cml33's interior showcase

In order to implement content in-game, you must be a Developer. This is the place for you to introduce yourself, and apply to become a TR Developer.

Moderator: Lead Developers

cml33
Developer

cml33's interior showcase

Post by cml33 »

I finally got my account working, so I decided I'd submit an interior showcase. It's nothing fancy, just a simple Hlaalu house. The cell is 1_showcase.
Attachments
cml33_Showcase.ESP
(6.6 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Last edited by cml33 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cookie16
Developer

Post by cookie16 »

Welcome, I think interior showcase are required to be two level Hluulu house, but I can't seem to find where it says that on the forums.
cml33
Developer

Post by cml33 »

cookie16 wrote:Welcome, I think interior showcase are required to be two level Hluulu house, but I can't seem to find where it says that on the forums.
If it needs to be bigger I can make it bigger, but I couldn't find anything suggesting that it needed to be a certain size. Anyhow, is the interior alright, or are there some things that I should try fixing tweaking?
cookie16
Developer

Post by cookie16 »

cml33 wrote:
cookie16 wrote:Welcome, I think interior showcase are required to be two level Hluulu house, but I can't seem to find where it says that on the forums.
If it needs to be bigger I can make it bigger, but I couldn't find anything suggesting that it needed to be a certain size. Anyhow, is the interior alright, or are there some things that I should try fixing tweaking?
I am not an interior modder or reviewer, someone should get to this within the next 24 hours.
Dormichigan64
Developer
Location: Stop trying to see where I live, you creepy bastard! (Kingston, Ontario)

Post by Dormichigan64 »

I don't think so, though I can't be sure. Nevertheless, just try to show your best work and do what the others say is write, and you'll be fine.
"When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. And life will be all like 'what??'" - Phil Dunphy's Phil's-osophy

(\_/)
(-.-)
(>_<)
Shhh, bunny be snoozing. lolcatz
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Welcome, its always nice to have new people wishing to help out.

It appears that someone has edited the Guide to Modding for TR, and inadvertently removed the requirement for 2 floors. I am sorry for that and will have it fixed asap. Yes, please make a 2 story interior for your showcase. There is NO requirement for it to be an Hlaalu Interior.

Here are a few of notes on your interior:
1. Many MW furniture pieces require "F"ing twice to sit flat on the floor. The furn_de_p_table_04 and furn_de_p_chair_01 are two such pieces of furniture. Always be sure large pieces of furniture (tables/bookshelve/etc..) are lying flat on the floor before placing other objects on top of them.

2. When working with furn_de_p furniture, it is helpful to go into wireframe mode ("w"), to see the triangles that make up the piece of furniture. Try to position objects (misc/statics) so that they sit on only 1 (one) triangle of the piece of furniture. Once you have the object over one triangle, press "w" again to return to normal mode and rotate accordingly. All of the items in the middle of your table are sitting on 2 or more triangles - this makes it nearly impossible to have them lay flat on the table. Additional Note: Very large objects (i.e. open books) are very difficult to position properly on furn_de_p furniture because they never fit over just one triangle. These items are best placed on floors, beds or shelves

3. Rugs are allowed to bleed into the floor (especially the really thick ones). Items place on a rug are not allowed to bleed into the rug. You have done this correctly with the round table and chairs. However, items that are partially on a rug must still have all legs resting on the rug and the floor. The drawers in the bedroom needs to be fixed. You can either rotate the drawers so that the back legs lie on the floor too, or just move the rug (or make it smaller).

Just be aware that we are a bit strict about items bleeding and or floating. Most items should rest perfectly flat against each other (exceptions are sacks and clothing). In order to check to see if items are sitting flat on each other, left mouse click the item sitting on top of the other item. You will see the selection box (the red/green/blue lines). Where the two items meet, you should see 4 lines that make up a square (usually these are the red and green lines). These 4 lines should appear as dotted or dashed or sometimes they will flicker on and off as you rotate the view. This indicates that the item is sitting perfectly flat on the other item. If the lines are solid then the item, on top, is most likely floating. If the lines are missing, then the item, on top, is most likely bleeding. If some of the lines are missing, then the item, on top, needs to be rotated more.

Once you've submitted a 2-story showcase, we'll be able to review it. What I see so far looks very good. Cluttering looks good. Your positioning of the sacks is ok - they can bleed a bit more into the floor and or crate if you want.
cml33
Developer

Post by cml33 »

Here's a version of the interior that's two stories.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

I have begun the review and should be done with it later on today.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Sorry for the delay. It took longer than anticipated to complete the review.

