Map 3 NPC Claim #3 [Tondollari]

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

TR doesn't follow a convention on shack pathgrids, usually doesn't have them. Unless there's a specific item to get around they're likely unnecessary, could even cause weird behaviour in cramped spaces (thankfully NPCs aren't supposed to move in there)
Tondollari
Developer

Post by Tondollari »

Update. Fixed reported dialogue + interior errors.
Attachments
v3 clean TR_Map_3_Detailing_A3.esp
(2.24 MiB) Downloaded 136 times
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

An incomplete review of the current file.

Overall, Tondollari did good work on this. I hope he returns from his apparent break from TR (he hasn't logged in since May 30).

Changes needed to bring the file in line with the new House Indoril concept + other section planning issues:

Saveri Estate needs converting into a Velothi farmstead owned by a successful non-affiliated Dunmer farming family. The current estate uses the MH set, which will now only see use at Indoril Castle Estates and Almalexia. Also, the estate looks like an Indoril plantation under the current design. The Indoril do not have plantations.

Exterior changes required: Replacing current MH manor with two Velothi houses and replacing the stone road texture with the dirt road one.
Interior changes required: Two new interiors for the proposed houses.
NPC changes required: The Saveri family needs to become a family of farmers. Remove the Bosmer slave.

Exterior changes: We still need someone to make that road through the mountains. I suggest having it pass through the Saveri Farmstead. It will require the fewest exterior changes.

Other comments

The farmsteads could still use second alternate greetings to give a bit more variation to what NPCs tell players.

I don't like the name Saveri. I suggest Savoron, Savothil or Sathir as possible replacement names.

I advocate removing TR_i3-729-Ind from its current location. An abandoned adamantium mine makes little sense lying so close to a road in a densely populated region.

The greeting for the people at the Velonith farmstead might be a little too friendly. A slight rewording of their greeting can fix this.

Outlaw NPCs need their AI Package Attack stats set to 100.

Move the Selyn farmstead DoorMaker into the actual Selyn cell for dialogue filtering.

I think the Saveri and Selyn farmsteads should have localized greetings like the other two farmsteads, as a nice added touch to make visiting these locations somewhat eventful.

What's with the abandoned longship in cell (5, -31)? Seems out of place with no crew in the area.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Does anyone have time to make the quick exterior changes listed above? Once you do, I can create the new interiors and put the finishing touches on this claim, seeing as how Tondollari already said this was ready for review and seems to have gone on a (hopefully short) TR sabbatical.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

I'm going to go ahead and take over this file for NPC and dialogue editing and making the minor exterior changes I listed.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

I've made my previously suggested changes (though I changed my mind on some of them), except for the path through the mountains, which I do not feel up to with my meager exterior skills. I'll put up a claim for the new Velothi Saveri Farm house.
Attachments
TR_Map_3_Detailing_A3.esp
(2.25 MiB) Downloaded 119 times
Tondollari
Developer

Post by Tondollari »

Thank you for your comments & picking up the file. After I'm done with Sailen I will pick it up again for dialogue revisions. Was the creaturing up to snuff?
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

The creature placement seemed fine to me, not sure if any dialogue revisions are required at this point.

I'm also not sure working on on Sailen is very advisable at the moment. We have rather large changes planned for the village in the future,:
Sload wrote:Sailen
A large Velothi town, the last stop on the pilgrims' road before Necrom.

Adjustments: Convert from MH to Velothi.
Dialogue and NPCs will probably transition largely unchanged into the new version, but it still might be best to hold off on any further work on the town.

Glad to see you back, Tondollari.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Sorry about not replying to this earlier, I just looked at your changes in the CS.

I'm not quite sure about having a single large building for the Saveris; I think it is too visually evocative of a plantation manor. The farms and buildings are owned by an Indoril, and not the Saveris, and so there is no real reason for them to have better accommodation than other non-Indoril.

I see a few solutions:
-replace the current large building with two or maybe even three smaller Velothi buildings. They can still all be inhabited by Saveris; I'm really discussing form over content here.
-keep the building, but clarify in the interior claim that the building provides communal housing for the Saveris, rather than being a family farmhouse, as such.
-keep the building and make it a family farmhouse, but give the Saveris some kind of special position. Perhaps the family have long been loyal servants of the local noble. They would still not own the house, but rather the noble arranged for them to have more comfortable accommodations in recognition of their services/whatever.

One could also argue that I'm being too rigid in following the new Indoril guidelines, but as I said I do think the current outward form of the place is misleading.

Edit: also, three minor notes:
1. if you're still considering changing the name from 'Saveri', I think your two first suggestions sound good. 'Sathir' sounds more Khajiit than Dunmer to me. As they're an unimportant family, though, I don't really think their name needs to be perfect.
2. almost all of the corkbulb plants in the nearby field lack any sort of rotation.
3. does it make any sense for ash-yams to be grown here? I do think the subject of Indoril crops would probably be best tackled elsewhere, though; possibly in the Ald Orethan discussion.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

replace the current large building with two or maybe even three smaller Velothi buildings. They can still all be inhabited by Saveris; I'm really discussing form over content here.
Can someone else quickly implement this solution? The other ones require too much unnecessary backstory. Probably best to make this a communal farmstead like the other ones in the claim with multiple families who just happen to own slaves. While you're at it, please implement a mountain road running through near the Saveri farmstead.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I can take this one.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I'm starting to think my recent focus on roads was a mistake. :P

(It's only after I sculpted out the road that I remembered that this region makes heavy use of rock stairs, which would have greatly facilitated the process).

This is done.
Attachments
TR_Map_3_Detailing_A3.esp
(2.25 MiB) Downloaded 128 times
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

This does eventually need a pass to Othrensis.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Gnomey just implemented one.

Good work, Gnomey. I'll post the interiors when I get the time.
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

Just out of curiousity, why is this and A2 not merged into a section file? (rot will probably kill me for asking this question though :P)

Edit: The road heading east from Almas/Roa should be a mainroad for sure, this is one of the main west-east routes of Morrowind and leads directly to the capital.
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

If it's going to be a mainroad, its size probably needs expanding from the initial work Gnomey did.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Yeah. A road map of the area would be good, like I made for And-Thirr. If the road I made is going to be changed to a mainroad, then A6 is going to need some changes too, which was naturally outside of the scope of my work.
Actually making the conversion shouldn't be hard for A3, though; if I had been willing to edit A6, I would have made half the road section a bridge, as the road currently dips down steeply and then rises up again.

Edit: A6 might be more challenging, as it uses those aforementioned rock stairs, but I'm sure whoever does the changes (I would be quite willing to) would be able to come up with something.
But I really do suggest planning the road system out first.
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

This is now deprecated, and merged into the new [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24623]Indoril-Thirr section file[/url]. All work is to be done there now.
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates