About this section.

Development of the Northeastern side of the Thirr Valley. Primarily Indoril land. Contains Almas Thirr, Dondril, and Roa Dyr.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

About this section.

Post by Swiftoak »

So I'm proposing we adjust the sections in "Map 3" a little to accomodate the current state of things.

I'm proposing we shrink the current Othensis-Thirr section to exclude Othrensis (A6), and A4W. This is easy as the section files are still split into their old Map 3 Detailing boundaries. What we have left in this section is M3A2 and M3A3 which fit thematically into what should be reconsituted as the Indoril-Thirr section. We can handle this in two ways. We can merge A2 and A3 into the Indoril-Thirr section file, or we can choose to keep them seperate, simply renaming M3A2 into the "Indoril-Thirr North Merge" and A3 into the "Indoril-Thirr South Merge" (which reflects how we do work in Andothren-Thirr). Those threads will obviously need to be moved/announcified on this forum.

Now onto what to do with Othrensis and A4W:

Othrensis: This was never really part of this section, and is in a much lesser state of finish than the TRV itself (which could bottleneck future releases). It was also never split off from A6, which is fine. Given the indoril problem, and the general likelihood that we want to re-examine the Alt Orethan at some point in the future, I feel for thematic and pragmatic reasons, this needs a section of its' own. The few posts talking about the Alt ORethan and Othrensis can be spun off into the new Alt Orethan section. This will basically be the existing M3A6 with the 36 cells of Almalexia cut out + some spillover into the Mainland.

M3A4W: This can be easily folded into the OE section, since plans for that area are already being discussed in the OE forum, plus I figure quests will be more tied to OE in that area. It's so very small anyways, that this seems pretty much a givein.

A map outlining what I mean.
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Sounds fine to me. I support making the current NPC claims into North and South files.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

Cool.

The only reservation I have with the two-file method is that the way A2 and A3 are split doesn't really make sense if you want efficient work flow. Almost the entire section is in A2 (Roa Dyr, Dondril, Almas Thirr), while A3 is an awkward L shaped claim considering of a few wilderness cells to the South & East.

I would like if it were possible to move Almas Thirr to the south merge. Therefore, work on it won't be tied up with whatever we want to do with Roa Dyr. Yeti this is your beast, so I would assume you know what needs to be done with Almas Thirr. Is it alot of work, or not much? We could go either one or two-file for the secton merges depending on the cirumstances and state of things. I'll also start the Indoril-Thirr section merge threads in proper format once we sort it out.

As for the forum, I'll talk to arvisrend about renaming it to Indoril-Thirr if nobody else objects. Not sure what we should do with the Othrensis/AO related threads (I count only 3). I don't think we're fully ready to open another section, so I suppose those threads can stay for the meantime, or be moved somewhere else temporarily.
-Hippocrates
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

This sounds like a solid plan all around. Nice idea.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Splitting Almas Thirr from the rest of the file sounds like too much of a headache, and unfortunately it does require quite a bit of work, which we can't really commence with until we understand the dynamic of what the Hlaalu-Indoril conflict on the Thirr will look like.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

So do we want to merge them into a single section file then? I see no reason for a seperate "South" merge that's only a a few wilderness cells. Based on what you're saying, the possibility of the two being worked simultaneously is low anyways, so I think just a single section file is fine. I mean it's not as large as Andothren-Thirr.

And yes I agree with characterizing the conflict. Gnomey and I were just discussing this (among a bunch of other things) on IRC earlier today, you should stop by once in awhile :P
-Hippocrates
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

I'm in favor of merging them now, if it will help develop the area as a single coherent region.