i4-502-Hla

Moderator: Lead Developers

Ronde
Developer

Post by Ronde »

Claiming. Let's see if I can manage to lose coins still during the process :)
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Any ideas as to what you might do with this?
Ronde
Developer

Post by Ronde »

Oh, right, sorry.

Considering it's location I was thinking of a hideout/base camp for some merry group specialized in smuggling/stolen goods. Or could be they just think themselves to be merry while they actually drown their mental problems in booze...

If that sounds a bit too silly I've got backup plans in the form of a secret meeting place for a lovely couple who value their privacy due to their relationship being inappropriate. If that's too romantic the place could be fitted for sacrificing kittens or the like instead.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Well, since we have no kittens in the CS, the last idea is a no go. :(

I do like the smugglers idea, but the secret place for couples to meet has a new and original twist to it.

Try out the romantic spot for couples first. If that doesn't pan out, then go with the smuggler idea.

Due to the doors awful location, the top of this interior should essentially be a hole with a ladder to reach the deeper levels. There are a few TR ladder "doors" (tr_de_ladder_...) in the CS, to help the player navigate in such an interior.

Have FUN!
Ronde
Developer

Post by Ronde »

Thanks, will get on it :)

But... This is preposterous! No kittens, even beheaded ones? Would've thought that as the very primary goal to attain :o

And yea, I thought it could be nice to add something that could support a quest that delves into things other than those related to death or earthly belongings. Well, Nirnly belongings I guess. Such always deepens the world for me at least. Or if not a quest, at least a place that makes the player wonder the detail of life depicted in all it's forms.

If I get enough free time cleared out for this, I'll make two caves. Or see if there's room to expand it into a tragedy where poor lovers never knew it was occupied by scoundrels when they made their nest in there, not before it was too late. Or the other way around. But naturally before I journey that far I'll make sure I get the first piece finished.

And thanks for the hint, takes a lot of time from banging my head to the rocks at the start :)
Ronde
Developer

Post by Ronde »

Considering this is my 1st claim I'd really appreciate some input - I've made a roughish sketch, did check the placement before starting but didn't verify how it fits at this point. Not sensible at all I know, but at the moment I'm more curious if my work seems to be having some fundamental problems in design before I adjust/rework it towards a finished interior. Would be nicer than to actually piece it all together, clutter it and then find out it fits and all but sucks for some other reason :)

Would've made the entrance to the stash a bit more hidden (originally was that way) but that really made it almost impossible to walk through. Might go ahead and rework the platform to be rock instead, it seems darned unstable (well, given there's no supporting beams at this point it's no wonder, but anyway) not to mention it's just been thrown out there without any attention to how they might go together. Other insight welcome.
Theminimanx
Lead Developer

Post by Theminimanx »

Can you update the claim with your rough sketch? It's a lot easier to look at your ideas in the CS rather than relying on verbal descriptions.
The death of vanilla Morrowind will end this prophecy and unite all Morrowind fans again under one mod, one faith, one rule by our divine project. The puppet Morrowind overhaul mods will lay down their arms and bow to our will. Those who do not yield will be destroyed.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Overall the layout looks good. Yeah some kind of support system would be good. Not sure about the bed - kind of a Kinky spot aye? A couple of active_de_bedrolls might be better.

One thing about the door markers - try to position them so that they do not bleed into anything else. If the door marker bleeds then the player can get stuck. This is especially true if the player is levitating. But door markers can bleed into other door markers. So over lap where appropriate.

Be sure to remove the door marker from the main door.
Ronde
Developer

Post by Ronde »

Sorry Mini - decided to write first, then post the file - unfortunately how one does that didn't really seem intuitive for me. The update claim being in the desc bit instead of with the file and progress selections led me to ignore it for the first ten minutes :D

Thanks for the help. Should have time to work on it tomorrow. Unfortunately my gpu died so at the moment I've got an old Radeon 3850 as a temporary solution, choking even with interiors ><
Ronde
Developer

Post by Ronde »

Haven't had as much time to work on this as I would've wanted. Anyway tinkered a bit with some ideas and came up with a support system I myself considered passable - it's on the new file (that's almost all there is apart from some minor tweaks as per suggestions, and even those aren't properly done yet), if it seems odd I'll just grow some rocks from underneath the platform :)

It should be structurally sound as it is, tho, unless burdened excessively from the side near back wall depending on if the beams are (thought to be) resting in cuts or actually fastened somehow. Didn't have nails at hand so... Could've made the angled ones bigger (or smaller) to prevent it but, erm, didn't.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Looks better.

