OE Castle

Development of the Imperial city of Old Ebonheart on the Eastern Mouth of the Thirr River.

Moderator: Lead Developers

gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

OE Castle

Post by gro-Dhal »

This is a big element of Old Ebonheart and needs to be discussed. We need to list every important NPC and organisation that will be based within the castle itself (as opposed to the town). So far i've got:

-The Mages Guild
-An imperial VIP (Proconsul/Governor/Lord Marshall/Grand Moff)
-The Duke of Deshaan? This is an old idea, stemming from the fact that Deshaan isn't as open to the Empire as the rest of MW.
-Tarhiel (RIP)

Is there anyone else? I imagine TF has some ideas.
Test
Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

Post by Terrifying Daedric Foe »

An envoy from Great House Hlaalu to ensure the Imperials don't infringe on Hlaalu monopolies (alternatively, this could be in one of the repurposed buildings in the city).
'The strange thing about TR is that I think it is by and large accepted that we will finish. We are all the sort of crazy people that would do such a thing. We are inevitable.' ~ Thrignar Fraxix
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

About Tarhiel, we need to figure out what happens if the player arrives in OE before he has seen him fall down.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

arvisrend wrote:About Tarhiel, we need to figure out what happens if the player arrives in OE before he has seen him fall down.
He's just not there. "Off on one of his experiments, i'm sure he'll turn up sooner or later"
Test
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Commander of the Legion in Morrowind.
Chamberlains and whatnot for actually maintaining the castle, don't see too much of that.
My vault setup was great, and I think could just be straight copied over. There was some talk of putting some artifact anvil in there as an easter egg of sorts.
Governor used to be the head of the province, and the VIP, though then we shifted the Pro-Consul to the head. Now there was some talk about the king being in charge and that just struck me as completely wrong. If the person in charge is not the king, and I feel rather strongly that it is not, they should be here.
Duke of Deshaan being here was already mentioned, but I want to restate my support of that concept. I also like my old character concept for him being a complete ass that no one likes.
On the subject of character concepts, I think my favorite was for the leader of the Mages guild branch being comically old and senile, then keeling over of natural causes at some point.

As far as the actual mechanics for the claim goes, I feel like there should be a thematic consistency to the placement of certain things (rugs, lanterns, silverware, tapestry colors) akin to what I was doing back in the day. I also feel like the claim would go far faster if it was made as a shell, then split up akin to the necrom catacombs.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Rats
Lead Developer

Re: OE Castle

Post by Rats »

gro-Dhal wrote: -The Mages Guild
Hold on. I don't recall this being discussed on Friday. What about their already existing hall in the town ([url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=12342&highlight=i3280imp]i3-280-Imp[/url])?
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Rats wrote:
gro-Dhal wrote: -The Mages Guild
Hold on. I don't recall this being discussed on Friday. What about their already existing hall in the town ([url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=12342&highlight=i3280imp]i3-280-Imp[/url])?
Looked for that but didn't spot it, sorry
Test
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

gro-Dhal wrote:Looked for that but didn't spot it, sorry
Oh, gotcha gotcha.
Thrignar Fraxix wrote: I also feel like the claim would go far faster if it was made as a shell, then split up akin to the necrom catacombs.
This is a great idea.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Double-post. These come largely from the plans TF made way back.

- the Great House ambassadors (five Imperial diplomats given the horrible job of keeping the lines of communication open with the House assigned to them)
- Ministers of Trade, Treasury, etc
- Head of the Navy
- Embassies(?); Ebonheart-on-Vvardenfell had Skyrim and Argonian Missions. Do we want Missions from other provinces, not bordering Morrowind, eg. Elsweyr Mission, Orsinium Mission (might be fun)?
Tondollari
Developer

Post by Tondollari »

What is Orsinium like at this time? I thought it was just a refugee city.

