Cell/Region Specific Music? Can it be done?

Place where the game's audio assets are produced.

Moderators: Gesshoku, Lead Developers

TylQuigley

Cell/Region Specific Music? Can it be done?

Post by TylQuigley »

I've just started working on a TR-inspired soundtrack that I'd love to have a part in the mod.
However, I've been writing these tracks as atmospheric accompaniments to specific areas (One for Port Telvannis is already my favorite).
As it stands, putting these tracks into MW would be as easy as drag and drop, but to be able to make them cell/area specific (or even just Mainland specific) would really make the transition from "A bunch of tracks that gets played everywhere and is somewhat related to TR" to "Hey, that's the Blacklight theme".

I remember the 'Bitter Coast Sounds' mod from some time ago. Now I don't know whether the sounds the author replaced were already region specific, or whether he somehow implemented this into an .esp or something (never downloaded the mod).

If anyone with knowledge of the audio-side of modding (other than replacers) could help me out and stop me writing a load of tracks designed for specific places that will end up getting played in Balmora, that'd be awesome.

Thanks.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

There is a Xiran's ambient music mod already for Morrowind, so yes, it is doable with a load of scripting.
Of course TR lands are not covered with this mod so it would be great if you could create some ambient music.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=7899

I suggest that you download Xiran's mod and see for yourself what he has done. (Don't worry with the scripting if you are not confident in it, I am sure somebody else would be willing to help with that if necessary.)

Also remember there is a lot of new land introduced in TR. The best way would probably to get permission for Xiran and extend his mod for mainland as well.

EDIT: I am not sure if Open Morrowind will not have some option to define ambient music for specific regions builtin already in the engine, but this I cannot confirm or deny.
THEO
TylQuigley

Post by TylQuigley »

Theo wrote:There is a Xiran's ambient music mod already for Morrowind, so yes, it is doable with a load of scripting.
Of course TR lands are not covered with this mod so it would be great if you could create some ambient music.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=7899

I suggest that you download Xiran's mod and see for yourself what he has done. (Don't worry with the scripting if you are not confident in it, I am sure somebody else would be willing to help with that if necessary.)

Also remember there is a lot of new land introduced in TR. The best way would probably to get permission for Xiran and extend his mod for mainland as well.

EDIT: I am not sure if Open Morrowind will not have some option to define ambient music for specific regions builtin already in the engine, but this I cannot confirm or deny.
Thanks for the reply, I'll check out that mod. Do you know if Xiran is still modding? I may try and get in contact with him if so as my knowledge of scripting is next to zero (actually zero when it comes to Morrowind).

Someone posted that Open Morrowind should have these capabilities, but I guess we're all still waiting.

I think I'll push my focus to creating TR-inspired music designed for general /explore in Vvardenfell/Mainland to get started.
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

The [url=http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1446961-wip-morrowind-acoustic-overhaul/]Morrowind Acoustic Overhaul[/url] is a revolutionary mod project which includes several .esp's to add new functionality to Morrowind's "sound engine". One of which focuses on music!

With the music plugin, you will be able to easily make region and cell specific music play by placing invisible activators into various cells.

PeterBitt has stated that he intends to make a TR add-on once TR is completed. But something unofficial could be whipped up after MAO is released.

So regional-specific music is definitely something which could be implemented in TR.