Misc Sky objects already in TR_Data

WIP Downloads, Help forum, Bugtesting and Feedback.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Seneca37
Lead Developer

Misc Sky objects already in TR_Data

Post by Seneca37 »

The attached .pdf shows all the Skyrim misc objects that are currently in the TR_Data.bsa file (meaning, we have the meshes and textures). Unfortunately, they were never added to TR_Data.esm for use. I am currently updating the .esm file to reference all these objects.

Adding all these requires a significant amount of work. Before I undertake all this work, my main question is:
What is the plan for them?

Additional follow-up questions:
Who do we envision having these items?
Will they be common, or just for the elite?
Will they only be available in Nord towns?
Do we need all these items?
Do we need dark and light wood versions of each? Or maybe we should use one of our textures (or even a new one).
Are the face counts too high? We could edit them to have fewer faces.

Finally, would someone like to help out by making the icons?
Attachments
MISC_Sky_Items.pdf
(1.75 MiB) Downloaded 206 times
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Hm, I didn't actually know about these, so these are just my first thoughts on seeing them:

-they are obviously an alternate Nord tableware set to contrast with the common and Dunmer sets. We will probably want such a set, as it provides contrast between imperialized Nordic settlements like Dagon Fel and traditionalist settlements like Dunkreath.
-these should probably be common. (And look the part). Though some of the goblets do look rather fancy.
-I'd tend to tie their presence to Nord traditionalism rather than simply Nord settlements. A starkly traditionalist Nord living in an Imperial settlement might use the set, merchants who might be expected to trade with traditionalist Nords might sell the set, a lot of Nord bandits and the like scattered around northwestern Morrowind would probably use the set.
-I don't think we need all of the items, some of them seem superfluous. Though it might still be preferable to use them all for the variety.
-I think we only need the darker variant, but am dissatisfied with the textures as shown in the .pdf. I think it might just be a lack of vertex shading; I'd prefer something like [url=http://www.keeleyhire.co.uk/images/items/full/5519.jpg]this[/url]. We can probably use an existing texture. Dark wood textures from Bloodmoon should work pretty well.
-while I'm not sure if the face count is a problem, there do appear to be quite a lot more polygons than really necessary in most models, especially the wooden pot.

But most importantly, I'd leave off of this for now. Traditionalist Nords are not going to be worked on anytime soon, and we haven't discussed how we want to present them. Unless, that is, someone is really enthusiastic to work on these right away.
10Kaziem
Lead Developer

Post by 10Kaziem »

I agree with Gnomey. Those look really nice, though some vertex shading would be good. It's nice also that they only need two wood textures...
Worsas
Developer

Post by Worsas »

In my opinion, it would make sense for TR to cherrypick 2-3 of these that look a bit more special and retexture them to fit the visual style of vanilla, but keep using vanilla kitchenware otherwise.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

My plan is to keep these items in TR_Data, for the time being, until we get around to discussing how we want the Nords, and there communities, portrayed. At which time, well decide which to keep, which to discard and what all the pertinent values (weight, cost ...) should be.

I've changed the names to TR_misc_nord_.... so that they shouldn't be used in any of the Dunmer or Imperial interiors.