Also, what about Hammerfell? IIRC, there is a weapons merchant in town with connections to Hammerfell. He could be linked to someone in the embassy.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

I suggested Orsinium due to the fact that the Orcs in Morrowind are mainly mercenaries/barbarians and having Imperialized Orc ambassadors would be a nice way to break that mold. The Orsinium Mission would possibly seek to help out their enslaved kin (the Orcs are often times treated as beasts rather than mer) as well as try to communicate with/represent their wild [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=23882]Malahk-Orc cousins[/url].

Hammerfell would be fine too, I guess, since many Redguards in MW are also portrayed as a fighter archetype.

Also, regarding this:
gro-Dhal wrote:-An imperial VIP (Proconsul/Governor/Lord Marshall/Grand Moff)
The Proconsul and the Lord Marshal are two different persons. The Proconsul is the head of all diplomats, whereas the Lord Marshal (aka Lord of Ebonheart) is the head of the Legion. Also, the Governor would be their separate person too.

[url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=21531]Sload's Notes on the government in Morrowind[/url] is largely a solid piece of work, though the fact that the non-military power is divided among three head honchos (the King/the Governor/the Proconsul) is something we should perhaps debate on.

I'm under the impression that the current stance is that we've amalgamated the Proconsul and Governor into one position (the Proconsul, who'd reside in OE until being persuaded by the Hlaalu to move his ass to Narsis). I fully understand Sload's reasoning for having them both around, but I'm bit on a fence here. It would make the Imperial politics a lot clearer having just a single person as the number one Imperial statesman in the province (making his own decisions and voicing the Emperor's will) -- as well as not having OE become too bloated with Imperial VIPs (though this may be kind of a non-issue; this is the Place).
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Rats wrote:I suggested Orsinium due to the fact that the Orcs in Morrowind are mainly mercenaries/barbarians and having Imperialized Orc ambassadors would be a nice way to break that mold. The Orsinium Mission would possibly seek to help out their enslaved kin (the Orcs are often times treated as beasts rather than mer) as well as try to communicate with/represent their wild [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=23882]Malahk-Orc cousins[/url].
Are there Orc slaves in Morrowind? I don't think there should be- it doesn't seem to fit their defiant and almost masochistically hardy temperament.

Some way of reflecting the strong Orcish contingent in the Legion might be a good idea here though- maybe some other sort of envoy from Orsinium? Not a mission, more a diplomatic envoy to the Legion commander (who is an authority figure they would respect more than any civilian ruler).
The Proconsul and the Lord Marshal are two different persons. The Proconsul is the head of all diplomats, whereas the Lord Marshal (aka Lord of Ebonheart) is the head of the Legion. Also, the Governor would be their separate person too.
Yeah ok, head of the IL would make sense here I think. Equivalent to General Tullius in Skyrim. Not sure I like the title Lord Marshal though. Legate or just General would be my preference.
Sload's Notes on the government in Morrowind is largely a solid piece of work, though the fact that the non-military power is divided among three head honchos (the King/the Governor/the Proconsul) is something we should perhaps debate on.

I'm under the impression that the current stance is that we've amalgamated the Proconsul and Governor into one position (the Proconsul, who'd reside in OE until being persuaded by the Hlaalu to move his ass to Narsis). I fully understand Sload's reasoning for having them both around, but I'm bit on a fence here. It would make the Imperial politics a lot clearer having just a single person as the number one Imperial statesman in the province (making his own decisions and voicing the Emperor's will) -- as well as not having OE become too bloated with Imperial VIPs (though this may be kind of a non-issue; this is the Place).
I agree that i'd prefer to amalgamate them, but that's a discussion for Master Planning. If we have the Legion commander and the duke here i'm less determined for the proconsul to live here as well, and I know there are some people who would prefer for that person to remain in Narsis (where they have a pretty sweet int, I understand).
Test
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

