Peninsula of Veloth

Place to discuss history, story, character development, questlines for factions and other specifics.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Peninsula of Veloth

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

Sload wrote:
Yeti wrote:The Peninsula of Veloth marks where Veloth supposedly departed Morrowind, continuing his wandering farther into the east.
Hey, I don't like this!

Veloth continuing further east is secret apocrypha denied by the Temple. Its not supposed to be the standard, known account, but (if it is incorporated into TR) something the player learns somehow. The Temple hold that Morrowind is the chosen land that Veloth travelled to where the Tribunal would achieve his Endeavor and guide the Chimer/Dunmer as the chosen people of forever. The Temple cannot hold that Veloth kept travelling east, what does that make them for not following him?

The Temple's position is that Necrom was the end of the line for Veloth. That's why its a holy site. Probably he died there; that's why its where they do death rites. Probably he was walking until he died as well.
This is the first I'd heard of this interesting bit of TR apocrypha. Based on the coordinates I found in another thread, (46,-18), is the peninsula around the same latitude as Necrom?

I'm asking because, if he headed East from there (presumably towards Akavir), then he'd be heading very close to or through where I have located Lyithdonea, the Azurian Isles. It'd be fun for me to tie this apocrypha into my own mod, mentioning how he passed through the archipelago. Perhaps there could be some relic of his left behind.

Is there more information tied to this? Was TR's intention to suggest he went on to Akavir? Did some Chimer go with him and potentially form some of the Chimeri settlements on the islands between Tamriel and Akavir? Such as on Cathnoquey?

I'm just curious since I'd like to make my mod friendly with the lore of TR. Always good to have collaboration of a sort.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Like any good myth there should be parallel truths to it. Suppose Veloth indeed reached Akavir, suppose he walked the air through the gates of dawn and dusk and was taken to Moonshadow by Azura, suppose he's still walking and will do so until he does a full circle and emerges from the west. Suppose he fell of the cliff and drowned.

Suppose Veloth is the reason Nerevarine will journey to Akavir later in the lore. Though we shouldn't go there.

Decent relics are always a plus, though Veloth is such a mythical character anything directly related to him should be really well thought.

[url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Shrine_of_Saint_Veloth]Aarght. TESO gives us Veloth's burial in the middle of nowhere[/url]
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

I'd certainly intend to have my own House Azura mythos surrounding his fate, naturally. I was simply curious how thought out this notion was at TR.

As you say, there's so many possible things different groups might claim.

And screw ESO's shrine. They have a lot of messed up lore about Morrowind. Mabrigash for instance. :P

Since Azura is the one who gave Veloth the gift of Prophecy (and Boethiah Revolution and Mephala Tact), perhaps if I did make an artifact of his in Lyithdonea it'd be related to that.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Re: Peninsula of Veloth

Post by Sload »

Melchior Dahrk wrote:Is there more information tied to this? Was TR's intention to suggest he went on to Akavir? Did some Chimer go with him and potentially form some of the Chimeri settlements on the islands between Tamriel and Akavir? Such as on Cathnoquey?
this idea percolated into TR through the Temple Zero Society, where it originated as a part of the PGE2 project, which was describing a Tamriel intentionally inconsistent with all established lore. Somehow the fact that the idea "Veloth went further east" came from a totally alternative universe was lost as the idea spread and TR people were fucking making a "Peninsula of Veloth" as if its just the normal story that Veloth kept traveling.

Yes, in the PGE2, which is what Cathnoquey was from, there were more Chimer in Akavir where Veloth kept traveling to. The PGE2 section on Morrowind, which I posted here as A Million-Eyed Insect Dreaming, ends with Veloth departing Morrowind (in PGE2, not actually called Morrowind) to continue traveling east.

Its really hard to use this "apocrypha" effectively because the "official" story has no presence as things stand. I rather wish this idea hadn't somehow snuck into TR, because its become a part of the normal conception of Veloth - a big part - which is far from ideal.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Re: Peninsula of Veloth

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

Sload wrote:this idea percolated into TR through the Temple Zero Society, where it originated as a part of the PGE2 project, which was describing a Tamriel intentionally inconsistent with all established lore. Somehow the fact that the idea "Veloth went further east" came from a totally alternative universe was lost as the idea spread and TR people were fucking making a "Peninsula of Veloth" as if its just the normal story that Veloth kept traveling.

Yes, in the PGE2, which is what Cathnoquey was from, there were more Chimer in Akavir where Veloth kept traveling to. The PGE2 section on Morrowind, which I posted here as A Million-Eyed Insect Dreaming, ends with Veloth departing Morrowind (in PGE2, not actually called Morrowind) to continue traveling east.

Its really hard to use this "apocrypha" effectively because the "official" story has no presence as things stand. I rather wish this idea hadn't somehow snuck into TR, because its become a part of the normal conception of Veloth - a big part - which is far from ideal.
I see! Thanks for the info, sload. I completely get your meaning. (I loved Million-Eyed Insect Dreaming by the way - probably my all time favorite bit of apocrypha - I had no idea it was from the PGE2 project).

In light of this, IF the mere possibility of his continuation is even remotely referenced in my mod, I will be sure that it is in the most minute way I can think of. A sandal on the Eastern shore or something to that effect. Though naturally a literal sandal would only serve as an allusion, not an actual relic. In any case, the time period when Veloth would have passed through the archipelago would have been prior to settlement by House Azura.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

If there were some way to establish the official story of Veloth more firmly than it is right now, then this apocrypha could be played with in TR.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

Sload wrote:If there were some way to establish the official story of Veloth more firmly than it is right now, then this apocrypha could be played with in TR.
I've always wanted the vagueness surrounding Veloth to be dispelled or at least reduced.