[Idea] Daedric Quests

Place where miscellaneous quests and NPC dialogue are written.

Moderator: Lead Developers

otaku4242

[Idea] Daedric Quests

Post by otaku4242 »

So Clavicus Vile, Herma-Mora, Meridia, Namira, Nocturnal, Peryite, Sanguine, and Vaermina dont have quests in vanilla Morrowind. Perhaps they should be in TR

Vile's "Bittercup" and "Masque of Clavicus Vile already exist in game, as does Nocturnal's "Skeleton Key" and "Bow of Shadows", and Peryite's "Spellbreaker"

Discuss ideas here for how the quests would go about.
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

While daedric quests are imao one of the most interesting kinds of quests I think I have read here that TR tries to focus on the daedric princes that are associated with the dunmeric religion (the three anticipations and the house of troubles, so only the seven daedra that are available as "quest givers" in the vanilla game). Or did I misunderstand that (I hope so, I would love to design quests for the other daedra :-)))?
Why cant I simply use an Elder scroll to make my Clocks go slower?
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I'm not against having quests related to the other Daedra, but I don't think we should put any focus on them; generally miscellaneous single quests, and not all Daedra need necessarily be represented. The other Daedra are simply irrelevant in the context of Morrowind. They bear no real significance to the Dunmer. Worshipping them is really more of an outlander thing -- a niche outlander thing at that -- and you'd probably be much more likely to find someone who worships them in Cyrodiil or even Skyrim than Morrowind. The seven Daedra are far more important to Morrowind and should receive far more attention.
But Morrowind is huge, so it's not like there's not plenty of space in which to accommodate the odd quest.
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

...but we focus on those seven daedra. That means at the end its not like we have 10 quests related to meridia and namira and 2 to mehrunes dagon.
Question: Are we talking about questLINES, maybe from a daedric cult or a daedric prince who chooses the player to be his champion for a short time (or can we imagine that) or just some misc quests to be found all over the mainland, lets say about one for each daedric shrine?
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I would certainly not suggest one for each Daedric shrine as a goal.
Questlines are technically possible, even cults, though probably not full-blown factions, but are basically of no priority; if people are really passionate about designing and implementing them, it should be possible, but we probably won't specifically set aside resources for that sort of thing.
I would indeed expect individual quests; some might be straight Daedric quests as in the vanilla game, others might simply involve the Daedra thematically, like the vanilla Temple quest where you visit shrines of the Four Corners of the House of Troubles.
As for the amount of quests, that's harder to judge. In general, I'd assume straight-up Daedric quests would be more common in areas the Temple has less control over, so Vvardenfell would be at the higher end of density. Speaking purely from the gut, then, I'd assume somewhere around three quests for each Daedra spread across the mainland, slightly more densely in Telvannis, perhaps Velothis, and perhaps Deshaan. The Good Daedra could perhaps get more quests on the mailand; depending on how we portray House Dres, you might expect to find more of them there in particular.

Edit: either way, I don't think we should set a specific number of quests going in; as you say, we shouldn't really end up with two Mehrunes Dagon quests to ten Meridia quests, but at the same time I don't think we should say anything as specific as 'five quests for each good Daedra, three for the four bad Daedra, one quest for the rest'.
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

Okay then, Im going to start^^

Clavicus vile:

A mercenary (lets call him Damian, Redguard in unconventionally combination of heavy armor) tried to make a trade with clavicus. He wanted a strongly improved block skill so that nobody could ever hope to hurt him. Clavicus agreed, but in exchange for that favor clavicus wants the mercenary to break into the house of a noble and steal an amulet, originally forged in coldharbour and worn by a powerful daedra who guarded a certain area of Molag Bals soul prison.
(Clavicus Vile has some special plans with this amulet which fit into what I would call inter-daedric foreign policy ;-))

Now the mercenary sends the player to steal the amulet for him, because he is not a thief and hasnt the skill to do a theft of this level.
As the player steals the amulet, he hears the voice of Clavicus Vile who tells him that the player, not the mercenary had earned the reward and sends him to a shrine where the amulet shall be offered.
Now the player has two options:
1. Give the amulet to the mercenary and tell him what happened. The mercenary will ask the player to talk to Clavicus at his shrine and to ask him to train the mercenary. Clavicus will reluctantly accept that but scold the player for not taking such an opportunity. The mercenary rewards the player with 200 drakes and an enchanted shield.
2. Do what Clavicus said. The player receives the training as a constant ability increase (block + 3). Now he has the option to tell the mercenary what happened or lie to him and say the amulet wasnt where he said.
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

Or this One, related to Vaermina:

A family gets haunted by mysterious dreams, that become more bizarre and disturbing every night. The mother asks the player to investigate those, because both the imperial cult and the temple failed at solving this problem.

