Misc quest ideas

Place to discuss history, story, character development, questlines for factions and other specifics.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

rot
Lead Developer

Misc quest ideas

Post by rot »

For something slightly different -

At the bottom of a random cave, you find a character who thanks you for rescuing them, the bandits'/smugglers' hostage. Says they're from the Mages Guild / Archaeological Society / Census & Excise... or somesuch, if you press questions. If you happen to mention it, said organisations would state they've never heard of that character/ haven't had news in months...
Another day in another cave, what do you know, you find that same person again, pretty unlucky getting captured twice, eh?

The character has a random chance of appearing in a number of generic traffick-related caves, running a province-wide thing. Keeps going on till you decide to attack/ find some evidence on them...
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

I like it. Maybe they just appear the first time you enter 10 or so interiors related to his mischief. If it is too few or too random there is a big chance that the average player may never see this quest through. Maybe instead of being captured he is simply there exploring locations like a TR Indiana Jones.

1. When player finds him he claims he works in the field for the Archeological Society. Secretly, he has been expelled for removing valuable maps and other documents marking the location of valuable artifacts!
2. If you inquire about him at the Archeological society you will learn his secret.
3. After killing him the player will receive the documents as loot. They reveal the location of 3 artifacts and a spot where the rogue archeologist has stashed a couple valuables he has yet to sell.
4. Player may keep loot or return it to Archeological Society where they will give him fairly worthless trinket in return for the priceless artifacts.

A possible second quest could be to track down the remaining artifact(s) by contacting the smugglers and persuading or intimidating them into revealing the location and identity of the buyer.

1. Return artifacts. (receive info on smugglers)
2. Persuade (bribe or intimidate) or kill smugglers for location and identity of buyer.
3. Persuade (pay or intimidate) or steal artifact from buyer.
4. Player Gains Reward (priceless artifact)
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

Mundrethi Plantation:

The rather paranoid and controlling owner of the plantation has a matter that requires some discretion. Although plantation owner has been unable to prove any of his suspicions, he suspects, among other things, someone has been laying with his mistress. This may be a rogue hiding nearby or one of his own servants. Find out what it is. In this quest you must interrogate suspects, do some searching in the interior and exterior to match clues from the mistress' quarters and elsewhere. You can watch the upper apartment to see if the suspect shows themselves.

clues:
i4-511-Hla & exterior

excessive dirt tracked in her apartment -could have been anyone

Option #1 - Investigate Clues:

1.shared interest in moonsugar and skooma - maintenance

2.lockpick - maintenance

3.dropped tools and soiled clothes (add these) in nearby wooded area- obviously maintenance guy.

Picking up correct items will create journal entry

Option #2 - Creeping:

Watch the mistress' apartment from a distance at night. Once the repairman has picked the lock and snuck inside player may confront them.

Player is given option of confronting both repairman or mistress. After confronting, mistress she will cry and explain they are in love and that the master there is a violent and unpredictable dunmer and attempts to control her with skooma. In bouts of madness he often locks her in for weeks and that with any accusation of misbehavior a day might will pass without food. The repairman will tell you he initially took pity on the mistress by secreting food to her after hearing her late night cries of pain. He will ask you not report their action to allow them both to be together and escape the murderous wrath of the plantation owner.

The reward for mercy will be some quality repair hammers and a modest amount of coin. The reward to reporting the mistress and handyman will be a larger sum of gold, wrongly accusing either of the other servants will result in a much smaller sum of coin, them being beaten and leaving his service (there is lesser proof). If you report maintenance guy and mistress, the plantation owner will enter the residence and murder the handyman and mistress. The furniture in upper apartment will be overturned to show a violent struggle.

associated interior:
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=323824

Discussion:
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24767
Last edited by sasquatch2o on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

Indoril Charity Quest
-ihavefivehat

"I like that charitable giving is a prominent part of Indoril society. It shows that there is something genuinely admirable about their traditions, and allows the player to sympathize with their insistence on preserving them. However, maybe some nobles lose sight of the original intent behind this practice, and instead use generous giving to the poor as a way of showing off their wealth. Perhaps one of the early quests could involve the player helping a noble outdo a rival in terms of caring for the poor. This could become a sort of goofy thing where a single hapless vagrant gets caught in a charitable arms race between two nobles and ends up being pampered to a ridiculous degree.

I also came up with the idea that maybe as a coming-of-age ritual, Indoril young men are expected to spend some time living the life of an ascetic at a monastery. This is ideally a time for meditation; to gain a deeper understanding of their religion and reflect on their duty as a member of the ruling class. However, it would be telling if some of these monasteries ended up as a sort of luxury retreats, with the monks being forced to pamper the spoiled young nobles.

In reference to slavery, I think the Indoril should consider their treatment of slaves to be civilized and humane. They pride themselves on treating their slaves relatively well, especially compared to the Dres or Hlaalu. Slaves who are household servants might become trusted members of the family, and maybe there is a tradition of nobles freeing dutiful slaves on their death beds. However, this would only apply to human and elven slaves. Betmer would still be thought of as cattle and be treated deplorably."
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

Adamantium Prospectors: i4-478-Red
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24187&highlight=

The guards in exterior outside mine will direct player to the interior saying the prospecting is taking longer that expected. If player misses them quest will start in cave. Prospector there is nervous to go further into cave because he is a coward. He asks you to bring back evidence of a sufficient supply of adamantium. Simple quest. Collect X amount of adamantium from the cave. Player may give adamantium to prospector for reward or attempt to keep it and the cave a secret.

-claim there is none - prospector knows you lied
player keeps all adam BUT the prospector leaves and when character exits cave he will be confronted by the prospector and guards (combat)

- very little - personality check
<success> you hand over a portion of adam
prospector expresses disappointment but comments he will be paid well for his expedition regardless.
the cave and prospecting camp are abandoned

<fail> prospector suspects you lied
the prospector leaves and when character exits cave he will be confronted by the prospector and guards (combat)
---------------------------------------------------------

Approached by or speaking with prospector (something like this):

"OH! You scared me just then. Tha, eh - its alright. You could help me you know."

"This cave has me on edge. I swear I heard sounds from inside the cave or saw something in the shadows. I'm just not cut out for this you know? There is adamantium here in this cave, I'm sure of it, I just need someone more adventurous than myself to help prove there's enough. If rumors are true, a whole lot of coin is in this. That's why I've chased rumors to this spot from Cyrodiil. So listen-"

"Collect some samples to show this cave has a supply of adamantium worthy of a mine. Bring me <X> adamantium and you will be very well rewarded."

The cave is empty except for darkness and a massive amount of mineral deposits.

