisrend »

Extra points for making up critters that we DON'T have!

(Also, moth dust could be a m5 ingredient...)
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

This sounds fun! I'll try and think of something to contribute. What about Sload's fascinating take on the Nix? Can we include that?
Infragris
Developer

Post by Infragris »

Interesting! I'lll try to invent some. Note that English isn't my first language, so if I make any blatant mistakes feel free to tell me.

The Slaughterfish
This carnivorous and aggressive creature can be found in lakes, rivers, and along shorelines across Tamriel. They are considered a curse and a pest by all who venture on the water, though their scales are prized by alchemists, and, in certain reaches of Argonia, used as currency. Among sailors the story goes that slaughterfish are the souls of those who betray or kill a crew member, set about by Molag Bal to hunt their former comrades. Thus large groups of slaughterfish can often be seen trailing ships for miles in the open ocean, and slaughterfish are known to occur in far greater number the closer one gets to the fabled Maelstrom of Bal.

PS: I'm reserving the troll...
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Infragris wrote:slaughterfish are the souls of those who betray or kill a crew member
Maybe spin this to only be about certain special overpowered slaughterfish, kind of like not every dog is a hellhound. There are too many slaughterfish around in the sea otherwise, plus vanilla gives a precedent with Old Blue Fin.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

That's great, Infragris! Exactly the sort of thing I meant.

@Melchior- i'm not sure what you're referring to there

@Everyone- Don't forget about our concept art page, lots of inspiration there http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/?p=conceptart
Test
Infragris
Developer

Post by Infragris »

arvisrend wrote:Maybe spin this to only be about certain special overpowered slaughterfish, kind of like not every dog is a hellhound. There are too many slaughterfish around in the sea otherwise, plus vanilla gives a precedent with Old Blue Fin.
Well, it's supposed to be an old sailor's myth, doesn't need to make sense. What if I imply that the souls are continuously reborn upon death?
Among sailors the story goes that slaughterfish are the souls of those who betray or kill a crew member, set about by Molag Bal to hunt their former comrades until the end of time.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

I agree that it doesn't need to make complete sense. I like that they're almost an inversion of real world myths about dolphins and porpoises (drowned sailors helping out their living comrades)
Test
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

gro-Dhal wrote:@Melchior- i'm not sure what you're referring to there
I'm referring to this thread, where Sload portrays a very interesting version of the Nix being creatures from a dream realm: http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=23980&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Haven't had a chance to write anything up yet.
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Rock on.

Assuming we want to make this into a book at some point, would we (roughly) restrict this to fauna from Morrowind or the Empire at large? Either works, but doing the Empire might make it a bit all over the place. In any case, let's not have that restrict anything.

Just as a sort of pointer, I figure it might help if we don't actually give too much of a physical description of the creatures -especially in the case of previously unknown ones-, but do list a bunch of other weird factoids. This leaves all our options open if we ever want to make one, but more importantly, it's also just good writing in that it's frustratingly marvelous.

Short one:

Dreugh

Common parlance necessitates the inclusion of the Dreugh in this bestiary, but its place here among the baser creatures of lakes and oceans is otherwise wholly unwarranted. Pearl divers, shipwreck survivors and many others who make their living by the water will speak to their sentience. Indeed, tales of their deep water palaces come to us from all the known oceans, suggesting their civilization is in few ways inferior to those of the terrestrial denizens of Tamriel. This fact is the basis of a long-standing theory that the Dreugh are survivors from some unknown earlier age of the world, though much reduced in power. Whatever the truth of it, the Dreugh are reclusive and their aquatic habitat means few can follow where they go. Perhaps the catastrophe that separates their epoch of glory from our own taught them the simple virtue of remaining as unfathomable as the waters that are their home.
Last edited by Adanorcil on Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

A comment about your Moth entry, gro-Dhal: Have you heard of the [url=http://www.imperial-library.info/content/forum-archive-mark-nelson]Blight Moth[/url]? Mentioned to exist in Morrowind? It's from an developer quote and didn't appear in game, but still. You may find it interesting.

