Author
Message Post new topic Reply to topic
Sload
Developer Emeritus
06 Feb 2005

Andothren is one of my favorite cities. It is a beautifully executed concept cleverly adopting expected tropes to construct a model city. The waterfall, the temple island, the steep hills of buildings, and the Dwemer ruin overlooking it all combine to create a wonderful image of a magical merchant city.

But Andothren is sloppy and incomplete. There is a lot of really lazy bleeding, limited detailing, and shortcutting that needs to address. I'd like to finish Andothren off.

Cool?

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:14 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Nemon
Developer Emeritus
18 Oct 2003

Of course. Detail the shit out of that place. If need be, I can also contribute.
Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:03 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
arvisrend
Lead Developer
04 Oct 2010

Glad that someone finally cares for the map 4 bugs! Just a few technical things:

1) Is a cutout of Andothren already made? (I think it's Not who is supposed to be doing these things.)

2) Are you aware of the http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=23783 buglist? Sorry for it being such a mess :( Anyway, all bugs that are not too close to the borders of the cutout (say, just a few feet from it) are fair game (the ones near the borders are too, but they might reappear upon merge when things are bordermatched). As usual, bold them out in the posts when you fix them.
Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:08 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Sload
Developer Emeritus
06 Feb 2005

I have downloaded the most recent file in 4-1, which seems to be identical to the data in the main Map 4 .esp, as well as all interior claims in Andothren.

Thanks for the error list.

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:37 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Haplo
Lead Developer
30 Aug 2003

arvisrend wrote:
Glad that someone finally cares for the map 4 bugs! Just a few technical things
It's not that no one cares, it's just that we are focusing on map 3 bugs before we move to map 4.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:39 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Sload
Developer Emeritus
06 Feb 2005

Some progress

-Been working on small changes to the layout. Added a third, more major gate to the west side, which just had small entrances. Added another staircase to a level adjustment that only had one path and really needed two, and moved the docks into the harbor instead of making the player walk for a cell (pictured). All of these things still need to be debugged and detailed.

-Done a lot of detailing on the east side. The strider port and the alley below it are done, added a waterfall near the entrance dropping into a water static (pictured), hung ropes across the alleys throughout the east side, redid the guildhall plaza so that it now has a big nature section in the middle, redid one of the planters so far so that it actually looks good, redid the stairs by the guildhalls so that they're a little fancier and so that that plaza isn't as sloped, probably some other things too.

-Made 3 street vendor stalls. Going to be about 8 in the city, mostly near the docks, to give it a really bustling, commercial feel appropriate to a hlaalu port city. Currently there's a butcher, a brewer, and a weaver. These will mostly not be useful shops, but at least 1 of them will sell weapons or armor.

new dock.png
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  new dock.png
 Filesize:  363.94 KB
 Downloaded:  252 Time(s)

new waterfall.png
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  new waterfall.png
 Filesize:  395.77 KB
 Downloaded:  276 Time(s)

stalls.png
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  stalls.png
 Filesize:  693.42 KB
 Downloaded:  269 Time(s)

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:16 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
arvisrend
Lead Developer
04 Oct 2010

Sload, can you post your working version of the file?
Post Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Sload
Developer Emeritus
06 Feb 2005

it is not ready to be merged at all.

Andothren Merged 2.ESP
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Andothren Merged 2.ESP
 Filesize:  1.49 MB
 Downloaded:  91 Time(s)

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:22 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
arvisrend
Lead Developer
04 Oct 2010

Sload, 1) how is it going, and 2) have you pathgridded the ints already? If not, I am thinking that one you're done modifying the exts (or drop the file), I should merge it back into Heartland, fix the claim borders and cut it out again for NPCing proper.

This puts 4-20 and 4-18 on hold, of course (and the 4-14 border cannot be resolved), so please answer as soon as possible.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:50 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Aeven
Lead Developer
17 Aug 2008

A small note: I have put up all interiors that needed doing according to Sload's recommendations. They're in Unclaimed as of this post.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:03 am Send private message       Send e-mail       Reply with quote                   up  
Sload
Developer Emeritus
06 Feb 2005

hey ill figure this out over the next few weeks (as i have time off from work)
Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:53 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Sload
Developer Emeritus
06 Feb 2005

Uploading the present Andothren.

Here is the status of the exterior work.

East Side Other than some errors (most notably a missing canal piece that I somehow deleted), the east side has been detailed.

Docks: Still very incomplete. The landscaping around the straights needs to be done over a lot. I want to redo the Dwemer ruin exterior to have a more visible relationship with the city. Ideally, I would like it to include a Dwemer lighthouse.

Temple island & Main Waterfall The Temple Island needs to be redetailed completely, I replaced the dumb statue on the waterfall with a very temporary mockup of what some way of hanging a big Hlaalu banner could look like using a guard tower.

West Side: Very little work has been done on the west side. In particular, I want to closely examine and possibly rearrange the section in which buildings are very crammed together. Detailing badly needed. Don't know what to do about kingfish's waterfalls on this side, they're kinda crummy in implementation.

Andothren Merged 2.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Andothren Merged 2.rar
 Filesize:  480.87 KB
 Downloaded:  141 Time(s)

Post Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:05 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Sload
Developer Emeritus
06 Feb 2005

new file

Andothren Merged 2.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filesize:  479.7 KB
 Downloaded:  117 Time(s)

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:41 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Sload
Developer Emeritus
06 Feb 2005

Pictures showing the main things that I think the exterior still needs done.

AndothrenToDo1.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  AndothrenToDo1.jpg
 Filesize:  259.58 KB
 Downloaded:  238 Time(s)

AndothrenToDo2.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  AndothrenToDo2.jpg
 Filesize:  223.33 KB
 Downloaded:  238 Time(s)

AndothrenToDo3.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  AndothrenToDo3.jpg
 Filesize:  147.09 KB
 Downloaded:  246 Time(s)

AndothrenToDo4.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  AndothrenToDo4.jpg
 Filesize:  254.85 KB
 Downloaded:  242 Time(s)

AndothrenToDo5.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  AndothrenToDo5.jpg
 Filesize:  174.52 KB
 Downloaded:  268 Time(s)

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:15 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

Great work on this so far Sload. I especially like your new docks compared to the old ones.
Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:22 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Sload
Developer Emeritus
06 Feb 2005

here is the most recent andothren file

Andothren Merged 2.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filesize:  478.25 KB
 Downloaded:  136 Time(s)

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:58 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
arvisrend
Lead Developer
04 Oct 2010

Cleaned version. (Will soon be merged.)

Clean_Andothren Merged 2.7z
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Clean_Andothren Merged 2.7z
 Filesize:  437.59 KB
 Downloaded:  105 Time(s)

Post Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:14 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

Can we move this to the archives yet? I assume we have long since merged this file into the Andothren-Thirr Section Files, right?
Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:41 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Sload
Developer Emeritus
06 Feb 2005

I believe so, arvisrend can confirm 100%.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:14 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Gnomey
Lead Developer
19 May 2006

I've finally relocated this thread and moved it here. Take a glance at Sload's to-do list from Jan 05. I think all of the above still needs to be done, (except for the redo landscaping bit), and would like to do some of the simpler stuff as Andothren has become an itch I must scratch. I plan to upload a new South-AT file as well to show that I'm not neglecting that either.
Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:53 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

Cool. Thanks for all the hard work, Gnomey.
Post Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:46 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  

The content of this site is © by the Tamriel Rebuilt community. Morrowind, its expansions, and its content is © Bethesda Softworks.
Forums powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group