Discussion:
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24769
Last edited by sasquatch2o on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

Another simple misc quest. It would be fitting for either barrow complex or between the couple lower ancestral tombs in Reich Parkeep tunnel i5_56_Red.

The Undead Traitor:

Visiting a tomb of greater ancestral ghost the player finds old friendships and hostilities remain, even after death. The ghost was a great warrior and in the tomb/barrow are many heirlooms, but his most prized possession is not among them. Greater Ghost tells you a story of an old friend and brother in arms who betrayed his trust by taking from him his axe after he had fallen in battle. Player is tasked with visiting the traitor's nearby tomb and returning the artifact in exchange for a choice of another heirloom stashed in the barrow/tomb.

Goto the traitor's tomb.

The traitor has the axe in his tomb, but demands payment for it. Not for himself, but his family, who in recent years have become impoverished through foolishness and vice. His descendants make an annual trek to pay their respects, leave offerings and ask for guidance and protection in the coming year. He wishes to bless them with coin when they arrive next. Give the traitor 3000 gold and you may leave with the axe and without a fight. Combat will involve player, traitor and several OP goons. Doors will lock until all are killed.

Return axe and choose one of several unique rewards.

"Both my head and that precious axe. Lost - in the same damned day! I was beside myself, sick with rage. Return the axe! Restore my pride and my family's honor and have your choice of any other possession."

Discussion:
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24769
Last edited by sasquatch2o on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

Lady and the Tramps:

A woman has gone missing in OE. Player learns this through rumors or request for help from her husband. Investigating their home will reveal no clues.
Leaving town through main gate, player will pass a group of travelers outside OE collecting themselves either after a long journey or in preparation for it. They tell player about suspicious campfire lights they had seen. As they passed, the travelers had heard screams and loud chanting. "Experience has taught us to avoid such things, especially at night. On the road curiosity is rarely worth the risk.. The nearest tavern, is it this way?"

New journal entry comments that you suspect the recent nightly appearance of the camp may be related to the disappearance of the woman.

If player has already been introduced to the "information broker" you may, for a small price, consult with him at the tavern where the travelers will be staying until quest is completed. He will tell you the date of the woman's disappearance and first mention of nightly appearances of the camp roughly match.

Information broker opening response:
"I am no one. Go away." (unknown)
"Information, for a price." (known)

Investigate rumors.

Following road south at night the player will approached by several beautiful women who invite you to their gathering in the woods. Around tall bonfire there is are a half dozen, half naked revelers. Most are intoxicated.

A woman matching the description given is there cavorting with a couple of the men. She asks you tell the husband nothing in exchange for favors. Screen dims if you agree and in the morning the party will be gone. Declining will result in her crying and some aggressive half nude revelers repeatedly punching you. If you fight back they will all scatter and flee into the dark.

Return to husband in OE and tell him the news or not. For truth he will reward you with their wedding ring. Brokenhearted, he walks to the nearest tavern and remain there indefinitely.

-hear rumors
-speak with husband
-encounter travelers (relocate to tavern)
-consult information broker (optional)
-travel the road from OE south
-several women will attempt to seduce/invite (depending on gender) you to their gathering
-woman is found there alive and very happy
-accept/decline offer
-return to husband for reward (wedding ring)
-he will now live full time at the tavern (travelers leave)

Discussion:
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24770
Last edited by sasquatch2o on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

Arrow of Extreme Importance:
-Tondollari

A Dunmer commoner east of Roa Dyr missed a shot while hunting a guar. The animal, startled, fled the scene, but he can't find where the arrow landed.

This is bad, because this is his lucky enchanted arrow passed down by his father who was a muck shoveler with one eye and one good thumb but nonetheless never missed if he used this enchanted Arrow of Extreme Importance. He must find it.

The commoner will tell the player where he shot the arrow from, and where the guar was at the time. The player will find where it landed, most easily by using Detect Enchantment. The commoner will give a modest reward for returning it.

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=325455
my opinion.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Thank you for compiling all these quest ideas in one place, Sasquatch. It will be useful resource once we're in a position to start allocating misc quests.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

The Simple Life:

Somewhere in the mainland the is a small shack with a small garden and a tired old guar. The interior is neat has few items clutter and what i there is very modest. The hut is owned by a retired adventurer. He lives a simple, but self sufficient life. In years past he has improved the nearby land, hunted and foraged in the distant wood and fished nearby stream. The containers and furniture and tools he has, he has made. In recent years has begun to slow down however and as you speak with him he will mention he knows his years are growing short and his hand unsteady.

The man tells a couple old stories of his and mentions he would to preserve his legacy. For several years Old Man has recorded his adventures with the intention of combining them into a book. At first the writing was to pass the time but as years passed he took to the task much more earnestly. In the he would rehearse the lines as he tended the garden or walked through the woods. In the evening he would write. The daily ritual brought closure to of his early years. However in his old age the man's hand has become too unsteady to fill the remaining pages. His remaining blank pages were to build fire after he abandoning his writing.

If player's INT is high enough you may offer to help complete his written work, but you must first return with more plain_paper(10x), quill and ink. Ink and quill are on a small table in the shack.

Once player returns with quill, inkwell and 10 plain_paper in inventory the man will recite the remaining pages to be transcribed. Old Man thanks player. (gain 1 wisdom, gain 1 int)

Reward:
The Simple Life is added to player inventory.

Optional:
Old Man requests that The Simple Life be submitted to the library at X location to preserve his legacy. Surprise, few still remember Old Man. The work is accepted into their library for a small reward due to condition of the pages and obscurity of author. Submit book. (The Simple Life placed on dusty shelves)

Reward:
200 gold

Discussion:
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24771
Last edited by sasquatch2o on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
my opinion.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

My 2*8=16 cents on the quest suggestions, some of it deliberately contrarian:

rot and sasquatch, The Rogue Archaeologian:
Very nice idea. I don't particularly like sasquatch's take on it -- it looks like more complexity but not more story or more fun. I'd have it part of an MG or IAS questline dealing with stamping out a looting-and-smuggling ring, rather than a misc quest: Your faction (MG or IAS) asks you to clear a Dwemeri ruin occupied by looters and investigate the supposedly new passages they have found (an excuse for sending the player to a ruin he might already have cleared). The player fights the looters and frees their "hostage", who claims to be from either the MG or the IAS (maybe depending on what the player presents himself as -- if you claim to be in the MG, the hostage is from the IAS, and vice versa), and squeezes (or attempts to squeeze) some info out of the player; on return, the faction denies knowing this person. At some later point in the questline, the player meets him again, and it emerges that the "hostage" was part of the smuggling operation rather than an MG/IAS member, and the information has been put to good use.