Also, my entry is below; probably too long and too scientific, I got carried away, maybe I should just write a separate book "Anatomy and Physiology of the Alit":

Alit
The Alit of Morrowind are known to possess a ravenous hunger, attacking and eviscerating travelers unfortunate enough to pass outside one of their rock-roofed dens. An old Ashlander proverb goes: "Better to sit in the mouth of Alit than to sit at his table". The Alit's small stomach and relatively sedentary lifestyle are not enough to warrant such gluttonous behavior, which baffled early Imperial Herpetologists; the answer to the mystery lies in its gaping maw. The Alit raise and nurture their young in the acidic saliva which fills their mouths; the exact egg-laying ritual which places them there is beyond the scope of this entry, suffice to say that both males and females have been known to carry Alit young during the egg and tadpole life cycles. The young Alit consume most of the food which is digested by the acid until their legs have sufficiently developed. Anyone who has seen Alit juveniles crawl out of the parent's mouth have witnessed one of Tamriel's most bizarre zoological phenomenon.

Addendum, for those interested:
Recent necropsies have shown that what was previously believed to be the beast's minute stomach is actually an overactive salivary gland, purposed to supply the creature's gaping maw with the severely acidic saliva. This saliva serves the dual purpose of quickly digesting food which is trapped under the Alit's tongue and can also be sloshed out of its mouth, burning potential victuals.

Alit eggs are prized by alchemists for their quality of being highly resistant to poison. This characteristic becomes less potent in the creatures as they age.

TL;DR
Alit with acid-dwelling babies crawling out of their mouths. And I'm no good at being concise. :P
Infragris
Developer

Post by Infragris »

Adanorcil wrote: Assuming we want to make this into a book at some point, would we (roughly) restrict this to fauna from Morrowind or the Empire at large? Either works, but doing the Empire might make it a bit all over the place.
I think entries from all over Tamriel would be preferable. The thing with these medieval bestiaries is that they would list a badger next to mythical creatures from far, semi-imaginary countries as if they are equivalent. Makes it more interesting and adds to the superstitious tone.
We also have to take the player into account: a book like this could lead people to make wrong assumptions about in-game creatures, or lead people on wild goose chases looking for the Imaginary Deshaan Locust.

Anyway, I wrote a couple more. Added some nonexistent critters this time, for those rare arvisrend TR modder points(tm). Do tell if you think they don't fit the world.

The Snow Whale
Much is written in Nordic lore of the snow whales, majestic beings who live among the highest mountain peaks, and freely move through air, snow and ice as if swimming through water. Children's stories portray snow whales as the singers of clouds, and claim that their emanations are the cause of all the joy in the world. This is why Nords and children alike grow cheerful in the snow, and celebrate the cold weather even as it obstructs their paths and endangers their crops.

The Troll
A large, ape-like monster, prone to lurking in caves and forests across Tamriel. Western breeds are distinguished by a remarkable third eye on the forehead. Trolls have the ability to recover from any wound, and, unless scorched by fire, can even return from death in this way. This has led the Order of Arkay and many Meridian cults to declare the troll a revenant beast, to be exterminated under their various divine pacts. Trollbone is a popular material for armor among the Nords, who believe that the regenerative capacity of the trolls will keep their armor maintained, and may even be transferred upon the user in the hour of need. They are not alone in this supposition: trollbone charms and amulets can be found among the Reachmen, the Bjoulsae tribes and various Bosmer clans. Furthermore, powdered trollbone is a popular ingredient in Nibenese rejuvenation potions, and the extinct Kothringi nomads were said to hammer sharp splinters of trollbone under their skins in times of war.

The Petty Troll (could use a better name)
A diminutive cousin of the western troll, these small three-eyed monkeys can be encountered in southern Pellitine and along the Niben river valley. Originally forest dwellers, these creatures have in recent times moved into the cities, where they are regarded as a pest the likes of rats or street dogs. Packs of petty trolls have been known to rob market stands, attack passersby and, though not carnivorous, they have developed a sinister reputation for cradle-robbing. In the Nibenese totem-worship, the petty troll is considered a minor animal spirit, protector of inexperienced thieves and the more vulgar sort of bandits.