The first stage of the quests is to interrogate the family members about the dreams.
The dreams dont seem to seek something special, they only try to terrorize the family members.
Because a friend of the family who slept a night in the house also had those dreams, the player (journal) gets the idea to sleep in one of the houses beds himself.

The second stage begins with the player having a mysterious dream in aforesaid bed in which vaermina talks to him. She tells the player that she was searching for the right person to do her a favor by those dreams and offers the player to let the family in peace if he does a very special deed:
The player has to visit a person in another town and give a scroll to that person, with an obscure, seemingly fragmentary and senseless text.
After the player wakes up, the PC knows the text Vaermina gave to him by heart and gives it to a writer who writes the text on a scroll.

Third stage:
The player visits the person from his dream and talks to him. The person tells him, he had a mysterious dream in which a stranger gives a scroll to him which only he can read. After receiving the scroll the persons reaction is disbelieving and he refuses to talk about it. The person disappears from his house (or at what place he stands) and appears at a Vaermina shrine somewhere else.

When the player returns to the family, the mother tells him that the dreams have ended. She rewards the player with a small amount of gold.

When the player talks to the person who received the scroll, he tells this story:
The scroll told me my whole life. How I was born and raised and how I got where you had found me. And it told me more than that. It told me WHY that all happened. Vaermina had chosen me to be her servant and guided my life as far as she was able to. Its interesting... If she had only sent me a dream about all that, I would have said "well, its only a dream". But I dreamed of you. And as you came and gave me a piece of paper which you coudnt even read - as I dreamed - I knew this was a demonstration of a gods power. Well, there were a certain time going by, but once I accepted my destiny I began searching for a shrine of Vaermina. And now Im here. I know it may sound strange, but... thank you for everything. Here, this is something I saved for the moment I see you again, though I did not expect that this was going to happen. (He rewards the player with 2 grand soul gems and a daedric battle axe)

edit: changed Vaerminas "champion" to "servant"
sirrah
Developer

Post by sirrah »

I'm all for misc quests about daedra-summoning outlanders, but I don't think we should add shrines for daedra outside of the House of Troubles/Anticipations; I feel like that would just be robbing interesting content for P:C or SHotN in exchange for kind of ill-fitting content in TR.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Agreed sirrah; at best, I could imagine a sort of make-shift shrine in a home or something.
Ironed Maidens
Developer

Post by Ironed Maidens »

Though, honestly, I would LOVE to see a few new Daedric statues (a Herma-Mora one would be awesome) that could be used for smaller one-off shrines. I could see there being a few more of these 'other' Daedra shrines on the border of Skyrim and Cyrodiil. Also a new Azura statue could really be awesome, since she is the most important of the Daedra for most Velothian people, I could imagine she would be justified in having a bit of variation on her shrines and having different poses to signify the dusk and the dawn aspects of her. But also I want to see those statues of Old Ebonheart come to fruition as well.... :(
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

Good points. Then I transfer those sketches to P:C. By the way, an improvised shrine in a home, thats a really good idea.
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

Concerning an improvised shrine inside a house:
Why not have in a single house in a town near a border a really small group of (3-4) people who are actually a daedric cult but pretty isolated. They were expelled from their home in skyrim/cyrodiil/black marsh and actually want to travel away from their current location but are not able to do that because of financial problems. The player can simply pay 1000 drakes and they disappear from the game. OR they buy a larger home and settle down "entirely" in the town.

EDIT: Another idea (im sorry ;p): little statues of gods and goddesses, for inside-house shrines, as talismans or such.
EDIT2: Statues can be collectable, cant they? Gather the 9 different statues of Hermaeus Mora :D edit: Okay forget that -.-
Last edited by NathanJ on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
otaku4242

Post by otaku4242 »

Gnomey wrote:I'm not against having quests related to the other Daedra, but I don't think we should put any focus on them
Honestly, this is to satisfy my OCD. It hurts that the others didnt get quests and it drives me quite insane really. I'm not asking for some big grand quest/adventure, just something small like the vanilla game's daedric quests.