A suggestion for the VIPs of the Imperial Government in OE Castle.
  • The Legion
    *Head of the Legion aka Lord Marshall/Lord General/General/Legate/whatever sounds the coolest
    *Head of the Navy aka Lord Admiral/Baron Admiral/whatever sounds the coolest
    *Knight of the Imperial Dragon every Duchy/District has one
    The Provincial Government
    *Provincial Governor leads the provincial government in Morrowind, acts as the superior for the Dukes (except the Duke of Mournhold, the King) and the Ministers in OE.
    *Minister of Provincial Affairs handles stuff related to the Great Houses and their Councils as well as the Imperial Guilds
    *Minister of House N Affairs x 5 (a designated one for each House)
    *Minister of Treasury and Trade handles the Imperial treasury and trade and stuff
    *Duke of Deshaan - in exile
    The Municipal Government
    *Mayor of OE - come up with a title, other than a Duke since there already is a Duke in Mournhold District
    *Lord Chamberlain - manages the castle
    *Captain of the Townsguard
As you can see, in this plan I've kept the 'Governor' title. This plan tries to combine what I believe are the best parts of TF's original OE NPCs concept and Sload's notes on the Imperial government in MW. Here's a graph I dug up (by Sload) to illustrate the situation in the whole province.

[img]http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/files/thumbs/t_untitled_462.png[/img]
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

I'm in a hurry, so here are some basic comments:

1. Where does the King fall in this hierarchy?

2. It's Proconsul, not Preconsul

3. OE doesn't need a mayor. The duties of that role can easily be filled by whoever the ranking official in OE is.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

1. Governor -> (King) -> Duke

Going by that diagram, the king, as one of the dukes, is a step below the governor in hierarchy. That being said, I'm assuming that the diagram doesn't show the power hierarchy so much as the chain of command/accountability.
In other words, while the dukes of Morrowind are probably nominally largely autonomous, and in Helseth's case actually largely autonomous, the governor probably still holds a certain amount of sway over the dukes, for instance through the power of veto. Another possibility is that the governor, similarly to Roman dictators, supersedes the dukes in wartime, while having very limited power in peacetime.

3. I do think some of those positions could probably be merged. I suppose that might be a question of demographics, though. How many big-wigs do we want in Old Ebonheart?
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Gnomey wrote:Another possibility is that the governor, similarly to Roman dictators, supersedes the dukes in wartime, while having very limited power in peacetime.
Wouldn't this be the domain of the Legion's head honcho?

The more I think about it, the more it seems to me like the position of Governor in the Imperial government is superfluous. Any role he could possibly serve can easily be covered by the Proconsul, Legion Commander or the King.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I believe the governor is a superfluous character.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I'm all for removing the governor position. My guess would be that 'governor' is the typical Imperial position for a ruler of a province, such as Provisional Governor Amiel Richton, but that most, if not all, governors have since been replaced by more local figures, generally nobility like Helseth or, in Hammerfell, Lhotun.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Agreed that the governor and proconsul are probably the same person. The focus of OE should then be as a central military command post, housing the Legion and Navy commanders. Maybe also some sort of Ducal council chamber for when they all gather together (it's kind of neutral ground for all of them).

The Duke of Deshaan and various other minor characters like Tarhiel can also be in residence. It's a big castle, probably designed as the last line of resistance should the natives rise up in force.
Test
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

The Blades is an prestigious service order for citizens demonstrating the greatest loyalty to the Emperor. To be named to the Blades by the Emperor is a great honor, and publicly acknowledged members serve openly in noble courts and diplomatic posts. Privately, many Blades members act as the Empire's intelligence agency. Such agents conceal themselves with secret identities, operating in disguise as couriers, observers, and spies throughout the Empire.
Old Ebonheart seems like an ideal place for stationing a Blade diplomat.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

THE MISSIONS & ENVOYS of OTHER PROVINCES
a proposal

High Rock Mission
Ambassador Doniphan Messor
Ambassador Esolde Vene
+ 1 or 2 of their bodyguards/servants
Orsinium Ambassador Ogrub gro-Nag

