Artifacts Brainstorming

Brainstorming, discussing, and drafting of the Master Plan happens here.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Ragox
Developer

Artifacts Brainstorming

Post by Ragox »

Artifacts Brainstorming

Hereby I'd like to propose an idea concerning how to possibly handle the integration of new artifacts into TR.

I think it would be great to allow everybody to submit their own creations and then the team lead can decide later on what to include and what not.

But there should also be a focus on creating types of artifacts that did not receive much attention in the original game, like for example light and medium shields, spears, one handed longblades and so forth, in my opinion.

So the way I'd imagine it, there should be a cell named "TR Artifacts" that everyone can download and use as a base to place their artifact designs into (as a new plugin).

To demonstrate this I created these two files, one being the base "TR_Artifacts.esp" and an example of how to properly add an artifact design into it named "TR_Artifacts_01.esp".

So the next person would upload his or her file named "TR_Artifacts_02.esp" and this way we would just collect designs until we have a good amount of well done artifacts.

Finally someone would then get the task to look up fitting locations to place all the artifacts the team lead decided on.

Please let me know what you guys think.
Attachments
TR_Artifacts.ESP
Base Plugin
(2.81 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
TR_Artifacts_01.rar
Example Artifact
(256.64 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Not sure I completely understand, but I think this is probably a neat idea.
Test
EJRS
Developer

Post by EJRS »

Just a small note on the subject: I personally feel that it is important that each artifact has some sort of story behind it. It needn't be a very long, epic and detailed story, but just a little something to fit the artifact into the rest of the world we're building here. It doesn't necessarily have to be told in game either, although it is nice if it is somehow hinted.

One benefit of this is that this might give suggestions as to where to place these items, another is that it might make it easier to connect the artifact to a potential quest. It also ensures that the item seems in place rather than out-of-place in the game world.

I'm a big fan of making things feel like a part of a larger, plausible world.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Not sure I understand either,

Especially why the "cell" and .esp format?

If by 'design' you mean the story, nature and effects of the artifact, it's much easier to read a description of it and its stats here than have to go dig into a file. If design= the model (mesh and textures), it should be judged on its technical merits by a modeller, not off-handedly ingame.

Also from looking at your .rar file it seems to use Phijama models, which afaik don't really fit stylistically (nor technically - hyper-high polycount, reflections...) with TR_Data's contents
Ragox
Developer

Post by Ragox »

EJRS wrote:Just a small note on the subject: I personally feel that it is important that each artifact has some sort of story behind it. It needn't be a very long, epic and detailed story, but just a little something to fit the artifact into the rest of the world we're building here.
I totally agree, we could also add a book similar to the Famed Artifacts of Tamriel one.
rot wrote:Not sure I understand either,

Especially why the "cell" and .esp format?
Well the cell would just be for having a quick and easy access to the artifacts ingame.
The .esp format doesn't matter, ideally it would be integrated into the TR_Data.esm, just like the TR testing cell is.
rot wrote:Also from looking at your .rar file it seems to use Phijama models, which afaik don't really fit stylistically (nor technically - hyper-high polycount, reflections...) with TR_Data's contents
I thought it fits quite well, but it was just meant as an example anyways. Surely there are better models around :)
cookie16
Developer

Post by cookie16 »

I don't think we should place any of them in map 1 & 2.
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

edit: I don't want to post just in reply to cookie. I think developing some new artifacts for TR is a great idea. But I think the structure being suggested here is unnecessary.

I think just having a thread for sharing artifact IDEAS and MODELS is the way to go. If someone has a great IDEA then someone else may be interested in making a MODEL. If someone has a great model that they or someone else made, maybe someone can think up a backstory for it (which won't necessarily make it into the game, fully). Or maybe some exceptionally talented people can come up with both an IDEA and a MODEL.
cookie16 wrote:I don't think we should place any of them in map 1 & 2.
Eh, why not? The Telvanni love ancient, magical artifacts.
cookie16
Developer

Post by cookie16 »

Melchior Dahrk wrote:
cookie16 wrote:I don't think we should place any of them in map 1 & 2.
Eh, why not? The Telvanni love ancient, magical artifacts.
They are going to be redone eventually.
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

cookie16 wrote:They are going to be redone eventually.
Ah, so you're talking in the short term. I was thinking you meant absolutely.

But in all honesty, overhauling maps 1 and 2 is probably at the bottom of priorities right now. So if a modder were to place a couple swords and potions in areas of those maps I can't see it being a big deal. But that's just my opinion.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Plan is for the Skull of Corruption to feature in the TG questline.
Test