Region names

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Region names

Post by Eraser »

When we implement region names to the land we make, we should add the province name in front of the region like "Velothi Mountains, Morrowind". So when players are off the map limit, they can easily tell exactly which province they are in, in areas like skyrim, cyrodiil and high rock it may not be immediatly obvious exactly which province you are in if we just had the names of the regions.

Also are the names Prom used on the map going to be the official region names we'll use for morrowind?
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Fallout2man

Post by Fallout2man »

Shouldn't province be appended before the name though, and not after?

IE: Morrowind, Azura's coast region, Sadrith Mora

Or something similar to that format (province, region, city/town)
Last edited by Fallout2man on Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

As far as I know, Prom got those names direct from the people working on the mods. I believe at least the Map 5 ones are accurate. I don't know the other maps very well. :P
Legolas55

Post by Legolas55 »

Do we really have to name the cell with the province name in it? Can't the player know when they get into another province by looking at landscape, textures, and majority population?
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

I agree we don't really need province name bacause they could just ask a local and really you shouldn't know exactly where you are when you go to a new place.
I think Region is fine.
Geowulf

Post by Geowulf »

And we don't really need the region name in front of the cityname. I mean: There is only one Narsis and one Kragenmoor.. :P Let us keep things the way Bethsoft did it.
Read the Books of Tamriel @ http://geowulf.tamriel-rebuilt.org

Currently doing:
- Bal Oyra interiors fix
- Bosmora, warehouse and indoor market
OOT status:
BoT (v1.4.)
CoT (v1.0.)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Morrowind, Narsis
Morrowind, The Dunmeth pass
Morrowind, The Deshath Planes
Skyrim, Labyrinthia
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

I disagree with your idea, blad, because we want this mod to *seamlessly* blend in with the original game, which must not be changed. That's out policy. And IMO it would look weird if we had our regions named in this fashion, whereas Bethesda did so in a different way.

I don't say your idea doesn't make sense. But, with the current policy, we cannot do it, it's as simple as that. And frankly, even I support this policy. Sorry. :(
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
shadowmoon

Post by shadowmoon »

i agree with that, however it would be cool when you cross a border to have a message at the bottom saying "now entering Skyrim"
Dermatalogically Tested
On Animals
Skurvy

Post by Skurvy »

Yeah, but say you're following a jagged route along a mountain range or something - you dont want "passing into Skyrim" then "passing into Morrowind" popping up every three seconds when you're trying to get somewhere :shock:

Skurvy
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Well, we could just make sure that no jagged route criscrossing is possible, by placing the terrain right ... couldn't we?
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.