This is clearly a mages home, who may have bitten off a bit more than he can handle. Good start.

The file is clean, northmarker set, the light settings are good (from Caius Cosades' House in Balmora) and it's illegal-to-sleep-here. I'll allow the atronach_flame to be in your showcase, but when designing interiors for TR – NPCs and Creatures are not to be included.

The amount of clutter on the de_p furniture is ample, but the first floor could do with some more supplies. I would keep the 2nd floor as this persons magicka lab, with only magicka supplies/items up there. And the first floor would be their living area. So adding some house hold items, or sacks of food items on/under the bench or on a new shelf on the first floor would be a good touch.

The basic structure of the building is fine. Grid snapping work is good. The only problem I see here is the lack of any windows. Add a window or two to this building.

You handled the tapestries in a unique way (at least I've never seen them done like that before). And I like it. Good job. However, most of them have a tiny bleed in the tapestry up at the top, with the large support cross-beam. furn_de_tapestry_12 (-447,576,324) is perfect – make the rest look like this one.

In-game playing:
Always be sure to play your showcase/interior in-game. The main thing to test is: can the player get everywhere. Unfortunately the one chair upstairs prevents the player from easily getting to the closet. Move the chair a bit and it'll be fine.

Sack Work:
Your placement and bleeding of the sacks was pretty good, but they could all do with a bit more bleeding, and a little bit of rotation (1-3 degrees) in the X or Y direction would help too. Also the pillow on the bed needs to bleed a bit more.

Rug work:
Good job with the rugs. That's exactly how I handle those thick rugs with the tassels. Just remember, rugs can bleed into the floor – but items on top of the rug can not bleed into the rug. So I'd make the rug, at the top of the stairs, a bit smaller, so that it is not under the bookshelf. If you want to leave it this way, then the bookshelf has to be tilted, so that the one front leg is on the rug, and the rest of the legs are on floor.

The following items need to be fixed:
FLOATERS
Gold_001 (-548, 513, -22)

MINOR FLOATERS
furn_de_p_table_02 (-145, -86, -127)
furn_de_p_chair_01 (-192, 476, 135)

BLEEDERS
active_de_p_bed_04 (-419, 437, -127) Leg into wall, bed into floor
bk_AffairsOfWizards (-481, 520, -94) into table
furn_de_p_chair_01 (-222, 301, 133) Into floor
furn_de_p_table_04 (-160, 289, 131) Into floor
furn_de_p_table_04 (-162, 467, 131) Into floor
light_de_candle_blue_01_64 (-550, 432, -14) Into shelf
light_de_candle_blue_01_64 (-551, 505, -14) into shelf
misc_com_bottle_06 (-123, -91, -92) Into table

You also need to work on item placement and rotation. Everything on the bookshelf needs X and/or Y rotation, with the exception of the center small chest – you did a good job rotating that one – continue that work with everything else. As for the furn_de_p tables – I can see you tried to rotate stuff here, but with the exception of the mortar, everything else is either floating or bleeding into the table. Work on these some more. And if you want, you can remove a few items from the bookshelf or tables. I really only need to see about 10-15 items, perfectly positioned, on the de_p furniture to consider you skilled enough to move on.

Be sure to read over the sections on “Furn_De_p Furniture:â€Â￾ and “Checking To See If An Item Is Floating Or Bleeding:â€Â￾ in the updated “Interior Showcase Guidelinesâ€Â￾ located here: [url]http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24655[/url]
If you are having problems seeing the wireframe of the tables or bookshelf, I find it helpful to move them (with everything on them) someplace outside of the interior, position the items, then move everything back.

Don't fret the amount of work that needs to be done. Think of it as practice. Once you get a handle on how to rotate and place items on un-level surfaces then you can concentrate on the aesthetics of your interior. You show real creativity here - keep up the good work.
cml33
Developer

Post by cml33 »

Here's my second attempt.
Attachments
cml33_Showcase_2.esp
(10.96 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Good improvement – you are getting a good handle on rotation. But you still need a bit more practice. Below lists the items that still need fixing and the issue they have. I can see that you have come across some items that just don't rotate well. For the bk_BiographyBarenziah books, you need to use the following base rotations (X: 180, Y:270, Z:90), then you can use the Y and Z rotations to get them to sit flat on the shelf. Sometimes you have to do that with these models – rerotate them using a different direction to get the rotation you want. There is nothing we can do about that – they are just poorly made models.