The Carnelian or Imperial Sea-Snail
These massive snails can be encountered in the mangroves of the lower Niben delta, and are easily recognized by the great, horned shell they carry around on their back, which serves them as a home. Among the Nibenese, they are much prized for the vibrant red dye they secrete, which is said to be an exact imitation of the Imperial ruby's color. As such, all official banners and heraldry of the Empire must be painted in sea-snail red, and many villages are dedicated to producing this dye. In the wild these snails rarely grow larger than a man, but in captivity they can grow almost unlimited, and it is not unusual to see their shells used as houses along the east banks of the Niben. Tradition dictates that, once every five years, the Emperor must sail down the Niben and exhibit the Amulet of Kings to the gathered sea-snails, in order to remind them of the color they are to produce.
wollibeebee
Developer

Post by wollibeebee »

Ant:
A common misconception of the ant species are that they are merely tiny, simple insect that lives within miniscule colonies deep within the ground or within old wood. The truth is much, much different. Ant nests are actually all connected, no matter the size of the originally perceived colony. This is due to the fact that the colony (there is only a single one on Nirn) are fractal - although it clearly has an end, so therefore a beginning, one could reason - as each branch with its own four offshoots is one of four offshoots itself, and so on. An ant's size is in direct relation to the depth of a colony. It is believed that the lowest levels have ants twice the size of a common man or mer. The location of the colony's origin is unknown, but a greater mystery is the origin itself. Is it a single solitary queen ant? A mere source of magical power? For what reason does it exist? And for what cause does it motivate the hive? The force remains unknown, for any investigation into suspected colonies only results in its ominous absence.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

(completely offstyle but toasting n epic bread)

mockmouth
The daunting offspring of a giant borne by another creature. Upon encountering a mockmouth, one must promptly insult it or risk being attacked then devoured. They can vary in size and appearance, though they are always greatly misshapen. Mockmouths are of the few alarmingly dangerous beasts one might yet never encounter on any crest, due to both their indeterminate shape, and their being stark anathema to the courteous contest of arms.

hare (ground racer)
Portents of shifting luck that trace and inhabit the warrens of Nirn. Hares can change sex at will, though only when they reach adult age. They breed so confusingly fast that females among a litter are said to sometimes give birth while still in the mother's womb. Depending on its gender when caught, hare flesh is accordingly used to treat barren women or seedless men.

bellfrog
Bulging-bellied uprooters of plants and small trees that manifest by their call announcing thunder. Their stomachs expand so wide that they eventually break their own backs. Bellfrogs are known to burst when exposed to the sun, or hit by rainwater, or when sitting on uneven surfaces, or when sprayed with ash and salt, or when looked upon by the infirm.

windwail (cliff racer)
A screeching curse to both land-dwellers and those who would take to the skies. Cliff racers are aptly named for their speed, which allows them the luxury of announcing their presence the very moment before they fall on a victim. These rapacious creatures have long represented greed, and it is said their wings are ever unfolded in an attempt to intercept all light from the sun. They are repelled by skylamps, cliffs, and saltwater.
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Gotta say, rot's owning this one.
6plus
Developer

Post by 6plus »

The Shalk
A fire-breathing beetle inhabiting the lava-covered Ashlands of Morrowind. Unlike most insect specimen, the shalk's chitin hide is not used as raw material for buildings, armor or weapons by the local Dunmer. This tradition stems from the well-known fact that shalk parts tend to combust spontaneously even years after the shalk's death.
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Dwimmerwort
Though often mistaken for a plant, the dwimmerwort belongs to the kingdom of beasts and is a long estranged cousin of the Wood Elves of southern Tamriel. It is an inconspicuous creature that is wont to carry various grasses and small herbs on its back. Individual specimens are sometimes known to have a preference for a particular species and will spread that plant wherever they pass. When tread upon, they will confuse the unwary traveler and make them lose their way, even on familiar terrain.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

It's heartening to come back from a weekend away to see so many responses. Thanks to all who've contributed so far.