sasquatch, The Mundrethi Plantation:
Despite my initial rejection (Morrowind has few quests dealing with matrimonial trouble), I have grown to like this idea. I would add a little more ugliness to it: the mistress is entrapped in the "care" of her husband by lack of money, lack of contacts in the surrounding cities and her skooma addiction (let's not make it a princess-in-the-tower quest). The player might have to help with some of these to get her out. The player should also have the option of killing the husband and seeing what follows (might and might not be good for the mistress, but she likely won't be grateful to the player).

ihavefivehat, Indoril Charity Quest:
Good idea, needs working out of course. I would also think of a reciprocal version of this quest, where you have to teach one of the highborn novices-for-time some humility (by posing as a pauper and rejecting their offerings?).

sasquatch, Adamantium Prospectors:
Not bad, though nothing extraordinary. It is one of the ilk of quests which pose a "why would anyone trust an unknown foreigner with this" question, but we can live with it. More importantly, it feels like a certain something is missing, something that could liven up the quest a lot. The "prospector" and his guards do not own the mine, and the player is to be the fall guy -- could this somehow be made to work? The "prospector" and his guards are some corrupt mercenaries installed to find who is pilfering the adamantium from the mine, and unable to find a real suspect, they choose to frame an unwary traveler, net the bounty and bugger off?
Oh wait. This is an adamantium cave in Redoran territory; two pieces of context that don't fit with my twist very well. Now I am wondering if we can build a completely different quest, based on (say) an iron mine in Hlaalu territory, using the twist. Leaves the question of what to do with your quest, but I assume you can find something. My point is mainly that legit business going right doesn't often make interesting quests; business going wrong, or shady business, has far better chances.

sasquatch, The Undead Traitor:
Money seems inadequate here; furthermore, these tombs don't see many recent burials (please correct me if I am wrong). Might work with some re-thinking. I don't see how, but the pondering has led me to another idea:
After several generations, a Dunmeri family has returned to Vvardenfell from exile or diaspora. The questgiver -- one of the family -- has paid a visit to their family tomb, only to discover an angry ghost of the long-dead patriarch asking for revenge against another family that he does not know (his ancestors who died before his age probably did, but this doesn't help him much). The player is to help with the revenge, or (better) to advise him whether the ghost should be heeded or the differences put aside. This could be a Temple quest (when the player is in a role to be sought out for guidance by laymen -- this should totally be a questline) or a misc quest. (Here the NPC does have a good reason to involve the player: He needs assistance or a second opinion, and the player, being a fellow immigrant, can help or at least sympathize. He is wary of involving a local, since failure to oblige an ancestor would only shame him in the eyes of the Dunmer.)

sasquatch, Lady and the Tramps:
Not fitting for Morrowind (reminds me of a [url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:The_Siren%27s_Deception]TES4 quest[/url], but without the motivation), and I don't like the idea generally. Cults should have a grounding in lore (which may be new lore, but then has to be elaborated on and reified in several places, rather than just appear for a single quest). Besides, orgies will be annoyingly difficult to implement on the Morrowind engine :)

Tondollari, Arrow of Extreme Importance: [fixed, thx sasquatch]
Twist: the commoner hit his father with the arrow.
Just kidding. Would be fun if the arrow is found inside the guar at the end -- after all, it cannot miss. (I hope Detect Enchantment does find enchanted items on critters.)

sasquatch, The Simple Life:
This can be good if someone can come up with an interesting lifestory and write it down well -- once in dialogue form, once as a book. This might be a challenge, though. A simple life wouldn't do, but a "simple" one could.
I suspect that some of the questlines will lead the player to some hermits (definitely the FG one, but we cannot use that hermit). This misc quest could then be obtained from said hermit as a sidequest.
I generally think we should play around with the idea of employing the PC as a ghostwriter some more.
Last edited by arvisrend on Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

All really great feedback. Some of these points I have thought myself, especially w adamantium prospectors, but I want to get the ball rolling on some fresh ideas. I'd like to create quests that have multiple ways to complete through combat or other skills, give the player some kind of lesson to walk away with, present a moral dilemma, and make the gameworld a more interesting unpredictable place. Even if short and simple I think this is possible. I think more variety in skills used is important as well, I've tried to incorporate some of that in each.

I will respond to your comments more thoroughly later, but I agree with most of it. Once we get another 20 or so quest ideas and consistent feedback I'm sure we can come up with some really stellar misc quests.

Also note Arrow of Extreme Importance was written by Tondollari.
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

rot and sasquatch, The Rogue Archaeologian:

Okay. My suggestion is a big improvement because added complexity allows characters to utilize uncommonly used skills and be able to interact with the smugglers and buyer rather than straight killing. I think it also makes more sense than someone claiming to be a hostage. My suggestion is a journey, one that allows player to delve into the criminal world negotiate without violence and retrieve artifacts, this is not. I also like the idea of recovering a map to multiple artifacts. It gives the player reason to further explore. I also like the idea of other people running around and clearing dungeons of loot beside the player. We dont see this often enough.

sasquatch, The Mundrethi Plantation:
Mistress was a kind word I used to replace whore. A skooma addict and entrapped whore. The woman in this quest is no princess. The player might assume that the repairman is simply indulging in his baser instincts but what makes this interesting is that he was acting out of genuine compassion. The plantation owner also has a wife he is not married to the whore which is why she is housed in an out building. The player does have the option of killing the Mundrathi at any time. In my plan it just wouldnt have any impact on the quest line. The merciful outcome would be lying or delaying long enough for them to escape. How is murder needed to improve the quest and in what way does it, at all? Murder is boring, this is dark, sordid and interesting.

sasquatch, Adamantium Prospectors:
This is an unexplored cave rich in adamantium. Noone owns the cave and it is undeveloped. It is being explored to determine if it is worth the effort of developing a small mining outpost and shipping the extracted minerals to where they can be sold. The prospector doesnt really have guards, they are all part of a contracted prospecting team sent by investors in the imperial city (this detail could easily change). THe main problem with this quest is why would the prospector entrust a complete stranger in the first place. This could most easily be explained by him never trusting the player and rather having you do the work or just being too cowardly. This is shown by player being confronted by OP guards upon exiting the interior.

arvisrend said:
My point is mainly that legit business going right doesn't often make interesting quests; business going wrong, or shady business, has far better chances. ""

Maybe, this could work if this were a mine and they were trespassing. The owner and his guard might show up at the end instead.

