A Siltstriders Guide to Morrowind

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Jaberkaty

A Siltstriders Guide to Morrowind

Post by Jaberkaty »

Hi,

First, thank you. This mod is amazing. I've been wanting to explore and created a character to do exactly that. She's a naturalist/scholar.

I'm playing her as a field researcher who has been sent to explore Morrowind and environs. She takes note of flora and fauna. She's a learned scholar and practiced in alteration, alchemy, speechcraft, mercantile as well as some refined martial arts (light armor and longblade).

Essentially she is exploring the Sacred East (she arrived in the Inlet Bog around the 19 of First Seed after taking a boat from Ebonheart to Tel Branora.

Is there any interest in my posting my in-character notes? I won't subject you to my horrendous sketching (oh yes, I'm that kind of nerd). It will include spoilers on quests, items, and locations. Just about everything.

This could be a fun guide for newbies. I'll be doing it regardless, but I don't want to flood the system if there is no interest.

Thank you for your time.
Evil will always triumph because Good is dumb.

-Dark Helmet, Spaceballs
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

I say go for it! It's always good to get this kind of exposure to the project.
Jaberkaty

16 to the 17 of Last Seed

Post by Jaberkaty »

I arrived in Vvardenfell yesterday and have already experienced quite a bit of local color in flora, fauna and assassins. I spent much of the morning taking fungi samples in the small settlement of Seyda Neen after being processed for my misunderstanding back on the Mainland (That amulet required further study, which preempts civil ownership. Something Imperial law has yet to catch up on). Apparently, I caught his imperial highness' eye for some reason that allowed for an early release. I'm not complaining, though such mundane matters will have to wait, I have to get back to the Mainland.

I gathered some of the local flora, including some beautiful native mushrooms including the Luminous Russula and Violet Corprinus.

Seyda Neen has rustic charm, though not much in the ways of amenities. There is Arrille's Tradehouse owned by the eponymous high elf who offers a decent array of general merchandise. I have been hard pressed to find better armor with my limited means. I was even able to pick up a fine iron sabre, my fencing master would even call it decently balanced, if a little crude.

I wandered the bogs looking at the glorious Draggle Tails. The Coda Flowers are a sight to behold for any botanist, and they have significant properties that even moderately skilled alchemists, such as myself, can make good use of, including levitating - always handy.

I didn't realize how much time had passed sketching mudcrabs and skribs, until the gathering darkness made such pastimes nigh impossible. I settled down for the night only to be startled into wakefulness by a rather loud and inept assassin.

Fending him off was mostly luck, but I was able to dispatch him and recovered a writ for my untimely demise. I spoke to a guard, who suggested I make my way to Ebonheart to speak with Appelles Matius, which I did - the walk was quite pleasant. We chatted, and I was transported to Mournhold and informed guards over there of the attack, which hopefully will end their dealings in my business. I returned to Ebonheart and headed for the docks.

I then made my way by boat to Tel Branora to continue my field research on the Mainland.

Not being too finicky, I swam the short distance from the Telvanni island to an inlet bog on the Mainland.

The area is replete with wildlife! I saw cliffracers, Nix Hound, mudcrabs, rats - I even caught a glimpse of what can only be a Wild Durzog! (Note: do NOT approach the Durzog unless you are at least a moderately skilled adventurer, they are aggressive and dangerous to the unprepared).

The bog is a treacherous place. In the mists, I saw the stonework denoting a Daedric Ruin of immense proportions. I've made notes to return for an expedition once properly outfitted and when I've got some real dirt under my fingernails. The ruin is situated disconcertingly close to the road, but I was able to pass by unmolested.

It wasn't long before I located the small coastal village of Darnim. My report on this town will follow shortly.

-Dark Helmet, Spaceballs
Jaberkaty

Delnim and northern environs

Post by Jaberkaty »

19 of Last Seed

After the noisome swamps of the Inlet Bog, dodging wild animals and avoiding large Daedric ruins, seeing the rustic buildings that comprised Delnim seemed like an oasis in a frightening wilderness.

Not a booming metropolis by any standards, this coastal town has limited, but vital services for a weary traveler. There is a boat service to Helnim and Marog, as well as an alchemist and trader of general goods. Though both have limited amounts of gold, it is still a good starting point.

The Windbreak Hostel is not a bad place to rest your head, provided you do not cross the proprietress Charna gra-Mohl. She has a reputation around town of not suffering fools gladly (or without violence). However, she provides not only beds, but will repair gear for a modest sum and offers a decent spread of food. The rooms are rustic, but serviceable. Try the scrib pie!

After reconstituting myself, I continued north along the coast, collecting samples of flora and fauna I came across an aquatic insect that the locals call the Ornada. It is docile, though its meat highly prized, and if you can find a Queen you can also gather its eggs. Unfortunately, the one I chose to sample was diseased and I contracted the aptly named "Shakes."

Once out of the swamp the landscape became more temperate, with grassy fields of wickwheat and prickly bushes of Hackle-Lo. I found a tuber that I've since identified as Hamum, various roots can actually be combined into potions of many virtues that revitalize the body and spirit.

I stopped to see if I could take refuge at a nearby shack only to be attacked by a Nord brigand that had already plundered the hut. The fight was brief, and little was left in the dwelling of note, but the hammock was in good order.

-Dark Helmet, Spaceballs