Fixes:
1) Make the non-teleporting ladder teleport the player to the top. This way, if the player is levitating, they can use that ladder too.

2) The passageway to the barrels/crates is too small. My HighElf character could not get through.

3) Do not use any of the TR_misc_nord items. Those are only for Nord interiors.

4) Stick with de_p or de_ex furniture in here.

Suggestions:
1) The fire pit at the top needs some work.

2) The angled support beams should probably be a bit smaller, so that they do not show through the sides of the upper support beams.

3) The lower section can be expanded upon. Make the passageway to the barrels even narrower with more rocks and use the DOOR:door_load_darkness00 to get through it. Then on the other side have a system where possibly some creatures may be found. Don't add the creatures, we'll do that later. There is not a lot to work on at the moment, so expand on this some more.
Ronde
Developer

Post by Ronde »

The fire pit is there just temporarily for the light so I don't stumble into darkness when testing. Just like the lamp, not positioned with any precision. Sorry I didn't mention it earlier, but it is a WIP and not nearly finished.

The joints are pretty standard (angled) housings (dados) between the vertical/angled beams and birdsmouths between the horizontal/angled beams, so they shouldn't be much off, in a way. Birdsmouths are usually used when the supporting beam/plate is vertical and the resting beam/plate is angled, tho, and the supporting beam doesn't usually extend beyond the cut - but making it an exact fit in (roughly) y-axis would lead to flickering, and making it an exact fit in (roughly) x-axis would lead to the bearing part of the horizontal beam to be too shallow. Anyway, I noticed my last rotation hadn't been successful (I was already asleep when I posted the file) so one of the beams wasn't showing one of its sides fully; a silly mistake.

It's a good joint that is very easy to make and restricts movement on two axes (given the only room for serious movement is z and roughly towards +x if the horizontal beams are thought to be somewhat floating instead of embedded in rock), but I've got to agree it looks cleaner and nicer when downsized to a degree where it's either a butt joint or a thin-walled mortise&tenon depending on how you think, and will take that route :) If I misunderstood what joint you meant, please inform.

Oh, and the bread paddle was closest in form/utility I was looking for at the time. I guess I'll make the setting a bit more towards romantic instead of plain kinky, could be easier for some audiences too (those who tolerate murder but not rough play), so two birdies with one stone :)
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Maybe these might be of interest to you
tr_furn_com_shackles
ex_cavern_padlock

Did you download the pdfs from http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24677?
They are great to go through to find stuff.

I think I understand your building terms - but will wait for an update to see if you changed what I thought should be changed.
Ronde
Developer

Post by Ronde »

Well, how stupid of me - I do remember reading the topic before even registering when I was contemplating if I should invest time in the project, but forgot about it shortly after. Will be a huge help (compared to picking an item, dropping in renderer, deleting, going to next one ad nauseum). Thanks for reminding me! And once again, ty for all the tips :)
Ronde
Developer

Post by Ronde »

Been fiddling with this bit a lot with no actual improvement as much of it all has been toying and experimenting with things. But well, here's the iteration number 30 or so to show I haven't forgotten about it. Too bad there's no static fleshy limbs that'd show up in game, I had a blast when I made the skeleton have third of the muscular tissue still intact ;)
Ronde
Developer

Post by Ronde »

Two weeks of traveling, back and basically fried what was left of my comp. Finally got a hold of an old i7-860 and a new gpu so I ended up expanding a tiny bit (a breeze compared to what I experienced with an i3+Radeon 3850 combo). Still need to write down a lil' background story for myself about the place so I can visualize the clutter and flora it needs, as now it's mostly barren.
RyanS
Lead Developer

Post by RyanS »

Any progress to report?
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand
RyanS
Lead Developer

Post by RyanS »

Revoking.

I'll move this claim to the new forums when I have the chance.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

These should be put up on the new forums.