sasquatch, The Undead Traitor:
I'm not surewhen this tombs were built. I'm thinking the ancestor is at least 4-5 centuries dead. Recent generations have squandered many centuries of wealth that has been kept within the family (see quest). Frankly, after further consideration I like my idea much better. For one, its cool cus his hatred was so intense that it has survived for centuries beyond the grave. He was really attached to his axe. Second I like how I one hand the ghost is concerned about the honor of his family but also maintains the relationship he had. In your story the player acts out of revenge for a ghost against another ghost from a family he doesnt know for no reason. In mine the ghosts have strong sense of honor and loyalty. One of them is even attempting to provide for his ancestors beyond the grave. I'm not sure about all the lore stuff, but was something I first invisioned while working on some feedback for Gnomey. Player would travel from one ruin to the other and back again.
Money seems inadequate here; furthermore, these tombs don't see many recent burials (please correct me if I am wrong). Might work with some re-thinking. I don't see how, but the pondering has led me to another idea:

sasquatch, Lady and the Tramps:
This isnt a cult its a bunch of getting drunk and having sex, tramps. A tramp:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramp

A tramp is a homeless traveler. The travelers who entered the city either ONE knew and didnt want to admit they knew them because they distrust you and are trying to keep you from harassing or running out their friends. OR TWO were just ignorant and making dumb assumptions (leading you to believe people were being sacrificed and the the chanting was something cult-like.) Of course they don't realize you are a brave adventurer yourself. There is no orgy the screen fades to black and everyone is gone in the morning. Essentially the player just goes to sleep until day. The twist here is that she is there willingly and the player doing what most would consider moral causes the tramp "outsiders" to react with hostility, because you have chosen to be an asshole according to their alternative lifestyle or you have just offended them because you have upset her.

Tondollari, Arrow of Extreme Importance:
The quest is much better as it is. The uniqueness of the arrow is mostly placebo (+1 luck). The guy is just a good shot and he remembers the best shots more than the bad ones.

sasquatch, The Simple Life:
The dialogue would be short maybe even just be "he tells you a story." The good stuff is in the book you receive. This would again be a fade screen. Maybe player wakes up one week later. This quest is intended to only be done by high intelligence characters so a MG questline could be used to draw player here. Other players could encounter the hermit and complete quest without ever engaging in MG business, but only with a very high intelligence. This is meant for scholarly players.

I generally think we should play around with the idea of employing the PC as a ghostwriter some more.

Sounds good.

I must admit I didn't read your post thoroughly enough, I apologize for that. In general I don't agree at all. I still want to encourage you and everyone else to continue with feedback and new quest ideas. I do hope we can limit the thread as strictly as possible to new quests though and the occasional thorough feedback. Thanks again!
my opinion.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

sasquatch2o wrote:rot and sasquatch, The Rogue Archaeologian:

Okay. My suggestion is a big improvement because added complexity allows characters to utilize uncommonly used skills
Allowing to utilize skills (as in character skills, not player skills) is not an improvement per-se. It's just a quest players will delay until they have their speechcraft at 70 or whatever else requirements you want to throw at them. I was talking about your take on the first quest, though; your suggestion for the second one is fine and could be used as part of the MG/IAS questline I was hinting at. I misused the word "hostage" -- it should be just a prisoner taken and used as a slave moderately competent in Dwemeri ruins. I also like the idea of a map, but we should not make trading or collecting into the main part of the questline -- the focus should be more on uncovering the workings of the smuggling ring.
sasquatch2o wrote:sasquatch, The Mundrethi Plantation:
Mistress was a kind word I used to replace whore. A skooma addict and entrapped whore. The woman in this quest is no princess. The player might assume that the repairman is simply indulging in his baser instincts but what makes this interesting is that he was acting out of genuine compassion. The plantation owner also has a wife he is not married to the whore which is why she is housed in an out building. The player does have the option of killing the Mundrathi at any time. In my plan it just wouldnt have any impact on the quest line. The merciful outcome would be lying or delaying long enough for them to escape. How is murder needed to improve the quest and in what way does it, at all? Murder is boring, this is dark, sordid and interesting.
Oops, for some reason I read your "mistress" as "wife". This is a different thing then, and I am wondering whether it is a better one. One question that suggests itself is why the plantation owner would reveal his affairs to an unknown outlander who could immediately use all this information against him. This needs to be explained. You should also give the player the option of disclosing it all to the wife if you proceed with this.
sasquatch2o wrote:sasquatch, Adamantium Prospectors:
This is an unexplored cave rich in adamantium. Noone owns the cave and it is undeveloped. It is being explored to determine if it is worth the effort of developing a small mining outpost and shipping the extracted minerals to where they can be sold. The prospector doesnt really have guards, they are all part of a contracted prospecting team sent by investors in the imperial city (this detail could easily change). THe main problem with this quest is why would the prospector entrust a complete stranger in the first place. This could most easily be explained by him never trusting the player and rather having you do the work or just being too cowardly. This is shown by player being confronted by OP guards upon exiting the interior.
This could work -- as I said, my problem is the lack of some element of ploy, not the question of too much trust in the player.
sasquatch2o wrote:sasquatch, The Undead Traitor:
I'm not surewhen this tombs were built. I'm thinking the ancestor is at least 4-5 centuries dead. Recent generations have squandered many centuries of wealth that has been kept within the family (see quest). Frankly, after further consideration I like my idea much better. For one, its cool cus his hatred was so intense that it has survived for centuries beyond the grave. He was really attached to his axe. Second I like how I one hand the ghost is concerned about the honor of his family but also maintains the relationship he had. In your story the player acts out of revenge for a ghost against another ghost from a family he doesnt know for no reason. In mine the ghosts have strong sense of honor and loyalty. One of them is even attempting to provide for his ancestors beyond the grave. I'm not sure about all the lore stuff, but was something I first invisioned while working on some feedback for Gnomey. Player would travel from one ruin to the other and back again.
Frankly, I find what you write here confusing. I have never said that the player should act out of revenge; the player acts because he was hired (probably with money) and/or asked for advice by one of the ancestor's heirs, and neither the heir nor the player is necessarily convinced that revenge is the right option.

Your quest can work if the two conflicting ghosts are appropriately motivated -- honor and symbolism for the first one, in contrast to realism and actual support for his living heirs for the second. I am sorry because it seems that my original dismissal of your quest suggestion was due more to the cheesy dialogue and the over-the-top scripted elements (let's keep the locking doors and the ghost-summoned ghosts for really badass bosses) than to the actual idea. A ghost caring about the day-to-day life of his descendants rather than only about their adherence to tradition and purity of the bloodline would be a refreshing sight, if properly dialogued.

