Treasure hunt chests

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Treasure hunt chests

Post by Theo »

It was originally my idea to put the 22(or so) new TR keys that appear on some leveled lists as a random loot to some use and having corresponding 22 chests with some pretty reward scattered randomly in some remote locations.
While this added a purpose and some fun to trying to collect the keys and claim these rewards, which was quite a long run quest it is quite obviously painfuly "gamey" and I question if it fits with the general direction TR is going.
So I would like to ask, whether it would not be it wiser to remove all those random treasures and also remove the keys from the leveled lists and use them only as "templates" for some unique keys with actual purpose?
I still don't think that it is a good game design to have player find randomly some keys, which actually do not unlock anything. Although it maybe realistic it is annoying as hell from a gaming perspective.

Alternatively if this idea is still plausible, perhaps putting some thought on what should go into these chests and how they should be placed would not be out of place. Maybe even some backstory why and how this came to be and a regular quest with journal for keeping track of the location of the chests and which of them have been already opened by which key would be nice too.
THEO
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

As a player I probably wouldn't want to trigger a quest spanning unrelated locations by looting a key... also find these misc keys extremely & needlessly misleading to begin with, agree they should be removed from levelled lists regardless of whatever else happens.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Each key should be at least unique, if nothing else, so having them as a part of leveled list is probably a bad idea. After having them removed from the leveled lists the current treasure chests on map1 lose their purpose.
So I would be for removing the keys and in future if we want to make a similar quest, maybe plan intentionally.
THEO
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

There are better ways of disseminating loot, ones that reward skill and exploration rather more than blind chance.
Test
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

I propose hiding the (unique) keys in the corresponding chests' cells for now

(detectable by the Detect Key spell or not =?)
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Better have the keys detectable by magic. The Detect Key spell is nigh useless as it is.
Bero
Reviewer

Post by Bero »

It doesn't have to be quest. We can just place notes with hint and little of backstory.
Completed Morrowind Interiors: 47
The trice sealed house withstands the storm.
Dormichigan64
Developer
Location: Stop trying to see where I live, you creepy bastard! (Kingston, Ontario)

Post by Dormichigan64 »

I honestly don't see why this is a bad idea. I think sometimes we think a bit too deep. It's like finding motifs in ESO. A pain in the ass to find them, sure, but who cares? It's still fun; find them, hurrah. Don't find 'em, meh.
"When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. And life will be all like 'what??'" - Phil Dunphy's Phil's-osophy

(\_/)
(-.-)
(>_<)
Shhh, bunny be snoozing. lolcatz