Infragris, I don't have much to say to you that's constructive. You know exactly what i'm after. The bit about the Emperor and the snails is my favourite.

Adanorcil, I don't want to put any major restrictions on possible entries.
Your Dreugh entry is very wordy, but that's not a problem as I see no need to disguise the fact this is the work of multiple authors. The Dwimmerwort looks like something that may not even exist at all except as superstition, which is cool.

Melchor Dahrk, Thanks for the Blight Moth link. Your Alit description is a bit longer than the others, and different in tone (quite technical). I actually think a separate book might be a good idea, if you're up for it.

wollibeebee, The language of your entry needs a bit of tightening up, but perhaps I can help you with that. The concept itself is really interesting and quite complex. There's a fine line between mathematics and mysticism in Tamriel.

rot, Like with wolli I would make a few tweaks to the language before putting any of yours into the game, but this is a thread about ideas and, my word, you've got some of those. I would like perhaps a cursory physical description, but not if you think it'll detract too much from the madder stuff.

6plus, Short and sweet. Maybe add another sentence or two? What's already there is good.

There's been nothing so far that I don't think could be included in an in-game text after a little tweaking, so hats off to you guys. I will leave this thread open indefinitely, so continuing contributions are welcome. MOAR CRITTERS PLZ
Test
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Adapted from creature dialogue TerrifyingDaedricFoe and I wrote for "Skyrim: Home of the Nords.":

Wormmouth

Viscous bipedal lizard-monsters that roam the rugged wilderness of the High Rock-Skyrim borderlands, Wormmouth's are characterized by their insatiable drive to rend flesh with their massive filth-spewing jaws. Known for breeding surprisingly fast given their large size, Nord tradition attributes their origin to the maggots that feasted on the corpse of their Chief-God, Shor. The Witchmen warriors of High Rock commonly don armor stitched together from their thick hides.
Last edited by Yeti on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

The Spriggan
Also known as the Woodsman's Siren, a Spriggan looks like a slender tree from afar, a brazenly unclothed maid from mid-distance, and a mean-visaged wench with long, thorny claws growing at the end of each finger when faced at an arms length – that is, if one dared to extend their arm to measure the distance. The Spriggan are grown and crafted by small, invisible earthen spirits who carve the wooden trunks into Kynareth's likeness in their dim-lit underground gardens and animate them to lure the unwary woodcutters and hunters into their deaths with their wiles. Though there are fables of pure-hearted men earning a Spriggan's love and sharing a bed with them, such tales are always either entirely false or end with blood and splinters. It is also well known that for their tool-crafted mock-beauty the Spriggan have earned the jealous hatred of Dibella and her acolytes. Each time a Spriggan is set afire the goddess paints the flames with joyful colors.
Last edited by Rats on Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Infragris wrote:The Petty Troll (could use a better name)

The Carnelian or Imperial Sea-Snail
I love you, but I also hate Oblivion all over again. (Which, in a vindictive fanboy way, is probably partly why I love this. :P)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Short, but once I thought of it, it had to be done and had to be said in that few words for effect.

Sunbird

The sunbird is a rare creature from the Alinor isles. Throughout its centuries-long life, it is dissatisfied with its form, which it will try to remedy by constantly preening its brilliant feathers with a complete disregard for its own survival. When it eventually dies from exposure, two slightly smaller and weaker sunbirds appear in its place.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Would this be of interest to anybody?

[11/11/2013 10:01PM] <~Haplo> yes, an asexual duckbear who gives birth by shedding its tailpod, which sprouts into a baby duckbear
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

First bit of writing. Adanorcil gave some good critique, so I'm opening this up to more.

The Muh-tusk (name subject to change)
The Muh-tusk are docile, seal-like mammals that are found along the silty coastal regions of Morrowind. Muh-tusk reproduce asexually, and during their mating cycle, their reproductive organs often make pitched noises that resonate within their hardened silk epidermi, dying slowly while giving birth to their offspring. Depending on how they congregate, these noises often combine into melodies that can be heard up and down the coasts of Morrowind. The timing and interpretation of these melodies are often significant to the simpleminded farmers and fishmongers that ply their trade along Morrowind's coastline, often incorporated in local ritual and folklore.
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

For no particular reason, I thought about one for every province (very loosely). This shouldn't be a formulaic thing, just something I personally wanted for diversity.

