The TR website - Input required

Threads related to the general organization of the project.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Anonytroll
Website Administrator

The TR website - Input required

Post by Anonytroll »

So, as most of you should by now, the TR website is being revamped slowly.
And right now, we are 2 weeks away from when I want to test-run parts of this thing, namely the forum and the collaborative page editing things (books and such).

What are some things that you'd want? I can't promise anything, but I'll at least look at it.

What user fields would you like to have in your profile? phpBB features some hilariously outdated instant messenger contact info - I assume that's not wanted anymore. What is?
10Kaziem
Lead Developer

Post by 10Kaziem »

Main webpage:

-- The news page should automatically pull the topics from the news forum so we don't have to post things twice.

-- About/FAQ can be one page and needs an update

-- "Media" is good, but could use an update. It should immediately have cool things to look at when you click on it. Should also have nice links to our various pages elsewhere.

-- Modding has practically nothing in it so it should really just be one page with the name gen.

-- The Join page could probably be part of the about page.

Forum capabilities:
-- update the forum software!

Personal profile: Don't care.
Ironed Maidens
Developer

Post by Ironed Maidens »

Topic tags. PLEASE GET RID OF THE TOPIC TAGS. Hahaha.
Anonytroll
Website Administrator

Post by Anonytroll »

I was more thinking about capabilities, not content. When the user system is up and running, editing anything should be possible for more people.

There's no topic tags (yet), but I'm thinking of extending queue terms to Forum topics. :D
10Kaziem
Lead Developer

Post by 10Kaziem »

New request: make it so that we can post an 800px picture and resize it here to be only 400px so it displays smaller.

The current way to do that is to resize it yourself and upload a second copy. That gets rather annoying.
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

Ironed Maidens wrote:Topic tags. PLEASE GET RID OF THE TOPIC TAGS. Hahaha.
Have you lost your mind!?? We NEED those Xbox and Oblivion topic tags!

No but in all seriousness I was wondering about the picture issue that Kaziem brought up as well.

Also, and I know this is somewhat broad, but we do need a way to monitor work flow so we can see how we're doing with the overall progress as a whole. I'm not even sure of that's possible to implement a system like that, but maybe other people might have some more specific ideas?
Not another memory

...And so my bad karma gets worse
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Profile Info no longer needed:
ICQ Number: - don't even know what that is.
AIM Address: - who uses AIM anymore?
MSN Messenger: - ditto
Yahoo Messenger: - ditto

The rest are ok.
Maybe change Website to Website/Facebook page:

And the rescaling of the images is always desired.
Not sure about whether we want them stored on our site or not. We have had some issues with images changing on the users site and causing some problems where, but those are relatively easy to fixed.
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

In an interior/exterior claim a function thats visualizing the current state of a claim would be useful (or always posting a screenshot^^), so that an esp doesnt have to be downloaded for getting an imagination about how it looks like right now.

By the way, I wanted to point out the system I made of Nots original plan one more time. I have posted it in the pipeline discussion right after the skype meeting.

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24996&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40
-> the post "Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:57 pm "

If the plan with a new technical way to organize the claims completely fails - which may be unlikely, but safe is safe - that plan would work with our current forum as well.
Why cant I simply use an Elder scroll to make my Clocks go slower?
Anonytroll
Website Administrator

Post by Anonytroll »

The rescaling of uploaded avatar (no more linking, sorry) is part of vanilla Drupal. I've set it to 100x100 pixels and 200kb at the moment.

The discussion of the claims systems are currently all over the place and I'd hope to keep it out of this thread and in the others.

For people fields I'll use most of those on the forum, as well as IRC nickname and a bio field then, I guess.

On the topic of workflow and issues, I've plans to make a global bookmark ("Mark as Important" or "Needs Attention" or something) which lead devs can flag on anyt node and add a global block to the (not yet implemented on TR due to styling and user area issues) dashboard.
So people could have current issues as well as personal or global to-do-lists (really little more than one or two small content types set to be limited to persons; in fact we have the global ones already with Community Calls, but they wer never activated, they've just sat there bitrotting).
Anonytroll
Website Administrator

Post by Anonytroll »

Okay, I haven't actually implemented the additional user fields yet.
But I've tentatively activated registration on the main page. There are some quirks, the styling is somewhat weak (there will be a general overhaul when the structure is stable) and there are no fancy things.
But you can register and post on the in-development forums.

There's a dashboard, lead devs have the ability to flag all nodes as Community Calls (and everyone can have their own bookmarks). The kinks and weaknesses can be worked around give time, content, and feedback. Please help.
psi29a
Lead Developer

Post by psi29a »

Is the authentication system through phpbb or through drupal?

I ask this in the context of "redmine".
Anonytroll
Website Administrator

Post by Anonytroll »

Drupal - this is phpBB2 we're talking about. You'd have to create authentication interfaces from scratch.

I've been thinking of converting the phpBB database to D7, but it's too outdated for preexisting tools so I'd have to update the migration scripts and trial run it and I thought TR would benefit from having to start from scratch and keeping the current forums around as an archive only. Only contextualize Drupal.