Two ambassadors from the Imperial Province of High Rock with which the Royal family of Morrowind has close ties. The two ambassadors are personal friends of King Helseth and accompanied him when the then-Prince returned to Morrowind after failing to claim the throne of Wayrest. Their official job is to represent High Rock and the Breton people in Morrowind, but they also serve another purpose. Fiercely loyal to Helseth their main function is to provide the Monarch with spies' reports coming from the far-west and help him plot his revenge against his stepsister Elysana of Wayrest. The ambassadors are also close with the Barenziah, delivering messages between the Queen Mother and her contacts in High Rock.

The High Rock Mission also houses an ambassador from Orsinium, Ogrub gro-Nag, who has been given a shamefully small office (more like a broom closet), which is symbolic of the status of the city-province. The Orsinium Ambassador is trying to represent all the Orcs in the province; namely aiding the orcs being persecuted over Malak worship (and failing massively in the task).

Elsweyr Mission
Ambassador-Prince Ji'Morashu-ri
Ambassador Dro'jorr
+ 1 or 2 of their bodyguards/servants; and a few escaped slaves

Comprised of a last-of-the-litter-prince-made-ambassador and his old advisor the Elsweyr mission is trying to find a way to combat the enslavement of the Khajiiti people diplomatically. They do this mainly by discussing with the Dres and Hlaalu Ambassadors in OE as well as sending written appeal notices to high-ranking Great House members (which obviously go straight to the fireplace).

Summerset Isle Mission
Ambassador Elteryn of Firsthold
+ 1 or 2 bodyguards/servants

The sympathetic Elteryn of Firsthold is the ambassador from the far-away province of Summerset Isle, gladly delivering messages between Queen Hlaalu Morgiah of Firsthold and her royal family in Morrowind as well as doing general pre-Thalmor spying.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Rats, great work! These sound like good plans to work with!
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Rats wrote:pre-Thalmor spying.
I understand that Altmer live for hundreds of years, but is there any existing lore to suggest that this early before the war the Thalmor were already resurgent? If so, then surely given the time period and the location (Morrowind), this Thalmor must be of low importance and probably somewhat hates his position (sent to the backwater province... at least it wasn't Argonia).

On a somewhat separate note, I'd like to entertain the notion of the head cook for the Imperial Kitchens being a somewhat lesser version of Lord Varys (the Spider) from Game of Thrones; has his ears in every room and willing to trade in rumors and secrets for a price (or an exotic ingredient/recipe). Could make for some fun misc. quests or a short stop along a more major quest line.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Telvayn

Post by Telvayn »

Haplo wrote:I understand that Altmer live for hundreds of years, but is there any existing lore to suggest that this early before the war the Thalmor were already resurgent?
The Thalmor supposedly started acting in the open (at least on Summerset) shortly after the Oblivion Crisis (claiming they ended it) and just 10 years later were able to start overthrowing the Altmeri rulers. And while Morrowind certainly isn't the most important place for their short-term plans, they'd probably want to keep tabs on any potential allies Morgiah could have in her homeland.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

If we do include any reference to the Thalmor (I don't really like the idea), then they should never be referred to by name. Keep it subtle, like an Easter Egg.
Test
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Agreed the Thalmor should be kept Easter Egg-ish. What I meant with the term "pre-Thalmor" was that 'em bloody Altmer are always up to no good.

Here's some more NPC concepts for OE.

