Showcase quest designs

Place to discuss history, story, character development, questlines for factions and other specifics.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

rot
Lead Developer

Showcase quest designs

Post by rot »

Posting here because can't make threads in Design...

I think we should have a few very simple, very low priority quest designs to propose for quest showcases. Reasons:

_ you can only ask people to work so much on designs that won't possibly make it in TR without discouraging them. There's a LOT one learns when it comes to quests and scripting, and one single quest only covers a fraction of that. Practice never ends, so they can learn just as fine while working on potentially useful quests

_ new questers looking to join may not even think about the possibility of making something directly for the mod itself (I know I didn't). Lots of wasted time

Reasons against: generic misc quest designs are easy enough to come up with, but finding locations for them in the 'fill-in-the-blanks' model is something else entirely. Especially considering most of map1 & 2 settlements are impeding revoke...
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

I think this is a good idea, despite the valid objections that you've raised.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

rot wrote:what rot said
+1

this is a very good idea and we should definitely implement this. I'll try to throw together some potential quest designs for showcases ASAP.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

TR_showcase_quest1

NPCs (already exist)
"TR_m3_Hanu Drelas" Hanu Drelas in Dreynim Spa, Resort
"TR_m3_Varen Silvey" Varen Silvey in Dreynim, Varen Silvey's Shack

Varen Silvey, a low-ranking Indoril mage in Dreynim village, needs the player's help to get back at fellow mage Hanu Drelas, a guest staying in the Dreynim Spa who offended him some way (by mocking him living in such a backwoods village, his intelligence or skills as a mage, his House, or anything believable).

Silvey will provide the player with some Muck, and tell them to mix it into Drelas' bath water. The mildly poisonous substance ought to have some nasty effects when bathed in.

The player will find Drelas in the "Dreynim Spa, Resort" where she indeed is about to take a bath in a tub. When talking to her, if the player chooses to confess that Varen Silvey sent them to mildly poison the bath, Drelas will thank them for being truthful and award them with a magical trinket of some sort.

If the player decides to go with Silvey's plan they can tell her that they are just there to add some healthy bath salts in the water. The bath tub is a Static "TR_furn_Bath_DG", but the quester should replace it with an identical Activator version of the model so they can attach the scripts needed to do this. After adding the Muck to the water the quester should also think about enabling custom "chimney_smoke_green"'s to make a nice visual effect.

After dropping the Muck into the tub and a quick "Enjoy your bath, ma'am" the player will report back to Varen Silvey that the mischievous deed is done. He will thank the player and give them an appropriately modest reward. Hanu Drelar should also have an appropriate response if the player decides to check back on her.

Multiple endings/alternative paths for the quester to consider: Let's assume that Varen Silvey gives the player Mucks x3. Dumping them all into the tub will make the water so toxic that after bathing in it Hanu Drelas becomes fatally poisoned and is found dead when the player returns. What would happen next? The player can rat out Varen Silvey for the poisoning and get away with it? Or, what if dropping just one Muck into the tub ends up being the best bath ever?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

This is a good idea, and as an aside: if you want to have a non-claim thread in a Claims section, you need to create it in a normal forum, make it an announcement, and then move it in using the Moderator Control Panel.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Completely forgot about this, bump!
Rats wrote:
Was thinking less specific/elaborate designs than this, but it leaves some paths open with is good (even essential I'd say; tho maybe some questers would still be interested in 100% 'implementation' work...)