Of course, now our quest ideas are so far diverged that they can easily coexist.
sasquatch2o wrote:sasquatch, Lady and the Tramps:
This isnt a cult its a bunch of getting drunk and having sex, tramps. A tramp:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramp

A tramp is a homeless traveler. The travelers who entered the city either ONE knew and didnt want to admit they knew them because they distrust you and are trying to keep you from harassing or running out their friends. OR TWO were just ignorant and making dumb assumptions (leading you to believe people were being sacrificed and the the chanting was something cult-like.) Of course they don't realize you are a brave adventurer yourself. There is no orgy the screen fades to black and everyone is gone in the morning. Essentially the player just goes to sleep until day. The twist here is that she is there willingly and the player doing what most would consider moral causes the tramp "outsiders" to react with hostility, because you have chosen to be an asshole according to their alternative lifestyle or you have just offended them because you have upset her.
Passive-aggressive insults aside, I see what you meant now. I still don't think this fits Morrowind.
sasquatch2o wrote: Tondollari, Arrow of Extreme Importance:
The quest is much better as it is. The uniqueness of the arrow is mostly placebo (+1 luck). The guy is just a good shot and he remembers the best shots more than the bad ones.
I prefer my version. But yours allows the player to return with a snide remark about the arrow not being that lucky after all. Let the quest implementer decide.
sasquatch2o wrote: sasquatch, The Simple Life:
The dialogue would be short maybe even just be "he tells you a story." The good stuff is in the book you receive. This would again be a fade screen. Maybe player wakes up one week later. This quest is intended to only be done by high intelligence characters so a MG questline could be used to draw player here.
OK, so it's just the book, but still, someone really good at writing should write the book, particularly if the quest requires a high intelligence. Despite the quest name and the hermit's own avowals that his life is simple, the lifestory should be memorable or the quest isn't good.
sasquatch2o wrote: In general I don't agree at all. I still want to encourage you and everyone else to continue with feedback and new quest ideas. I do hope we can limit the thread as strictly as possible to new quests though and the occasional thorough feedback.
Well, this thread is currently limited to new quests, and I don't see it running off on tangents. Some of the discussion will be heated and some will be subjective, and this all is within the matter at hand -- quests are, above all, stories; as with literary criticism, there is a lot to disagree about and only so close one can come to compromise, and yet the efforts going into the debate are not wasted and something better comes out in the end.

This said, thanks for your contributions and feedback too!
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

Curse of the Webspinner - II (misc)
-Tondollari & sasquatch

Possible Addon:
Player searches cave and finds Mephala. Has chance to make pact after completing a task to prove loyalty and ability.

-Declining pact Mephala will tell player how to cure the "gift"as reward for task
-Accepting pact reward Mephala with the perception of knowledge "within and without"

Mephala's Gift:
receive quest through hermit
encounter Mephala
complete test of loyalty and ability
choice:
1-kill hermit (he wasnt worthy of gift)
2-(persuade) complete alternate to help hermit

1 Murder Path
- kill hermit
- return to Mephala
- make pact or refuse
++decline - "fool!"
++accept - receive Mephala's Gift with pact

2 Clear Conscience Path
-persuade Mephala to give an alternative
-complete alternate test
-return to Mephala
-Mephala offers pact
++decline - return to hermit to find him murdered
++accept - receive Mephala's gift
-follow Mephala's instruction
-return to hermit cast Mephala's gift to receive hermit's confusion (10 min debuff)

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24763
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

Kwama Mine Corruption:

Quest. Player has to inspect the mine, interrogate multiple people and search a few of the interiors. The paper on each stack of crates notes the proper count. At one point in supply chain the count is off. You then is who has frequent access or control there. Interrogate people about what they have seen and their suspicions. Eventually attempt to uncover hard evidence. Once you discover the guilty individual(s) they are already gone. You gotta track dem down. I figure this was potential low level Redoran quest or a misc one. It a Redoran kwanza mine corruption quest. Player likely sent there for an independent investigation of corruption in village due to major shortfall in supply. As a second possible quest once you stop the corruption carts transporting the eggs are being raided and player has to defend supplies or track down several bandit camps.

I'll expand on this later.

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/files/maps/4-36Village.jpg
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24190

Discussion:
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=325738#325738
Last edited by sasquatch2o on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

The Gentleman Bandit:

Its a shame the player isnt able to interact with most bandits along the road or in caves. Most are instantly hostile so we dont get to learn much about them. I'd like a questline that involves several groups of more discerning bandits. This quest will help remedy that. Gentlemen bandits. They dont pick on the weak, usually, because they most often dont have much of value. The group of bandits in this quest only rob wealthy outlander merchants and occasional imperial supply wagons. They have been left alone mostly because their take has always been fairly small, they are difficult to track and they rarely harrass locals. Recent escalation in raids against imperial supply on roads near Old Ebonheart has raised the ire of the the head of the Imperial legion. A recent shipment was carrying a imperial arms and some personal affects was seized. Everyone suspects the the gentlemen bandits. (shipment might be better as food for legion and valuables purchased by legion commander himself since arms are likely shipped in not taken by road)

Bandits will be in three camps along the road. A forth will appear only later, deeper in woods. Bandits will be nonhostile to player and you are well known they may even invite you to drink in their camp.

1. Hear talk of the bandits in Old Ebonheart Castle and among guards.
Speak to Old Ebonheart Commander

2. Tasked with stopping the raids and retrieving personal items
-Player is given intelligence that three are three camps on road leading into OE. Several attempt have been made at apprehending or killing the bandits, but they are always gone or relocate before our attacks. Commander believes someone is reporting to them from within the Legion. An outsider, someone relatively unknown among the Imperial Legion in OE is needed (the player).

If you know information broker you may consult with him, but he will refuse you information. (Gentleman Bandit is using Information Broker's informants in the Imperial Legion regularly and is under his protection.) If player has spoken with Information broker about bandits the will greet you saying. "We were told to expect you."

3a. First camp (one of three). Speak to men in one of the camps.
-they will refuse to take you to leader, if player bribes they will attack.

3b. Second camp (one of three). Speak to one of the men in camp.
-they will agree to take you to leader with sufficient disposition, if player bribes they will attack.

3c. Third camp (one of three). They take you to leader. <screen fade and spawn at main camp at night>

3d. Main camp - There are many OP bandits here, enough to end most players.

Leader attempts to cut a deal. They will stop harassing imperial supplies if player leaves w.o fight and prevents continued attacks by Imperial Legion.

Agree: Player receives commander's personal items and future protection payments (weekly)
Decline: Fight. Collect commander's items.

4. Return to Old Ebonheart. Give commander his personal items and confirm there will be no further bandit attacks on imperial supplies. The bandits are defeated.

Result:
Camps reoccupied by Imperial Legion guard if agreement was not made.
If agreement was made Gentleman bandit will pay player protection weekly. (this can be collected through one of their contacts in OE).
Gold reward from Legion Commander

An agreement with the gentleman also creates a new contact. Player may return to main camp for odd job.