THE CIVILIAN INHABITANTS in OLD EBONHEART CASTLE

The Household

Lord Chamberlain Caros Cocceius
Captain of the Guard Erys Mundrethi
Court Wizard Tarhiel
Master of the Hunt Vattian Clanler
Master of the Kitchen Hears-Through-Walls
+ a handful of servants/sidekicks/apprentices for each

The Household is the permanent staff at the Old Ebonheart castle; their main purpose is to keep the Castle's everyday things running and have everything in check in case the King or some other bigwig (eg. the Emperor) decides to pay a visit. The composition of the household with its fancy titles and ranks is modeled after that of a Cyrodiilic castle, which underlines Old Ebonheart's uniqueness within the province and on the Empire's desperate attempt to force it's way of bureaucracy on the alien land. Caros Cocceius is the acting Lord Chamberlain. Despite the seemingly noble title he's a commoner hired for the position. Erys Mundrethi is the captain of the small household guard, who don the Royal Guard Armor guarding the King's personal guest quarters. Since the King is not staying in Old Ebonheart the guard's and its captain's job mainly a symbolic one. Still, having a member of the Hlaalu-pledged Mundrethi family in such a position is valuable to the Great House. The Court Wizard Tarhiel has recently gone missing and his apprentice is starting to worry. Vattian Clanler is a glorified gamekeeper who's in charge of making sure the area surrounding OE has game to hunt, but with Morrowind's weird and hard-to-figure-out fauna and the King's absence his job is now reduced to keeping the rat population of OE's sewers at bay. Hears-Through-Walls is the Master of the Kitchen, an able Argonian cook; (from Haplo:) somewhat lesser version of Lord Varys (the Spider) from Game of Thrones; has his ears in every room and willing to trade in rumors and secrets for a price (or an exotic ingredient/recipe).

The Provincial Cabinet

Minister of the Treasury Parandil
Minister of Justice Belisatha Mede

Minister of House Hlaalu Affairs Glaucia Rumariil
Minister of House Redoran Affairs Hjortyn Silver-Tongue
Minister of House Indoril Affairs Aramius Marolus
Minister of House Telvanni Affairs Menervius Venius
Minister of House Dres Affairs Dels Sur-Enaren

Minister of Temple Affairs Nerasa Veran
+ a handful of servants/advisors/family members for each

The Ministers are civil servants who are responsible of their respective fields, elected for life by the Proconsul.

Parandil is the Minister of the Treasury. Nervous and pedant by nature, the Wood Elven calculator suffered a slight mental breakdown after the vaults of OE were recently broken into by forces unknown. (Note: this is a quest hook for the OE Mages Guild who are responsible for the castle vaults' magical defences; the perpetrators are an unnamed Tong, quite possibly Indoril-sworn Guild of Daggerlads)

Belisatha Mede is the Minister of Justice whose job is to observe that the the Juris Imperator Tamrielicus is obeyed throughout the province in all matters. This impossible task has left her somewhat wry and cynical. She also acts as the supreme judge in the province to which all Imperial citizens can complain about the unfair treatment they've suffered in the hands of the local courts (another absurdly large task).

The Ministers of House Affairs are not proper members of their respective house, rather they are Imperial bureaucrats charged with keeping the lines of communication open with each of the Houses. They meet and converse with the ambassadors occasionally sent by the Houses as well as keep tabs on what is going on in the far corners of the province by doing official visitations/inspections as the Proconsul's representative. The ministers that have been appointed each represent the Empire's fundamental failure to understand how the Great Houses really think and work.

Glaucia Rumariil, an Imperial, is the young Minister of House Hlaalu Affairs chosen for the task for her extrovert and curious nature. Fascinated by what could be described as a form of 'Morrowindish orientalism' she's satisfied with her post thinking it's the easiest of the five which is true, but with a downside -- in fear of insulting and ruining the friendship she thinks she's gained with the Hlaalu she'll much rather turn a blind eye to the few issues the Empire's might have with them (slavery, for one).

Hjortyn Silver-Tongue, a Nord, is the Minister of House Redoran Affairs; her appointment was thought to be a clever political move by the Imperial government due to the large Nord populace in the Redoran controlled territories and her deep understanding (by Imperial standards) of the Redoran culture. Unsurprisingly, neither her being a Nord or a bookwise scholar with little prowess in battle has won any favors from the Redoran Council, though only a handful of the meetings with the Great House have ended in bloodshed.

