Name Dedefecation

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

i know no one listens to me, but I still feel i can't be content unless I do point out (re: Haplo's BGSF post) that 'Tear' is in in-game dialogue, and really not exactly a bad name at all (i have never read it as 'teardrop', which is just a wilful anglicisation).

Even if you don't like it, the game also even explicitly provides the alternative name of Dres. Why we need a third, unreferenced, version is beyond me.

My favourite thing about TR is how it can tie in to and expand on things that we imagined on hearing about in the original game, like we're really expanding the game as Beth would have done it. That conversation is one of the reasons I got excited about TR in the first place. I don't really see the need to take a dump on it.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

I like "Tear", "Dres" and maybe even "Tyr". But I don't like "Tyr Dres". In my opinion, it's making the name longer then it needs to be.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Lets just leave it Tear since the name is fine.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I concur.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I think everyone should stop changing their fucking minds
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Haplo wrote:I think everyone should stop changing their fucking minds
I'ma agree with Haplo here.

We shall simply keep it Tear and Dres as its alternative name, because, hell, it makes BC happy. Crucial point, though, is that both of these are used interchangeably in dialogue. Tear Dres is of course also acceptable, because if that wasn't exactly clear, Tear Dres would read as "The Dres Clanstead".

Making the name 'unnecessarily long' is kind of a weird argument, being that it's still the shortest name ever suggested in this thread.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

What do you guys think about renaming Reich Parkeep to Soluthis? Sload was for it in this thread: http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=23992 but I just want to double check.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Sorvathis sounds less like solution. But does it sounds like something else we don't want to sound like?
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Since I put up the claims for the Reichskommisariat, I think arvis' solution Sorvathis sounds best.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Being responsible for putting up interior claims is not an indicator for authority in town naming, as the tone of your post suggests.

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Oh that was not what I meant at all.

I meant it got me thinking about it, and I liked what arvisrend suggested ;) In no way am I making a call here.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Ah. Well, as I mentioned on IRC, either one sounds fine to me, but Soluthis has the advantage of being on maps in the past.

How about we compromise and go a third route like Solenthis or something

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I like Solenthis.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Something about the e in the middle doesn't appeal to me aesthetically.

How about Solonthis?

And yes, I know I'm being completely pedantic here.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I think adding a letter in the middle breaks up the flow of the name as it comes off the tongue.

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Did we ever settle on a different name for Hla Ruhn? I for one really dislike that name.
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

Hey, so I just spontaneously came up with this, what about "Rahn"!
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I like Rahn ;)
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

So the Inlet Bog and the Ash Swamp could use a definitive name.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Whatever we choose to call these regions, I think it would be best to stick to English names for them.

Inlet Bog has sort of grown on me, to be honest. It's hardly a worse name than "Red Mountain" or "Inner Sea" and the definition of "Inlet" fits the region's character.

The final name for the Ash Swamp could ape the Ashlands and be called something like Ashwaters or Ashmires. Or we could just keep the name Ash Swamp as a simplistic, but descriptive illustration of what the region is like.

But I'm not good at coming up with good names for things, so maybe my apathy for using these two placeholders just comes from laziness. :P
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I'm quite fine with both Inlet Bog and Ash Swamp. Ashmires is good, too.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

i detest inlet bogs, ash swamp, and ashmires
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Are we looking for English names, Dunmeri names or is either fine as long as it sounds good?
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

The map Immortal_pigs posted [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=319079&highlight=#319079]here[/url] labels the Ash Swamp the Taahn Mur. I'm not sure who came up with this name, but I'd be in favor of voting on it as our official designation for the Ash Swamp. It's distinctive from other Dunmeri region names and sounds pretty cool rolling off the tongue.

I can't believe I was okay with keeping the name Ash Swamp in my last post a few days back. I must have been having a creativity lapse. :v
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

I think ash swamp and ash mires are sort of cheap, but Inlet Bog is just plain embarrassing.

Personally I'm of the opinion that a solid English name for these regions could be far more evocative than a fictional one, though I also admit I don't have any great ideas for one.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Why not something completely different, like the Gray Meadows for the Ash Swamp?
Test
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Gray Meadows seems alright. I think whatever it is it should not say "Ash" in it. "Bitter Coast" isn't called the "Swampy Coast," "West Gash" isn't called the "Western Rocks." Let's try to be a little subtle? And please, no Dunmer.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Gray Meadows sounds bland to me (no offence Ada), but I can't quite put into words why.