You have to also watch out for the ridges and/or valleys with the de_p furniture. The chest_small_02_ingfine2 is sitting on a ridge. So, you have to pick which side of the ridge you want that chest to sit on, then match the rotation to that side. A little trick, I use, is to scale the chest down to 0.5, so that it (and its selection box) fit on one triangle (wireframe view of the bookshelf). Then rotate the chest until it sits flat. Scale the chest back up to 1.0, raise the chest above the shelf, then "f" it into position. Because the chest does not have a bottom, we can not allow it to overhang the ridge. So it must be 100% on one side or the other. If you were to take another item, say a book, and put it under the chest - then the book could extend,into the air, beyond the ridge, and then the chest could be placed on that. Of course the book would need to sit flat on one side of the ridge. These are just ideas - you can do what you want to fix the chest.

The place could still use a window or two.

Once you've made these fixes, I see no problem recommending you for promotion. Keep up the good work.

FLOATERS
barrel_01_cheapfood5 (-299, 275, -125)
chest_small_02_misc01 (-393, 528, 190)
common_ring_05 (-405, 526, 229)
misc_com_metal_goblet_02 (-135, -86, -90)

BLEEDERS
amulet of igniis (-397, 519, 229) Into bookshelf
bk_great_houses (-370, 525, 235) Into scrolls below

MINOR FLOAT
apparatus_j_retort_01 (-178, 239, 164)
bk_BiographyBarenziah1 (-505, 525, 248)
bk_BiographyBarenziah2 (-499, 526, 248)
bk_BiographyBarenziah3 (-493, 526, 248) and minor bleed
light_de_candle_10 (-137, 459, 167)
light_de_candle_14_64 (-130, 277, 167)
misc_com_bottle_06 (-123, -91, -92)
p_fortify_speed_b (-448, 527, 242)
p_paralyze_b (-520, 540, 243)
p_restore_willpower_e (-514, 518, 245)
Potion_Cyro_Whiskey_01 (-448, 515, 236)

MINOR BLEED
apparatus_j_alembic_01 (-136, 223, 163) Into table
bk_AedraAndDaedra (-163, 522, 166) Into table
bk_guide_to_balmora (-377, 526, 229) Into bookshelf
bk_guide_to_sadrithmora (-362, 526, 229) Into bookshelf
chest_small_02_ingfine2 (-492, 530, 191) Into bookshelf – sitting on a ridge
furn_de_p_chair_01 (-195, -98, -122) Leg of chair into table
furn_de_p_table_04 (-160, 289, 131) Into floor
light_de_candle_blue_01_64 (-550, 432, -14) into shelf
light_de_candle_blue_01_64 (-551, 505, -14) Into shelf
cml33
Developer

Post by cml33 »

Thanks for the feedback. Here's my next attempt.
Attachments
cml33_Showcase_3.esp
(11.06 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Usually, we ask people after their 3rd attempt to start a new showcase. However you are so close, I think we can forgo that, and you can continue working on this one. Unless you'd like to start a new one. I leave it up to you.

It appears you missed a bunch of fixes from the last review. Please make all of the corrections below.

Use the scaling trick I talked about before, for the alembic – be sure that the whole selection box is on one triangle – then rotate/raise/lower until the red/green lines at the interface are all dashed. After scaling back, be sure to raise it and “fâ€Â￾ it into position. Some of the red/green lines will disappear – but that's due to the selection box going into the table at another triangle.

MINOR FLOATERS
apparatus_j_alembic_01 (-136, 223, 163)
bk_great_houses (-370, 525, 235) – fix after fixing bk_guide_to_sadrithmora
p_fortify_speed_b (-448, 527, 242)
p_paralyze_b (-520, 540, 243)
p_restore_willpower_e (-514, 518, 245)
Potion_Cyro_Whiskey_01 (-448, 515, 236)
misc_com_metal_goblet_02 (-135, -86, -90)

MINOR BLEEDERS
amulet of igniis (-397, 519, 229) Into bookshelf – just raise and “fâ€Â￾ into place
bk_guide_to_sadrithmora (-362, 526, 229) Into bookshelf – raise, adjust angle to 359.0, and “fâ€Â￾ into place
cml33
Developer

Post by cml33 »

Here's take four
Attachments
cml33_Showcase_4.esp
(11.06 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Congratulations and Welcome to the team. I am recommending you for promotion to our interiors group. It should come through in a day or so.
cml33
Developer

Post by cml33 »

seneca37 wrote:Congratulations and Welcome to the team. I am recommending you for promotion to our interiors group. It should come through in a day or so.
Thanks!
RyanS
Lead Developer

Post by RyanS »

Congratulations, cml33! :D
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand
Ragox
Developer

Post by Ragox »

Congratulations and welcome! :)