Aramius Marolus is the Minister of House Indoril Affairs. The Minister is married to Llethe Marolus, a Dunmer belonging to a minor Indoril-sworn family, which was thought to ease his work with the Great House but did the exact opposite. His son, Potemus Marolus, is the young Admiral of the Imperial Navy.

Menervius Venius is an elderly battlemage-turned-diplomat who's the Minister of House Telvanni Affairs. He was chosen for the job with the notion in mind that the Telvanni lords would rather listen to the words of their fellow mage, a notion which turned out to be false. Menervius hasn't had much contact with the Telvanni Council since he first tried to invite himself to one of their irregural meetings -- a meeting that was immediately magically relocated to a nasty pocket realm from which the battlemage barely made it out alive.

Minister of House Dres Affairs is Dels Sur-Enaren, a native and a member of the Great House Dres. The plan to have the Dres warm to the Empire by having one of their own working with the Empire backfired since the reformist Dels Sur-Enaren has been branded a traitor by his kin and his entire existence is denied by the Dres.

There's also a Minister of Tribunal Temple Affairs, Nerasa Veran, who is also a native and a former priest of the Temple. She is currently unable to perform her duties as normal because of an ongoing Ordinator investigation about her alleged connections to the Dissident Priests.

The Ducal Council Room

Duke Phyrios Mattimus

The Ducal Council Room is a place reserved for the rare instance that the Dukes should feel like having a council session. Now the Council Room is empty all except for Phyrios Mattimus, the Duke of Deshaan, who has fled his 'unruly' Duchy.

THE LEGION in OLD EBONHEART
a proposal

Legion Headquarters

Lord General Caecalia Victrix
Knight of the Imperial Dragon Olfvur Steel-Skin
+ a handful of soldiers / servants
Last edited by Rats on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

the above post updated to include concepts of the Ministers
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

It looks good to me.

As far as Hjortyn Silver-Tongue is concerned, I'm not quite convinced that being a Nord and former legion member would warrant such hostility. Redoran do appear to respect warriors, even Imperial warriors. I think she could be fleshed out a little.
Maybe she used to be involved with House Hlaalu in some capacity, and House Redoran assumes she still is; or maybe she hit it off too well with the local Nordic population and House Redoran sees that as a threat. Or maybe she is very observant of her Nordic religion. Or all of the above.
More simply, she could be a scholar chosen due to her deep (by Imperial standards) knowledge of House Redoran, but she is not a warrior so nobody in the council really respects her. Which could be funny if she herself predicted that outcome but couldn't do anything about it.

Edit: Also, what about adding a Minister of Tribunal Temple Affairs? It seems as though such a position would be just as -- if not more -- important than the various House ministers.

While I'm at it, the paragraph on ministers is rather wall-of-text-y. I didn't have any trouble reading it, but others might.
RyanS
Lead Developer

Post by RyanS »

I made a quick map showing the various OE castle interiors.

Old Ebonheart Castle:
[img]http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah37/RyanSTR/Tamriel%20Rebuilt/0d8e5691-f42f-454f-8652-53b9ca98a327_zps3f1cd3d8.png[/img]

I was thinking that #1 would be the council chambers, and maybe the planned Ducal Council Room. And #2 would be the living quarters/offices for most of the VIP's.(As well as maybe the treasury or the missions?) And #3 could be the Legion headquarters. But that's just what I am imagining. :P

edit: I don't know where the existing castle interiors are. (or if they are even accessible.) Although I do know that there was a plan on redoing a big chunk of them. So anyways, sorry if the above ideas counteract with how those interiors were made.
Last edited by RyanS on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

RyanS wrote:edit: I don't know where the existing castle interiors are. (or if they are even accessible.) Although I do know that there was a plan on redoing a big chunk of them. So anyways, sorry if the above ideas counteract with how those interiors were made.
[url]http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=19395[/url]

The current castle interior we have is largely unfinished and largely incompatible with our plans and the exterior. Some chunks of it may be able to salvaged.