Summersets: Sunbird
Valenwood: Dwimmerwort
Cyrodiil: Tinmi Dragon (coming soon)
Morrowind: Skrem (coming soon)
Hammerfell: Kagwola (because of course; coming soon)
Argonia: Rattlebird
Elsweyr: ???
High Rock: ??
Skyrim???
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Tinmi Dragon

The Tinmi Dragon is a large aquatic beast of the river Niben and its tributaries. Its folk name refers to its bulk more than to its nature, for it bears no likeness or relation to the winged tyrants of the Dawn, instead having a more mammalian appearance. Though its calves are born pale, its hide is usually a dark umber, dyed by the similarly named riverbed soil in which it is often found basking. The Tinmi Dragon commands a deep respect for the Slave Queen and her memory and will act as a stepping stone across streams for those who intone her name and proceed barefoot in her example.
Last edited by Adanorcil on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Ok great. Some feedback for new entries:

Yeti, I think you mean vicious rather than viscous, but a decent serviceable entry (and the odd mention of Lorkhan is always going to please lore nerds).

Rats, i'm not sure about introducing bloody gnomes to Tamrielic folklore (they're annoying enough in D&D) but I like the last bit about Dibella. And the bit with the splinters.

Adanorcil, sunbirds are also Altmer spaceships right? It would be cool if some sort of connection could be drawn between the animal and the machine, like I tried to do with the moths. The dragon plugs a gap in established lore, which I like.

Haplo, a duckbear? Is that like an Owlbear, but more ridiculous?

Swiftoak, I like the idea, and I know we've already talked about Morrowind's musical wildlife in IRC. I'm still not sure about mammals in Morrowind, but I like the basic concept. You know that if I put this in a book, people will expect to see the creature in-game right? ;)

I'm going to have a think about putting some of these into a game book. First volume will have 4-5 entries, with further potential entries to follow so don't worry if none of your suggestions make it in the first instance.

This thread is still open for ideas!
Test
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Adanorcil, sunbirds are also Altmer spaceships right? It would be cool if some sort of connection could be drawn between the animal and the machine, like I tried to do with the moths. The dragon plugs a gap in established lore, which I like.
They are known as spaceships under that name, but in this case, I was just jamming with the theme of medieval bestiary being misunderstood half-truths and fifteenth-hand tall tales. I just used the sunbird to poke fun at the Altmer, their dissatisfaction with mortality and their fractal nature. The spaceship wasn't really in my mind at the time, but it could be included.

Edit: Wrote about the Tinmi Dragon in previous post.
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

Spindledrem

[more to come]
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
Infragris
Developer

Post by Infragris »

I've had somebody from Project: Cyrodiil interested in the sea-snail idea. Is it OK with TR if I flog that stuff over there?

PS: actually, anyone who has a decent implementable creature idea should probably mention it at P:C or Shotn. I think they have a bit of a shortage in creatures right now.
Last edited by Infragris on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Infragris wrote:I've had somebody from Project: Cyrodiil interested in the sea-snail idea. Is it OK with TR if I flog that stuff over there?
Do it
Test
Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

Post by Terrifying Daedric Foe »

Kohl Frog
A species of amphibian ubiquitous across Black Marsh and the bordering regions of Morrowind and Cyrodiil. Kohl Frogs reproduce in a unique fashion. When a Kohl Patriarch dies in the deepest swamps of Black Marsh its corpse disintegrates into thousands of tiny frogs no more than an inch long. These are swept into the air by the wind and carried hundreds of miles in every direction. During a heavy thunderstorm they fall to the ground with the rain and begin the long journey back to their spawning pools. Kohl Frogs have a ravenous appetite, and once they have exhausted an area of insect life they will eat almost anything else that can fit in their stomachs, including their siblings. The Patriarchs that make it back to their spawning pool can be decades old and the size of a Colovian town-house. In Morrowind they are regarded as Argonian spies and the Dark Elves operate a kill-on-sight policy against them. In Cyrodiil they are harvested to make the hallucinogenic drug Kohllano, which is used in several Nibenese rituals.
'The strange thing about TR is that I think it is by and large accepted that we will finish. We are all the sort of crazy people that would do such a thing. We are inevitable.' ~ Thrignar Fraxix
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

gro-Dhal wrote:bloody gnomes
changed gnomes to spirits
6plus
Developer

Post by 6plus »