We should at least save Taahn Mur as a possible settlement name.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

In [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=23992&highlight=low+marches]this thread[/url] BC suggested 'the Low Marches' for the Ash Swamp. I like this name very much for three reasons: 1) the word 'march' alludes to the defensive/warlike nature of the Redoran, 2) it alludes to 'marsh' without having anything to do with wetlands, 3) the Redoran do divide their territory into Marches, so this is a nice nod to our new Lore.

Also, to quote, BC:
BC wrote:I personally like the idea of something a little less on-the-nose. E.g. 'the Low Marches', 'the Drowned Flats', and then let the player find out for themselves through NPCs and visiting the place itself that it is an ashmire.
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

Petrified Fen?

Screwing the traditional definition of petrified, but the ash-caked parasols reminded me of petrified wood for some reason. Or we can just make some BS about how the ash-ed parasols are indeed petrfied mushrooms.

Because that's cool. (But I admit the name isn't the strongest, so feel free to come up with something better).
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

I like Gray Meadows, because meadows suggests to me that it's nice and flowery while it's actually a sh*thole. And it seems like a classic Dunmer move to call it a meadow.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

I guess my main objection to it is that it sounds like a name someone would give a nursing home.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

My issue with 'Grey Meadows' is that, while I can see Dunmer using misleading or subtle names, I don't think they'd use outright euphemisms.
Maybe it's not a euphemism. Maybe the Dunmer find the landscape charming and romantic.
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

Strangled Fen is also cool imo.

What about the Inlet Bog though? "Sarcastic Beach"? (jk)

And what about Bosmora?

Can we rename "Ald Erfoud", the Hlaalu settlement in the Armun Ashlands to "Taahn Mur", or do people like the name Erfoud?

What about
"Wet Meadows" for "Inlet Bog"?
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Did somebody accidentally edit my post instead of quoting it? It's a good point though, so I don't mind. :P

For the record, I originally suggested 'Grey Fields' instead of 'Grey Meadows' as I thought it a bit too much of a stretch to call the Ash Swamp 'meadows'.
I also mentioned liking 'Low Marches', and suggested 'Strangled Fen' instead of 'Petrified Fen', as I felt 'Petrified Fen' doesn't really roll off the tongue nicely.

I have no idea on Inlet Bog and Bosmora at the moment. I think Ald Erfoud or Erfoud are fine, as we've more or less been keeping the 2920 names so far, but I don't really feel strongly about the name either way. Taahn Mur might be a good alternative, but at the same time it sounds a little too Dunmer for a Hlaalu settlement. It might be better to use it somewhere else.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

immortal_pigs wrote:Strangled Fen is also cool imo.
To me it sounds like it's trying too hard to mimic "Bitter Coast." I'm also not sure if the word fen is fitting for a Morrowind location.
immortal_pigs wrote: And what about Bosmora?
I'd be fine with keeping it as is, but if someone has a better alternative, I'll get behind it.
immortal_pigs wrote: What about
"Wet Meadows" for "Inlet Bog"?
Sounds a little too obvious to me.
Gnomey wrote: think Ald Erfoud or Erfoud are fine, as we've more or less been keeping the 2920 names so far, but I don't really feel strongly about the name either way.
I've personally never liked Ald Erfoud. Erfoud being the name for a real world town in Morocco is only one reason why I think it should be replaced.

Taahn Mur strikes me as a name that would fit a Redoran town the most. It sort of has a tough and dignified ring to it, similar to Baan Malur. Perhaps it could be the new name for Par Reichkeep? I wasn't overly fond of Solenthis as a replacement for it, even if it's from a Bethesda map.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Yeti wrote:[...] Erfoud being the name for a real world town in Morocco is only one reason why I think it should be replaced.
Ah right. I forgot about that point.
Yeti wrote:Taahn Mur strikes me as a name that would fit a Redoran town the most. It sort of has a tough and dignified ring to it, similar to Baan Malur. Perhaps it could be the new name for Par Reichkeep? I wasn't overly fond of Solenthis as a replacement for it, even if it's from a Bethesda map.
I agree on all counts.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

the Withers ?
Weanwhelk
Ebben Wastes
Tattered Mold
the Clot

Bosmora
Used to hate how it sounds like a place Bosmer live in... but the etymology is just absurd enough to work if you roll with it.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

the Withered March?
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

Bosmora basically means "Woodwood". That's just not a good name. I think someone somewhere proposed "Lan Murha" which seems like a good alternative.