I appreciate your effort to make sense to the exterior we have, btw, even though it will most likely see a remake. I had similar thoughts in mind.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Remake the exterior? Why?
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

I dont think this needs to be remade, but how bout an archery range in the yard space between 5, 7 and 2. A couple carts outside wherever they keep most of the food storage too.
my opinion.
Ironed Maidens
Developer

Post by Ironed Maidens »

I still believe there should be some kind of unique dragon model stationed somewhere in the exterior of the castle (preferably on the top of it) because we are talking about the castle thats been the figurehead of imperial presence in morrowind for the past some-odd hundreds of years. there would be a proverbial remake of the akatosh well/the dragonfires, and idk how old ebonheart could possible be imagined without it...
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

What is happening with this? It seems priority. Let's plan this and open the claims. Quest and NPC planning should begin in earnest for castle to best fit the interiors here. Are the towers and walls and the side buildings started? It'd be nice to see this area finished out soon.
my opinion.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

sasquatch2o wrote:What is happening with this? It seems priority. Let's plan this and open the claims. Quest and NPC planning should begin in earnest for castle to best fit the interiors here. Are the towers and walls and the side buildings started? It'd be nice to see this area finished out soon.
Some of the NPC's have been planned in [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=323593&#323593]this post[/url] and [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=323668&#323668]this post[/url]. A few more VIPs are needed, imo, such as a Blades representative.

Once the NPCs planning is done it's time to look at the castle exterior layout and figure out which building should house which NPCs. RyanS's plan looks good on that front.

The [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=19395]interior[/url] is outdated and unfinished and doesn't match the exterior so it needs to be redone in a fashion similar to the OE sewers. Some of it may be salvaged, some of it won't.

I'll add the archery range and the carts you mentioned to flesh out the courtyard. I also agree with Ironed Maidens that the castle is in need of a unique statue preferably atop the bell tower. A unique dragon would be nice, yes. Or a statue of Tiber Septim in the courtyard.

edit: as for unlocking claims for the walls and towers: I am hesitant to say which of the towers and keeps surrounding the castle proper are 'just' guard towers and which could house something else (as in Embassies, Blades, other VIPs). The tiniest towers will be unlocked ASAP.

edit2: 3 new claims made varying in size.
Ironed Maidens
Developer

Post by Ironed Maidens »

shitty picture of what the statue should look like, placed atop the very top of the castle or the bell tower, as rats said. akatosh well at the bottom, akatosh perched atop it, always emitting a red (or even blue might look better, tbh)flame that illuminates the night.

http://imgur.com/wbaYfx6
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

My idea for the statue is inspired by Ironed Maidens fantastic rendering of Akatosh. I'd like a solid metail dragon statue hollow throughout but with a baseplate and grate for fire and ash removal in the stomach. The heAt would dip down into the base of the statue and up again and out through the nose and mouth. We can stretch reality and have this part glowing as well. The entire statue and it's base would strongly radiate heat a useful feature on cold nights. This also make the dragon the heat source rather than the statue being roasted by a brazier beneath him. The design also naturally produces a roaring sound. (See rocket stove)
my opinion.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Sounds cool but if we have a statue here i'd prefer it to be of Talos/Tiber Septim. 'Ebonheart' is a clear reference to Lorkhan and Talos is Lorkhan's metaphysical successor.
Test
Ironed Maidens
Developer

Post by Ironed Maidens »

Ok but akatosh is basically all encompassing of talos and jylls and the empire....
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I hadn't considered having a statue of Talos in Old Ebonheart, but I fully endorse the idea. As we have two Ebonhearts, we might as well use them to illustrate the duality of Talos/Akatosh. I'd also argue that Talos is generally more significant for Morrowind, between the Nords with Wulfharth, Tiber Septim and Wulf at Red Mountain and naturally the heart of Lorkhan itself.