The Shalk
A fire-breathing beetle whose males inhabit the lava-covered Ashlands of Morrowind. Shalk females spend their whole lives submerged in the lava because they would freeze to death if they surfaced. Unlike most insect specimen, the shalk's chitin hide is not used as raw material for buildings, armor or weapons by the local Dunmer. This tradition stems from the well-known fact that shalk parts tend to burst into flames spontaneously even years after the shalk's death.

(Changes in italics.)

The Scorpion
There are numerous types and variations of scorpions living in the arid regions of Hammerfell and Elsweyr. Their sizes range from the span of a finger to the size of a horse, or--at least accoriding to Redguard folklore--even the size of an average building. The venomous sting of any scorpion, no matter the size, will kill almost any living being; and conversely can bring back to life most deceased living beings. Scorpions and spiders hate each other, and will attack and try to kill each other on sight. This hatred stems from the war fought between the ancient scorpions and ancient spiders long before the age of men and mer. The war erupted when both scorpions and spiders started to grow wings and began to fly; fearing the other's progress would lead to the own downfall they simultaneously started campaigns against the other. Though the war ended in a standstill and the rise of the elves stopped their ambitions, the bitter hatred remains.
Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

6plus wrote:The Scorpion
There are numerous types and variations of scorpions living in the arid regions of Hammerfell and Elsweyr. Their sizes range from the span of a finger to the size of a horse, or--at least accoriding to Redguard folklore--even the size of an average building. The venomous sting of any scorpion, no matter the size, will kill almost any living being; and conversely can bring back to life most deceased living beings. Scorpions and spiders hate each other, and will attack and try to kill each other on sight. This hatred stems from the war fought between the ancient scorpions and ancient spiders long before the age of men and mer. The war erupted when both scorpions and spiders started to grow wings and began to fly; fearing the other's progress would lead to the own downfall they simultaneously started campaigns against the other. Though the war ended in a standstill and the rise of the elves stopped their ambitions, the bitter hatred remains.
I love this! :)
'The strange thing about TR is that I think it is by and large accepted that we will finish. We are all the sort of crazy people that would do such a thing. We are inevitable.' ~ Thrignar Fraxix
6plus
Developer

Post by 6plus »

Terrifying Daedric Foe wrote:I love this! :)
:oops:

The Giant Newt
One of the rarest and surely the most fearsome creature of Black Marsh is the terrible Giant Newt. This aquatic, but nonetheless often land-dwelling, amphibian has a bulky, tubular body and four short legs; its snout is blunt and toothless. Giant Newts are impervious to practically anything: magic doesn't affect them and weapons glance off their thick and slime-covered hide. They are also completely immune to diseases; unfortunately in the sense that they just don't die to the diseases, but they still carry them for the rest of their lives. Even a very short contact will lead to infection with multiple germs. Fortunately Giant Newts move slowly and can't turn; therefore if a Giant Newt is known to head towards an Argonian settlement, it is simply relocated out of the Newts path.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Contributions still welcome, but i've started compiling these.

Volume 9: http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=317642#317642
Test
Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

Cliff Racers
A strange cross between a flying lizard and a bird, cliff racers infest the entire province of Morrowind and parts of northern Black Marsh. They are believed to reproduce asexually and incredibly rapidly, taking mere minutes to grow from infancy to adulthood. The exact mechanism is unknown because cliff racers never reproduce when observed, even from a great distance. However, should the unwary traveller take his eye off the skies for an instant he is liable to be swarmed by dozens of the creatures.