Discussion:
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=325739#325739
Last edited by sasquatch2o on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

Odd Job:
Criminal contacts may give player an odd job.

Odd jobs will introduce player to new groups within criminal circles or use player as intermediary between legitimate and illegitimate contacts. May include seeking a pardon for criminal in hiding or finding the appropriate fence for strange items. As player's list of contacts grow their ability to complete odd jobs and available options with contacts can expand. This isnt so much a quest itself but an idea of how to create new dynamic social content within TR, specifically in criminal dealings where things aren't always straight forward. Their function could be self contained within single quests or questlines but could potentially be used to create persistent relations between player criminal contacts and misc quest content. For faction and guilds everything is mostly in the open progression is driven by advancing through ranks.

Example of contacts:

Bandit
Thief
Smuggler
Fence
Goon
Information Broker
Informant

Example of odd job:

Bandits have found odd item among common goods in recent seized shipment. Smugglers they typically deal with have no sense for the value of such rarities. Contact an appropriate fence for more information of the object.

Player knows Thief and later meets fence. In dialogue you may mention Thief to fence. This will trigger a new questline. ie fence/thief ripped off and you are blamed etc.

With high enough dispensation, connect smuggler and bandit leaders in same region. Each offer a needed service. After mediating a deal between groups a new quest option might be activated.

These may be poor examples but I think they are decent enough to explain the kind of dynamic content that could be possible.

Mentioning one contact to another could give player direction to new opportunities. Once that is completed new combinations are opened. For example player knows Bandit who knows Thief, because you know both a quest is opened. They are at conflict with Goon who you have yet to encounter, but through Information Broker you can etc. Most quests in Morrowind progress in a very linear way. I think a handful of nonlinear quests made possible by the combination of in game contacts could make things really interesting. One of challenges would be directing the player enough to be able to find such content. If organizations were are used instead of individuals this might be easier. I'm hoping this makes sense. I may expand on this later, write up a couple examples, or drop it altogether if something like this would make scripting too much trouble.
Last edited by sasquatch2o on Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

Corruption in the Guard:
This is a variation of the last bandit quest idea. The guard is corrupt. Goods headed toward X town are being intercepted by bandits. Instead of the guard complaining the merchants are grumbling and player hears the rumors walking around town. After speaking with merchants, you find several who are willing to enlist your help since the guard has been unable to protect shipments. Take care of bandits and receive reward. Finding them isnt easy they stay well hidden until goods are on the road and only attack when they can easily overpower the caravan. Use disguise? Walk with caravan from neighboring town to the one having all the trouble. While wearing the disguise they will attack.

Somehow player finds the leader of the guard has been receiving payments from bandits for information and protection.

1. After killing them search corpses and discover note detailing the items in shipment and time it would be expected. Player finds this odd. Return to town and tell merchants what you have found, show them the note. The merchants recognize the parchment and writing as belonging to the leader of the guard in town. Show this to the Hetman, mayor or whatever the leader of town is called and confront leader of guard with this information. Leader of Guard will be imprisoned and new trusted leader is replaces him.

2. One or to of the remaining bandits are too wounded to escape into the woods and beg for mercy. They claim the guard is corrupt and they will prove it in exchange for leniency. Take them to the prison to be interrogated. In addition to their testimony they have with them damning evidence the guy is corrupt. Some guards confess to knowing about the payments as well and the leader of guard is imprisoned and executed.

Running Out the Bandits:
New guy may have a follow up to sort out remaining corruption in and around the town.

Discussion:
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=325741#325741
Last edited by sasquatch2o on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

The Troublesome Guar:

Farmer has a guar that has been nothing but trouble. He wants to be rid of it, but doesnt want to butcher the guar. She (the guar) is too old, too tough to be any good for stew. He is a busy man and has work more important than dealing with the guar to do. Give him X gold and take the guar to nearby market to be sold at profit. Easy enough you think, but its not.

Give farmer the money and he will give you some food items to help control the beast. After feeding guar her will follow. On the road there are several passerbys she will attack all of them causing them to flee. Guar will not chase, but becomes distracted and will wander each time until fed. Arriving at the guar stalls outside OE speak to the handler. He will inspect the guar and be over eager to buy her off you. For double the money guar handler will buy guar. With adequate barter skill player may receive more.

Discussion:
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=325742#325742
Last edited by sasquatch2o on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

Not A Fan:
This quest involves a persistent hater. The character will regularly stalk you. This may be triggered by quest or entering the area. He will show up in multiple interiors sometimes in group, but typically by himself. He wont say anything, rather he will simply stand there, staring. If confronted he will make snide comments. Eventually something triggers him to pathetically assault the player with a knife. After killing the hater player finds his journal full of some ramblings. Much of it is about his anger toward the player. Some wrong he had suffered. Later multiple thugs, friends of his, will confront you over his death. Mention whatever it was you did to wrong the guy and how you murdered him in cold blood. They are unreasonable and will attack. After discovering Hater's identity, the player has option of confronting his widow to put issue at rest. After killing Hater and the thugs there are no further confrontations related to Not A Fan.

Discussion:
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=325743#325743
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

The Courier:
Player will deliver a package in exchange for a package of increasingly higher value in a series of deliveries. These may by drops where player sees noone or meetings at several locations. As the quest progresses the danger and value of packages exponentially increases. The final exchange the player will be attacked for whatever is being carried.

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=325992#325992

Setup I - Forcing Their Hand:
Player is contracted by someone powerful to get a political enemy (target) to do something corrupt that will either force them out of their position or have them imprisoned. Target of this mission is given opportunity and false motive to take sums of money that are intended to be stored in treasury. After player has successfully entrapped target player only needs to report the crime. The contractor will take the place of target.

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=325993#325993

Setup II - The Hand That Feeds :
Contractor wants to tie lose ends by having the player eliminated. After a couple failed attempts by hired thugs to end the player contractor will work up accusations against you and attempt to acquire a writ of execution. If you in Morag Tong you learn of this. You may issue a writ of execution of your own to take care of the issue by seeking out the Morag Tong or using existing influence (I'm not sure on lore accuracy here). A third actor will take the position left vacant.

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=325994#325994

The Judas:
Player find a dunmer in need of assistance. They have been attacked and are standing at side of road. Alternately maybe they are actually actively under attack at the time of your meeting. Either way the guy is too wounded or afraid to make it back to town alone. Walk the guy back town. Once you have done this he invites meet up with him at local tavern to discuss <something> and a potential quest. The Judas drugs player's drink and leaves with an amount of coin scaled to player's level <fade screen>. Outside the tavern some of the "gang" associated with those who attacked the judas are there waiting for the guy but had missed him. They too have been robbed. The group offer a reward and will be inside tavern until quest's end. Asking around town folks will tell you the general direction they saw the judas go. Judas can be found in the woods nearby, already murdered, money missing. Return to the tavern, present the judas' bloody shirt and tell "gang" the location of body for reward.

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=325995#325995
Last edited by sasquatch2o on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

Weird Voodoo:
Quest for magic type character. There are rumors of some weird voodoo emanating from nearby cave. Spirits come out an wander near its exterior sometimes harassing travelers, demanding answers to questions they cannot understand. At night this problem escalates. People in nearby homes don't dare to be out because of the creatures. Brave adventurers have come before attempting to clear the place but the spirits always return, demanding answers. Enter the cave slay the spirits. Clues as what happened there are strewn around the interior. It seems a cult was fascinated by esoteric knowledge long ago. Some left after losing faith in their purpose, those that remained were driven mad in their thirst for understanding some spell craft mysteries. Deep in the interior will find an altar with an ancient tome containing the mysteries so many could not understand. The time is unnaturally heavy so it cannot be placed in inv. attempting to take the book causes extreme dmg. Notes beside the book give instruction after reading those and the tome unique spell 'weird voodoo' will be added to player. Cast the spell whole standing at altar if able. Wisdom >80 primary effect occurs without negative result. Wisdom >50 some ill effect (player takes some dmg and several hostile spirits appear). Wisdom <50 player suffers major ill effect (take heavy dmg many hostile spirits spawn). At 50+ wisdom the spell successfully dispels curse (spirits must be slain if any remain). Wisdom check may be replaced with appropriate skill.

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=325996#325996
Last edited by sasquatch2o on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

The Weasel:
A wealthy plantation owner/ lord / someone with power and authority (the man) has employed someone in their service for many years who they now believe to be conniving and disloyal. The weasel came into the man's service at a young age. The man is a generous guy and over the years the weasel showed himself to be a valuable asset, close associate and friend. Weasel was gradually entrusted with more power and influence but in recent years has become over inflated. Rumor of his ill manner has reached the mans ear. Investigate.

The man wants someone independent of his service and the influence of the weasel. Player is given several leads:
1. The kitchen
The weasel is a capable brown-noser always sure to observe customs and decency in the right company. Among his many duties are arranging feasts. Apparently out of sight and earshot of polite company he has become increasingly tyrannical. Kitchen staff are at first afraid to speak badly they claim weasel is so kind but their comments seem off. With persuasion or bribe they will tell you the truth. Lately he has been coming in violent hitting the workers once even coming in drunk and defecating in the stew he claimed was ruined. Report this an the man is greatly disturbed he says he will speak with weasel.
2. The treasury/coin
Weasel has been given charge of finances and some freedom to make small use of funds for his own expenses. Claims have been made that his spending has become out of control and record keeping is highly questionable. Investigate. Reading the record book player finds many discrepancies. Speaking with someone there they'll tell player of their doubts in the ability or honesty of weasel. Reporting this the man says he will speak with weasel an require him to repay any unreasonable personal expenses. Someone else will be overlooking finances.
3. Nobel / merchant
Weasel has apparently been speaking ill of the man. Currying favor for himself among locals through acts of kindness paid for by the man, all while claiming he has been mistreated and overworked. Go confirm these rumors that weasel has become a gossip. They will confirm. Reporting back the man will be deeply hurt by the news. The man says he will speak with weasel and warn him to never publicly speak ill of him again.

After the third report the man will tell player he may be forced to remove weasel from his service. Player will be tasked with finding out any more if possible. The man wants to believe weasel is loyal and that reports of misconduct are not true. Create an opportunity for weasel to prove his integrity.

The test of integrity could be anything. For lack of a good conclusion here is a bad one: Hire a whore and an actor to visit as guests. The whore will claims to be daughter to the guest. Over dinner she is tasked with attempting to seduce weasel and invite him to her chambers. She proves to be as skilled an actress as she is beautiful. When weasel arrives you and the man will be there to remove him. Reward is coin, enchanted amulet of the weasel (an honorary token), a bed in the guest room/ guesthouse should you need it and reduced cost of services there. Kitchen staff will also be very grateful.

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=325997#325997
Last edited by sasquatch2o on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

Fear & Loathing:

In a small town somewhere in Morrowind a gang of thugs has taken up residence. The hooligans have been harassing locals, getting drunk in public, pissing in the street. They are a general public nuisance. In addition to making fools of themselves in public they have been accused of petty theft and assault. The local guards are afraid to deal with them. Throughout the town townsfolk are speaking about the pests. Since their arrival several drug dens have also appeared. It is believed they have connections with skooma smugglers. The town is a place of limited means. Speak to the leader of the guard, He explains they lack the manpower to deal with running them out they fear reprisals. As it is they have at least been relatively manageable thus far, however things have been slowly become increasingly worse. Open action against the gang is not an option. The jails in town cannot hold the number of miscreants in town. There is fear that if something is done the headache may evolve into the town being fully overrun by criminal elements. Being an outsider the leader of the guard asks that you attempt to infiltrate the gang by brokering a deal with them and gaining their trust. Gain their trust, eliminate their leadership and they will likely dissolve any organization and be more easily run out of town. to be continued (TBC)

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=326014#326014
Last edited by sasquatch2o on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

The Vendor:
Quest features female merchant. The young Breton woman is running what would be a very profitable business out of a cart and stall in some town. She sells alchemical ingredients and potions to locals at a good price. Her kind manner and good prices have given her many regular customers. In addition to selling potions and ingredients she has a knack for prescribing remedies for alms pay whatever illness her customers have. Her home remedies are no secret either she often shares her recipes for free with favored customers and also has a limited selection of potion recipes for sale as well. She knows that her relationship with her customers and her abilities will continue to bring repeat business. The fairly limited selection of ingredients she carries are harvested from the locally and she employs those who harvest them daily for her.

Fees for selling goods from her stall are fairly high. She had been able to easily afford them but since word of her booming business spread the powers that be in town are asking for a rate that is far more than reasonable. In addition to this, the demand for her goods and services has quickly grown beyond what she can supply with her small stall and cart. She needs a larger permanent location with room for her to store goods see to customers needs display her home remedies and dry ingredients. Adjacent space in exterior is also needed for cart and guar so ingredients can be collected from her local suppliers each week. Room in town is limited the apothecary in town would be a great location and has room in exterior to build a stall. Word is the alchemist shop in town is struggling and the bosmer man who runs it is growing old and rather senile.

Go talk to the bosmer alchemist to see if you can broker a deal. Speaking with the bosmer about buying the shop he will become extremely angry. He resents all the business he has lost to the Breton, he has been operating his alchemy shop for far longer the woman only arrived in the last year. He is convinced the woman has it out for him not only is he mad at her but he feels betrayed but the community as well. He yells at player to leave refusing to even offer services and begins to mumble about finding a misplaced quill or not recalling needed ingredients.

This part is a bit tricky, bu somehow player must convince the Bosmer that the neither the community or the Breton harbor I'll will toward him and that the Breton really is a beautiful and kind woman.

Okay so there are several options here some or all might be used. First go talk to the couple people the Breton woman has hired to collect ingredients. Something about them being hired is undeniably heart warming. One might be a halfwit, the other a disabled soldier with one arm or an ex homeless drunk who found peace and purpose collecting alchemical ingredients. All of them were taught these skills by them Breton. Trained and employed paid more than other would be. Get written statements.

Speak with a couple people in town. These folks purchased potions brewed by the bosmer that had some ill effect or were the wrong thing. People shitting fire, burping bubbles, seeing spots, or levitating. They are were definitely upset, but more concerned for their own safety. This is part of the reason many long time customers discontinued purchasing from the old alchemist. Get written statements.

Speak with the Breton woman again. She is saddened to hear the Breton is as upset with her as she had heard. (This is I the reason she has asked player to help deal w this). To help resolve this hostility she writes a handwritten letter apologizing for any misunderstandings. She also has a gift for him a special remedy, one of her own making.

Return to Bosmer give him the notes and the potion. " Ahh, this explains so much" he says. He is not sure how he made such mistakes while brewing potions for his longtime customers but does admit that in his old age he has become considerably more confused, often forgetting where he has placed things or accidentally swapping ingredients. Although he is somewhat suspicious of the potion he after reading the ingredients he says he will try it. Come back in a day and he will be very glad his for the temporary relief from the confusion the gifted homebrew provided and asks that the Breton come and visit to discuss the recipe and terms for sale of the business.

Return to Breton. She will be very pleased. Player receives reward and tell you to visit shop in again in a week. The alchemist skip will be changed around and guar stall added (unique static). When you visit later you will receive a discount and some addition free service. If you are sick she will make potion that will cure you free of charge. This may just be a fade screen or a spell with dialogue saying she has administered the potion.

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24794
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

The Annoying Bard:

In OE there is a traveling bard who has become a nuisance to a one of the people running the city. He mocks him all through the day with witty songs and dancing. At other time he impersonates him much to the amusement of those who watch. The embarrassment it is causing "the city" or at least those who matter, is really atrocious. The bard has become something of a local celebrity, well liked by the common folk in town who enjoy his songs enough to throw him coin needed for a decent living. Speak to the subject of his songs and h will request the player pay the jester to move on, hostility would only make things worse. Player then speaks with bard again offering him the money to move on. The bard accepts the money agreeing to move on, but promptly makes one last impromptu song mocking the subject of his jokes once more. Return to quest giver for coin reward. Player will see The Bard again in another town singing the tune of how he was bribed by X of Old Ebonheart.

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=326021#326021
my opinion.
Ironed Maidens
Developer

Post by Ironed Maidens »

[Town/City Name] State Of Mind

In some town/city there has been a murder of a commoner, male, who was well-liked around the town. The premise of this quest is that the son of the murdered man wants his own personal justice of the killer, while the town guard is wanting to have some empirical justice given. (This quest may only work for Redoran or Imperial settlements, as I think most other places would be on the son's side in regards to justice). The son wants to kill the person who murdered his father himself, while the guards want to apprehend the man and put him to trail. In this quest, there are 2 pivotal roles the PC can fill.

One is to be on the sons side and the other is to be on the guards side. To achieve the level of emotion that would require someone to care enough about which side they choose, there would have to be a bit of banter from the son to set a good image of his father, and even NPC's around the town can show a mourn of his loss as they recall good things he had done for the people with the limited resources/funds he had.

On the guard's side, it can be stressed that they knew the man who was murdered and they know he is a good man, but two wrongs don't make a right and the law must still be followed. Thus a race against each side is set forth.

Starting from SIDE 1: The sons side.

PC will contact the son and listen to his tale about how his father was killed for seemingly no reason and will be asked to look over the father's house to see if there is any hidden clue to his death. Searching the house will reveal a note in a locked and/or hidden chest that details some vague dates and locations. PC returns to the son who asks PC to go to the locations to try and find something out. Perhaps 4 places around town are described, and in 3 places there yields no clues but in one of them an NPC can be questioned (journal conditions must be met, otherwise the NPC says "I really don't want to get involved in this mess.") and it is learned that s/he saw the father meet with some NPC that traveled off outside town to the east. Basically there would be a bandit cave populated by this NPC who could be found and questioned and he would reveal that the father owed him money for Skooma and never paid up so he was slain. The PC can (A) kill the murderer and tell the truth about the father's demise to his son, or (B) kill the murderer and lie about his father's demise, or (C) let the murderer live and try to get the son to report the findings to the guards, or (D) let the murderer live and lie to the son about the findings.

Outcome A: Son outright does not believe PC about his father being a Skooma addict. Small gold reward given, disposition drop of son.

Outcome B: Son is grateful but upset he was not able to deliver justice by his own hand. PC is rewarded gold or maybe a few potions.

Outcome C: Son will give gold reward or maybe a few potions to PC and will refuse to tell the guards and instead will rush off to kill the bandit himself. PC can travel back into the bandit cave and find the corpse of the son in the cave, speaking to the bandit will result in him finding humor the the matter. Corpse can be looted for low-end enchanted dagger.

Outcome D: No reward is given, son is upset that no justice can be found, and a slight disposition drop occurs.

SIDE 2: The guards side.

The PC will be told about the recent murder of the father and that they have a lead. PC will be pointed in the direction of the local tavern to speak with a supposed witness of the murder. NPC is found and claims they saw the murder weapon on NPC in town. PC confronts other NPC and is dismissed. PC returns to town guard who asks PC to search the NPC's home for the murder weapon. The wounds on the body are identifiable as those from a war axe. PC goes to NPC's home and find a war axe hidden behind a dresser and reports back to town guard. NPC is apprehended and a reward of 200 gold and an Imperial Chain Coif given. Disposition will drop with son.

This is an interesting idea to have 2 completely separate outcomes as the unruly route (Side 1) leads to the actual answer and can have either a tragic end or a decent end. The other route (Side 2) actually ends up having an innocent NPC be found guilty of a crime he did not commit, which does happen in real life. Just wrong place wrong time type circumstances. Feedback/concerns?